• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Announces Declining Financial Results & Strategy to Strengthen Development & Blockchain

Ar¢tos

I think they should have taken a look at it. But I'm basing what I'm saying on what Phil has said. I hope that they will take a closer look at first party games that are in development now more than ever. Like people have said, they need to have high rated games and not flops coming out in the future.

He said in the interview on xCast that they didn't take a close look at Redfall, but did scramble people in to help with Starfield. Maybe he trusted that Arkane would deliver on their own? He said he still believes in Arkane to produce great games.

And also the interview was scheduled before Redfall came out.
Nobody buys a publisher known for releasing buggy games with performance issues and suddenly decides to trust them.

Jimbo RN:

devil may cry pizza GIF

Woopah

One of the console makers should have acquired crystal dynamics. I thought Xbox was dumb for not getting them.
MS already has enough aquisitons being done/attmepted at that moment I guess.

SE spoke earlier about selling stakes in some of their studios. Maybe MS should have taken a stake in CD and Nintendo a stake in Team Asano. I would have said that Sony should take a stake in Lumionus, but its probably a good thing they didn't.

yazenov

That 6 percent down could possibly be from not selling your products on a certain platform.

And lose even more money? I mean, SE is smart to wait for the Gamepass money before putting its ports on that platform and risking the low sales and returns on the porting cost.

Unless MS pays for the ports there is no reason for SE to release their games on Xbox. You guys said it yourselves, why buy games when we can wait for them to come to Gamepass. Best value in gaming ect....

Last edited:
Make better games, SE.

You have a lot of talent in your studios that is overshadowed by utterly brain-dead creative direction from the likes of folks like Nomura, who should have retired a long time ago.

Thankfully FF16 looks to brook this trend. The game looks fookin great! Hopefully, it signals a return to form for SE.

ulantan

Third party publishers, how do they work ? Money comes from consumer buying the games.

If they don't want to release their games on Xbox, it is fine, other third parties will
It's more profitable for xbox to pay you if you are selling a Japanese product

feynoob

Banned
And lose even more money? I mean, SE is smart to wait for the Gamepass money before putting its ports on that platform and risking the low sales and returns on the porting cost.

Unless MS pays for the ports there is no reason for SE to release their games on Xbox. You guys said it yourselves, why buy games when we can wait for them to come to Gamepass. Best value in gaming ect....
Not releasing your games to one platform is best way to not build a fan base.

Capcom does put their games on Xbox and their games sell a lot of copies on all platforms.

If square don't want to put their games on Xbox that is fine. It's their properties. They can do whatever that want with it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Get fucked.
This is what happens when you chase nfts.

They have learned nothing.

sony please save square-enix

SmallPinkIndianjackal-max-1mb.gif

Square really wants to go down the Konami way, huh? Fuck Square if so. Love their games but I don't idolize any company.

The day they go under I will celebrate like never before. I'll never forgive them for ruining FF. They've been DEAD to me since they released FF X

Guess Sony's money wasn't enough...

Well that was expected and they deserve it.

It's not like they did in the year before. It was just a bad year for them period.

good, but only 6% isn't enough

Hopefully MS stop giving them this money and tell them to kindly fuck-off.

I know you all want the company to fail for some bitter reason or another, however the company just posted roughly a $330million net profit and this is their 3rd best year ever I believe. Their stock price is up with todays news and up 30% YoY. Talk about an agenda from the OP with the doom spin.

With the likes of FFXVI, FFXIV expansion, FFVII Remake project, DQXII, NieR and KH4 and others still yet to come and the company being profitable and now trimming the fat, I'm afraid you'll be waiting many more years, probably a decade or two before you get your wish. I hope the wait will be worth it. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy their output, which is a lot better and varied than most other publishers right now who struggle to ship one or two competent games a console generation these days.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
And I get it that this is backed by irrefutable proof ?
He is right, since Xbox has shit low console in Japan. They don't have the proper userbase to cultivate fan base who like those games.

Sony has like 9m PS4 and 1m+ PS5. It's why Japanese games sell alot there. Same with Nintendo.

ulantan

Not releasing your games to one platform is best way to not build a fan base.

Capcom does put their games on Xbox and their games sell a lot of copies on all platforms.

If square don't want to put their games on Xbox that is fine. It's their properties. They can do whatever that want with it.
With gamepass it's up to Microsoft to build the fanbase by paying for those games. I can see the temptation to wait for the gamepass deal

cireza

He is right, since Xbox has shit low console in Japan. They don't have the proper userbase to cultivate fan base who like those games.

Sony has like 9m PS4 and 1m+ PS5. It's why Japanese games sell alot there. Same with Nintendo.
Japanese games only sell in Japan ?

feynoob

Banned
I know you all want the company to fail for some bitter reason or another, however the company just posted roughly a $330million net profit and this is their 3rd best year ever I believe. Their stock price is up with todays news and up 30% YoY. With the likes of FFXVI, FFXIV expansion, FFVII Remake project, DQXII, NieR and KH3 and others still yet to come and the company being profitable and now trimming the fat, I'm afraid you'll be waiting many more years, probably a decade or two before you get your wish. I hope the wait will be worth it. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, I enjoy their output, which is a lot better and varied than most other publishers right now who struggle to ship one or two competent games a generation.
They are wasting their money focusing on nfts, instead of using it on their IPs.
Forsaken would have been a good game, had square out more resources and polished that game, which in turn would have sold a lot of copies.

Fabieter

I know you all want the company to fail for some bitter reason or another, however the company just posted roughly a $330million net profit and this is their 3rd best year ever I believe. Their stock price is up with todays news and up 30% YoY. With the likes of FFXVI, FFXIV expansion, FFVII Remake project, DQXII, NieR and KH3 and others still yet to come and the company being profitable and now trimming the fat, I'm afraid you'll be waiting many more years, probably a decade or two before you get your wish. I hope the wait will be worth it. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy their output, which is a lot better and varied than most other publishers right now who struggle to ship one or two competent games a console generation these days.

I buy and play like 90% of all sqaure games. Iam playing octopath 2 rn. That post meant xbox wouldn't have changed a damn.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
With gamepass it's up to Microsoft to build the fanbase by paying for those games. I can see the temptation to wait for the gamepass deal
You need Japanese audience first. Xbox has to sell 1m+ Xbox to do that.
Japanese games only sell in Japan ?
You get more home sales, unless it's big titles. Plus having a lot of home sales is good for Japanese devs.

Mr Hyde

I think they should give away some free games as a nice gesture towards their fans now that they are struggling.

ulantan

And I get it that this is backed by irrefutable proof ?
Think most of your copies are gonna get sold on pc, playstation, and Nintendo. And the one platform that sells the least has been handing out fuck tons of cash upfront for a port. You might as well let them pay for that and some profit on top. If they they are willing to pay for persona they can pay you.

ulantan

You need Japanese audience first. Xbox has to sell 1m+ Xbox to do that.

You get more home sales, unless it's big titles. Plus having a lot of home sales is good for Japanese devs.
They just bought persona on there they are in control of what they get with gamepass

cireza

Think most of your copies are gonna get sold on pc, playstation, and Nintendo. And the one platform that sells the least has been handing out fuck tons of cash upfront for a port. You might as well let them pay for that and some profit on top. If they they are willing to pay for persona they can pay you.
So basically nothing to backup what you claim.

Having home sales is good, ok great. They can have home sales on PS and Switch, this doesn't prevent them for having WW sales as well including Xbox.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey Squeenix, just make good games. It's not hard. I buy your games when they're good, and I ignore you when you don't make good games.

Go_Ly_Dow

They are wasting their money focusing on nfts, instead of using it on their IPs.
Forsaken would have been a good game, had square out more resources and polished that game, which in turn would have sold a lot of copies.
100% agree with you on the NFT crap and that Forspoken was a missfire that needed more attention. I have long wanted S-E to trim the fat, make a few less b/c-tier games each year and put all their artistic and financial reserves into making the bigger kinds of games that people want.

The NFT stuff I don't have an answer too, except that S-E has its fingers in too many pies, from blockbuster AAA games to playing cards so they get carried away. However this isn't the fault of their creators like Yoshida, Kitase etc, so I'm not going to pray the company fails as the industry needs these veterans. Let them learn the hard way once they start to lose some money on this end.

feynoob

Banned
They just bought persona on there they are in control of what they get with gamepass
Gamepass is separate entity.
You need the console to have Japanese audience and have at least 1m sales for the console.

This way, you get more Japanese games, without having to put it on gamepass. As a result, your global audience will have these Japanese games on their console.

Right now Xbox doesn't have that without game pass assistance.

ulantan

Gamepass is separate entity.
You need the console to have Japanese audience and have at least 1m sales for the console.

This way, you get more Japanese games, without having to put it on gamepass. As a result, your global audience will have these Japanese games on their console.

Right now Xbox doesn't have that without game pass assistance.
They can buy the games and the consoles will start to sell

feynoob

Banned
Having home sales is good, ok great. They can have home sales on PS and Switch, this doesn't prevent them for having WW sales as well including Xbox.
Home sales allows other devs to put their games on your platform.

How do you expect your global audience to have those games, when you have tiny presence in that country?

cireza

Show me the big selling Japanese games on Xbox
It is not about selling a lot, it is about making a profit out of it so that it is worthwhile. And if I look at what has been happening in recent years, there are more and more Japanese games, including very niche ones, making it to Xbox. Not all of them coming directly to Game Pass either.

If sales were abysmal as you pretend, Sony wouldn't be blocking major Square-Enix games out of Xbox.

Home sales allows other devs to put their games on your platform.

How do you expect your global audience to have those games, when you have tiny presence in that country?
Because all of these games are released WW to begin with ? So the fact that you sell them in Japan is irrelevant ?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
They can buy the games and the consoles will start to sell
You need to sell the console first. Then the Japanese audience will buy those games.

Right now, PS and Switch are the preferred platforms for Japanese audience. And they buy their games on those platforms. As a result, Xbox gets less sales which results in devs not porting their games to Xbox.

You have to fix point A, before worrying about point B.

ulantan

It is not about selling a lot, it is about making a profit out of it so that it is worthwhile. And if I look at what has been happening in recent years, there are more and more Japanese games, including very niche ones, making it to Xbox. Not all of them coming directly to Game Pass either.

If sales were abysmal as you pretend, Sony wouldn't be blocking major Square-Enix games out of Xbox.
They aren't holding a gun to squares head square isn't dying to put games on Xbox its just that this strategy is making square more money. Microsoft just gotta open thier wallet

Lately it seems that a CEO's job is to just sit down and populate a Powerpoint with as many corporate buzzwords from the past 10 years as possible, rather than actually make real decisions and lead a company to success.

Last edited:
Why haven’t Sony or Nintendo acquired them yet?
You never want to become BLOATED. Plus if either or buys them. They’ll lose deals and financing from the other, which is actually a huge part of their business. That being said, since Sony has made PC a part of their business. It can be viable for them if they further expand the Square-Enix library into PC to get their return in investment quickly.

Mr Moose

I know you all want the company to fail for some bitter reason or another, however the company just posted roughly a $330million net profit and this is their 3rd best year ever I believe. Their stock price is up with todays news and up 30% YoY. Talk about an agenda from the OP with the doom spin.

With the likes of FFXVI, FFXIV expansion, FFVII Remake project, DQXII, NieR and KH4 and others still yet to come and the company being profitable and now trimming the fat, I'm afraid you'll be waiting many more years, probably a decade or two before you get your wish. I hope the wait will be worth it. 🤷‍♂️

How much of that profit was from NFT shite?

Ar¢tos

Because all of these games are released WW to begin with ? So the fact that you sell them in Japan is irrelevant ?
Japanese devs aren't going to spend time, money and resources to make 2 Xbox versions of their games and then risk not even breaking even.
It's much easier and safer to make MS pay upfront for the dev cost + profit to put the game on gamepass.

Kadve

Funny how Square-Enix And Koei-Tecmo have pretty much the same market cap nowadays despite the later only focusing on AA games. Might be telling you something.

Last edited:

wvnative

Well spoken, SE remains my favorite publisher. A variety of games none of which launch buggy and unfinished. People just have a hate boner because they actually don't repeat themselves. It's funny because everyone bitches about AAA publishers copying and pasting games, yet the one publisher not doing that gets constant hate for NOT sticking to old formulas.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
We also acknowledge that some view the very concept of blockchain gaming with suspicion due to what appears to be a bubble in NFT asset sales, the incredible volatility of crypto assets, and the fact that laws, accounting practices, and tax codes are still being established or formalized.

However, I believe that blockchain gaming holds the potential to create new forms of gaming content, and that it represents a new business domain worth our Group addressing alongside
traditional games
Based on this belief, we created a Blockchain Entertainment Business Division in February 2022, marking the meaningful start of our efforts in this field. We have also been ramping up our investments in a variety of both internal and external projects. Rather than limiting ourselves solely to blockchain games, we intend to pursue a wide range of new types of entertainment under the banner of “blockchain entertainment.

Good.
Keep up it up Square-Enix.

Keep it up.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned

That’s a weird reply from you. I am playing Square Enix games since they were Squaresoft. First ff game I played was FFVII. In no way I wish them to go bankrupt etc. but we have to admit that their output is poor compared to years prior. I am not hater, I hope they find their steps again. Meanwhile, I hope they put nfts in their games and you keep enjoying them.
They lost their charm as a company.
Have a nice day.

Go_Ly_Dow

That’s a weird reply from you. I am playing Square Enix games since they were Squaresoft. First ff game I played was FFVII. In no way I wish them to go bankrupt etc. but we have to admit that their output is poor compared to years prior. I am not hater, I hope they find their steps again. Meanwhile, I hope they put nfts in their games and you keep enjoying them.
They lost their charm as a company.
Have a nice day.
Pretty much all S-E related threads, whether its new FFXVI footage or a financials, you get an wave of bitter folks that look to spin a story of doom, so felt like pushing back a little given the company recorded a profit and not a big loss like some are trying to suggest.

I haven't played a single S-E game with mandatory of optional NFTs. Whatever these games are, I havent come across one of them. What are these NFT saddled games everyones upset about? I'd agree with pretty much all here that the company should abandon any NFT product line and divert most of their efforts to making the core franchises shine.

As for losing their charm, I can recognise the efforts they are putting into up and coming games, such as FFXVI and others and give them some praise, when compared to other publishers who are struggling to ship one competent game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom