• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's company culture.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I mean, I don't mean to sound like a cold-blooded, heartless jerk, but it's a video game company and if they were honestly meeting my needs, I would not care one bit about how the employees were doing. But because Square Enix is screwing me over again and again, then part of me does actively want to hear as much bad news about them as I can in some ways.

Which is sad, because their handhelds have been exceptional compared to console output this gen. The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy Type-0, Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and Bravely Default: Flying Fairy have all been very good games.

Unfortunately, and frustratingly, Square has poured more advertising into XIII-2 than any of those games. Mind-bendingly, I've seen more advertisements for a PC rerelease of Final Fantasy VII than I ever saw for TWEWY, DQ9, BBS and DFF combined. And because they continue to employ Toriyama and I'm annoyed by this, I want to assume they've gone totally insane, and look for any sort of confirmation of that I can get, like the Fortune-Teller stuff, or the absolutely insane decision to wax poetic about Lightning instead of actually talking about the goddamn game, six years of closed megatheaters culminating in the greatest hype-backlash in the history of gaming, dwindling presence of Japan side IPs at gaming expos, taking a YEAR to even SAY ANYTHING about localization of Type-0, and so on.

Good God, it's hard not to think ill of the company I once most liked in gaming. And it's all, frankly, because they're not catering to my wants. And I don't consider myself a particularly hard to please guy. I liked XIII, I liked KH3D, and hell, shitty story aside, I thought XIII-2 was a lot of fun and a huge improvement over XIII. XIV isn't my cup of tea, but I'm lead to understand it's going well. But really, XIII and XIII-2 just aren't enough. Especially when I know they're making better games.

Fuck Toriyama. Could there be a worst writer in this industry?

Squaresoft died a long time ago. The Handheld titles are mere ghosts of the past revisiting us.

Daisuke is probably a worse writer but Toriyama and Daisuke are gay for each other, so it makes little difference.

Kade

Are there any Japanese companies that have a flat organizational structure or a non-traditional hierarchy? It seems like if anything needs to change in that industry it's the adoption of new management and organizational structures. Obviously, not all companies can operate the way Valve or Bungie but it seems detrimental to a lot of companies to not adjust due to focuses, goals, project size and number of employees among other things.

imtehman

Banned
SE is in a bad spot.

i'm sure SE would love to release crap sub-hd 6 hour long games every year and get $500 million dollars in 24 hours but that's just not how rpgs work.

But rpgs require 40+ hours of gameplay with a compelling story and great graphics that has to be consistently good throughout the whole playthrough or you get mediocre sales.

What are people basing their idea that the "Enix" (or portables) part isn't affected by larger management issues / employee conditions? Comes off as real damn silly to me. "They make games I like, so of course they are the exception to the dated Japanese approach!"

With the exception of Horii, I feel anything that makes it out of there that makes sense, plays great, and makes some money is a lucky mistake given the methodology there.

This explains why every game they've made in the past 6+ years has been par or worse.

Seriously, how pitiful. 3 of my top 5 favorite games of all time are Final Fantasy titles. However, it's been absolute garbage lately.

jackal27

Banned
I'm really hoping that Squeenix goes down the pooper at this point. Maybe it'll open up some opportunities for RPG devs who are really trying new things and succeeding. Mistwalker, Monolith Soft, and Level-5 come to mind.

I had hope that maybe Bioware would become the next Square, but after the EA buy out... Ugh...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This explains why every game they've made in the past 6+ years has been par or worse.

Seriously, how pitiful. 3 of my top 5 favorite games of all time are Final Fantasy titles. However, it's been absolute garbage lately.

Wada is holding back any possible creativity by limiting the games made to only mainstream products.

Ergo, IP's have great difficulty going through if one is to believe it won't be guaranteed to sell.

----------------

As for me, I'll look at Mistwalker but more importantly Monolith Soft for RPG's.

kuroshiki

Wada is holding back any possible creativity by limiting the games made to only mainstream products.

Ergo, IP's have great difficulty going through if one is to believe it won't be guaranteed to sell.

----------------

As for me, I'll look at Mistwalker but more importantly Monolith Soft for RPG's.

Nah. No way. Mistwalker is worse than Square at this point. They are like paper company. =P

jackal27

Banned

I don't really agree with this. I REALLY loved Dragon Quest IX and Final Fantasy: The 4 Warriors of Light. Two of my favorite RPGs this gen.

I hope you haven't been ignoring handhelds, because they've made some good stuff.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well 6 years ago they made the dumbass mistake of announcing games that weren't even remotely developed.

They gave you a pretty movie and couldn't make a game out of it. And now they are struggling to create the vision that the movie illustrated.

Cyrano

I don't think it's any of the people, necessarily, that are holding the company back. It's their IPs that are holding them back at this point. When you have employees who do nothing but model bricks for roads in the game, you're going to have employees who hate their soulless job.

What they need to do is restructure and put together small teams, probably of no more than twenty people, and see what each of those teams can create, and give them full creative control. Release four or five smaller games (no more than 20-25 hours to complete, and really, if a tight, eight hour experience can be released, more power to em) over a year or two years, and stop asking artists to create the next big empty/full city with no one you can talk to (hi Assassin's Creed III!). They need to get back to their fundamental design aesthetics (sprites, animation, painterly worlds and usage of pastels - see Bastion/Machinarium) and stop trying to create the next graphics boner.

BUT... they won't do that. Sad that many talented artists will be wasted on creating the MOST REALISTIC MOSS. It's funny, but the 3D era of games has not been kind to development studios in terms of quality play and interesting interactions, despite a clear evolution of the medium as a heavily visual one, it still seems that the big companies refuse to build on the strength of their roots (which, for most of them, doesn't involve 3D).

DarkFlow

Banned
I still don't understand why they won't remake FFVII, everyone and there mother seems to want it. People have been asking for years and they refuse. It's like they don't like money, cause I'm sure it well sell a ton.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The book that will be written after the inevitable demise of SE is going to be amazing.

It will be titled Final Fantasy.

I still don't understand why they won't remake FFVII, everyone and there mother seems to want it. People have been asking for years and they refuse. It's like they don't like money, cause I'm sure it well sell a ton.

Double edged blade. High risk. And SE doesn't like risk. And this risk of flopping within a divisive fanbase will crush them.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
As a long time FF fan, XIII being lackluster wasn't nearly as big a deal as rushing XIV out the door to meet some sort of idiotic quarterly sales goal. To say the move was shortsighted really doesn't cover it. It showed a total lack of respect for their own work. That one decision may have single handedly killed their golden goose. The Final Fantasy name doesn't have the weight it did just a few years ago.

Cyrano

That's not a remake, that's a port with some new stuff added in. I'm talking a whole new engine, graphics, the whole shebang.
I don't honestly think it would sell as well as most think. The game doesn't really hold up all that well, plus you know there would be all sorts of whining at anything that was "wrong" with any changes they made graphically anyway. It's Square's sacred cow, after all.

Riposte

I don't think it's any of the people, necessarily, that are holding the company back. It's their IPs that are holding them back at this point. When you have employees who do nothing but model bricks for roads in the game, you're going to have employees who hate their soulless job.

What they need to do is restructure and put together small teams, probably of no more than twenty people, and see what each of those teams can create, and give them full creative control. Release four or five smaller games (no more than 20-25 hours to complete, and really, if a tight, eight hour experience can be released, more power to em) over a year or two years, and stop asking artists to create the next big empty/full city with no one you can talk to (hi Assassin's Creed III!). They need to get back to their fundamental design aesthetics (sprites, animation, painterly worlds and usage of pastels - see Bastion/Machinarium) and stop trying to create the next graphics boner.

BUT... they won't do that. Sad that many talented artists will be wasted on creating the MOST REALISTIC MOSS. It's funny, but the 3D era of games has not been kind to development studios in terms of quality play and interesting interactions, despite a clear evolution of the medium as a heavily visual one, it still seems that the big companies refuse to build on the strength of their roots (which, for most of them, doesn't involve 3D).

Going small would probably only contribute to them becoming irrelevant. They just need to do a better job at balancing things and become for efficient (with their corporate structure being an obstruction to this). They could in theory release a big, glorious Final Fantasy while also making a bunch of portable games and smaller console games.

What they certainly don't need to do is pay too much attention to the echo chamber which is the Final Fantasy fanbase, especially its jaded, aging elements.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They should just become a company for handhelds. They seem to be the only way they make games I enjoy nowadays.

I'm not saying it does, but I hear about people wanting it all the time. They might as well cash in while they can.

I hope you like Genesis.

Juken

I still think they have a real opportunity next gen since ARR will be done (freeing up hundreds of devs) and Luminous will be ready (and not a repeat of the White Engine debacle).

Cyrano

Going small would probably only contribute to them becoming irrelevant. They just need to do a better job at balancing things and become for efficient (with their corporate structure being an obstruction to this). They could in theory release a big, glorious Final Fantasy while also making a bunch of portable games and smaller console games.

What they certainly don't need to do is pay too much attention to the echo chamber which is the Final Fantasy fanbase, especially its jaded, aging elements.
I dunno, most of their most successful and well-loved games were made with relatively small teams compared to the average Final Fantasy now, which has hundreds of hands all working towards something unattainable (Final Fantasy VII-level success). Smaller teams and smaller games was what made them successful (any given Final Fantasy before VII could be realistically finished over a few days of play, games post-VII could take on the order of months if a person couldn't spend entire days playing), and Final Fantasy VII, in hindsight, seems like a game that sold as well as it did because of the time in which it was released, not necessarily because it had some magical quality that made it better than any other RPG.

Even RPGs that are largely considered fantastic by their communities today (Dark/Demon's Souls) still didn't see the level of success that FFVII did. I think that says something about how competitive game markets are today, and that expecting that level of success with anything other than Call of Duty or World of Warcraft (which have entrenched fanbases - not to say that Final Fantasy doesn't, but as most here agree, it's not what it once was) is unrealistic and unhealthy when developing a game.

Kesagiri

Well, I figured Square-Enix's management was holding it back, but I hadn't imagined it was this bad. It's like there's a perfect storm of bad luck and poor decisions hanging over this company. I hope it passes soon so that we can get back to good games that are released regularly, often, and when they're good and ready. I can dream, can't I?

They need to get rid of Wada. He has choked the creativity out of them.

It's sad to think we will never see a game as good as FFXII from Square Enix again. Consider that their swan song

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
But how else can I have Cissnei and Genesis retconned into the story and resurrect Aeris?

I can have VII remade for you if GILGAMESH takes everyone's weapons at the end of the game in turn retconning ACC and DoC when GIL murders the antagonists for looking like girly men and pedo scientists.

Remaking FFVII is probably the worst thing they can do at this point. One of the last things a lot of fans hold on to these days is the mythical FFVII remake, once they crap the bed on that what is left.

They need to regain there focus on what actually made people fall in love with the games they put out before they even think of tackling something like that. Once you sour peoples fond memories of when you put out more good then bad you have some real big issues beyond the current troubles they face.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
1) Rehire Sakaguchi
2) Fire Wada
3) ???
4) Profit

Sakaguchi acts like he's all comfy around Nintendo.

And besides he's said before he's tired of Final Fantasy or being asked about it, The Last Story was a Farewell card to the series if you will.

Since SE Japan cant do anything right at the moment and cant make a new original Final Fantasy that people care about any more maybe remaking FFVII is there only option left to get any positive fan interest.

Buying Edios was the best thing they could have done as a company though. Now they have some decent studios making somewhat successful games that while dont set the world on fire they do keep the money rolling in and shine some positive light on the Square Enix name. They dont need to rely on the Japanese studios to do much now so they are free to continue endless spinning there wheels.

Are there any Japanese companies that have a flat organizational structure or a non-traditional hierarchy? It seems like if anything needs to change in that industry it's the adoption of new management and organizational structures. Obviously, not all companies can operate the way Valve or Bungie but it seems detrimental to a lot of companies to not adjust due to focuses, goals, project size and number of employees among other things.

It's not that it's authoritarian, it's that those in authority continue to make bad decisions or insert knee-jerk changes in direction after dedicating development.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
We just need Ito. That's who Sakaguchi believed was best suited. But in the end will it make any difference?

We just need Ito. That's who Sakaguchi believed was best suited. But in the end will it make any difference?

Changing one person at the very top isn't very likely to turn stuff around alone, the entire company needs a change in attitude and a change in business philosophy at this point to get to where people want them to be.

At least Tanaka can't do what he did to FFXI and FFXIV anymore I guess, but if FFXIV 2.0 shows anything its that they are in desperate need of new project leads instead of using the same ones over and over.

Top Bottom