• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix undecided on adding Dragon Quest XI S’ new story content to PS4 & PC versions

Shin

Banned
Dragon Quest XI S is coming to Nintendo Switch with all kinds of neat extra features, and fans have wondered whether the PS4 and PC versions of the game will get its new story content, but Square Enix says they’ve yet to decide.
During yesterday’s Nintendo Direct presentation we learned that Dragon Quest XI S will feature new stories with each character being their own protagonists among other new content.
When asked if there are plans to release the new stories for the PS4 version, Square Enix said they’re “undecided” on the matter.
When asked about the possibilities of Dragon Quest XI S going multi-platform, square Enix said it will only be on Switch.

Credit: Siliconera

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Do the right thing, Squeenix.

I'm getting the Switch version anyway (exclusive content or not), but don't throw shade on the fans who helped make this a big success, especially in this day and age when DLC like this is not hard to implement.

Shin

Banned
You know I'm laughing my ass off because I skipped this generation, because of how much companies are ripping people off like it's normal.
The choices we're presented with basically leaves you with "take it or leave it", while it's been happening since probably PS3/X360? days it's becoming shittier to get your money's worth.
A game without online components should be equal, you buy it, it's complete across the board and that's that, we have exclusives, 1 year exclusives, missing audio, characters and whatever the fuck else.

/end_rant

mcjmetroid

Undecided = waiting people double dip first
In all fairness though they need a selling points for the Switch version.
Being "handheld" isn't going to cut it because the 3DS version exists. I know it's a toned down version but still.

They will likely release those features for the other systems but you can bet your house they're going to wait at least 6 months after the Switch version's release.

Will likely get the PS4 version anyway but that is some ransom they are pulling and it will likely backfire on them if they do this on the PS4/5 again.

clem84

Gold Member
I don't see why they wouldn't do it. It's easy money. DQ fans who don't have a Switch will be pissed if they don't and I wouldn't blame them.

ZeroGravity

Seems like the fair thing to do would let those features be exclusive for the Switch for a period of time, then make them available for other platforms later.

Unless Square Enix is working on a content patch, alongside the Switch port, I won't be holding my breath for a PS4 & PC update.

DQ's core audience is still Japan, which will probably show enough support for the Switch release, even before International sales, to make a PS4 & PC content update largely unnecessary. If work on a patch to the older versions wouldn't potentially start until after the Switch ports are finished, I could see them deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

Fbh

Haven't picked up this game and this sort of makes not want to. I'd rather have Orchestrated music and Japanese VO so I don't want to play it now only for that stuff to be added later. And if they don't it would suck that there's no ultimate version and people will be forced to choose between blurry presentation or less content.

Seems like the fair thing to do would let those features be exclusive for the Switch for a period of time, then make them available for other platforms later.

Why?
Lots of games, specially on PC, have released special or enhanced editions on other platforms while making the additional content available for the original release. Sometimes for free, sometimes paid.
Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, The Witcher 2, Dying Lights, Skyrim (for a price), ReCore, etc

goldenpp72

You know I'm laughing my ass off because I skipped this generation, because of how much companies are ripping people off like it's normal.
The choices we're presented with basically leaves you with "take it or leave it", while it's been happening since probably PS3/X360? days it's becoming shittier to get your money's worth.
A game without online components should be equal, you buy it, it's complete across the board and that's that, we have exclusives, 1 year exclusives, missing audio, characters and whatever the fuck else.

/end_rant

Yes games never had late releases with new content before!

Oemenia

Banned
I remember the port of Vesperia for PS3 selling extremely well in Japan. If they are expecting it to sell like that then they'll be holding off the DLC for a very long time.

Enjay

Banned
You guys are asking way too much of squenix. Even if they started work on porting it today it wouldn't be ready for a few years.

sensor

I wouldn't worry about this at all, I would argue that there's far too much story content in DQXI as is. It's one of the best JRPGs in ages, but one of my criticisms is that it's overly fatty and the length feels artificially padded out. Unless the new story content is of a very high quality, adding more to an already packed game feels like a negative.

sublimit

Banned
I loved the game on PS4 (put around 300 hours if i remember correctly),got the platinum trophy and felt that the game had a perfect closure. It would be cool if they add it but to be honest i'm also fine if they don't.

Hudo

Do the right thing, Squeenix.

I'm getting the Switch version anyway (exclusive content or not), but don't throw shade on the fans who helped make this a big success, especially in this day and age when DLC like this is not hard to implement.
This is the most reasonable thing one will ever read on a gaming forum. Spoken like a true diplomat, sir.

I'm gettin' the Switch version as well, though.

Winter John

Gold Member
Haven't picked up this game and this sort of makes not want to. I'd rather have Orchestrated music and Japanese VO so I don't want to play it now only for that stuff to be added later. And if they don't it would suck that there's no ultimate version and people will be forced to choose between blurry presentation or less content.

Why?
Lots of games, specially on PC, have released special or enhanced editions on other platforms while making the additional content available for the original release. Sometimes for free, sometimes paid.
Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, The Witcher 2, Dying Lights, Skyrim (for a price), ReCore, etc

The game is so big it really doesn't need extra content. I finished the main story which took me about 70 hours and then discovered I was only halfway through the game.

Elios83

Undecided = waiting people double dip first

Indeed. Undecided is PR word for "First we need people to believe that they have to buy the Switch version to get these features".
They will be added a few months after the launch of the Switch version.

Mr Hyde

Exclusive DLC fucking sucks. Downloadable content should be available to all versions., regardless of platforms.

Fbh

The game is so big it really doesn't need extra content. I finished the main story which took me about 70 hours and then discovered I was only halfway through the game.

Well yeah I've heard the game has enough content to not need more chapters and stuff like that.
But Japanese voice acting options and specially an orchestrated soundtrack would be nice. Though I guess the Orchestral mod on PC will be a decent alternative

Fuz

Banned
I haven't played DQXI yet (due to time constraints), but when you release something on a platform you have to release all content on it, you fucking bastards.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I loved the game on PS4 (put around 300 hours if i remember correctly),got the platinum trophy and felt that the game had a perfect closure. It would be cool if they add it but to be honest i'm also fine if they don't.
I'm kinda in the same boat. Spent 100s of hours, got the platinum, felt like I got way more than my money's worth. But when I heard there are new stories in Switch's version, it gave me more reason to play DQ again, and I wouldn't say no to that because I really enjoyed it.

But also, unsure how good or worthy the new stories are. So I'll watch them on YouTube to decide if they are.

woigemok

Banned
Late port getting extra contents and somehow that small DQ fanbase on PS4 and PC thought it's unacceptable.

sublimit

Banned
I'm kinda in the same boat. Spent 100s of hours, got the platinum, felt like I got way more than my money's worth. But when I heard there are new stories in Switch's version, it gave me more reason to play DQ again, and I wouldn't say no to that because I really enjoyed it.

But also, unsure how good or worthy the new stories are. So I'll watch them on YouTube to decide if they are.
I don't think i'll watch Youtube videos but i'll hear what people who i trust and who have enjoyed the game will say about them.

But like i said i don't care that much tbh. DQXI was like the perfect meal for me. It was extremelly delicious and i enjoyed it but my belly is more than full right now. :p Great for those who haven't tasted it yet though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't think i'll watch Youtube videos but i'll hear what people who i trust and who have enjoyed the game will say about them.

But like i said i don't care that much tbh. DQXI was like the perfect meal for me. It was extremelly delicious and i enjoyed it but my belly is more than full right now. :p Great for those who haven't tasted it yet though.
I also highly enjoyed DQXI but I'm also planing to replay it again, so might as well get it on switch with all the extra stuff and the fact I can play this huge RPG on handheld is big selling point for me.

Basically same thing I did with Persona 3, Persona 3FES and Persona 3Portable.:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I also highly enjoyed DQXI but I'm also planing to replay it again, so might as well get it on switch with all the extra stuff and the fact I can play this huge RPG on handheld is big selling point for me.

Basically same thing I did with Persona 3, Persona 3FES and Persona 3Portable.:messenger_beaming:
Well i'll look forward for your impressions of the extra content! :)

FStubbs

Exclusive content like this in jRPGs only stays exclusive when it's in the Sony version. It'll probably happen 6-12 months after the Switch version comes out.

blackjon24

I'd buy it as dlc if reasonably priced but if not i'm not double dipping at full price on a 2 year old game. The game was content filled as it was and I still haven't beaten it 100%.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

You know, if my PS4 save file transfers to Switch, I'd definitely buy it and play the extra stories.

I'm in the same boat, I do however really want that orchestrated OST tho. Just give me that as DLC and I'll be happy.

scalman

Those devs last years just become shite. Just do your damn job make games and give everything with it. Omg they undecided... Sounds like 12 yr old wants for atention

I don't care if they release the extra features back to the PS4. I'm just hoping that on the Switch, the game has an actual chance to find a Western audience. Nintendo will do more promotion than happened on the PS4 game, and pretty much everybody who played the PS4 version loved it, so it'll come out with good word of mouth. Instead of being bitter about the Switch version having more bells and whistles, we should come together and make sure that Dragon Quest XI's Switch release gets the attention that the game deserves in the West. Let's Demons' Souls this bitch.

kevin_trinh

I don't care if they release the extra features back to the PS4. I'm just hoping that on the Switch, the game has an actual chance to find a Western audience. Nintendo will do more promotion than happened on the PS4 game, and pretty much everybody who played the PS4 version loved it, so it'll come out with good word of mouth. Instead of being bitter about the Switch version having more bells and whistles, we should come together and make sure that Dragon Quest XI's Switch release gets the attention that the game deserves in the West. Let's Demons' Souls this bitch.
I dont' know about the extra content, but the base game deserve nothing from the West. Its an outdate Japnese game for old Japan player

Closer

The game was released 2017 in Japan and 2018 worldwide. Switch is getting the game late 2019, and somehow people are getting angry at a late port getting extra content to justify its existence.

RPGCrazied

At least release the orchestrated music. The switch version can keep the extra stories and 16-bit mode along with Japanese VO.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
DQ XI MIDI music sounds like ass, and an orchestrated soundtrack has existed for a long time. The least they can do is make the new soundtrack available.

Many of us have been begging for the orchestrated soundtrack. That’s a kick in the balls for them to finally add that in, but make it Switch exclusive.

Last edited:

Graciaus

It would have been nice to play with Japanese voice acting. But that's what happens when you play at launch. Even if it was free on pc I don't see myself going back to the game. But I do hope it comes out for everyone that does.

Top Bottom