• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix: "Taito is not the last of our acquisitions"

Andrew2

Banned
Talk about being a shark e.g. takeover happy, anyhow some quite interesting stuff:

OKYO, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Square Enix Co. (9684.T: Quote, Profile, Research), Japan's second-largest videogame maker, said on Wednesday it was aiming for stable long-term profit margins of about 20 percent after acquiring game machine maker Taito Corp. (9646.T: Quote, Profile, Research).

"The group as a whole at 20 percent, that's the target," Square Enix President Yoichi Wada said at the Reuters Asia Technology and Telecoms Summit. "It will be lower than the current Square-Enix profit margin."

Square Enix, creator of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest game series, had a consolidated operating profit margin of 35.8 percent in the 2004/05 fiscal year, compared with Taito's parent-only operating margin of 3.4 percent.

Wada said that Square Enix aimed to raise Taito's profit margin to 10-15 percent after the acquisition.

"Twenty percent is definitely do-able," Hiroshi Kamide, games and Internet analyst at KBC Securities Japan, said at the summit at the Reuters office in Tokyo.

Kamide noted, however, that while Taito had strong mobile content and amusement centre businesses, its software development, karaoke hardware and e-commerce arms were far less profitable.

"There are lots of skeletons in the Taito closet," he said. Obviously when the takeover bid is successful, it will come into the Square-Enix group. They will need to clean it up -- a lot."

KARAOKE, SKELETONS

Wada said his company would look at options for Taito's karaoke operations after the acquisition.

"It's quite clear which parts of the karaoke business are no good, so we can boost profitability by sorting those out."

Square Enix is aiming to buy 67 percent of Taito's shares by Sept. 21.

The bid has the support of Taito management and major shareholder Kyocera Corp. (6971.T: Quote, Profile, Research), which holds a 36.02 percent stake.

"Since we have the cooperation of Kyocera, it is generally going favourably," Wada said of the takeover bid.

Square-Enix shares closed up 1.95 percent at 3,130 yen while those of Taito finished down 0.55 percent at 180,000 yen. The Nikkei 225 index closed down 0.52 percent.

Wada said Square Enix would continue to pursue acquisitions as part of its strategy to gather customers into an interactive community. "Taito is not the last of our acquisitions," he said.

He cited blog and auction Web sites as areas of possible acquisition interest.

"The next step is how we can capture community," he said.

"What we are doing is creating new channnels, and elements for constructing such new channels is what we're trying to bring together."

Square-Enix ranks behind Nintendo Co. (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) among Japan's videogame makers.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticleSearch.aspx?storyID=88287+14-Sep-2005+RTRS&srch=square+enix

If companies are part of these continued takeovers, just leave Level 5 out of the picture. They deserve thier independence. :)

lexy

I didn't know SquareEnix was 2nd behind Nintendo in Japan. How much bigger is Nintendo compared to SquareEnix?

Andrew2

Banned
AniHawk said:
YER NEXT KONAMI

SE could try, but it would be an futile effort they cannot afford. So you know, Konami's market capitalization is so much not even SE could take a try at them.

You and I both. :|

Grandia will probably remain the awesome "fluke" of the series. Unless GIII holds up... but Shouta's impressions made me uneasy about the likelihood of that...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dear Capcom,

all of your bases are belong to us!

with love

SquareEnix

AniHawk said:
YER NEXT KONAMI

I don't think so:

1) SE isn't interested in the toy and the sports business of Konami;

2) Konami isn't willing to sell off its game division, which is the sole growth engine of the company.

Culex

Banned
How much is Capcom worth? Also, I doubt that Square Enix has the liquid assests to outright buy Capcom, let alone Nintendo.

Jonnyram

Wada said quite clearly they are after expanding their online community. They're not looking at game developers. Instead they want a blog system and an online auction.

genjiZERO

Mr_Moogle said:
What about Level 5? They made DQVIII for Square Enix and they have an excellent reputation for making RPGs.

You know I was thinking the same thing. I don't think it would be a bad move on SEs part. And I'd like to see the True Fantasy Online development not go to waste. I think I would fit into SE's online plan rather nicely.

Top Bottom