• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony flags disappointing profit, scraps targets as gaming slows - Reuters

CyberPanda

Banned
Makiko Yamazaki

4 MIN READ

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp warned of a sharper-than-expected drop in its annual profit and scrapped some longer-term targets, in a sign a slowdown in its gaming business as its PlayStation 4 console nears the end of its life was beginning to hurt.

The bleak outlook comes after two years of record profits and underlines concerns a turnaround is losing steam at Sony - which bet on entertainment and gaming for steady revenues after battling years of losses with consumer electronics, such as TV sets, that are more susceptible to price competition.

Analysts widely expect Sony to launch a next-generation console in 2020 to replace the five-year old PlayStation 4 (PS4), but the business could face tough competition with new video game streaming services from Alphabet Inc’s Google and Apple.

Sony’s finance chief, however, shrugged off concerns about the threat of cloud-based gaming. “With over 90 million customers enjoying the (PS4) platform, we have a sense of market trends,” Hiroki Totoki said at a briefing on Friday.

The Japanese firm forecast profit for the year through March 2020 at 810 billion yen ($7.25 billion), down 9.4 percent from 894.2 billion yen a year earlier and below an average forecast of 834.49 billion yen from 22 analysts polled by Refinitiv.

Sony withdrew its earnings goals for individual businesses for the year to March 2021, including an estimated profit range of 130 billion-170 billion yen for gaming, citing “significant changes to the operating environment.”

CURRENT SEGMENT OUTLOOK

For the financial year to March 2020, Sony expects costs for developing the new console to push its gaming profits down to 280 billion yen from 311 billion yen a year earlier. PS4 sales are forecast to drop 10 percent to 16 million units.

The semiconductor business, which includes image sensors, is expected to report a profit of 145 billion yen, up a billion yen from a year earlier. Sony’s image sensors, central to its revival, are used by Apple and other major smartphone makers.

Sony remains bullish about demand for large-size image sensors and multiple-lens camera systems for smartphones, and said it may spend 100 billion yen more to build a new facility.

ACTIVIST PRESSURE

However, Sony shares, which have lost more than 30 percent from their 11-year highs set in September last year, underling growing worries about the company’s strategy.

Daniel Loeb’s hedge fund Third Point LLC is building a stake in Sony again to push for changes that include shedding some businesses, Reuters has reported.

Third Point wants Sony to explore options for some of its business units, including its movie studio, which the fund believes has attracted takeover interest, according to sources familiar with the matter.

CFO Totoki declined to comment on the report.

A Jefferies analyst, Atul Goyal, however, said in a note last week that the “recent reports of activist investors’ interest and stake acquisition is likely to put significant, desirable and sustained pressure on Sony to act”.

Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida “made some very tough but desirable decisions” to revive the company when he was finance chief, but his decisions since he became CEO “appear slightly benign”, the analyst added.

The company should exit the money-losing smartphone business, while keeping the pictures business, which has potential for a turnaround, Goyal added.

Stuart360

That's why it's funny when gamers say "I'm not ready yet".

The industry clearly is.
Its only happening because next gen console talk has really turned up a notch over the last 6 months or so. It happens every gen. Next gen talk just puts some potential customers off buying a console when they know a new one is on the way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
7 years next year. Software taking longer than is a problem in itself.

Besides, brand new exotic architecture demarcating each gen is no longer part of the landscape. You can develop a title today, for a console tomorrow without much peril.

The fabs, yields, tech for the jump won't be ready until next year either. That is something they also have to wait on and R&D within. Silicon is coming to its peak.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The fabs, yields, tech for the jump won't be ready until next year either. That is something they also have to wait on and R&D within. Silicon is coming to its peak.

People know this, it is public and quite well said for a long while... it is not a weird story hidden away that waits to be told... but still you have the random shouts “I wish console would come out like every year so I can get new and better stuff!!!! Choice!!!”... yeah, choice of what? To drive profits to companies for the privilege of owning something which is new yet more and more of a ripoff?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think the gen is almost exactly the correct amount of time. Not too long, and not too short.

People that wanted to spend money on PS Pro or PSVR proved to be small. In 1.5 years, the number will be just about right.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Its only happening because next gen console talk has really turned up a notch over the last 6 months or so. It happens every gen. Next gen talk just puts some potential customers off buying a console when they know a new one is on the way.
PS3 lasted what? 7 years? That's considered a long time for a console gen.

We're now approaching 6 years with current-gen. The stream of game releases has already slowed down drastically.
Sony's final big PS4 titles were already being planned to carry over into next-gen.

So yeah, next-gen is needed for the console industry.

HeresJohnny

7 years next year. Software taking longer than is a problem in itself.

Besides, brand new exotic architecture demarcating each gen is no longer part of the landscape. You can develop a title today, for a console tomorrow without much peril.

Not to mention this has always been the case. Many games from generations past started life on one platform before being finished on another.

HeresJohnny

PS3 lasted what? 7 years? That's considered a long time for a console gen.

We're now approaching 6 years with current-gen. The stream of game releases has already slowed down drastically.
Sony's final big PS4 titles were already being planned to carry over into next-gen.

So yeah, next-gen is needed for the console industry.

If Sony really intends to wait until 2020 there are going to be some pissed off people with limited titles to play. Needed to happen this fall.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not to mention this has always been the case. Many games from generations past started life on one platform before being finished on another.

ICO and TLG come to mind for me right away. We know TLG fiasco in the internet information age, but it was not as well known back then that ICO started on the PS1 deep in development and then matured to the PS2 (thankfully).

HeresJohnny

My suspicion is that they are trying to wait for the cost of the SSD to come down more than it being a production thing. If that is the case they should be embarrassed because they know better than anyone how long hardware cycles last, even with legendary consoles. If they are behind on research and production they hav no one to blame but themselves.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My suspicion is that they are trying to wait for the cost of the SSD to come down more than it being a production thing. If that is the case they should be embarrassed because they know better than anyone how long hardware cycles last, even with legendary consoles.

I believe that is one part of it, as well as RAM and Navi with AMDs roadmap process as well.

HeresJohnny

I believe that is one part of it, as well as RAM and Navi with AMDs roadmap process as well.

Yeah and there could also be some cat and mouse stuff going on with this to play head games with Microsoft. I can’t find the link, but didn’t Sony troll Microsoft pretty hard this generation by leaking misinformation to make Microsoft think the PS4 was going to be different than it was?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah and there could also be some cat and mouse stuff going on with this to play head games with Microsoft. I can’t find the link, but didn’t Sony troll Microsoft pretty hard this generation by leaking misinformation to make Microsoft think the PS4 was going to be different than it was?

I sort of remember this commentary on here way back early this gen or so on here, but it is very fuzzy to me to be honest.

JimiNutz

Banned
They need more Venom movies

They're sitting on a goldmine with Spider-Man and if they had the talent or resources available then they could churn out a whole cinematic universe based on Spider-Man, his villains and his allies... Unfortunately Venom showed that they're still not capable of pulling this off.

Maybe they should focus on animated movies instead since Into the Spider-verse was such a good movie.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
But don't they have a >85M PS4 userbase? That means if every 10th-20th person buys X game, were still talking about millions of copies sold, and gigantic revenue in the end? Besides, the beginning of the year, not to mention Q2 and Q3, always are empty as far as the games go, Q4 is where 80% of the fiscal year earning are located, we will get at least 5 AAA games in November alone, CoD, BF and what's not. But yeah, this entire generation is easily the worst ever as far as content delivery goes

Majukun

I suppose this kind of info is needed mainly to investors, since they are the ones interested if profits goes up or down since that influences the price of the stocks they have.

Fuz

Banned
Poor Sony.
RsI9t.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You read reports like that and it really shows how silly it is when people like Jim Sterling get all antsy over AAA corporate communications highlighting products underperforming and whatnot. Its just the language of stock-holders/the markets, where you can be absolutely killing it, but failure is always around the next corner, and analysts wont fail to harp on about it.

angelic

Banned
I dont want next gen yet, my ps4 has all the features i want, apps, good pad etc i need. A gen reset means going back to basics again. No button remapping, no Spotify etc. Genuinely not bothered.

Mista

Banned
They have been leading for the whole generation. Profit dropping for next console development isn’t a big deal. The new console will definitely cover the whole development cost and way way more so I don’t know why are they disappointed exactly...

Last edited:

Petrae

Nintendo had something similar happen when they left Wii out there a bit too long in a saturated market. Sales of the former juggernaut slowed, then stalled.

The PS4 has been the top dog during most of this console generation— almost by default, given Microsoft’s disastrous early XBO strategy and Nintendo’s even worse WiiU strategy. At some point, sales slow since most consumers that wanted a PS4 have one. Then there’s the next gen rumor mill, which puts consumers off from making expensive purchases of consoles perceived to be on their way out.

If the PS5 isn’t ready, then Sony has to weather the storm until next year. Sales will be down, consumers will be in a holding pattern, and things should pick back up with the gaggle of early adopters in 2020.

FStubbs

Nintendo was trolled. IIRC they believed Sony and Microsoft wouldn't be able to build consumer priced consoles significantly more powerful than the level they met for Wii U.

Caffeine

If Sony really intends to wait until 2020 there are going to be some pissed off people with limited titles to play. Needed to happen this fall.
Around launch Nov 2020 there is limited titles to play anyway, these next platforms could launch with only 5 games and then have almost a year long drought due to install base being small. I expect, Madden, Nba2k, Fifa, Horizon zero dawn 2/Halo infinite respectively to platform, CoD from Sledgehammer. So the output wont be that much different with what is currently dropping. Plus crossgen will still be there for most of those third party titles especially with pushing backward compat removing the need for indie game ports and remasters outside of 4k patches. in fact title output wont ramp up till Sept-Nov 2021.

Top Bottom