• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Financial Report Fiscal '08 (Sales figures + Watch Impress report)

duckroll said:
There are two interesting details in the article. Wada admits that there was no release date for DQIX last year, and there isn't one now, but they want to release the game within this financial year but... he said the same thing last year. When he realized that he wasn't really answering the question of when the fuck DQIX was coming out he changed the topic and talked about how the DS is a great choice of platform for DQIX and it might sell up to 10 million copies, because since DQIV on the DS selling over a million domestically shows they have a very firm support base.

Later on Wada talks about the 3 billion yen in losses in regard to various development cycles in the company. He goes on to say that it triggered a review in the company and resulted in the termination of a "revolutionary mobile development" the company was working on. He said that he felt that in this time and age, a mobile super project that was so close and similar to a consumer market product (console game) has no place in the industry. Could this mean that FF Agito XIII has been canned?
To DS or WiiWare is my guess... if SE has art assets developed already, and quite frankly that's the only way it'd cost them enough to hurt, then they'll probably try to recoup by putting it on another platform.

Mefisutoferesu said:
To DS or WiiWare is my guess... if SE has art assets developed already, and quite frankly that's the only way it'd cost them enough to hurt, then they'll probably try to recoup by putting it on another platform.
I think we're assuming they would have to scale the game down a bit to get it on the DS.

DCharlie said:
eerrr... for DQ Swords?

errr... is this shipped , sold, or "wish we'd sold" figures here?!
The Japanese one looks pretty close to what Famitsu had as of the end of 2007 (486,222), but the NA one doesn't very well jive with that 15K launch February NPD reported, does it? So shipped it is, I guess.

lordmrw

Not that I think the 110k figure is real, but it isn't impossible that the game could have picked up in March and April.

lordmrw said:
Not that I think the 110k figure is real, but it isn't impossible that the game could have picked up in March and April.
Being a fiscal year report, only March should be included. It didn't have a full February to sell that 15K in, but its March rate of sales would've had to double or more February's, and sell well in Canada too. If that were the case it'd be turning into something of a sleeper and probably have continued selling well in April and May... basically we should've heard something about such an unusual circumstance.

Nolan. said:
Ah damn too late :( , I don't think the whole thing has yet though just begginng chapters or something like it I can't remember.
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/ff/ff4after/story/index.html

It still has about 5 more chapters coming according to this.

duckroll said:
Later on Wada talks about the 3 billion yen in losses in regard to various development cycles in the company. He goes on to say that it triggered a review in the company and resulted in the termination of a "revolutionary mobile development" the company was working on. He said that he felt that in this time and age, a mobile super project that was so close and similar to a consumer market product (console game) has no place in the industry. Could this mean that FF Agito XIII has been canned?

I really hope this is it for them releasing so many mobile games (or atleast releasing sequels to game on cell phones.) I wouldn't be surprised if Agito was canned. While the FFXIII games weren't getting that much news, Agito had the least amount of it.

Nolan.

GoldandBlue said:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/ff/ff4after/story/index.html

It still has about 5 more chapters coming according to this.

I really hope this is it for them releasing so many mobile games (or atleast releasing sequels to game on cell phones.) I wouldn't be surprised if Agito was canned. While the FFXIII games weren't getting that much news, Agito had the least amount of it.

Agito did look semi-interesting going on what little info was released though.

Nolan. said:
Agito did look semi-interesting going on what little info was released though.
I didn't like the whole school kids playing card games look. Also it was hard to care about a game I know I'd never get to play, even if it was somehow released in NA (I wouldn't spend the extra money on a new cell just to play one game.)

Hm, I wonder what this means for Kingdom Hearts coded.

RiZ III

Good to see that FF7: CC didn't sell millions. Maybe they'll be release it on ps2 now like it should have been in the first place.

duckroll

omg rite said:
We can only hope so. Along with Parasite Eve 3.

Not a chance. There's no indication that they'll be STOPPING mobile development. It's just that this one single unnamed project was just too ambitious for mobile phones and was costing too much in development. The 3rd Birthday sounds like any other cellphone game S-E has been making lately, not something for "next-generation phones".

duckroll

BlazingDarkness said:
i hope there is an FFXIII PSP game being developed, i'd like to see an evolution of Crisis Core style, as part of FNC

The next evolution of Crisis Core will be Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.

Deku

Banned
Oxx said:
Have S-E said how well Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King has done?

There were reports that strongly alluded to the Japanese version selling over 100k iirc after WiiWare launched in Japan. No hard data on how its done since and no international figures.

BlazingDarkness said:
i hope there is an FFXIII PSP game being developed

There is almost certainly no handheld FFXIII game in development right now, as any such games would have to be released in such a way as to ride the coattails of the real FFXIII, and unless S-E is planning a fall 2009 release (which I seriously, seriously doubt) they have no way of being certain what handhelds will be in play at that time. (Note how the announced games are either for PS3 or mobile, platforms they knew in advance would be around whenever they put out the game.)

Once they pin down the date (I'm still guessing March 2010) I'm sure they'll throw something into development and we'll probably wind up getting a KH-style "here's the DS game, here's the PSP game" announcement.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
charlequin said:
Once they pin down the date (I'm still guessing March 2010) I'm sure they'll throw something into development and we'll probably wind up getting a KH-style "here's the DS game, here's the PSP game" announcement.

I guess it weill be too late for a ff13 ds game - i expect at least one for wii and another for the ds (2) next...

Top Bottom