• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Financial Report Fiscal '08 (Sales figures + Watch Impress report)

Kazenone

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/ir/e/data/financial/download/20080523en_34.pdf

Time for the juicy bits right away!

Square-Enix are having a shareholders meeting on June 21, probably to finalize the implementation of changing their name to Square-Enix Holdings

But there was another meeting today, where they will approve this. You can read more at
http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/e/news/2008/download/20080523en_35.pdf

Games (Offline)
During this period under review, the Company released a number of titles for the Nintendo DS. Dragon Quest IV (1.15 Million as of March), Final Fantasy IV (590k), Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (540k units in Japan, 222k units in NA, 280k units in Europe), Itadaki Street DS (430k in Japan), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Rings of Fate (380k units in Japan, 160k units in NA, 150k units in Europe), Final Fantasy III (480k units in Europe), Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII (800k units in Japan, 450k units in NA) and Dragon Quest Swords (490k in Japan, 110k units in NA).
Summarized:

Offline games netted an operating income of 8,882m Yen (85.5m USD). This is down 45% from last year

DQIV
Japan :1,150,000
NA: Released September
Europe: lol wut

FFXII RW
Japan: 540K
NA: 222K
Europe: 280K

FFCC DS
Japan: 380K
NA: 160K
Europe: 150K

FFIII
Europe: 480K

Crisis Core
Japan: 800k
NA: 450K
Europe: Released June 20

Dragon Quest Wii
Japan: 490K
NA: 110K
Europe: Released after fiscal year

Games (Online)
The Company operates Final Fantasy XI, a massively multi-player online role-playing game with approx 500,000 paying subsribers. Sales in the Gaemes (Online) segment totaled 12,098 million Yen, and operating income amounted too 5,880 million Yen
Operating income was 56million USD (Down 13.1%)

Mobile Phone Content
The Company plans, develops and provides content for Mobile Phones, and provides a wide range of mobile content services, including ring tones, wallpapers, games and portals. Led by such portal devices such as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, the service lineup leverages the Company's strength in Original Content. Consequently, sales in Mobile Phone Content total 6579 Million Yen (Down 13.1%) and operating income amounted to 1758 Million Yen (Down 41%)
Again, Mobile Phone content is still not going well for SE even though they want to focus on that market. No sales figures were released for FFIV The After (It was released recently)

Forecasts
The Business environment for the Company has been in a period of transition, which is driven by rapid penetration of broadband into general households and expansion of user segment led by diversification of game platforms. The Company takes those changes as an opportunity to develop new earnings stream and is determined to serve untapped customers through provision of the Company's content and promotion of Network releated businesses which have established a stable financial basis

Numbers
Sales were down in all regions:
Japan: 18,312m Yen (176m USD) -3.5%
NA: 2,751m Yen (26m USD) -51%
Europe: 1,081m Yen (10m USD) -44.9%
Asia: a total loss of 645m Yen

But they have promising forecast for next year though
Code:
Net Sales	160b Yen (1b USD)
Ope. Income	21b Yen (202m USD)
Rec. Income	20b Yen (200 USD)
Net Income	12b Yen (115 USD)

Aeana said:
There's a new article at Game Watch about this stuff. I didn't really read through it in-depth, but there's one part that did catch my eye. Wada once again projects DQ9 for this fiscal year. I hope so. :\

duckroll said:
There are two interesting details in the article. Wada admits that there was no release date for DQIX last year, and there isn't one now, but they want to release the game within this financial year but... he said the same thing last year. When he realized that he wasn't really answering the question of when the fuck DQIX was coming out he changed the topic and talked about how the DS is a great choice of platform for DQIX and it might sell up to 10 million copies, because since DQIV on the DS selling over a million domestically shows they have a very firm support base.

Later on Wada talks about the 3 billion yen in losses in regard to various development cycles in the company. He goes on to say that it triggered a review in the company and resulted in the termination of a "revolutionary mobile development" the company was working on. He said that he felt that in this time and age, a mobile super project that was so close and similar to a consumer market product (console game) has no place in the industry. Could this mean that FF Agito XIII has been canned?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Glad to see that Crisis Core sold good :) And it's not even out in Europe!

Nekobo

I wonder if piracy has a lot to do with the decline in sales world wide. Or that the games on the list are portable games and remakes/spin offs. Or both?

Alex

FFXI still pullin' in more money than anything else, would be nice to see Rapture before too much longer.

Kazenone said:
Dragon Quest Wii
Japan: 490K
NA: 110K
Europe: Released after fiscal year

110K :D Thats good I thought it would never break 100K, I hope it sells well in Europe if God wills. One of my favourite spinoffs of the DQ series.

EDarkness

They really need to release some interesting stuff. I purchased the Wiiware game, but there hasn't been anything really compelling from them. Why are they being so secretive about Crystal Bearers? :( That's the game I'm waiting for.

EDarkness said:
They really need to release some interesting stuff. I purchased the Wiiware game, but there hasn't been anything really compelling from them. Why are they being so secretive about Crystal Bearers? :( That's the game I'm waiting for.

While I'd love to hear more about The Crystal Bearers, I've got to say that if stuff like Sigma Harmonics, The World Ends With You and My Life As a King is what Squenix can generate when focusing on DS and WiiWare, I'd love to see more from the company in that mold. It's the most interesting and inventive I've seen the company for quite some time.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BlazingDarkness said:
Bryant and Joseph Chang :3

Eternal Summer? Heck yea, when I go to Chinatown, NY I'll have to pick that movie up.

Bryant and Joseph Chang my new obsession. :lol

neojubei

BlazingDarkness said:
i love it =D

Sweet. I cannot wait to see it. :D

On topic: Good to see Crisis Core (my fav PSP RPG game) selling well in both Japan and North America.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
CC:FFVII will have to do better in EU than it did in NA to beat the advantage FFIII has over it in JP.

DQIV
Japan :1,150,000
NA: Released September
Europe: lol wut
Hey, it was announced for EU too. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tabris said:
Hmm, does Crisis Core's NA sales make it one of the best selling handheld games in NA ever for them?

No.

In this gen, FFIII sold better than Crisis Core.

Last gen,
- FF Tactics Advance sold better
- FF1+2 Dawn of Souls sold better
- Potentially FFIV Advance sold better (last numbers I have don't quite show it passing, but it was still selling briskly at the time)

I have no numbers for Game Boy, but I suspect their GB games probably outsold this as well due to their extraordinary long print runs.

EDarkness

Cosmonaut X said:
While I'd love to hear more about The Crystal Bearers, I've got to say that if stuff like Sigma Harmonics, The World Ends With You and My Life As a King is what Squenix can generate when focusing on DS and WiiWare, I'd love to see more from the company in that mold. It's the most interesting and inventive I've seen the company for quite some time.

You know, I forgot that I recently picked up a copy of The World Ends With You. So far that game is pretty cool, but I'm not sure how I feel about the split screen combat thing. The second character always seems to slow me down. The production values of that game is pretty nice, though.

My wife wants to play Chocobo Tales, so I'll be picking that up this summer as well.

Kazenone

If you're looking for numbers for MLAAK or TWEWY, we probably won't get them until December, unless of course SE get out a PR before then.

neojubei

BlazingDarkness said:
i got two copies of crisis core, i'll be gettin the europe release also for the artbook thing :lol

Two minds think alike. I have the Japanese and North American version and I am still importing the European one. :D

Kyoufu

lawblob said:
I am glad to see Crisis Core > 1.2 million worldwide. Hopefully that will motivate Square to do another grand-scale PSP game.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and FF: Dissidia.

Nolan.

It still annoys me they're releasing so many mobile only stuff that looks good, anyway I want ffxiii info now!.

neojubei

Nolan. said:
It still annoys me they're releasing so many mobile only stuff that looks good, anyway I want ffxiii info now!.

I agree. I am still wondering how IU is coming out and Last Rememant is no where to be seen.

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
No.

In this gen, FFIII sold better than Crisis Core.

Last gen,
- FF Tactics Advance sold better
- FF1+2 Dawn of Souls sold better
- Potentially FFIV Advance sold better (last numbers I have don't quite show it passing, but it was still selling briskly at the time)

I have no numbers for Game Boy, but I suspect their GB games probably outsold this as well due to their extraordinary long print runs.
Don't forget Kingdom Hearts COM, which sold over 1m in the US alone.

358/2 and BBS are gonna be huge.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
neojubei said:
Thats a good question. I wonder how well it did in Japan and North America.

All I care about is that they hit expectations so that we can see The World Ends With You 2.

This is one game that should get a new iteration somewhere down the line.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
botticus said:
Did comparable to Revenant Wings' first month, and that had the benefit of launching in November. Granted, TWEWY will suffer with this month being May instead of December.
A certain Nintendo fansite also posted this last week:
twewys741.jpg

Which is supposedly from Gamestop, maybe S-E undershipped it here after overshipping it in Japan. I'd take it with a grain of salt though.

Aeana

There's a new article at Game Watch about this stuff. I didn't really read through it in-depth, but there's one part that did catch my eye. Wada once again projects DQ9 for this fiscal year. I hope so. :\

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DQ9 must come this year. :(

Square-Enix's will come out once that gets rolling I bet. That, then KH PSP, then FF13. So the sooner they fire the first round, the quicker they empty the chamber.

Kind of like clockwork.

Top Bottom