• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same director and a lot of the same staff. And ttgl is a pretty show all throughout

Both are Trigger shows, so yeah.

It's a pretty good show, so it's always nice to see someone new pick it up.

ttgl was gainax

So it's the director and staff then. Yeah I dug the episode quite a lot! Gotta thank ninty for the recommendation, I know the series is beloved by many but it's one of those that I never really got the opportunity to watch. This one is going to be a lot of fun. Except when the thing I got spoiled about already happens.

Gurren Lagann 01

nintendoman58's recommendation was a good one. I'm into what I saw. Interesting concept with the pits. Also I love the characters already.

This show's visual design reminds me A LOT of Kill la Kill by the way, is there any connection to that show in terms of staff? Also the animation in this, is goddamn good! Does it remain like this throughout the whole show?! Or is this just a case of being the usual super good looking and fluid pilot episode?

You know it.

Aside from episode 4, TTGL has some of the best mecha animation in the entire franchise.

Kill la Kill was directed by Imaishi, who also directed Kill la Kill, and Trigger was made from former Gainax employees. There was a meme going around when Kill la Kill was airing that it would save anime because of that, haha.

JulianImp

ttgl was gainax

Whoops, my bad. Still, wasn't Trigger mostly made up of people who used to work at Gainax or something?

So it's the director and staff then. Yeah I dug the episode quite a lot! Gotta thank ninty for the recommendation, I know the series is beloved by many but it's one of those that I never really got the opportunity to watch. This one is going to be a lot of fun. Except when the thing I got spoiled about already happens.

I don't think spoilers mean all that much for TTGL. It's 90% flat-out awesomeness to the max, and knowing a plot twist or two is unlikely to bring the show down.

DonMigs85

Been catching up on AC Season 2, and glad to see Flying Spaghetti Koro Sensei

0KauxzN.jpg

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.30
The Ishbal extermination was gross and hearing the full story of all their parts in it was pretty damn harsh. All of the active soldiers are still broken because of it as well. Horrible stuff man..

You know it.

Aside from episode 4, TTGL has some of the best mecha animation in the entire franchise.

Kill la Kill was directed by Imaishi, who also directed Kill la Kill, and Trigger was made from former Gainax employees. There was a meme going around when Kill la Kill was airing that it would save anime because of that, haha.

I feel like I may be one of the few that liked Kill la Kill, but thinking back that was mainly because of its art direction and how wacky it was, not the plot itself. If this has both the visuals, and plot then I'm sold. So far I am pretty pleased with what I saw, got some really cool themes going on already, with them trying to break out from a society of no change and fear in these caves. Foreshadowing for the future too, with Kamina alreay apparently having seen the surface. I wanna know more about Simon and the girl (I don't think she gave us her name yet).

Whoops, my bad. Still, wasn't Trigger mostly made up of people who used to work at Gainax or something?

I don't think spoilers mean all that much for TTGL. It's 90% flat-out awesomeness to the max, and knowing a plot twist or two is unlikely to bring the show down.

Yeah the first episode was already amazing. Plus all I know is that
Kamina dies
at some point. Don't know when, how or why it happens. So I am not completely spoiled on that. Other stuff is just minor things that don't really matter much in a greater context.

I feel like I may be one of the few that liked Kill la Kill, but thinking back that was mainly because of its art direction and how wacky it was, not the plot itself. If this has both the visuals, and plot then I'm sold. So far I am pretty pleased with what I saw, got some really cool themes going on already, with them trying to break out from a society of no change and fear in these caves. Foreshadowing for the future too, with Kamina alreay apparently having seen the surface. I wanna know more about Simon and the girl (I don't think she gave us her name yet).

Pretty sure that Yoko gives her name right at the end of the episode.

Gurren Lagann is my all time favorite anime because it absolutely nails it in both the animation and plot department. I love literally everything in the show. There's not a single character I don't like.

The TTGL ride is a wild one and watching ToonamiGAF experience it live was some of the most enjoyable time I've had on GAF.

JulianImp

World Conquest Zvezda Plot #1
Randomly got this show's first episode and... just what the heck did I even watch? The episode ended with me not understanding a single thing outside of there being a loli who wants to conquer the world, a group of really weird underlings and that the MC's childhood friend appears to be part of some opposing force to said little girl.

Cornbread78

Netoge ep.11
Well that plan backfired horribly, but at least they are going to fight back. Funny closing scene as well; lifestyle disparity man..

Pretty sure that Yoko gives her name right at the end of the episode.

Gurren Lagann is my all time favorite anime because it absolutely nails it in both the animation and plot department. I love literally everything in the show. There's not a single character I don't like.

The TTGL ride is a wild one and watching ToonamiGAF experience it live was some of the most enjoyable time I've had on GAF.

Maybe she really did but it flew over my head. Now that I think back it may have happened at the end, after the gorgeous shot of the vast desert was shown from way up above as they flew out of the pit aha.

I'll be sure to keep posting impressions. Kinda got wrapped up with life stuff and only had time for that one episode. No time for Kabaneri today either, even though I'll be honest, I'm not even sure if I'm just watching it because I've made it this far or what else.

So tomorrow: More Gurren Lagann, Kabaneri and maybe Kuromukuro too. Phew. 1 more day until Kiznaiver!

JulianImp

Usagi Drop #1
Yet another random show, only this one I actually watched on purpose. Now this was a way better first episode than Zvezda's, and I can see myself watching more of it since the melodrama wasn't all that bad.

Also, screw Reina.

Cornbread78

Usagi Drop #1
Yet another random show, only this one I actually watched on purpose. Now this was a way better first episode than Zvezda's, and I can see myself watching more of it since the melodrama wasn't all that bad.

Also, screw Reina.

Excellent choice.

If you like the topic, check out Aishiteruze Baby when your done. It's not as maturely done as Usagi, but it's still very good.

trejo

Excellent choice.

If you like the topic, check out Aishiteruze Baby when your done. It's not as maturely done as Usagi, but it's still very good.

If by not as maturely done you mean it looks like it was drawn and animated by actual children, sure. :p

I really liked Aishiteruze Baby too.

JulianImp

Usagi Drop is all kinds of excellent. You chose well.

Excellent choice.

Ah, it's good to know. Character-centric stories are my favorite kind of thing, and I could already see from that first episode that the plot's probably going to be about how the two main characters bond with each other in a very heartwarming way. There was some obvious melodrama with how everybody else in the family tried to ignore the little girl and how unfair and selfish that felt to the MC, but I can take melodramatic scenes if they work well like they did there.

Will probably add Aishiteruze Baby to my backlocg, but it looks like that one isn't available on CR.

I just tried watching the Hajime no Ippo series that's available on CR, and it looks like it's some kind of sequel series since it starts with Ippo already being the Japanese champion or something. The melodrama around his father's death in the flashback felt really ham-fisted compared to what I just saw on Usagi Drop as well.

Also, could anyone vouch for/against Hourou Musuko? The premise sounds interesting enough that I'll probably end up watching at least the first episode, but it'd always be nice to know if other people have watched it and could share their thoughts with me.

Ah, it's good to know. Character-centric stories are my favorite kind of thing, and I could already see from that first episode that the plot's probably going to be about how the two main characters bond with each other in a very heartwarming way. There was some obvious melodrama with how everybody else in the family tried to ignore the little girl and how unfair and selfish that felt to the MC, but I can take melodramatic scenes if they work well like they did there.

I wouldn't call what happens in Usagi Drop "melodrama", unless you think all drama is melodrama.

I just tried watching the Hajime no Ippo series that's available on CR, and it looks like it's some kind of sequel series since it starts with Ippo already being the Japanese champion or something. The melodrama around his father's death in the flashback felt really ham-fisted compared to what I just saw on Usagi Drop as well.

Yes, Crunchyroll only has Hajime no Ippo The Rising, which is way into the series.

Also, could anyone vouch for/against Hourou Musuko? The premise sounds interesting enough that I'll probably end up watching at least the first episode, but it'd always be nice to know if other people have watched it and could share their thoughts with me.

Wandering Son is worth watching, although it's worth noting that Crunchyroll only has the broadcast version which had its last two episodes cut into one due to the 2011 Tohoku earthquake. The full version was only released on disc, and should be watched instead if possible.

I wouldn't recommend starting with Ippo with Rising. Skipping a 100+ episodes of content into what isn't the strongest Ippo season isn't the way to go.

trejo

Will probably add Aishiteruze Baby to my backlocg, but it looks like that one isn't available on CR.

Hourou Musuko is also an amazing show. I actually had a little trouble with it due to my dislike for its art direction but it's so damn good that I was able to get over it and enjoy it. You have some great taste!

Narag

Teekyuu S4

Still giving this a shot and apparently I made a post in here saying I watched his and while my notes say I did too, MAL says I didn't. It's made such little impression on me that I can't say if I actually watched it in the past since watching it now failed to sway me in either direction.

blurr

I'll still be missing out on most puns either way, but seeing the characters' actions animated helps a lot with context.

Also, reading raw LNs has actually made me appreciate the way most characters have their own unique speech patterns, since it helps the readers tell who's speaking without having to explicitly state so in dialogs or narration. For example, it'd be really hard for me to confuse lines among the assertive Haruhi, one-word Nagato, frail Asahina, overly formal Koizumi and deadpan Kyon because of how their speech patterns are so unique to them compared to everybody else's. Thinking about that also made me wonder about how much of a pain it'd be to achieve the same level of readability on a localized version, mostly due to how English and Spanish don't have easy ways out of honorifics, varied first-person pronouns or adapting certain speech patterns in a way that doesn't come across as overly forced.

Yes, I've started reading Tsukimonogatari LN for practice but you can identify the characters just by their accent/dialect. My favorite is Kagenui's Kyoto dialect.

Kind an informal vote here, but there's been interest expresed, so if we get enough people to join in we can try it again...

If we did a "Let's Watch" next week which would you be down for:

Lucky☆Star or Code Geass?

Both are easily accessible, Code Geass would take most of the summer though.

I'm okay with both albeit I'm more inclined towards Lucky Star. I'm amazed it even got as far as being considered lol.

JulianImp

I wouldn't recommend starting with Ippo with Rising. Skipping a 100+ episodes of content into what isn't the strongest Ippo season isn't the way to go.

I wouldn't call what happens in Usagi Drop "melodrama", unless you think all drama is melodrama.

Yes, Crunchyroll only has Hajime no Ippo The Rising, which is way into the series.

Wandering Son is worth watching, although it's worth noting that Crunchyroll only has the broadcast version which had its last two episodes cut into one due to the 2011 Tohoku earthquake. The full version was only released on disc, and should be watched instead if possible.

I noticed the whole music and pacing was leading me towards feeling emotional, but then again nearly everything works like that. I didn't mean it in a bad way though, but I did feel manipulated by the whole set-up that led to the MC getting fed up with his family trying to avoid the issue of who'd take care of Rin and offering to take care of her by himself. Not that I didn't appreciate the resulting scene (I was really touching).

As for Hajime no Ippo, I don't think I'm willing to invest into a 100+ episode series right now, so I'll probably leave it on hold for the time being.

Hourou Musuko is also an amazing show. I actually had a little trouble with it due to my dislike for its art direction but it's so damn good that I was able to get over it and enjoy it. You have some great taste!

I just finished watching the first episode, and it was great. It's very rare to see sexual identity as the main theme of a series, and it looks like this is going to be done right, with a good balance between heartwarming moments of acceptance and more "realistic" moments of the MC and the other girl being ostracized for not identifying with their respective biological genders. The theme could probably be used badly for drama, but from what I've seen so far it looks like the show won't be playing dirty like that.

Like I said, I like it the most when a show is about exploring and developing its cast through interal rather than external means, so I feel right at home with both Hourou Musuko and Usagi Drop. That isn't to say I'm can't enjoy my JoJos and KonoSubas, but I like it more when they're more like FMA:Brotherhood, Eureka Seven or Re:Zero, for example.

Some character driven anime drama shows I highly recommend: Horror Moscow, Ow Hannah, Shower Gainrock Rackgo Sinjew.

Can anyone pass me the duck-English translator? The only one I can tell is Rakugo, which I've already watched and is my favorite contender for AoTY so far.

Just T

Kabaneri:10

Ikoma and Takumi little conversation was alright and there were some really nice visuals going on in the background this ep. As for the plot overall lately, Biba really brought this down.

I haven't paid close attention to this, but the plot to Shinkai's new film sounds like Remember11.

The Kimi no Na wa. film's "story of miracles and love" revolves around Mitsuha and Taki. Mitsuha is a female high school student who lives in a rural town nestled deep in the mountains. Her father is the mayor and isn't at home much, and she lives with her elementary school-aged little sister and her grandmother. Mitsuha has an honest personality, but she doesn't like the customs of her family's Shinto shrine, nor does she like her father participating in an election campaign. She laments that she lives in a confined rural town, and yearns for the wonderful lifestyle of living in Tokyo. Taki is a male high school student who lives in central Tokyo. He spends time with his friends, works part-time at an Italian restaurant, and is interested in architecture and fine arts. One day, Mitsuha has a dream where she is a young man. Taki also has a dream where he is a female high school student in a town in the mountains that he has never been to. What is the secret to their dreams of personal experience?

Also, it's getting its world premiere at Anime Expo in LA on July 3.

Third one's Rakugo Shinjuu from last season. Forget the second because the closest match I can get is AnoHana, but I can't think of a way to read Ano as Ow (damn English).

Hourou Musuko, Aoi Hana, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

Another character driven show I'd highly recommend is Planetes.

Thanks!

I also really liked Blue Spring Ride, sounds kinda similar to Sweet Blue Flowers (childhood friends reunited in high school and develop romantic feelings).

Fafner 23

You know this is the finale because bad shit is coming down left and right, all over the place.

I have to say though, based on my current progress through the two works, as anime with bleak settings go I'm finding this to be more sincere and likable than Berserk.

Decided to start to catch up on Kabaneri. 5 episodes in. Man, I thought Ikoma was going to be a more entertaining protagonist. Early on he looked like he was three or four steps away from being a mad scientist, who was going to save people out of spite. That part of him seems like he got shuffled away though. Now he's just a generic semi monster protagonist.

Line_HTX

Netoge 11

X1eTq0E.png

Blushing Kyou from having her first name called instead of just Student Council President. Best girl.

O////O

W2VBtGq.png

The pay to win premium player going to carry everyone. And damn, there's such a thing called reflect potions? I want that in some games!

Fafner 24

One thing I like about this series is how the dialogue for the Festum sounds convincingly alien, as in coming from an entity whose existence is fundamentally different from humanity and so struggles to understand and communicate with them. It's an interesting contrast from the more common depiction of aliens as human analogues, maybe with just a different skin color or something.

The animation for this episode was a bit better than usual, with more expressive character art and a couple good cuts, and so it's interesting to note that this episode was actually outsourced to Bones.

Kind an informal vote here, but there's been interest expresed, so if we get enough people to join in we can try it again...

If we did a "Let's Watch" next week which would you be down for:

Lucky☆Star or Code Geass?

Both are easily accessible, Code Geass would take most of the summer though.

I thought you'd want to get people in off-topic to watch, not scare them away :p

blurr

The visuals are giving little to wonder about beyond what already happened in season 1. I'm not sure if it's intentional or there's really nothing on season 2 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom