• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As miserable as being a Japanese animator is, I would be surprised if many continue to draw the objects of their suffering in their scant spare time. Maybe this explains the existence of guro fanart--it's simply underpaid, overworked animators lashing out.

Or the artist just get a kick out of it.

Jex

[Gunslinger Girl] - The Sixth One

This episode was a considerably more...standard than the previous one. The animation wasn't as good, the direction wasn't as sharp and the story wasn't character centric. However that doesn't mean it was a bad episode, it just means episode 5 was very special.

The formula for this episode was essentially: investigate targets, character stuff for Henrietta, investigate targets, action sequence, a bit more character stuff (but not too much) and that's it. Which is fine. I enjoyed how none of the characters seemed particularly stupid - everyone, including their targets, seemed to have a basic degree of competency.

The show does a lot to build a believable world and having it filled with hard-nosed military types goes along way towards achieving that. I like the small touches as well - there's one scene where Henrietta is passing through a security checkpoint to enter a safe location and out of the corner of the screen you can one of the guards impatiently tapping on his gun - he's clearly on edge. Nothing ever becomes of that, it's not meant to be foreshadowing, it simply portrays the dangerous world these characters exist in.

Dresden

sounds like the greatest subgenre to ever exist

dem economics

HZrhpl.png

Jex

Fujiko 13 - END

Bad. Really bad. It's kinda hilarious how this series basically completely fell apart and collapsed into a pile of shit from ep8 onwards. Before that it was mostly just boring, but in the second half the series really managed to somehow turn into an actively bad and offensive series by wallowing in self-important imagery and stupid plot developments. Every single aspect of the serious plot and all the revelations are terrible.

The last episode is like watching someone play a crappy JRPG and get to the final boss room where the villain spends 15 minutes of exposition on explaining all the plot twists and tying everything in the entire series together, explaining every reference and every piece of imagery. Not only is it childishly written, worse of all it isn't even entertaining or engaging. It's just dumb, contrived, and nonsensical.

This is terrible series and I will rather watch a 2 hour special on Ancient Aliens than ever think about this piece of trash again. The worst show this season by a country mile.
I am so glad that I dropped this show after episode 8. It looks finishing the show would have caused pain for me and my loved ones.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't see whats wrong with people putting in true love into their craft and creating characters in a story they truly care about.

Smile Precure 04

I didn't get it at first going through this episode.

Yayoi fits a very specific archetype in a cast of magical girls and so does Miyuki. I assumed that Akane was the hotblooded, sports loving athletic girl (with an Osaka accent to boot) but then in comes Nao who is all of that but she happens to play a much better sport.

Then it dawned on me that having 2 tomboy type characters in the same cast is not necessarily a bad thing. Just like how at least early on the best pairing in Oniisama e... involved two tomboy characters (although with completely different personalities) so too does Smile Precure. Akane x Nao is definitely where its at.

Nao gets the sad sob backstory and damn thats a lot of little kids shes looking after. Cure March has a cool design, dat hair explosion, and her battle style and special attack is definitely pretty interesting so far.

http://i.imgur.com/i5CSTl.jpg[IMG]

So by the end of the episode I approved. She also does what Ronaldon't :([/QUOTE]

Just one more episode till you're done with the character introductions!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jormungand 12 + Retrospective
I was actually warming up to this show with Valmet's little side story that comes to a conclusion in this episode. I finally felt like progress was being made towards revealing more about the overabundant cast, and it turns out they're actually a pretty likable bunch. I still see people and have no idea who they are though, and it really turns the tension even further down during the typically ham handed action scenes.

This episode was no different. Action scenes felt awkward and ungrounded, although the hand to hand combat felt like it moved smoothly, quickly, and felt right. For getting invested in Valmet's arc, which I thought would be the wrap up to the first twelve episodes, I found myself extremely let down. This is almost a textbook example on how not to do pacing. There is a flash away from the climactic moment and all sense of location is lost. Things then hurriedly play out as the show rushes through what should be a the emotional peak for episodes of build up. Insultingly, after everything feels so unresolved the show then pointlessly sets up the next arc at the end of the episode.

Jormungand is really all over the place in terms of its quality from moment to moment. It's a very strange and often unfulfilling show but I find myself drawn to it because I'm interested in the subject matter.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 9
fE4iY.jpg

Whoa there Oka...
What was up with the lighting and colors in this episode? Especially that scene with the extreme-marxist red going on. Well whatever, it has been well established both Urabe and Tsubaki are fucking crazy, so they were meant for each other.
q7toM.jpg

Does Tsubaki's pervertedness know no bounds?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But chances are they're not using that art, so I'm not sure if the moe levels will be as high.

For those interested, the pages I posted are from Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - "Be mine, Hero" "I refuse!".

Not to be confused with Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Other Side of the Hill or Maoyuu 4-Koma: You're Horrible, Maou-sama!, which are all awful in comparison.

http://i.minus.com/iZHHYpAcdlgnS.png

I really dislike her argument, and that's an issue because that's basically the plot --
she convinces him to support her plan of keeping the war going, because she show all these ways that actually things would be worse for people without the demon war than they are with it. Yes, "war is good, because of X, Y, and Z (internal warfare, etc.)" is her argument... and really, it's got all kinds of holes in it. Seriously, the forever war is not the answer, there has to be a better way. But the hero? The "hero", for whatever reason (read: because this is a (harem) manga), goes for it with barely a question.

And it's not like the story gets better, either.
It just becomes harem, pretty much, or at least harem in setting if not in lots of romance antics.
Sure, the Demon Queen's not the worst person, but seriously, I don't like the story... and yes, I did drop the manga. It's not a good series.

But chances are they're not using that art, so I'm not sure if the moe levels will be as high.

For those interested, the pages I posted are from Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - "Be mine, Hero" "I refuse!".

Not to be confused with Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Other Side of the Hill or Maoyuu 4-Koma: You're Horrible, Maou-sama!, which are all awful in comparison.
From the little I read of some of the others, it seemed like basically the same story, just with other artists and such... are they actually different?

Mmm boob armor. I remember Femme hating on it, but I give it a thumbs up.

http://www.abload.de/img/acchi2psk1i.jpg
There are lots of reasons to hate on breast armor, and few decent ones to defend it.

However, that's the least of what's wrong with the Sacred Blacksmith anime, that's for sure. Yeah, her "armor" is ridiculous, but there's so much more so fundamentally wrong with the series. Particularly early on, Sacred Blacksmith is VERY sexist. The depiction of Cecily is ridiculously sexist... she's always trying to protect people, but she's utterly useless, and has to get rescued by the guy every. single. time. It's painful stuff. And she's supposed to be a knight, too. It's completely pathetic, and it's not necessarily a source material issue either -- the manga is also sexist, but it's not as bad as the anime, and Cecily's a bit more competent in the early parts.

The series does get a bit more bearable later on, and Cecily gets more competent, but the constant protection never entirely goes away...

I can only hope that my soul is assigned to the pancake dimension when I die.
Pancakes are good, but waffles are even better...

In actuality, I feel like Fumoffu is the only part of FMP that's actually great. The rest of the franchise is just unremarkable mecha stuff.

What, you even dislike the comedy episodes in the first season? There were quite a few. "Fumoffu is the only thing I liked in the franchise" people usually seem to forget that...

It's pretty hard to keep track of all these -Tans. Do you have some kind of database?
One issue with them is that while some OSes have a standard representation (ME, XP, etc.), others don't. Some, like Vista, have a couple of completely different Vista-tans; others have even less of a standard (is there a standard DOS-tan?). Because until recently it was all fanart, they don't always look the same.

darkside's hopes and dreams are crushed: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...orks-relinquishes-ro-kyu-bu-home-video-rights

Too loli for the world?
Good riddance.

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

F/SN, UBW, & F/Z Saber stuff

Between the two adapations of F/SN routes, I think I've come to feel differently about Saber's portrayal in F/Z. Initially I thought she came across as a bland sort of character but in hindsight, she's this stoic figure clinging to her ideals even as they come under assault. Her role as king is brought into question by two very qualified people who each have had to bear the burden of the crown themselves and her clash of ideals with Kiritsugu was interesting in itself as, not only did it pose questions about Kiritsugu, but started to fill in the blank slate Saber was portrayed as.

As I look back, what I initially assumed was simply maintaining a character to carry over into later work was actually a graceful and respectful way of handling her. Even though Rider may have referred to her as a little girl, now it doesn't feel quite as derogatory but simply him speaking truthfully despite how she presented herself to others which is why it hit home as it did. Her code of conduct was under question too as she dealt with Lancer honorably and eventually Lancelot where the pedestal she'd placed herself upon was finally knocked out from beneath her as her refusal to judge him for his sins drove him to madness.

The quality of kingship as discussed by Rider, Gilgamesh, and Saber was one of my favorite parts of F/Z and that's what makes F/SN so disappointing in regards to her. Maybe it's addressed more fully in the VN or at least it's third route but it's minor in the F/SN tv adaptation and mostly used to draw parallels of her self-sacrifice and Shirou's propensity to do the same. Instead I was left with a strong character that's mostly demeaned in her portrayal. In the TV adaptation, she's relegated to housewife status as Shirou throws himself in the path of danger to save her the trouble. It's ridiculous due to how utterly capable she is but due to her sense of duty, she accepts his wishes for the most part and stays home. It wasn't nearly as bad in UBW until Caster stole her from Shirou and she was reduced to a oversexualized damsel in distress much like Sakura was in the TV show. I could handle the capture fine for either, I think, were it not for the ridiculous costume changes that accompanied it. I guess in the end I'm actually disgusted at the lengths taken to demean her due to her gender rather than her actual character and that's not likely to be something I get over without a rendition of F/SN that treats her better.

Good God, I think I've whiteknighted Saber. This entire endeavor was a terrible mistake!
... Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I don't think that rightly complaining about how horribly sexist Saber's portrayal is is really white knighting her...
I mean, you say at the end that it's "her actual character" that's your problem, but the issue with her character is that they designed her in such a ridiculously sexist manner, yes? I mean, that is at the core of the problem. You're right though, Shirou's worse, but Saber definitely enables him way, way too much.
Sexism is the problem, and it's the writers' fault.

Me-tan is the cutest one.
I don't think I'd agree, but I do think WinME is so badly misunderstood... she's not a bad OS. she just crashes too often. I used ME as my main OS for almost 5 1/2 years, though, and liked it overall. So yeah, poor ME-tan... not everyone thinks your OS is bad. :)

Haly

I really dislike her argument, and that's an issue because that's basically the plot --
She's keeping the war going in order to buy time to enact widespread agricultural and educational reform in order to give the winter nations self-sustainability once the war ends. At the same time, she's controlling the ebb and flow of the war by leading both sides of the conflict in order to minimize causalities on both sides without rousing suspicion.

I don't see how you can disagree with her methods, this is the best solution possible. For a manga that parodies JRPGs, her solution is very logical and well conceived.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't think I'd agree, but I do think WinME is so badly misunderstood... she's not a bad OS. she just crashes too often. I used ME as my main OS for almost 5 1/2 years, though, and liked it overall. So yeah, poor ME-tan... not everyone thinks your OS is bad. :)
Like the parent of a problem child.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Ah, I had thought the comp ace version was considered the "official" one, but sadly it appears you are correct. Now all my hype is gone. :(

Wait, a certain site says that the Comp Ace one is considered the official one. And the LN art is really cool too, if they decide to go with that instead of the manga artstyle. Hype restored!

She's keeping the war going in order to buy time to enact widespread agricultural and educational reform in order to give the winter nations self-sustainability once the war ends. At the same time, she's controlling the ebb and flow of the war by leading both sides of the conflict in order to minimize causalities on both sides without rousing suspicion.

I don't see how you can disagree with her methods, this is the best solution possible other than using some kind of deux ex machina to take over all the nations and then establish a tyranny. And the thing about tyrannies is that they lead to resentment and inevitably a bloody revolution.
"I have all this awesome magic (not really, but it seems like that to Hero and the other humans) futuristic (modern-ish, for us) technology that you don't, and just out of the goodness of my heart I'm going to keep a war going so I can teach you all it so that the world can be a better place later once I allow the war to end
? Seriously? That's a terrible plot.

Also, I just looked at it a bit to remind myself (because it's been a while), and does the Demon Queen ever
elaborate on who started the war? I mean, because that's an important point. She says "opinions differ on who started it", but doesn't explain herself, and he doesn't push much on the issue. However, that's one of the most important questions here -- who started it? If the humans really did start it, she'd be more justified than if she did. I know, she says that the demons were fighting themselves, and the war unified them, and yes that is a classic reason for starting wars (distract your people and unite them against your common foes), but wars like those are rarely good ones to say the least... this series' defense of such things is something I find very unpleasant.

Like, World War II ended the Great Depression! And also, despite 70 million plus deaths, it didn't take long at all for the population to recover and get above where it had been. And in the aftermath, both of the major enemy nations became out allies, too. So that war was maybe a good thing, right? ... Somehow I doubt sane people would agree with that statement, obviously.

But anyway, returning to that page...
I know that war does restart economies, sometimes. See World War II, in the US at least. But starting, or continuing, a war, just to supposedly restart an economy? That's as likely to fail as it is to succeed. Unless you're Palpatine or something, you're probably not going to be able to completely control both sides of a war. And seriously, the idea that she's this very modern economist, while everyone else apparently is Fantasy Medieval... where did she find all this stuff? I know, it's anime/manga, you're not supposed to think about it, but I do think about that kind of thing. Maybe she is from the future, who knows, that WOULD explain it, but it'd still be a silly, very manga explanation.

So, combining the points from the two above paragraphs, this manga's answer to the problem of how to justify the war is to
create a world so perfectly broken that her war solution actually looks like a good one, but that's obviously a creation done to justify the concept, it's not something entirely plausible on its own. It's just so convenient that the southern nations are so broken that only this war can keep them from complete collapse, isn't it... etc.
You can probably tell where I have a problem here.
The first chapter also brings up stupid conspiracy garbage, about how the human governments would keep the war going through skulduggery because they need this war for their societies. I know that that kind of thing's a common plotline in stories, but I'm always very skeptical about how plausible it is. I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories. And anyway, even considering that, her all-bleak portrayal isn't inevitable, some of those things could possibly end in a happier direction if people worked towards it.

On that note, basically the plot here is
She's Palpatine, with knowledge of the future on top of that, except she's here to do good by causing limited wars.
It's just ridiculous. And no, I don't like the "economic progress through war" message. It's NOT a good message. And her too-modern knowledge and technology is unrealistic, too.

Like the parent of a problem child.
I chose to use ME throughout XP's life, and went from ME to Vista, and I've never regretted it. :)

Native DOS gaming is good!

Mysterious Girlfriend X 10
1JJMZ.jpg

You goddamn two-timing drool drinker!
Worst haircut ever. And with the new haircut, she has also gone insane. Tsubaki is falling right into her trap too. Can't wait to see what the next episode will bring, but I'll have to.
vsi1T.jpg

Dressing up in your old middle school uniform, totally not creepy at all...

Haly

ABF, you're really missing some key ideas and I'd elaborate but I'm not macodin and I can't keep up with your level of verbosity.

The gist is that:
- She wants to end the war
- She recognizes that the war is all that's keeping her country united and the winter kingdoms alive
- The winter kingdoms are dependent on the economic support of the central kingdoms, which they only receive because the winter kingdoms are fighting a neverending war against the demons
- In order to make sure the aftermath of the war doesn't kill everyone off, she's going to give the winter kingdoms the means to sustain themselves
- She probably also has some plan to unite the demon nations but currently her focus is on the winter kingdoms
- Her whole MO is saving the world through agricultural advancement and educational reform. Considering the usual amount of unbelievable stuff in manga this is not really that farfetched at all. While her knowledge may be anachronistic, the way she's applying it is completely rational. There are HUNDREDS of supposedly super geniuses in anime/manga who never come close to displaying the level of rationale she does, because their stories are ultimately about people beating each other up. That you would complain about the way she's applying her very realistic knowledge and understanding of anthropology, sociology, agricultural science and economic theory is just ludicrous.
- It's a parody of JRPGs, where most of the time the hero saves the world by killing thousands of people/things indiscriminately. She's subverting the typical "might makes right" that characterizes so many game stories.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One issue with them is that while some OSes have a standard representation (ME, XP, etc.), others don't. Some, like Vista, have a couple of completely different Vista-tans; others have even less of a standard (is there a standard DOS-tan?). Because until recently it was all fanart, they don't always look the same.

Yes, this certainly was a problem when I was looking for SnowLeopard tan, since OS X seems to have even less standardisation compared to the Windows side. Then again she'd probably not want anything to do with my desktop after seeing [post=36940045]this[/post]

Mysterious Girlfriend X 10

Worst haircut ever. And with the new haircut, she has also gone insane. Tsubaki is falling right into her trap too. Can't wait to see what the next episode will bring, but I'll have to.
Next episode certainly delivers the "goods" ho ho ho ho ho.

ABF, you're really missing some key ideas and I'd elaborate but I'm not macodin and I can't keep up with your level of verbosity.

The gist is that:
- She wants to end the war
- She recognizes that the war is all that's keeping her country united and the winter kingdoms alive
- The winter kingdoms are dependent on the economic support of the central kingdoms, which they only receive because the winter kingdoms are fighting a neverending war against the demons
- In order to make sure the aftermath doesn't kill everyone off, she's going to give the winter kingdoms the means to sustain themselves
- She probably also has some plan to unite the demon nations but currently her focus is on the winter kingdoms
Alright, I understand that now, but I think this part of my criticism of the series (quoted below) explains why I don't think that those explanations are something that I could like or accept as a decent plot. They explain the story, but don't excuse the concept... not really.

A Black Falcon said:
Like, World War II ended the Great Depression! And also, despite 70 million plus deaths, it didn't take long at all for the population to recover and get above where it had been. And in the aftermath, both of the major enemy nations became out allies, too. So that war was maybe a good thing, right? ... Somehow I doubt sane people would agree with that statement, obviously.

But anyway, returning to that page... I know that war does restart economies, sometimes. See World War II, in the US at least. But starting, or continuing, a war, just to supposedly restart an economy? That's as likely to fail as it is to succeed. Unless you're Palpatine or something, you're probably not going to be able to completely control both sides of a war. And seriously, the idea that she's this very modern economist, while everyone else apparently is Fantasy Medieval... where did she find all this stuff? I know, it's anime/manga, you're not supposed to think about it, but I do think about that kind of thing. Maybe she is from the future, who knows, that WOULD explain it, but it'd still be a silly, very manga explanation.

So, combining the points from the two above paragraphs, this manga's answer to the problem of how to justify the war is to create a world so perfectly broken that her war solution actually looks like a good one, but that's obviously a creation done to justify the concept, it's not something entirely plausible on its own. It's just so convenient that the southern nations are so broken that only this war can keep them from complete collapse, isn't it... etc. You can probably tell where I have a problem here. The first chapter also brings up stupid conspiracy garbage, about how the human governments would keep the war going through skulduggery because they need this war for their societies. I know that that kind of thing's a common plotline in stories, but I'm always very skeptical about how plausible it is. I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories. And anyway, even considering that, her all-bleak portrayal isn't inevitable, some of those things could possibly end in a happier direction if people worked towards it.
That is,
It's basically a world setup created to justify a forever war situation that in reality would be almost certainly unjustifiable.
I'm criticizing the series on a more basic level.

wonzo

Banned
Jormungand 12

Hmm, this was a rather solid conclusion for a rather inconsistent yet interesting series. I can't say I'm fond of cliff-hangers in split cour shows but I guess I can always read the manga if I can't be bothered to wait 3 months to see what happens next.

Haly

What do you mean by justify?

Do you mean that you dislike the fact that the world was made solely for the sake of this plot?

Or do you mean that the war is morally indefensible?

With the former, pretty much every story setting is crafted in order to enable to plot. For example, the world of 1984 is, I feel, impossible to arrive at, but I cannot disagree with Orwell that once the whole Oceania/Eurasia/Eastasia system is in place, it would be completely and totally self sustaining.

With the latter, the manga never, to my knowledge, attempts to say "this is right" or "this is wrong". Instead, it is saying "this is the situation and these are the reasons why it is happening". As you no doubt know, there are many examples in history of wars being rejuvenating forces, as well as wars started in order to unite a populace. The manga is only using those kinds of situations as its setting, not trying to justify them. If you think so, you're probably reading too much into it.

The story as a whole is very morally sound, since the protagonists are always aiming for a better world while the antagonists are trying to maintain the unfortunate status quo.

Soma

All I know is that there's a lot of words and it's bloated as fuck. Took me a few months to get through it (reading it on and off again).

Heaven's Feel was a pretty good read though,
sex scenes aside
. Wasn't a big fan of the other two, though UBW had copious amounts of Rin so that's always good.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Alright, I understand that now, but I think this part of my criticism of the series (quoted below) explains why I don't think that those explanations are something that I could like or accept as a decent plot. They explain the story, but don't excuse the concept... not really.

That is,
It's basically a world setup created to justify a forever war situation that in reality would be almost certainly unjustifiable.
I'm criticizing the series on a more basic level.

That's actually something I really like about it, since it doesn't break the war down into simple terms of RIGHT and WRONG, it's more ambiguous than that. And of course the setting is created to carry the story! Why wouldn't it be?

/XX/

I've wondered this before... why is there one Mr. Ōtsuka but two Hayao Miyazaki in that shot? Were they hinting at something with that? Is he a twin brother? A clone? That would explain how much workload he was (they were) able to take!

duckroll

I'd just like to say I think I was onto something when I first criticized the OP as being pretentious and overwrought.

Yes, you were right, and it only more people were not blinded by the potential quality that Koike and Yamamoto might have provided, we would not have suffered like G did. :(

But... At least I'm not Narag:

Look at where this path has lead you. You're as doomed as a Gen Urobuchi character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom