• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiders - Why we need them/how to live with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

I feel like my only condition to spiders is my bed. Get near my bed and you die, also size may also play a factor. Bigger than an inch and a half is a target, even if it does stay away from my bed.

Cragvis

Nice try, spider.

icon.jpg

DedValve

Banned
So you would rather live in a world with 100x more of this
mosquito.jpg

and this
common-fly.jpg

and this
wasp-0071.jpg

Aren't most spiders unable to do shit all against wasps and there are certain wasp/hornet species that actively hunt spiders?

I know sod all about wasps/tarantulas except they serve no evolutionary goal other than to fuck with nature and humans.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, spiders are awesome and helpful. And like you said OP you usually only find them in your house is if you have other pests or hygiene problems otherwise they wouldn't have bothered coming in. If I notice one in my room I usually try to carry it outside. Also, here's a dancing spider.

tumblr_m0lu5daO8m1rod3e9o4_250.gif

y6KobEC.gif

SpiderDance1JP.gif

i.chzbgr1.gif

Jaeger

Aren't most spiders unable to do shit all against wasps and there are certain wasp/hornet species that actively hunt spiders?

I know sod all about wasps/tarantulas except they serve no evolutionary goal other than to fuck with nature and humans.

There are species of Wasp that due indeed hunt out spiders specifically. They are called spider wasp, with one of the more known ones (and also one of the largest wasp period) being the Tarantula Hawk. Most of them actively seek out spiders, so they can paralyze and lay an egg in them. Similar to a lot of other parasitoid wasp.Here is an image showing the scale of these, and how they are able to effectively hunt tarantula;

The average wasp is not a big threat to most species that would prey on it. I've seen many a web of an Orb Weaver or Wolf, or Widow with large wasp in their grips. Here is a video of a Black Widow handling a large wasp.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXeVAUoJlXM

They are brilliant hunters and know their prey. They stay away from the stinger, and wrap them up with silk (if that's their weapon of choice) from a distance before delivering the death blow.

Yeah, spiders are awesome and helpful. And like you said OP you usually only find them in your house is if you have other pests or hygiene problems otherwise they wouldn't have bothered coming in. If I notice one in my room I usually try to carry it outside. Also, here's a dancing spider.

tumblr_m0lu5daO8m1rod3e9o4_250.gif

y6KobEC.gif

SpiderDance1JP.gif

i.chzbgr1.gif

Love those gives. I think that's the peacock jumping spider at the top?

wildfire

Banned
Cool OP

If I was traveling a lot I would find that regional website useful.

Spiders are evolving and posting threads now.

Even more reason to get rid of them.

Just wait until they start forming political action committees, better them than the roaches.

Jaeger

I have a general rule for spiders: don't let me see you.

Utp0Rfb.gif

That orange spider in the op looks like a hermit crab more than a spider to me. What kind is it?

"Crab spider" is a term used loosely to describe a lot of different families of spiders. That spider is actually a type of orb weaver named Encyosaccus sexmaculatus, or "Orange Tortoise Spider". It's tiny.

8kESFcS.jpg

Quixzlizx

I agree with the OP. I kill insects in my apartment, and I allow my spider guards to roam the halls in search of anything I've missed.

Jaeger

Warning. Image intensive post coming up.

The genius of how Spiders hunt can't be over stated. Each of every species has their own unique way of hunting their prey.

Some use brute strength. Some use their powerful silk and numerous ways. And some take it to a whole other level.

None of those are ants. All species of Jumping spider.

Ant on left, spider on right. And it doesn't stop there. Spiders that blend in or mimic flowers....

...Ladybugs....

...and even bird dung!

Warning. Image intensive post coming up.

The genius of how Spiders hunt can't be over stated. Each of every species has their own unique way of hunting their prey.

Some use brute strength. Some use their powerful silk and numerous ways. And some take it to a whole other level.

None of those are ants. All species of Jumping spider.

Ant on left, spider on right. And it doesn't stop there. Spiders that blend in or mimic flowers....

...Ladybugs....

...and even bird dung!

DAMN!!!

truly amazing stuff.

spiders have had millions of years to become OP predators

Hobbun

Some spiders I leave alone, some I kill. I have a Daddy Longlegs that resides in the corner in my bathroom. I leave him alone, he leaves me alone.

To be honest, I am lucky where I live, the only nasty one in my area is the Brown Recluse. But he is a nasty one. Bite areas just die and need to be removed. Fortunately I've never run into one.

But the spiders in South America, those just freak me out. Never been there, but I remember seeing a special about the spiders, and I mean huge spiders, that just lived in the huts out in the jungle areas. The villagers would need to wrap themselves in basically a cocoon every night when they slept, as the spider(s) would come down and play.

Just gives me shivers thinking about it.

Why we are scared of them? For the most part, is is a cultural thing. Especially in America. We make films that prey on our ignorance of everything. It's literally the fear of the unknown. And that unknown fear can cause harm, without addressing it. We have tons of movies about spiders of all kinds of sizes, and shapes. Making them blood thirsty monsters that go out their way to terrorize and devour all that comes before them, when that is frankly untrue. And then there are the Wives' Tales. Our relatives or friends telling us all kinds of horror stories. The new Wives' Tales are creepy-pasta on the web, or the few times something bad has happened, and it's passed around for a decade as if it's new or another case. We take all these false notions and ignorance out on species that are not only harmless to us, but are keeping real crap at bay for us.

Actually, there is evidence that humans have a biological inclination towards acquiring fear of spiders, along with certain other animals and situations (heights, for instance). I stumbled across the idea during research in my honours year, my thesis was on using machine learning techniques to enhance computer based treatments of spider phobia. Fear of spiders is not only extremely easy for humans to acquire, it is quite difficult to extinguish.

Jaeger

Actually, there is evidence that humans have a biological inclination towards acquiring fear of spiders, along with certain other animals and situations (heights, for instance). I stumbled across the idea during research in my honours year, my thesis was on using machine learning techniques to enhance computer based treatments of spider phobia. Fear of spiders is not only extremely easy for humans to acquire, it is quite difficult to extinguish.

That sounds more than feasible. There is a natural uneasiness we get when it comes to spiders and insects alike. The strange and odd brings about fear. However we can't deny our own media and social structure does little to help the situation. In fact we fan the flames.

GhaleonEB

The average wasp is not a big threat to most species that would prey on it. I've seen many a web of an Orb Weaver or Wolf, or Widow with large wasp in their grips. Here is a video of a Black Widow handling a large wasp.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXeVAUoJlXM

They are brilliant hunters and know their prey. They stay away from the stinger, and wrap them up with silk (if that's their weapon of choice) from a distance before delivering the death blow.

This was an interesting video. The widow was in a war of attrition with the wasp: it was wrapping its silk furiously as the wasp was using its mandibles to cut strands to try and free itself. The spider was faster, and threw silk around its wings which the wasp was unable to turn toward and cut. The widow also knew to steer clear of the mandibles and stinger, staying behind and above the wasp. Near the end the wasp got desperate and began really lashing out with the stinger, but the spider stayed just out of reach. As you said, it knew its prey and how to deal with it.

Xe4

Banned
Spiders: If they're venomous, they die, if they're within five feet of my bed they die, otherwise they can stay.

I used to think like OP. I would let spiders roam freely and eat all of the insects around the house, which made it cleaner and more pleasant to live in.

Then one day my mom was doing laundry in the basement and that's when they decided to upgrade their meal. The poor woman never stood a chance. I can still hear the screams... her last words were "you let this happen".

Jaeger

There is that hella deceptive photo of a Goliath birdeater. Dudes hand is way farther back than the relative location of the spider (who seems to almost be directly in front of the camera lense). Those guys are big. The largest of any known spider in terms of pure mass, but they are not even close to "puppy sized".

This was an interesting video. The widow was in a war of attrition with the wasp: it was wrapping its silk furiously as the wasp was using its mandibles to cut strands to try and free itself. The spider was faster, and threw silk around its wings which the wasp was unable to turn toward and cut. The widow also knew to steer clear of the mandibles and stinger, staying behind and above the wasp. Near the end the wasp got desperate and began really lashing out with the stinger, but the spider stayed just out of reach. As you said, it knew its prey and how to deal with it.

I love these kinds of videos. Even with their speed and flight, a spider usually out maneuvers wasps. I saw a Widow on tree adjacent to a newly built wasp nest at my job, and he had about 4 dead wasp in the web at the end of one afternoon. He knew exactly what he was doing. It's incredibly fascinating.

Let's be real.

Spider-Man's existence completely justifies the existence of spiders.

Agreed.

All spiders are welcome in my home. I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

Except white tails. They automatically die upon discovery.

Poona

If for whatever reason there is a spider in the house and I don't wish for it to be there all I do is get a glass and place it on top and then slide a piece of card/thick paper underneath (being careful not to cut the spiders legs (hopefully they crawl up inside the glass so this is easier) and then let it go outside.

Think it's sad when some people have the reaction to kill them. They're here on the earth and they exist for whatever reason. I don't think they had a choice in being born as a spider, they're only trying to survive.

I can barely look at the images in the thread but I do let spiders have their way in my apartment. I saw one making its way across the ceiling above my bed the other night. I hope it finds a nice corner from which it can wreak havoc on insect invaders.

I remember watching a program years ago about some studies done on babies, too young to have been influenced (too much) that spiders are bad. They brought out mechanical toys, all identical except the amount of legs, the only thing that freaked them out was 8 legs, which they wouldn't go near.

There's some suggestion that whilst we aren't born with the fear, we find the fear of spiders very easy to acquire due to genetic programming. But to be honest for every article saying one thing, there is another saying the exact opposite.

I think there must be some form of genetics at play, my wife freaks at the sight of any rodent, but she's ok with spiders, yet my kids have no fear at all of rodents, but whilst I've done my best to educate them on spiders they still have that basic fear. Anecdotal I know, but I'm sure there is something in seeing a spider that makes our instincts go "danger!". And to be honest here in Sydney a little bit of fear isn't a bad thing.

There's some suggestion that whilst we aren't born with the fear, we find the fear of spiders very easy to acquire due to genetic programming. But to be honest for every article saying one thing, there is another saying the exact opposite.

The idea of being primed to be afraid of certain kinds of things was what I stumbled across, yeah. The number of people with certain kinds of phobia are enormous (Heights, Spiders, Flying etc) but the number of people with other kinds of specific phobia (electrical sockets, cars) is statistically negligible. These are often things that we fully recognise as being highly dangerous and teach our kids about, but it's just so rare. Even people who get hit by cars or electrocuted, while they generate aversions, almost never actually get phobic.

I think it's quite clear that fairly standard models of fear acquisition, whereby they are purely learned, are inadequate to explain what we see.

This actually was really cool. I am scared of them, but what gets me is I know I have so many because the place I rent has so many other bugs.

Brown recluses are no joke though. Black widows scare me, but Brown recluses are even more rare and the knowledge that their venom is worse only heightens my fear when I see them.

When I was 6, a giant wolf spider crawled on my face and bit me while I was sleeping. That has earned spiders my everlasting hatred. Nevermind the fact that most spiders can live for several months to a year without any food or water, so they probably aren't as good for pest control as some of you might believe. Also, I hate them far more than any of the other insects in my house. They're the pests.

I try to leave them alone when they're outside, but if they come into my house their lives are forfeit.

Spinluck

When I was a kid, I remember seeing spiders around the house, and I'd go around looking for any bug I can find and throw them into a spiders web. Not sure what it was, but it was always cool watching them wrap up their food and shit.

Hell, if I happen to catch it happening I'd watch, even as a grown ass man. There is just something weirdly artistic about them lol.

Jaeger

When I was 6, a giant wolf spider crawled on my face and bit me while I was sleeping. That has earned spiders my everlasting hatred. Nevermind the fact that most spiders can live for several months to a year without any food or water, so they probably aren't as good for pest control as some of you might believe. Also, I hate them far more than any of the other insects in my house. They're the pests.

I try to leave them alone when they're outside, but if they come into my house their lives are forfeit.

It's the truth. They may go months without feeding, but they must gorge themselves when they are able.

Dishwalla

Banned
Spiders are fine, usually have no issue with them until I see one near my bed, then we have a problem. I know it probably happens anyway, but the idea of them crawling around me when I'm sleeping freaks me out, and I can't tolerate it. Stay away from the bed.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Spiders are awesome. When we lived in San Diego we had this spider that would chill by our sink in our kitchen. We'd call him Greg. He'd watch us do the dishes and then peace out, back into some corner. He chilled with us for like 2 years, and guess what? We didn't have any other bugs in our kitchen! Dude was on it. All because I manned up and made a truce with him that one time. He definitely kept his end of the bargain.

We have giant house spiders in my house, they are freaking large, and I believe the fastest animal/insect on the ground for it's size. They also eat bad bugs (like the brown recluse) and generally mind their own business. I have no issues with them. Only problem is wife is terrified of spiders, so yeah...they die

This actually was really cool. I am scared of them, but what gets me is I know I have so many because the place I rent has so many other bugs.

Brown recluses are no joke though. Black widows scare me, but Brown recluses are even more rare and the knowledge that their venom is worse only heightens my fear when I see them.

I moved from the UK (no dangerous spiders outside of The Daily Express Bullshit machine) to Australia around 3 years ago. I got bitten by a redback, which has very similar effects to a Black Widow about 18 months ago. Weird thing is my fear of spiders has all but gone. Getting bitten by a spider that was 2nd in Australia and in the top ten in the world made me go "Hmmm, I've had worse". It hurt like hell for a few days, the aches etc. but it was dealable and not as bad as say a toothache. Didn't even go to the Doctors (though to be honest my wife is one). I've gone from being scared of house spiders in the UK to happily removing hand size Huntsmen from the house in Australia. A little knowledge is a scary thing, it's only when we experience things that we get a proper perspective and realise maybe things aren't as scary as we first thought. I will say ever since my first child was born I have refused to act scared around Spiders just because I didn't want them to inherite my fear. I think this helped in Australia as by forcing myself to deal because of my kids, I actually ended up dealing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom