• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiders - Why we need them/how to live with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

d5zzHtf.jpg
Spiders. Some like them. Some tolerate them. Some hate them. I am hear to spread a bit of knowledge about them, and how we absolutely need them. Without them, we'd starve and be overrun by much more terrible creatures. Personally, I grew up with a healthy fear of them. And I have possibly killed hundreds in my lifetime. Not really knowing their significance in the Eco-system. Not being aware of the job they were doing for my family, let alone the whole planet. As I got older I decided I want to desensitize myself of them and eliminate my fear, if only to properly deal with them in situations where I need to be brave where I would usually be on a chair.

Now I don't see myself getting a tarantula as a pet anytime soon. But I am learning to do the proper thing(not killing them to start) in most situations when I come across one in my home or personal space.

Why we are scared of them? For the most part, is is a cultural thing. Especially in America. We make films that prey on our ignorance of everything. It's literally the fear of the unknown. And that unknown fear can cause harm, without addressing it. We have tons of movies about spiders of all kinds of sizes, and shapes. Making them blood thirsty monsters that go out their way to terrorize and devour all that comes before them, when that is frankly untrue. And then there are the Wives' Tales. Our relatives or friends telling us all kinds of horror stories. The new Wives' Tales are creepy-pasta on the web, or the few times something bad has happened, and it's passed around for a decade as if it's new or another case. We take all these false notions and ignorance out on species that are not only harmless to us, but are keeping real crap at bay for us.

tvMfxww.jpg

Antilles Pinktoe aka Versicolor
Some species are beautiful and kept as pets. Especially some tarantula species. Most tarantulas are docile, and even tolerate being handled.

Deal with the phobia. First, forget everything you thought you knew about spiders. It's probably wrong. The first step to overcoming something is to get familiar with it. Like if you wanted to skydive, you would take classes about it. So one way to is utilize the web (pun intended) and get some information on these guys. There are numerous resources out there, some of which I will link down below. Other methods is to gain confidence and try to be comfortable with them when you see them. Stare at some images on the net. Watch some videos (documentaries are great for this). Check out your local pet shops and take a look at them in person. And when you get really comfortable, try holding a non-venomous spider. Eventually, it will be like any other creature you usually don't fear, to you. Problem solved!

Why we need them. Individual spiders eat up to 2,000 insects a year. And in some cases other (sometimes more dangerous) spiders. Let's say there are maybe 5 spiders around your home that you are aware of. If you kill them that's 10,000 extra mosquitoes, flies, roaches, earwigs, bees and wasps, possible venomous spiders, lizards, and even some small rodents that are now all over your yard and in and around your home, instead. Sometimes you have to pick your poison, and I'd much rather have the 5 spiders than 10,000 other crazy things, personally.

The real enemies, and a world without spiders. As I stated prior, without spiders we would be overrun with tons and tons of other things that are far worse than spiders. Most spiders feed exclusively on meat. Specifically the meat of insects. They don't feed on vegetation, pets, or humans. However what they do eat, does. Flies, termites, and other infestation famous animals would eat all of our crops thus killing our food supply, and then us. Mosquitoes would be in much more massive numbers and kill more than the 1,000,000,000 (one million) people a year they already do. Animals like small lizards and birds would lose a huge food source in spiders, too. Some spiders breed in massive numbers, but in a lot of cases only a small number of them actually survive due to the already harsh conditions in which they live now. With crops destroyed, tons of predatory animals that help balance nature like spiders do, and the population decimated, we would pretty much be thrown into some post-apocalyptic Fist of the North Star/Mad Max world type shit. I'm not even joking. And I don't want that. Not unless I learned the secrets of Hokuto Shinken.

Also, we would have a world without him;
And I don't want that, and neither do you.

Know what is in your region, and how to live with them. There are almost 45,000 species of spiders. There are spiders in every place on Earth, minus the South Pole. It is important when trying to properly understand spiders to know what particular species actually live near you. There are tools that can help. Some of which are below. For instance I live in Northern Alabama, in the United States. The most dangerous spiders here (which actually are some of the most dangerous in the world) are the Brown Recluse, and the Black Widow spider. While they are here, and if you look hard enough you will spot them, they are shy in nature and typically try and stay out of sight (they are still dangerous, and need to be treated with caution and respect). They will not build their nests or cast large webs over your front door. There are many others that resemble those two, and commonly get The Boot(tm) because they were confused with the dangerous ones.

We have Wolf Spiders here as well, which just by the name alone scares a lot of people. They are pretty harmless to us, and don't carry venom harmful to us. They are however pretty large on a lot of occasions. These are the guys that are capable of controlling the more dangerous species of spiders numbers. They easily handle the smaller Widow and Recluse. So even though they look scarier, don't kill them! Unless you want to deal with the other guys.

Most spiders just want to be left alone. Majority just live the life of a wandering samurai. No family, no kids. Just eating to live.

Things you can do to lessen your encounters with them (at least within your home). Keep a clean house. Seriously, the less places any creature has to hide and get comfortable in, the better. Wash your damn clothes and keep them off the ground, college peeps! Vacuum that rug, and keep food put away. Dishes clean. It will help a great deal. A good method is to try and limit how many ways they can get in. Some come right through the front door. Get a stopper for the underside of the doors to keep them from being able to crawl under them. More methods include repellants. Vinegar works well. Same for Citrus and peppermint based products. There are also plants they deter spiders that can be planted around your home. Just remember that too much will keep them away, but invite others.

Things happen. The sad thing is, that there are instances of dangerous spiders getting out of control or harming us. It does happens, and it's very unfortunate. I am not gonna lie to you and say spiders never hurt anyone, or they are harmless. That's not true at all. These creatures are warriors. Natural born killers. And some are equipped with the tools to slow us down, or completely stop us dead in our tracks. It is nature, after all. When I was younger I was bit by a spider and apparently had a bad reaction from them. It wasn't a very venomous one, and I was not able to identify it. I was fortunate that it wasn't one that could cause bad physical damage like a Recluse, but those things happen. The fortunate thing is that it doesn't happen often.

In closing, as I learn more about them, the cooler they become. I'm becoming fascinated by all the things they do. All the ways they hunt. There is a spider for everything. Ever heard of the Diving-bell spider? Look them up. Incredible stuff. Even some of the most dangerous species have not been able to down anyone in the past 20 years, due to modern medicine keeping us all safe. Arguably the most dangerous spider in the world, the Sydney Funnel-web spider, has a powerful anti-venom available thanks to scientist who literally take these guys, and milk their fangs almost 100 times for just 1 vile. That 1 vile is the key to surviving a bite, and no deaths have been attributed to these spider since 1981. Spider research is leading to all types of incredibly userful things for humans too. Like medicines, and their silk is stronger than Kevlar and most metals. I'm hoping that this long thread can help even a little with my fellow gaffers and their own battles with spiders.

I4VqTXf.jpg
~ Don't hurt me mister!

RESOURCES
http://www.spiders.us/ - A handy tool that is continuously updated to identify all spider types by region. USA Focused.
http://www.termite.com/spiders/ - Similar to the above, with a focus on which ones are dangerous to man.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Spider-Repellent-at-Home - Homemade Spider repellants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider
http://www.buzzfeed.com/sararubin/what-would-happen-if-all-the-spiders-disappeared - Quick video on some of what I spoke of in this post.
Creatures scarier than spiders
Venomous spiders
Super Spider Documentary

I don't care what they are or what they do... you come into my house, you go squish now!

I fucking hate the place I'm staying in now, have to carry a fly-swatter into the bathroom every time for fear of something crawling on my ass or jumping on my wiener.

ST2K

Good post OP.

I'm still gonna be terrified of Black Widows though. Maybe I won't be as freaked out the next time I see a harmless one though!

Great post, OP. Even if you are secretly a spider in disguise, it's justified.

Did You Know...

Spiders rarely kill, you petty, fearful curs. Grow a spine and stop killing them because you're afraid of their 'evil' intentions, you little pathetic wretch.

I don't care what they do for me, seen or unseen. I'm also well aware of the spiders in my area and their typical behavior... They still creep me out and their webs creep me out as well. The way they move, crawl, and feel on my hands terrify me.

Funny thing is, I'm not afraid of snakes, rodents, or insects. Just spiders.

SalvaPot

Oh luck, a spider
man
thread.

I like the ones with big legs and small bodies, they are harmless and eat flies, what is not to like? I have one in my bathroom, so every time I take a bath I can see him get scared and jump to a safe zone, I always wait for him to get out of harms way.

The only ones I don't get rid of when they wander into my house are Daddy longlegs. They tend to kill the random mosquito that gets inside. So their OK with me.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
The only ones I don't get rid of when they wander into my house are Daddy longlegs. They tend to kill the random mosquito that gets inside. So their OK with me.

But they crawl into your mouth while you're sleeping. Who knows what they are doing in there but it can't be good.

There are two spiders in my bathroom. I don't recognize the species, they have short legs and fat bodies. One sits in the ceiling corner above the toilet, the other resides in the ceiling corner above the shower cabinet.

I don't mess with them and they don't mess with me. It's been like that for maybe two weeks now and I'm happy for our non-aggression pact to continue.

But I can't help but feel these spiders are voyeurs based on their locations, the bloody perverts.

xam3l

Seriously, what a bunch of pussies lol

I don't like them either, but after looking at them for a while, these creatures can be fascinating.

phobias can suck tho. :(

Wolfe

Spiders are fucking rad. My mom has always had a rather big phobia of them and if anything I think that helped fuel my interest in them. I definitely prefer them to the majority of insects I run into on a regular basis. Plus as OP mentioned their silk is badass and we're starting to harness it for the power of humans, for example replacement tendons, how awesome is that?!

I've also always had a special respect for wolf spiders, being my name bros and all.

GhaleonEB

Given that the OP actually put some effort into creating a discussion, let's not dump the usual parade of spider.gifs and turn this into every other spider thread.

pswii60

I was doing ok until that first animated GIF and then I immediately blanked everything you'd said up to that point. Nope.

i could do without any of them tbh

Flies, while disgusting, serve a purpose. Mosquitos are killers but there are so many of them and they are a big part of many food chains.

Wasps though... no death is too slow and painful for them. Just the worst. Loud, aggressive, attracted to your food and unlike bees a wasp can just sting you over and over. Fuck wasps.

Terrell

I have one rule: outside? That's their home, and I don't bother them in their home.
If they want in my home without my permission? Death is the only answer. Either by my own hand or by starvation since I don't suffer any insect in my home for them to feed on.

I usually spread the doors and windowsills with lemon oil. Tidbit: most spiders taste with one or more of their feet and citrus apparently tastes like hot garbage to them. If you have pets or want a catch-all solution, substitute lemon for lavender. It repels all insects except bees (which are attracted to them) and it either repels spiders as well or they're smart enough to know that there's no food to be had near something that smells like lavender.

VARIA

Litte fisherman of the night...

“[T]here are no small matters. Just as there is no small life. The life of an insect, a spider, his life is as large as yours, and yours is as large as mine. Life is life. You wish to live as much as I do; you have spent seven months of hell, waiting day after day for what you needed . . . the way a spider waits. Think about the spider, Joe Fernwright. He makes his web. Then he makes a little silk cave at the end of the web to sit in. He holds strands that lead to every part of the web, so that he will know when something to eat, something he must have to live, arrives. He waits. A day goes by. Two days. A week. He waits on; there is nothing he can do but wait. The little fisherman of the night . . . and perhaps something comes, and he lives, or nothing comes, and he waits and he thinks, ‘It won’t come in time. It is too late.’ And he is right, he dies still waiting.”

-Philip K. Dick, Galactic Pot Healer 1969

danm999

I do like that they reduce the population of flies, mosquitoes and wasps, but I was in the shower the other day and saw a Funnel Web crawling across the floor of my bathroom.

I had to wait for it to leave. It was super uncool. Spiders are on thin ice with me.

Jaeger

Mosquitoes are the deadliest creatures on the planet. And flies are disgusting pest that carry numerous diseases (just like mosquitoes). I can't fathom how one could still prefer those knowing that, to a spider.

That's beyond phobia. That's insanity.

OraleeWey

I'm so confused... I left a .gif on this thread. Unless it was deleted or I accidentally left it on another thread since I kept multiple tabs opened. Where ever I posted that gif, GAF is making fun of me because it may not have anything to do with the topic. Sigh...

Jaeger

What is really cool is that we are still discovering species of spiders every year.

8HcLf21.jpg

Typhochlaena costae
A type of tarantula. This one is pictured in the OP. Discovered in 2013 in Brazil. Very pretty color.

RF0QlHl.jpg
sRnXvXv.jpg

Trogloraptor marchingtoni
This one is a cave dwelling spider just discovered a few years ago. It has very unique claw or hook on the end of every leg, certainly designed to help climbing around in a cave, and hunting prey there, too.

1qImXS0.jpg
c6LSY4i.jpg

Ricinoides atewa
This primitive and tiny arachnid here. Probably one of the strangest I have ever seen. They apparently have fossil records going way back.

oei07EC.jpg
MGSSkhf.jpg

Myrmekiaphila tigris
A new species of trapdoor spider (my fave!), and discovered right here in Alabama! Pictured if both female and male specimens.

Such an incredibly varied type of animal.

Sources;
http://thesmallermajority.com/2012/11/21/a-biblical-arachnid/
https://www.auburn.edu/cosam/news/2...-discovered-from-a-college-town-backyard-.htm
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20113010-22773.html

If you are in the US, especially on the East Coast, one important fact about spiders: They kill asian stink bugs.

Asian stink bugs are actually a big issue in the US right now. They breed very quickly, they do serious damage to crops and plants, they damage outdoor AC and heating units, and most dangerously they have no natural predators here. Spiders are about the only things that kill them, usually incidentally by trapping them in webs.

I can not stress enough how bad stink bugs are for the US; let spiders be so that they can kill these stupid little fucking invaders.

ChrisD

There's some cool facts on spiders. But seeing them in pictures or real life, it doesn't matter how much I know about a species. Shivers down the spine and difficulty staying calm. The eight legs and sharp fuzziness is too much. :(

Interfectum

As much as I have a bizarre fear of spiders I leave all the huge spiders around my house alive. I live in the southeast US and if I didn't have them there would be bugs all over the yard.

Honestly, don't kill spiders around your house. They aren't coming in and they are just as scared of you as you are of them.

Sakura

If I leave spiders in my house, they will just breed and there will be more spiders. And then more and more and more...
Fuck that. And you know what? I don't need spiders. Yeah spiders kill the other bugs in my place, but guess what I can kill the both of them. It's not like spiders are an endangered creature, so my killing them won't really have an impact on the ecosystem. I will not stop. I will kill every single spider that has the nerve to come into my house.

Mupod

I had a pet tarantula when I was younger, it was my older brother's and he gave it to me when he moved out. I was around 12 at the time.

It was pretty docile and I probably could have handled it but I was more worried about hurting or scaring it than being bitten or whatever. Had no idea how I'd go about picking it up, so it's probably for the best that I didn't try. I do remember it molted a few times, and when I was done scaring the shit out of my sisters with the empty exoskeleton I was surprised how soft the fur was. Like a kitten almost. I don't actually know what kind of tarantula it was - it had reddish hair but I don't remember it being irritating like utricating hairs are supposed to.

Was real easy to take care of, even though I had no money to buy stuff for it and my brother only knew the absolute basics of taking care of it. He had a bad habit of getting 'cool' pets without understanding the responsibility - off the top of my head he also briefly had an iguana and piranha. If it hadn't been 1995 I would have just looked up tarantula care on the internet, but shit wasn't as useful back then and I barely had access to it regardless. Plus I was a dumb kid so didn't really think much of looking up proper care, I just took what my brother told me as truth and followed those guidelines. Now that I think about it I'm surprised the tarantula was perfectly healthy the entire time I had it.

Anyways, as a workaround for my budget of zero dollars I used to get the neighbourhood kids to catch me some grasshoppers. As a reward I'd let them watch the spider eat one, and it usually cooperated. Crickets work too but god help you if one of those little shits gets loose in your house. Other than feeding it was just a matter of keeping water in the terrarium and very rarely cleaning it out. Cleaning wasn't hard, just messy since there'd be webs everywhere. For a while I used a sponge in the water dish since that's what I was told to do, and it did seem like the spider would get on top of it and drink. But it got dirty and nasty pretty fast so I took it out of there, never had any issues without it.

But yeah I had it for around 4 years. I kept it on my computer desk, which I guess was my downfall. One day my mom had to use my PC while I was at school and noticed a giant tarantula crawling up the wall to her right, I had to give it away after that. It escaped through a surprisingly tiny hole in the top - the top of the terrarrium didn't quite fit and I covered a part of it with tape. I guess the lamp burned a hole just big enough for the tarantula to fit through it, although it sure didn't look possible. Anyways, I hope it lived a long life at least.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I will never consider spiders cute, awesome or cool. They damn creep me out and it will most likely stay that way for the rest of my life

SpecX

I'm fine and will live with spiders, but I cannot turn a blind eye to black widows wit my kids playing in the yard and them always building their webs near their toys. It is also lights out/game over when they enter my house and nothing but the death of me or the spider will stop my attack.

I have been much kinder to spiders since I have moved into my house. The little silverfish/ thousand legger things are so hated by me, and last summer a pretty good size spider in my basment had a massive one caught and feasted upon it, after that I relized spiders were my bros in hating of those ugly ass thousand leggers.

We've generally come to an understanding with once another. A few smaller ones live around the doorways, windows, and other areas where creepy crawlers and mosquitos might make their way into the house, it's free insect repellent.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't like, actively like spiders, but I appreciate their role and never go out of my way to harm or remove them when I see one in the house.

Anyone who is seriously saying they'd prefer an exponential increase in other, more dangerous/irritating bugs if meant no/less spiders is just being fucking inane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom