• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Remastered looks to be the second biggest launch for PS studios on Steam/PC - God of War still has the crown (at the moment)

BlackTron

Pretty simple. What is a huge reason to buy a specifitc hardware? People buy what their friends have, so a healthy pool of sold Ps5 is great. Sony wants to sell as many PS5 as possible and also the juicy and easy pc money.
We can agree that we disagree, but mark my words: Day1 in let's say 4 years.

In 4 years is semi-okay if all they care about is PS5. But PS6 will be DOA

BlackTron

Series seems to be doing fine with day1 and so would PS6. But we will see, maybe i'm completely wrong and we will never see day1.

Every console made that could run a game got sold. I didn't think I wanted an Xbox, but got one because I wanted 120fps and PC hardware was way too expensive. My first choice would have been a new graphics card. But that whole situation is stabilizing and won't last forever.

So in an environment where hardware is rare and everyone wants to buy something (both due to covid), Xbox sells half as many Series as Playstation, and do it while shedding money to boost Gamepass.

Sony doesn't have the money of Microsoft to BUY market share. They're actually trying to make money on their business. Right now MS is trying to spend money to hurt their competition. "Doing fine".

Wohc

Banned
Every console made that could run a game got sold. I didn't think I wanted an Xbox, but got one because I wanted 120fps and PC hardware was way too expensive. My first choice would have been a new graphics card. But that whole situation is stabilizing and won't last forever.

So in an environment where hardware is rare and everyone wants to buy something (both due to covid), Xbox sells half as many Series as Playstation, and do it while shedding money to boost Gamepass.

Sony doesn't have the money of Microsoft to BUY market share. They're actually trying to make money on their business. Right now MS is trying to spend money to hurt their competition. "Doing fine".
I didn't want to discuss about evil Microsoft trying to take over the world. I think we are done here, have a good one.

BlackTron

I didn't want to discuss about evil Microsoft trying to take over the world. I think we are done here, have a good one.

I get it, you only wanted to suggest that Sony should take a page from Microsoft without it being challenged how much sense it makes.

The fact is that MS was defeated so badly that they turned to giving shit away to build back market share. Why Sony should be looking to them for pointers now I have no idea.

Have a good one.

Goalus

The ones best known for "spending money to hurt their competition" are Sony. With the Bethesda and Activision deals they finally get a taste of their own medicine.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Are you kidding me? After Elden Ring success, Bloodborne would break the records of sony games on steam easily
Nah, I don't think so. Because Elden Ring is something else. It's a game that can attract casual players, unlike other souls games. It's easier(mimic tear, overlevel easily etc.). It has a brighter world(compared to other souls games), which is again a casual friendly atmosphere. It has George R R Martin hype behind it. Maybe Bloodborne can be successful, but it is not possible to reach the number of players mentioned(especially with 60 dollars price tag). Like I said, Elden Ring is something else.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Nah, I don't think so. Because Elden Ring is something else. It's a game that can attract casual players, unlike other souls games. It's easier(mimic tear, overlevel easily etc.). It has a brighter world(compared to other souls games), which is again a casual friendly atmosphere. It has George R R Martin hype behind it. Maybe Bloodborne can be successful, but it is not possible to reach the number of players mentioned(especially with 60 dollars price tag). Like I said, Elden Ring is something else.

Bloodborne on PC would downright break Steam down. It's PC gaming's forbidden fruit. Souls games were already huge on PC by the time Bloodborne was announced. Picture now...

The core Playstation audience doesn't like souls games that much, that is why Bloodborne sold so little. That and the fact that Sony didn't even patch the game for PS4 pro or PS5.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Bloodborne on PC would downright break Steam down
If God Of War couldn't do it, no one can. Especially a souls game released before Elden Ring.
The core Playstation audience doesn't like souls games that much, that is why Bloodborne sold so little.
Neogaf loves Bloodborne so much, that is why Bloodborne sold so little. It's not your typical mainstream casual game. I loved it too but let's face the facts.

If God Of War couldn't do it, no one can. Especially a souls game released before Elden Ring.

Neogaf loves Bloodborne so much, that is why Bloodborne sold so little. It's not your typical mainstream casual game. I loved it too but let's face the facts.
Listen to this man for he speaks the truth. So much love for Bloodborne on forums, twitter, and youtube yet sold like shit compared to other souls.

BlackTron

The ones best known for "spending money to hurt their competition" are Sony. With the Bethesda and Activision deals they finally get a taste of their own medicine.

The point wasn't to highlight one company as more bad or evil than the other.

The point is that saying Sony should have day 1 PC releases because MS does it and is "doing fine" is a poor argument because right now MS is writing the book on how to gain market share while spending money.

I'm pretty sure Sony would prefer to get market share while making money so pointing to MS as some sort of role model is nonsensical.

I'm sure Sony are in the testing the water phase right now with their PC releases.

When their internal research comes out and if it shows that piracy significantly affected the sales numbers, they will implement some kind of anti piracy measure such as Denuvo.
Makes sense that they would test it with older games to figure out if it's worth paying for DRM or not.

The problem is that another solution is to simply invest a lot more into GaaS, something that they already seem set on doing.

Only Sony could be arrogant enough to charge full price for such an old game. Numbers really aren't that impressive and deservedly so.
They aren't impressive numbers like the ones these games had on PlayStation but they seem to be doing pretty well compared to most other AAA third party single player games (at least using this current players close to release metric).

Last edited:
Top Bottom