• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man remaster won't be free even if you own Spider-Man PS4

cormack12

Gold Member
Was The Last of Us Remastered Free for those owning the original on PS3? If I recall correctly it wasn’t, so this is nothing new, and I really don’t get why it’s such a big deal.

It's slightly sifferent as the work to move the engines from PS3 (cell) to PS4 (x86) was actual work. What people are asking for is a recompile to bring the fps cap from 30-60 and upscale resolution.

I don't expect it from Sony, but I think being forced to buy TLOU II and GoT at full retail $70 instead of a $20 patch being available is kind of shitty.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Why? The entitlement over this is strange to see. When did everyone start expecting free shit?

If Spider-man was a PC game, people would be flipping tables if they’d have to pay for a patch that added beter models and a few graphical updates. the PS5 is nothing more than a souped up PS4 and here it should be aok to pay twice for a major game patch? That’s corporate pandering.

If Spider-man was a PC game, people would be flipping tables if they’d have to pay for a patch that added beter models and a few graphical updates. the PS5 is nothing more than a souped up PS4 and here it should be aok to pay twice for a major game patch? That’s corporate pandering.

That's because PC users are cheapskates. If it wasn't for consoles there wouldnt be AAA games on PC.

THEAP99

Banned
What can clear this is up is the difference between a remaster vs the next gen enhancements that CD Red are doing for Witcher 3

Keihart

CDPR it's gonna make every other company look like chumps asking for change as usual. I hope they do very well with Cyberpunk so every other company tries to copy their practices.
I'm just kinda interested in Cyberpunk and i'm still gonna end up buying it day 1 because of how awesome they are, the retail version of W3 at launch had all kind of goodies in the box...Sony used to do the same during the PS3 era.
I'm really disappointed in the new management, i miss Kaz and Shuhei acting like good guys and the goof Kevin Buttler as the clown of turn.

Edit: BTW, yeah, no surprises here either. They have the excuse of the game being ported since it's not a new game.

Last edited:

vypermajik

I mean you could argue it is a 2 year old game, so new time and money was spent on it... but then we have CDPR remastering a 6 year old game and giving a free upgrade...

Arrogant Sony is back. Everyone, be afraid.
If you already played it this isn’t for you. Far too new.

BrentonB

This is like getting mad when Ford puts out next year's model with updated features. You bought the game when it was state-of-the-art. Now there is a new state-of-the-art and significant changes have been made to the game, which cost the developers time and money. They should be paid for the work they put in.

PC remasters are usually just texture packs. This one is adding support for all the new features that the PS5 has including haptic feedback and 3D audio.

Last edited:

Barakov

I don’t recall any remasters this gen being a free upgrade from the previous gen.
Not on console but If you owned games like Darksiders and Borderlands you got the remaster versions for free on PC. Doesn't always happen but it's nice when it does.

If I buy Miles Morales and get the remaster free thats actually a really generous bonus. If you don't buy miles morales can you still play the non upgraded version of spiderman on your ps5?
You have to buy the $70 version to get the remaster. THe original news was that Miles Morales was going to come with the Spiderman Remaster, but now we found out that it is only with the Ultimate Version. Which is their excuse to get you to pay $70 for an expansion pack.

PC remasters are usually just texture packs. This one is adding support for all the new features that the PS5 has including haptic feedback and 3D audio.

PC games add features all the time, haptic feedback? Really? 3c audio? Come on, you guys are reaching here. Look, the updated models are likely already DONE because of the Miles Morales PS5 port, they are backporting them into the original game, and the engine work done is ALREADY done because of Miles Morales. Again, had they at least given people the upgrade only if they bought MM, I could understand, but $20 more is a joke, and a horrible value.

oagboghi2

Wait, I'm confused. Is there a Spiderman remaster that is separate from miles morales?

Or are people talking about Miles Morales, in which case why the fuck would you think that is free?

Kerotan

You have to buy the $70 version to get the remaster. THe original news was that Miles Morales was going to come with the Spiderman Remaster, but now we found out that it is only with the Ultimate Version. Which is their excuse to get you to pay $70 for an expansion pack.

PC games add features all the time, haptic feedback? Really? 3c audio? Come on, you guys are reaching here. Look, the updated models are likely already DONE because of the Miles Morales PS5 port, they are backporting them into the original game, and the engine work done is ALREADY done because of Miles Morales. Again, had they at least given people the upgrade only if they bought MM, I could understand, but $20 more is a joke, and a horrible value.
It's not an expansion pack and it was it ever officially confirmed to be coming previously or just rumours?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Isn't it included in the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition only?
Ya. Spidey Remaster only in the MM $70 Ultimate Edition.

For anyone who only wants the Spidey Remaster, just wait it out.

No different than Activision saying COD4 Remaster only comes with Infinite Warfare, so buy it. Then turns out next year they sold standalone COD4 Remasters.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Oh NOOOO. OHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Sony boo. Anti-Consumer..... bleh bleh bleh....

Guys, this has always been the case. Offering a game update for a new console free of charge has basically, until very recently, NEVER been a thing. Let me reiterate. It's NEVER been a thing. There's nothing wrong with continuing to not give gamers a free console generation upgrade to a currently owned title.

Moreover, both new consoles (Microsoft & Xbox) are backwards compatible with the previous gen's games. So, there is literally no reason to complain. Make NO mistake, those who are offering console gen upgrades are most likely not doing it for you (well, maybe CD Projekt Red cause they're bosses). They are doing it because they don't want to lose holiday sales on people choosing to skip a title because they don't yet have a next gen console but are planning to get one.

Peace out.

Is there something wrong with keeping the prices of games the same?
Or are these changes only okay when they benefit the big corporations?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

There have been plenty of PC games that received significant updates and in almost all of these these were free or there was an upgrade path for owners of the old game for a reasonable price.

The problem here is that there's neither a free nor a paid upgrade for people who bought the PS4 version. This is unacceptable IMO.

kruis

Spiderman came out 2 years ago. People in this thread literally think that they should be able to buy a vanilla PS4 copy for $10 and be entitled to PS5 enhancements for free.

I bought the Special Edition of Spider-Man plus the season pack for the full price. I've got the PS5 preordered and I'm pissed about this.

Codes 208

Not on console but If you owned games like Darksiders and Borderlands you got the remaster versions for free on PC. Doesn't always happen but it's nice when it does.
Consoles =/= PC

for the same reason Sony/MS/Nintendo can get away with charging for online.
(Also not every remaster is free on pc, iirc some games like dark souls have a discount but weren’t completely free for previous owners)

Last edited:

kingwingin

I really don't believe this will be a full on upgrade to spiderman. Its going to be a quick 4k/60 patch just to help move copies of miles morales.

If it was really as much work as they make it seem it would be sold separately to recoup costs

sendit

There have been plenty of PC games that received significant updates and in almost all of these these were free or there was an upgrade path for owners of the old game for a reasonable price.

The problem here is that there's neither a free nor a paid upgrade for people who bought the PS4 version. This is unacceptable IMO.

Can you name these games that have received a significant update for free on the PC?

An HD texture pack is not a significant update.

Last edited:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. MM is 50 GB, UE is 105 GB, so SM Remastered is 55 GB by itself. If there was a lot of asset sharing, SM Remastered should be a lot smaller, IMO.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. MM is 50 GB, UE is 105 GB, so SM Remastered is 55 GB by itself. If there was a lot of asset sharing, SM Remastered should be a lot smaller, IMO.

That's not really how it works. The city between the two is basically going to be the same, basic character models will likely be too. They wouldn't have done the remaster as they did without already having done the bulk of the work for MM. And as they are two different apps it isn't like they can cut out duplicate content.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I mean you could argue it is a 2 year old game, so new time and money was spent on it... but then we have CDPR remastering a 6 year old game and giving a free upgrade...

Arrogant Sony is back. Everyone, be afraid.

Mate - this is a Marvel license. They ain't cheap. Giving it away for free may not have been their decision or financially feasible.

Barakov

Consoles =/= PC

for the same reason Sony/MS/Nintendo can get away with charging for online.
(Also not every remaster is free on pc, iirc some games like dark souls have a discount but weren’t completely free for previous owners)
Yeah, uh, that's basically what I said.....

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I bought the Special Edition of Spider-Man plus the season pack for the full price. I've got the PS5 preordered and I'm pissed about this.

Why does it matter if you bought the special edition years ago? You bought and played that game and you will be able to play it on PS5 BC. You already got your money's worth.

Spider-Man is now in bargain bins at 10$, anyone could get it and then get the full Remastered + DLC for free on PS5. You think that's fair for Insomniac after all the work they did?

Three

If the upgrade is like £10 and is an actual remaster rather than unlocking higher res/fps then sure. If it's just "enhancements" like higher fps/resolution then they can get lost with this bullshit stunt they're pulling.

Codes 208

Yeah, uh, that's basically what I said.....
I know. I was pointing out that pc’s getting different treatment from console goes without saying, it’s an apples to oranges situation regarding ports/remasters mainly due to pc’s gaming platform being one continuous generation therefore remasters are pretty much moot

BlackM1st

Banned
As a PC gamer all this console porting mumbo jumbo makes my head hurt.

Corporations asking you to pay twice for the same game. That's it. On PC it's called "settings menu" lol.

McCarth

I still can't get over how Miles Morales isn't a free pack-in for the PS5 considering it was based off the same engine as the original game. Sony is ridiculous.

Stooky

I still can't get over how Miles Morales isn't a free pack-in for the PS5 considering it was based off the same engine as the original game. Sony is ridiculous.
That’s ridiculous. Many other games would make you pay for this content.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

As a PC gamer all this console porting mumbo jumbo makes my head hurt.

Corporations asking you to pay twice for the same game. That's it. On PC it's called "settings menu" lol.
You are wrong, on PC it is called modding community which is free for the cheap mofos that don't support mod creators. I'm completely fine paying again for spiderman as long as the improvements are as good as they have mentioned, a simple res and framerate upgrade won't cut it though.

Top Bottom