• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "The future is coming" at CES 2020

Aidah

Really hope this isn't accurate, having just twice the power of the PS4 Pro really isn't going to cut it, especially considering most folks use the Pro at 1080p, and by the time next-gen rolls around more of us will be defaulting to 4k which I imagine games will be targetting.

Would 9TF leave enough in the bank for improved shaders and geometry at 4k, over current gen at 1080p?

It would actually be closer to 3 times the real world GPU performance of Pro (about 2 times One X, over six times standard PS4), due to the newer architecture. Plus you got a CPU that is multiple times faster, storage that could be as much as 40 times faster or more, no doubt it will also have more and faster memory, plus some ray tracing hardware, plus some custom work...etc.

It'll be more than enough to provide a vastly improved overall experience compared to any currently available console, even if unfortunately Sony might be leaning more towards budget than Microsoft is.

My disappointment is just that I thought maybe console manufacturers were at a point where they think they can afford to be a bit more premium, but I guess Sony might not agree. Even Microsoft might not totally agree since it's possible that they're going to also release an ultra budget version.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be excited if they showed what we can look forward to with PSVR 2.

yurinka

I bet PS5 will be released in November and showcased in February as they did with PS4, I think PS4 is so successful that they would want to follow the same plan as accuratedly as possible.

So I don't expect to see anything about PS5 at CES. If something, they may show something like the console box and controller and talk about it will play 8K content to take advantage of tvs announced at CES and maybe mention some new high end innovative feature like haptics in the controller or to brag that with PS they are consoles, VR and game subscription/streaming market leaders and that they will push the boundaries of these 3 things with PS5.

I think that they may save more specific things like teraflops, raytracing, price, date, launch games and in-engine (but running on the conole in real time, something that we don't know if it was the case for Hellblade 2) announce trailers for both a full reveal in Febreary and other events like E3 or TGS.

Since they mention creativity on their teaser, I think it's way more likely that if they talk about games they may show Dreams (that is released in February) than PS5 stuff.

Last time they talked about consoles at CES was for the PS3 IIRC.
As I remember last time they talked about consoles at CES was this or last year.

albert penello said while he was still there at MS, the common understanding was PS5 would be around 8 to 9 TF. So they did play it and thats why they said in e3 2018 "most powerful concole ever "for XSX which they went back on in 2019 e3 and said "most powerful xbox".
I wouldn't take very seriously a former Xbox marketing (and fan/fanboy) guy.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
1. This is obviously PS5 and I don't see how anyone could pretend otherwise. Maybe we'll just get launch title teases and new tech discussion but this will be the first big public rollout.

2. Consoles chasing 4k is still an absurdity.

3. This will completely take away any momentum from Xbox Series X and expose how relatively little anyone genuinely cared about it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
1. This is obviously PS5 and I don't see how anyone could pretend otherwise. Maybe we'll just get launch title teases and new tech discussion but this will be the first big public rollout.

2. Consoles chasing 4k is still an absurdity.

3. This will completely take away any momentum from Xbox Series X and expose how relatively little anyone genuinely cared about it.

What's wrong with gaming in 4K?

NeoGiffer

Isn't the future always coming?

giphy.gif

Bolivar687

Banned
What's wrong with gaming in 4K?

In theory, nothing, but I don't think the technology is there yer for mass market consumer products to spend their energy chasing it. Watching the Digital Foundry Modern Warfare videos made me feel like all the shortcuts and tricks to run checkerboard or adaptive resolutions just isn't worth it. I do miss when CoD aimed for a nearly locked framerate at a targeted resolution, with the responsiveness helping both the gameplay and the storytelling. I think you're also going to see it running into issues with the screen tearing they found in the Xbox One X version. On PC, the WQHD high framerate, adaptive sync experience is vastly superior to chasing 4K on a 60Hz panel, let alone dropping the thousands for a high refresh display and the graphics card to chase it.

I get that 4k displays are becoming mainstream and sympathize with people who want to take advantage of them but it's a poor choice of priorities to me.

Banned
I think it would be a mistake to reveal it at CES if they don't make a big PR move within the next few days clearly announcing that they will. because noone watches CES streams without knowing there will be something big there

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hey January 6th? That's my birthday! Nice gift from Sony. Even if they don't show PS5 stuff, I would love to see some more of Godfall and maybe some other games. Please for the love of all that is sexy...no tech demos.

Geki-D

Banned
Hey January 6th? That's my birthday! Nice gift from Sony. Even if they don't show PS5 stuff, I would love to see some more of Godfall and maybe some other games.
You actually reminded me of something; back in the playstationlifestyle interview the Godfall devs said we'd see more of the game in... Spring. ...CES is still in the winter... Hum, not a good sign we'll actually be getting anything, then. Godfall being already announced means we'll surely see more of it when the PS5 itself is announced, if the devs are saying we won't see their game before next spring then I don't have high hopes for CES.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You actually reminded me of something; back in the playstationlifestyle interview the Godfall devs said we'd see more of the game in... Spring. ...CES is still in the winter... Hum, not a good sign we'll actually be getting anything, then. Godfall being already announced means we'll surely see more of it when the PS5 itself is announced, if the devs are saying we won't see their game before next spring then I don't have high hopes for CES.
Ahhh shucks. Well then maybe something completely new. PSVR2? Hmmm...maybe itll just be other games that we never seen. However...it being CES makes me feel like itll be more hardware related.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think it would be a mistake to reveal it at CES if they don't make a big PR move within the next few days clearly announcing that they will. because noone watches CES streams without knowing there will be something big there
The news would permeate all of the media anyway. Perhaps even more so.

I don't want to belittle them, but this isn't like the Xbox. The public really wants to know about the next PlayStation.. especially if they show something impressive, which is usually what they do at console reveals... even if they have to fake stuff.

So they will bring PS5 to CES instead of own PS meeting?
CES does have a lot of eyes on it. But, yea. I would prefer a PS meeting style presentation. Oh wait, don't they do press conferences at CES as well?!?!

But also, this could just be a launch/announcement of their new TVs.

ZehDon

It won’t be anything major. They’ll do a tech reveal similar to Microsoft at the Game Awards, and if we’re lucky, get a date for the full reveal and show case.
Microsoft started the real next gen discussions with their surprise reveal, and right now, Sony doesn’t have a horse in the race. They need people discussing their specs alongside Microsoft’s, or Microsoft will own the mindshare before the PS5 is even revealed.
If they’re behind in specs, they need to rip that band-aid off now.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Does Sony still hate E3 or was that just a Shawn Layden thing? I could see them showing the design at CES with a tech Demo/trailer. Full blowout at E3 and launch Holiday 2020.

Unless they want to get the jump on Series X for some strange reason.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
CES does have a lot of eyes on it. But, yea. I would prefer a PS meeting style presentation. Oh wait, don't they do press conferences at CES as well?!?!

But also, this could just be a launch/announcement of their new TVs.

They do.

Watch Our CES 2020 Press Conference Live
Come back here at 17:00 PST on January 6, 2020 to see the Sony CES 2020 Press Conference live, or watch it after the event.

Handel

cdc.jpg

You ain't got clue what you're going on about.
The PS2 was the most powerful games console when it released
And it was marketed that way too
Nothing on the market could touch it's raw power
putting two consoles that released a year or two later and going look it's the weakest is dumb.
And it killed both those consoles and next gen consoles when came to bandwidth
And the machine was designed in 1998.
On top of that the PS2 had already dominated by time the GCN and Xbox arrived
This is a dumb, overly long response to try contesting the facts of the matter. PS2 was weaker than GCN and Xbox, because Sony rushed it to market to beat the competition resulting in a weaker system with a cheap build. The strategy worked, don't have to create fanboy delusions two generations later to defend Sony's business decisions.

Imtjnotu

Afaik the microLED aren't ready yet. Samsung still has production issues. Sony is most likely behind Samsung since they have deeper pockets.
Sony made the better micro led last year. Micro led can't become main stream until theubshrink the led's even more.

4k currently requires 220 inches

Last edited:
Top Bottom