• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "The future is coming" at CES 2020

I love your optimism.

He CameFromNearFuture CameFromNearFuture , he need not speculate.

I Heard Sony might indeed show PS5 related stuff at CES.

Theres no better demonstration of the 8k technology than a game running on PS5. Sony is very proud of their top of the line tv and a ps5 that the whole world is hyped up to see Will really give them highlight more than other's tvs brands.

VR is also Very futuristic, so is the New features (zero loading times for ex) thanks to SSD

Some dev already said that their particulsr SSD is ahead of anything avaliable in the market right now.

- 8k ps5 game
- psvr2
- SSD

They have good reasons to show some ps5 related stuff. That was not the case with PS4.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well, that's a sign something may actually do down there.

Yeah... it is odd having Cory B. down there, but it would be nice to use CES to dole out another bit of concrete PS5 info (you can still have a full blowout in a dedicated event later) so that PlayStation helps to carry the rest of the company too, it helps drive attention and interest in the whole of Sony at CES giving everything more visibility.

lol i understood the back handed compliment :messenger_tears_of_joy:

if it is higher than 9.2 then sony realy played 4d chess with MS . sending them down the rabit hole of 9.2 to comeback with the more powerful PS5. interesting times ahead
Thats a VERY big IF my friend. Otherwise,going to be a long gen of XSX winning every DF head to head. Brings back the Xbox 360 feels. Except now, Xbox has significantly better 1st party and the cheaper Lockhart sku. Interesting times indeed.

NeoGiffer

9.2 sory 9.16 teraflop incoming.
$399 and no games.
The future is here.

giphy.gif

mkacc

Theres no better demonstration of the 8k technology than a game running on PS5. Sony is very proud of their top of the line tv and a ps5 that the whole world is hyped up to see Will really give them highlight more than other's tvs brands.

VR is also Very futuristic, so is the New features (zero loading times for ex) thanks to SSD

Some dev already said that their particulsr SSD is ahead of anything avaliable in the market right now.

- 8k ps5 game
- psvr2
- SSD

They have good reasons to show some ps5 related stuff. That was not the case with PS4.

Is this "inside" information?

DanielsM

Banned
Thats a VERY big IF my friend. Otherwise,going to be a long gen of XSX winning every DF head to head. Brings back the Xbox 360 feels. Except now, Xbox has significantly better 1st party and the cheaper Lockhart sku. Interesting times indeed.

Microsoft has said there are no gens, furthermore they said console sales really don't matter. People generally don't jump back and forth between eco-systems, unless Sony messes it up its hard to imagine people moving away from the PS platform in mass without something else in the mix. Microsoft has had "the most powerful console" for a very long time - sales went down. Most of the 1st party devs they acquired were already either producing Xbox games, or are of AA/indie type developers, either way they most likely will be on PC as well... of course I have no idea how people can put up with the Microsoft Store.

Sales in their hardware continue to go down at a steady rate. The console warz have been over for quite some time. Gaming within Microsoft will have to shrink, generally speaking as revenue goes down drastically and obtain some type of profit margin(?) to compete with the other traditional publishers/developers.

Its not very interesting at all.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
albert penello said while he was still there at MS, the common understanding was PS5 would be around 8 to 9 TF. So they did play it and thats why they said in e3 2018 "most powerful concole ever "for XSX which they went back on in 2019 e3 and said "most powerful xbox".

why are you lying? MS NEVER said that they have the most powerful console ever, only the most powerful console they created, which is - of course - 100% true.

Shantae

Banned
If Sony's future continues to involve censoring games beyond what is perfectly okay with the ESRB, which is in place for a reason, I have no desire to be a part of Sony's future. I put up with PS4 because I already own one, but I ain't gonna support them if they don't stop being prejudice against Japanese games. They purposely censor Japanese games that have too much ass or titty in them, whereas they're fine with western devs doing it.

in the grand scheme of things DF video doesnt matter as they get around 20k views. but it matter to us hardcore gamers. lets see if "lucky" sony can yet again get away being "lucky"

Last edited:
why are you lying? MS NEVER said that they have the most powerful console ever, only the most powerful console they created, which is - of course - 100% true.
listen to e3 2018 where phil said we will "yet again like 1x set the bar for performance in console history" however that changed in e3 2019.

anyways its a mute point right now.

SleepDoctor

Banned

- 8k ps5 game
- psvr2
- SSD

Cool story fake insider

Edit: how about a mod verifies or bans this guy. There should be consequences to claiming to be an insider when you're not. Already have enough nobodies claiming "inside information".

Last edited:
in the grand scheme of things DF video doesnt matter as they get around 20k views. but it matter to us hardcore gamers. lets see if "lucky" sony can yet again get away being "lucky".
Sony are obviously bumbling fools according to these guys.

However DF has some influence way beyond who sees their videos, they are part of the industry's PR circle, "hardcore' gamers look at this and see what console is more powerful, and will ultimately use that information as a datapoint to decide what console they get next (ex.: if a console runs Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k 60fps with a couple more effects than the other and this is the game most care about this will ultimately drive console sales). Purchase recommendations are made out of their comparison analysis too, if you get the next xbox you are likely to recommend your friends and family do the same because it performs better and it lets you play the latest games better.

Obviously exclusive content is part of the equation as well, if MS doesn't get their studios to create truly great and relevant games this time around all the hardware benefits won't be much help -- also note that MS has been able to provide exceptional trailers all throughout the generation, so GoAT trailers aren't good enough, they need to ship games that meet expectations of greatness on a consistent basis.

On the point of hardware power, we still have sources telling us that the PS5 performs better, so we clearly just don't know who will come out on top.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If Sony's future continues to involve censoring games beyond what is perfectly okay with the ESRB, which is in place for a reason, I have no desire to be a part of Sony's future. I put up with PS4 because I already own one, but I ain't gonna support them if they don't stop being prejudice against Japanese games. They purposely censor Japanese games that have too much ass or titty in them, whereas they're fine with western devs doing it.

Good. But be assured that there's only 20 other people on Earth that feel this way lol.

Shantae

Banned
Good. But be assured that there's only 20 other people on Earth that feel this way lol.
You say that as if you're right, but you're not. Just look at the channel censored gaming, and the number of views a video of theirs gets shows that it's not "only 20". It may not be a big number, but it's pretty much the audience for that genre of game. Sony doesn't want my money? Well fuck em. Let them keep their gambling machines, while thinking some anime tits are too offensive.

And you know, I'm not here trying to rally a movement, I'm saying fuck sony and their censorship because it's what I feel. You can either ignore what I'm saying, or be a Sony shill and try to mock me for my stance.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It'll be a big push for 360 Reality Audio and their new Flagship 5G Xperia
Nothing PlayStation related

Elios83

Yeah the future of their TV lineup :D

Btw everything is possible, considering what happened with the articles on the verge and MS unveiling their design at TGA even before they announce the full specs.
But I don't think that it will be a full presentation, just a few more details in the best case.

Microsoft has said there are no gens, furthermore they said console sales really don't matter. People generally don't jump back and forth between eco-systems, unless Sony messes it up its hard to imagine people moving away from the PS platform in mass without something else in the mix. Microsoft has had "the most powerful console" for a very long time - sales went down. Most of the 1st party devs they acquired were already either producing Xbox games, or are of AA/indie type developers, either way they most likely will be on PC as well... of course I have no idea how people can put up with the Microsoft Store.

Sales in their hardware continue to go down at a steady rate. The console warz have been over for quite some time. Gaming within Microsoft will have to shrink, generally speaking as revenue goes down drastically and obtain some type of profit margin(?) to compete with the other traditional publishers/developers.

Its not very interesting at all.
Bullocks. Power matters. Having the majority of best looking games matter. Ever heard of resolutiongate that plagued XB1? Its why so many people are heavily invested in the specs of these machine.
With regards to "switching ecosystems". I see no evidence that supports next gen Xbox not being able to recapture lost/new marketshare,especially given that MS has addressed most,if not all the mistakes of the past. Furthermore, we have history to back this up. MS bounced back from OG Xbox with Xbox 360.Sony turned around the mistakes of PS3 with PS4. Nintendo bounced back from Gamecube with the Wii. Nintendo also bounced back from the WiiU with the Switch.
The next gen Xbox Series X,Series S etc.. use navi gpus,zen cpus,gddr 6 ram,ssd etc...its clearly a new gen as XB1/XB1X will not be able to keep up. The "no gen" stuff is PR fluff. I get that MS is more focused on ecosystem (xbox,windows,xcloud,gamepass etc)than hardware alone. Makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah the future of their TV lineup :D

Btw everything is possible, considering what happened with the articles on the verge and MS unveiling their design at TGA even before they announce the full specs.
But I don't think that it will be a full presentation, just a few more details in the best case.
I mean their OLED line is pretty nice...I wouldn't mind having one lol.

DanielsM

Banned
Bullocks. Power matters. Having the majority of best looking games matter. Ever heard of resolutiongate that plagued XB1? Its why so many people are heavily invested in the specs of these machine.
With regards to "switching ecosystems". I see no evidence that supports next gen Xbox not being able to recapture lost/new marketshare,especially given that MS has addressed most,if not all the mistakes of the past. Furthermore, we have history to back this up. MS bounced back from OG Xbox with Xbox 360.Sony turned around the mistakes of PS3 with PS4. Nintendo bounced back from Gamecube with the Wii. Nintendo also bounced back from the WiiU with the Switch.
The next gen Xbox Series X,Series S etc.. use navi gpus,zen cpus,gddr 6 ram,ssd etc...its clearly a new gen as XB1/XB1X will not be able to keep up. The "no gen" stuff is PR fluff. I get that MS is more focused on ecosystem (xbox,windows,xcloud,games etc)than hardware alone. Makes perfect sense.

I never said power doesn't matter, its just not the only factor. MS already has the most powerful console, sales are now the worst in 18 years for Xbox. Furthermore, to play MS games you can upgrade a PC anytime you want.

I see no evidence that supports next gen Xbox not being able to recapture lost/new marketshare

You can't have evidence, what you are doing is speculating about the future, how can there be evidence of something that hasn't happen? Xbox sales continue to go down at a very good rate and have been for around 10 years, sales were never great, even during the Xbox 360 days they were just kind of mehh, the extended cycle made it out better than really was... basically two years of actually okay sales. Generally, people are not going to switch back and forth between eco-systems and hardware, unless someone messes up... which is why Nadella finally bailed on Windows Phone. The console warz are over, just like the phone warz are over.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Then it’s a good thing LG already released your magic TV back in May 2019 and can currently be bought for a song.
Maybe he prefers Sony's better motion handling for movies and maybe the newer OLEDS will finally have 120 Hz BFI for even better motion at high fps.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Dont troll. Just dont post in these kinds of threads.
Appologize to me. If you would see all my posts you would know where i stand and you would know it was a refference to the other thread where they go off about the 9.2 tflop.
Also just found out they make an all female version of fight club so i am super pissed and i tell you i am not in a good mood.

Appologize

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You say that as if you're right, but you're not. Just look at the channel censored gaming, and the number of views a video of theirs gets shows that it's not "only 20". It may not be a big number, but it's pretty much the audience for that genre of game. Sony doesn't want my money? Well fuck em. Let them keep their gambling machines, while thinking some anime tits are too offensive.

And you know, I'm not here trying to rally a movement, I'm saying fuck sony and their censorship because it's what I feel. You can either ignore what I'm saying, or be a Sony shill and try to mock me for my stance.

I'd rather mock. Sorry. I understand why you care about the censoring. But to act as if Sony is treating gamers like Saudia Arabia treats their women is insane to me.

Could you tell me which of these was the weaker platform and which sold the most?:
WXEW4uB.jpg

(Hint: The answer to both is one and the same)

Wrong. Any shitty old PC will do, just get Gamepass/Xcloud.

The Dreamcast was the weakest in that picture, the PS2 sold the most. You're telling me the PS2 and Dreacast are one and the same?

pr0cs

I'd like to see them at least announce the box form factor and maybe some basic specs.
In reality it will likely be some over priced tv or home theatre equipment

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Could you tell me which of these was the weaker platform and which sold the most?:
WXEW4uB.jpg
WXEW4uB.jpg

(Hint: The answer to both is one and the same)
cdc.jpg

You ain't got clue what you're going on about.
The PS2 was the most powerful games console when it released
And it was marketed that way too
Nothing on the market could touch it's raw power
putting two consoles that released a year or two later and going look it's the weakest is dumb.
And it killed both those consoles and next gen consoles when came to bandwidth
And the machine was designed in 1998.
On top of that the PS2 had already dominated by time the GCN and Xbox arrived

Last edited:

McCheese

Really hope this isn't accurate, having just twice the power of the PS4 Pro really isn't going to cut it, especially considering most folks use the Pro at 1080p, and by the time next-gen rolls around more of us will be defaulting to 4k which I imagine games will be targetting.

Would 9TF leave enough in the bank for improved shaders and geometry at 4k, over current gen at 1080p?

Top Bottom