• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony set to buy Square Enix

Melchiah

You are right. They just kill all under-performing (in their eyes) studios like Evolution, Studio Liverpool, Ready at Dawn, Sony Japan...

Ready at Dawn is still going under Oculus Studios, and what killed Evolution and Liverpool was that their arcade racers didn't sell enough. You might have noticed, that there aren't (m)any AAA arcade racers of their kind around. In Evolution's case, the 2011 PSN outage also had an effect, since MotorStorm Apocalypse was released around that time.

Woopah

Project Triangle Strategy becoming a PS5 exclusive would be a wild turn of events.
I'd imagine the Switch exclusive games would stay Switch exclusive (at least the ones which are currently in development). Similarly to how the Bethesda games that Sony made deals for are still PS5 exclusives.

I have 67 friends on Playstation and not a single one of them plays Final Fantasy. I know because I just checked. Sony would be mental to want to buy Square Enix when they should be investing more in the likes of Naughty Dog who know how to make a game everybody wants to play.
I have zero ps friend and more than 20 Square Enix games. And i can't get enough.

Orta

Banned
I have 67 friends on Playstation and not a single one of them plays Final Fantasy. I know because I just checked. Sony would be mental to want to buy Square Enix when they should be investing more in the likes of Naughty Dog who know how to make a game everybody wants to play.

erew.jpg

wipeout364

I don’t really see why this would be a great purchase for Sony. I doubt there is a threat of Microsoft buying them and the games produced by square enix are either always coming to Sony first or exclusive. There are some great IP in there but they have continually underperformed despite high production values. People that are big square fans are already invested in PlayStation.

Just seems like a waste of time and money better utilized in other places.

Square has western ip too.

RGB'D

Man that Tech Noir gets his crap right huh? Or maybe we shouldn't ever listen to news that come from console warriors on Twitter.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
In terms of games.... I'd be most excited for Final Fantasy, Deus Ex and a Legacy of Kain reboot under Amy Hennig and an expanded Nier lineup.

Dragon Quest and Builders would reach more people too if it was marketed properly.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I take it this would include their playarts division too?

Last edited:

Mmnow

I don’t really see why this would be a great purchase for Sony. I doubt there is a threat of Microsoft buying them and the games produced by square enix are either always coming to Sony first or exclusive. There are some great IP in there but they have continually underperformed despite high production values. People that are big square fans are already invested in PlayStation.

Just seems like a waste of time and money better utilized in other places.
The only reason would be to make sure they keep coming to PlayStation.

It's an utter waste of money for Sony... Until someone else comes along and buys them up.

MiguelItUp

Really, at this point don't believe any of these "x buy x" rumors. The past few months we've seen SO many and nothing has happened, lmao. Even with the ones that had "guarantees" lmao.

FUBARx89

dude wants to sit in his mother basements and pour gallons of milk on their weebo waifus that look no older than 14 years old, yea it's sony thats the one with the problem....:S lol

I dunno, it's wierd.

You get the "b b b but nintendo didn't censor it!"

Personally the only major censorship I can think of is TLOU MP in the EU regions due to Germany.

Termite

The only reason Sony would ever buy Square Enix would be to prevent Microsoft from getting them. As long as they haven't heard those kinds of rumors, it won't happen.

Why would it? They're guaranteed to get all those SE games anyway, but the games aren't console sellers to the point of being worth what the company would cost.

PS5 wouldn't sell significantly more consoles with exclusive FF, DQ and Tomb Raider than with multi-plats of those games. Sony already has the stable of exclusives it needs to compete in the markets it's interested in. It's already firing on all cylinders.

However, losing those games to Microsoft, when MS already have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Halo, Forza etc... that's when suddenly the tide could start to turn against them in that competition. So a pre-emptive move might make sense. Otherwise, I can't see it. But frankly, I don't think Microsoft are stupid enough to try and run a famously difficult set of Japanese studios from the US.

b6a6es

Banned
Imagine the current woke ass Sony getting a very much Japanese company SE.

Developers might as well start migrating soon if that happens, which is impossible lmao.
Sony corp is a Japanese company, the western part is SIE

Oh and those *Woke Gaijins* made more money than the entire previous PS Japanese legacy combined

MagnesG

Banned
dude wants to sit in his mother basements and pour gallons of milk on their weebo waifus that look no older than 14 years old, yea it's sony thats the one with the problem....:S lol
Oh retard. They reach out their hand much more than what cero pegi ersb had guidelined, to the point of games being gated and cancelled ultimately when the ratings had already been passed.
Sony owns Fate Grand Order btw, the ultimate gacha waifu weebs simulator. Fucking hypocrites.

Oh and those *Woke Gaijins* made more money than the entire previous PS Japanese legacy combined
lol then maybe SE studios will close off soon when they underperforms, presumably if Sony bought them. Migration would happen one way or another.

Top Bottom