• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony set to buy Square Enix

Not that I believe the rumor, but Square probably is the one Japanese company that Sony wouldn't have to pay a premium for since their games really don't do well on the Xbox anyway.

Capcom and others tend to sell decently on Xbox on a relative basis, but Square is overwhelmingly Sony already.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Any foughts?
chappelle show lol GIF

Even if it aint true to get games on all consoles i suspect a merger stops the company from getting brought out and on the plus side games can still be on all platforms. Thou sony could gwt some exclusive games or exclusive DLC

Tbh capcom would be a wish choice for sony. Dead rising, monster hunter, resident evil, DMC would be funny if sony paid shit tons for a merger of EA

Boss Man

I’m probably dumb for wanting this, but I think it would be cool for Playstation and Xbox to each have so many great exclusive IPs that it’s obvious to want both. Playstation probably already does but names like Square and Bethesda are pretty game changing even when you consider stuff like Uncharted.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I dont understand and will never understand the obsession some people have for these buyouts. I mean sony buying square or any studio for that matter doesn't guarantee a successful business move. They have closed studios before because they were unsustainable.

I’m probably dumb for wanting this, but I think it would be cool for Playstation and Xbox to each have so many great exclusives that it’s obvious to want both. Playstation probably already does but names like Square and Bethesda are pretty game changing even when you consider stuff like Uncharted.
Nothing gets me wet like owning multiple DVD players to watch different dvds. Give them plastic boxes all over my naked body. What's that daddy, you want me to subscribe to even more services!? Mm yeah, harder daddy harder. Make me the ULTIMATE CONSOOMMMEERRR.
Split my content and ram your exclusives into all my slotty disc drives.

Last edited:
Setting aside the fact that there are suitors who have far deeper pockets (and a willingness to up the ante), a 24-month timeline is a strange number to land on if the deal is still in negotiation and would be even more strange to say it's going to take two years to integrate into PSS with agreed upon terms.

I don't believe it. If anything, it seems it would be planted to try and drum up discussion or signal to other suitors that S-E is in play.

Last edited:
How much would freaking SquareEnix cost? There's no chance.

It's not how Sony operates. Sony buys struggling developers and turns them into powerhouses.

Remember Naughty Dog before the PlayStation?

wayofthewarrior.jpg

It's basically the reverse of what companies like EA or Microsoft do.

Last edited:

Damigos

dont think so as they would be too expensive.
Bandai Namco or Capcom or Sega or even Konami (hell yeah) would be more realistic

ToadMan

Japan : FF12 pulled from Gamepass one day after it was added

Bit more pot stirring.

Personally I’m not convinced about SE and Sony. It’s not really Sony’s way to acquire a company as an outright purchase, they seem to work with studios for a while and establish a close relationship first.

But I suppose there could be a deal too good to miss or maybe it’s another Epic situation - Sony just acquire a percentage but not enough to take control.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Not that I believe the rumor, but Square probably is the one Japanese company that Sony wouldn't have to pay a premium for since their games really don't do well on the Xbox anyway.

Capcom and others tend to sell decently on Xbox on a relative basis, but Square is overwhelmingly Sony already.
Yeah, they are going to sell themselves at bargain bin prices because they have already made money from Sony ?? lol

Mr Hyde

Wouldn't make a difference really. Square Enix is basically second party. Final Fantasy is pretty much exclusive to Playstation nowadays and it's where the majority of their fanbase resides. Tomb Raider is also a franchise that is heavily associated with Playstation. Might as well put a ring on the finger.

Last edited:

fermcr

So, Apple will buy Take2 next week.
... and Google buys EA.

What about Ubisoft? Probably Amazon will purchase them.

Last edited:
If true (unlikely), are we going to have gamig scene with 5 or 6 giant gaming overlord developers and smaller studios / indies? I mean Sony, MS and few others just keep this buyout policy.

ToadMan

$9 billion or whatever their market cap is at right now

They could easily afford it if they wanted

Right now the Enterprise Value of SE is $6bn - that’s the number any potential purchaser would start with.

SE is publicly traded so they’d have to convince their shareholders it’s a good deal and work out how a share value priced to make the deal attractive and get approval for Sony to buy them up (or convert to sony shares).

I’d expect a 20% or so share price hike to make the acquisition worthwhile and put off any other bidders.

And if the rumour is true the SE share price will jump by a decent chunk as speculators buy in.

Juts took a look - the share price is up following their earnings report but it’s only where it was last August right now.

Iced Arcade

Would be pricy but a good fit.

Can honestly say I'd only miss tomb raider not coming to xbox (and maybe deus ex) even though I'll eventually get a PS5 anyway

Top Bottom