• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Says: "Nothing to Announce at the Moment" on Backward Compatibility for PSVR2

CamHostage

All the cameras, sensors, etc. are also present for BC to work.

Unfortunately, that is not necessarily the case. PS VR2 will not include lightpoints on the headset or controllers, and it will not be oriented around a camera mounted outside of the body. One's outside-in tracking, one's inside-out tracking.

This is all that PSVR for PS4 knows:

dmuREqh.jpg

PSVR for PS4 is a rather basic "outside-in" implementation of tracking bodies in motion through visual information. It sees the light points on the headset and the two differently-colored lightbulbs in your hands, and that's it. With that visual data, it determines, via changes per frame, where you are and how fast you've moved and in what direction in space. So, this lightbulb was here 1/60th of a second ago, now it's shifted slightly this way and moved this many pixels over and is this much bigger than it was before, so it must have moved this way and that way and this fast in between; this other lightbulb on the side used to be fully visible but now it's partially blocked so rotation must also be involved. Calibrate and calculate that between 9 different lights on the headset and the two colored bulbs (PS Move also has the benefit of also having additional built-in motion sensors for fine-detail movement data,) and the system can assume "motion" to orientate what's displayed in the headset.

PS VR2 for PS5 on the other hand uses two different types of motion detection. One is more of what we think of as "motion-sensors", where the thing being moved senses the motion through three-axis gyroscope and three-axis accelerometer sensors. These sensors can tell roll and pitch and yaw and acceleration/deceleration. The other is "inside-out" cameras (the IR Proximity Sensor) that look outside and understands the orientation of the body based on what it sees in the room outside of you.

Now, it's not to say that the Sony couldn't find a way to translate the PS5's various motion-sensors data into the PS4's understanding of motion (the PS5 would be generating a lot more motion data than PS4 ever could,) but they're fundamentally different. One is based on a stationary, external camera placed several feet away watching a 2D video feed to transcribe differences between frames into movement across multiple dimensions so that it can create what the headset displays and how the game understands collision/action; the other is a head-mounted IR camera detecting motions of the body and distance changes between landmarks in the room to directly orient the view and controls with 6DoF. The sensors for PSVR never "move"; the PS VR2 sensors are always moving.

Ultimately, the game is just looking for the data, and the camera feed I believe gets processed by the central system before the game gets to touch it. If so, the game would get the positioning and speed and pitch/yaw/roll numbers from the console, and Sony's task would be to create a translation system for understanding how PS5 VR2 motion data would correlate with what the PS4 VR games would be expecting.

(Mccrocket is saying Rift overcame this hurdle previously, between the old CV1 and the more modern sensor style of Rift S. I'm not finding information on how they did that, nor info on what percentage of original Oculus games actually received a patch versus are "cheated" into compatibility through assumptions of congruent data, and how much difference there would be. CV1 meanwhile is still compatible with current Rift games, and the SDK is designed to account for both types of sensor input; however, it's also tested and tweaked by developers on various headsets, and is part of the initial deploy of the software, which isn't the same as just "making compatibility" between PSVR and PSVR2. Also, although the translation mathematics are probably down to a fair science by now and shared on developer forums, it's still a big headache for good game developers to test and configure their games for various headsets on the market.)

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
If it is not negative to me then it is already not to EVERYONE lol
There is no spin in gamers not giving a shit to BC.

You buy a device to play new games.
The act to buy a $400 device to play OLD games is already a negative in my book.... that device was born to fail.

PS4 didn't have BC. Was that negative?
Switch didn't have BC. Was that negative?
PS3 had BC. Was that positive?
PS5 has BC. Was that positive?
So you prefer PSVR2 not have BC? WTF am I reading? It's pure nonsense. It really sounds like you're doing some preemptive damage control. There is no other reason I can think of for someone to say it's a negative to have BC in the PSVR2. It's a huge plus. Again, huge cost of entry. And all those games you bought for PSVR are useless for PSVR2? That's awful. Let's not forget all those games included in PS Plus. All worthless on PSVR2. At least those PS4 games on PS Plus work on PS5! It's a huge negative if BC isn't there day one, especially given the cost of entry. Otherwise why not just buy the Oculus Quest 2? All games on prior devices work.

Notabueno

Banned
I'll never understand fanboys being stupid losers to the point of arguing against not only their own interests but also in fact the interest of the company they supposedly support.

Romulus

Goddamn hitman 3 will be a serious goty candidate in VR with better controls. Glad its coming to pcvr but the psvr version was damn good considering the limitations. Not really a fan of hitman without vr. Its average.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just want RE 7 and 4 to work on PSVR2. If that's through BC or developed for the new headset I don't care. They'll have my money as long as those two games happen.

I skipped PSVR1 hoping this is the case.

RE4 VR isn't on PSVR at all though, right? Pretty sure it's Quest exclusive.

ethomaz

Banned
So you prefer PSVR2 not have BC? WTF am I reading? It's pure nonsense. It really sounds like you're doing some preemptive damage control. There is no other reason I can think of for someone to say it's a negative to have BC in the PSVR2. It's a huge plus. Again, huge cost of entry. And all those games you bought for PSVR are useless for PSVR2? That's awful. Let's not forget all those games included in PS Plus. All worthless on PSVR2. At least those PS4 games on PS Plus work on PS5! It's a huge negative if BC isn't there day one, especially given the cost of entry. Otherwise why not just buy the Oculus Quest 2? All games on prior devices work.
Yes. I prefer no BC.
Even PS5 doesn’t need BC at all.

Quest 2 doesn’t work on PS5 so what the point to buy it over PSVR2? If you are looking for PSVR2 you obvious are into PS5 ecosystem… it is not a matter of choice or which you think is better or not.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Yes. I prefer no BC.
Even PS5 doesn’t need BC at all.

Quest 2 doesn’t work on PS5 so what the point to buy it over PSVR2? If you are looking for PSVR2 you obvious are into PS5 ecosystem… it is not a matter of choice or which you think is better or not.
Why would people buy a Quest 2 over a PSVR2? Really? Is that a legitimate question?

1. It has more support (it will far outsell PSVR2 and will garner a ton more support from devs)
2. Much lower cost of entry (PSVR2 will cost you over $1000 between the device, PS5, and a single game; Quest 2 does not require a PC and has BC capabilities)

Hilarious that you would prefer it not to have BC. This has got to be preemptive damage control. Like wow!

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The only thing i wanted from psvr was better resolution and good comtrols. Psvr2 is lot better than I expected
Yes, the 110 FOV and resolution should be perfect. Now we need a price but I would assume something above the price of the quest 2.

Oh yeah... and a PS5. No PS5, no PSVR2 right :messenger_expressionless:

Beechos

Lets not kid ourselves despite the difference in hardware and technology people really think sony would put some effort in bc. Whats the excuse with their legacy systems?

ethomaz

Banned
Why would people buy a Quest 2 over a PSVR2? Really? Is that a legitimate question?

1. It has more support (it will far outsell PSVR2 and will garner a ton more support from devs)
2. Much lower cost of entry (PSVR2 will cost you over $1000 between the device, PS5, and a single game; Quest 2 does not require a PC and has BC capabilities)

Hilarious that you would prefer it not to have BC. This has got to be preemptive damage control. Like wow!
You said that dumb claim lol.
And your reply is a joke? Quest doesn’t work on PS5… c’mon.

You don’t have to choose between Quest 2 and PSVR2… if you are into PS5 ecosystem you will buy PSVR2… Quest 2 is not even an option.

BC is useless for the success of PSVR2 because people wants new games not play old games.

Most people buys new devices for new games… these that buys for BC are very very niche.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
and the camera feed I believe gets processed by the central system before the game gets to touch it.
Correct.
SDK returns Position(and velocity) data at specific time-stamp to the application, to be specific. There's no interaction with the sensors (which involve many more data-points than just camera feed).

If so, the game would get the positioning and speed and pitch/yaw/roll numbers from the console, and Sony's task would be to create a translation system for understanding how PS5 VR2 motion data would correlate with what the PS4 VR games would be expecting.
What would need 'translating'? PSVR2 SDK (like every other VR SDK) is still using temporal/spatial coordinates (meters and seconds or some fractional unit version of thereof). If they changed the units for any reason in their public-interface, that's just scaling by some constant value for BC purposes.
The compatibility isn't free - they need to provide a backwards compatible ABI for PSVR2 SDK, but that would still be needed even if they used the exact same tracking solution as PSVR.

Open questions in tracking are just a topic of peripheral support.
DS4 tracking in games needs to be replaced, so they would need DualSense tracking support. I expect this will be offered natively to PSVR2 titles also, but it's nonetheless 'additional work' if you think of new device as just HMD+Motion controllers.
Move/Aim controllers are more optional - but given Sony's exceptional track-record of supporting peripherals, I actually expect they'll add tracking support to PSVR2 for those as well (both would get improved tracking as result of this too).

The potential sources of issues (depending on how you define 'issue') are unrelated to tracking.
Eg:
- Most PSVR games optimize for lens-distortion profile of the VR headset. These values are provided by VR SDK, so well behaved applications could in fact get a higher-resolution output on the new hw for 'free' (without any patching needed). That said - some applications aren't as 'well behaved' - there's a possibility of low-level hackery with optimizing GPU workloads that could run into visual bugs. This is where a 'translation' could come into play, where new SDK could simply feed the application legacy PSVR data, and internally translate it to the new display/lens to guarantee compatibility.
Chances are, BC would offer different compatibility profiles here - where some games automatically get 'enhanced' visuals while others would run in compatibility mode retaining original quality (unless they get patched that is).
- Another subject is calibration screens. A few games show 'camera view' during calibration. The data is purely visual and not used for anything other than giving reference to the user, but without a camera in new system, the calibration screen would no longer have anything to show. Chances are most games will work perfectly fine just skipping this - but the user-experience will feel a bit rougher without patching this. The subset of games impacted here is relatively small - but still, worth noting.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lets not kid ourselves despite the difference in hardware and technology people really think sony would put some effort in bc.
The compatibility work here is less/simpler than PS4->PS5.
And a lot of it is done already (PSVR titles run on PS5 today). I agree the question is one of motivation, but VR being what it is, there's good economic reasons to maintain BC.

SLB1904

Banned
The compatibility work here is less/simpler than PS4->PS5.
And a lot of it is done already (PSVR titles run on PS5 today). I agree the question is one of motivation, but VR being what it is, there's good economic reasons to maintain BC.
technically every game is already backward compatible. the question is will tehy work with the psvr2 control schemes

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Now, it's not to say that the Sony couldn't find a way to translate the PS5's various motion-sensors data into the PS4's understanding of motion (the PS5 would be generating a lot more motion data than PS4 ever could,) but they're fundamentally different.

It doesn't matter. PSVR1's system translates to controller+head position, displacement and rotation. PSVR2's system has the same output regardless of its internal processing and variables. Those vectors are transparent to the game itself.

Loxus

The leak that got all the specs right… that was what the poster I quoted was talking about.

He said he was not sure about BC but that seems to have plans for PSVR game remaster for PSVR2.
Remastered games seems obvious, you get increase graphical fidelity.

No mention of BC doesn't mean it isn't backwards compatible.

I thought you meant a leak that explicitly say 'no backwards compatibility'.

KAL2006

Banned
Tracking methods can easily be translated so that definitely wouldn't stop it being backwards compatible.

I personally think it will be backwards compatible, but Sony will remaster some of the back catalogue of VR games and charge if people want to play in higher fidelity, resolution, framerate. Perhaps have a £10 upgrade fee for current owners of remasters.

Last edited:

Beechos

Hardware?
I think earlier some people mentioned because of the difference in hardware/technology specifically the camera tracking between the psvr and psvr 2 is the reason for no bc. While i agree that would make things alot harder but given sonys lack of bc for their legacy systems even if they were the same i dont have much confidence sony would do it. Its a shame since there are some really good vr games/experiences on the psvr. Vr needs all the games it can get, currently theres too many cell phone type shovelware/junk. Hopefully sony figures out a way to get it done. Astrobot vr is prob one of the best games of all time that no one played. Now that sony is porting to pc hopefully theyll make that avail to a wider audience also.

SLB1904

Banned
I think earlier some people mentioned because of the difference in hardware/technology specifically the camera tracking between the psvr and psvr 2 is the reason for no bc. While i agree that would make things alot harder but given sonys lack of bc for their legacy systems even if they were the same i dont have much confidence sony would do it. Its a shame since there are some really good vr games/experiences on the psvr. Vr needs all the games it can get, currently theres too many cell phone type shovelware/junk. Hopefully sony figures out a way to get it done. Astrobot vr is prob one of the best games of all time that no one played. Now that sony is porting to pc hopefully theyll make that avail to a wider audience also.
psvr games are already backward compatible, the problem here is to make it playable on psvr2 headset, it needs developer input.

Beechos

psvr games are already backward compatible, the problem here is to make it playable on psvr2 headset, it needs developer input.
Totally forgot about that with the dongle on ps5. I guess the oculus quest has spoiled me with its lack of wires. But yeah i def dont have any confidence that extra work would be put in to make these games playable then. I also hope sega and namco also get off their asses and port or make new versions of their arcade light gun games on these vr platforms.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
it needs developer input.
It doesn't though.

technically every game is already backward compatible. the question is will tehy work with the psvr2 control schemes
Which schemes? It's just position of tracked devices & button states, there's been no paradigm shift in the last 6 years of VR.
Maybe PSVR2 will add finger tracking - but that just won't apply to BC games, obviously.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
It doesn't though.

Which schemes? It's just position of tracked devices & button states, there's been no paradigm shift in the last 6 years of VR.
Maybe PSVR2 will add finger tracking - but that just won't apply to BC games, obviously.
if you are right whats the point of the argument? we already establish psvr games are already backward compatible, and now you are saying the controls shouldn't be a problem for psvr2.

Notabueno

Banned
Correct.
SDK returns Position(and velocity) data at specific time-stamp to the application, to be specific. There's no interaction with the sensors (which involve many more data-points than just camera feed).

What would need 'translating'? PSVR2 SDK (like every other VR SDK) is still using temporal/spatial coordinates (meters and seconds or some fractional unit version of thereof). If they changed the units for any reason in their public-interface, that's just scaling by some constant value for BC purposes.
The compatibility isn't free - they need to provide a backwards compatible ABI for PSVR2 SDK, but that would still be needed even if they used the exact same tracking solution as PSVR.

Open questions in tracking are just a topic of peripheral support.
DS4 tracking in games needs to be replaced, so they would need DualSense tracking support. I expect this will be offered natively to PSVR2 titles also, but it's nonetheless 'additional work' if you think of new device as just HMD+Motion controllers.
Move/Aim controllers are more optional - but given Sony's exceptional track-record of supporting peripherals, I actually expect they'll add tracking support to PSVR2 for those as well (both would get improved tracking as result of this too).

The potential sources of issues (depending on how you define 'issue') are unrelated to tracking.
Eg:
- Most PSVR games optimize for lens-distortion profile of the VR headset. These values are provided by VR SDK, so well behaved applications could in fact get a higher-resolution output on the new hw for 'free' (without any patching needed). That said - some applications aren't as 'well behaved' - there's a possibility of low-level hackery with optimizing GPU workloads that could run into visual bugs. This is where a 'translation' could come into play, where new SDK could simply feed the application legacy PSVR data, and internally translate it to the new display/lens to guarantee compatibility.
Chances are, BC would offer different compatibility profiles here - where some games automatically get 'enhanced' visuals while others would run in compatibility mode retaining original quality (unless they get patched that is).
- Another subject is calibration screens. A few games show 'camera view' during calibration. The data is purely visual and not used for anything other than giving reference to the user, but without a camera in new system, the calibration screen would no longer have anything to show. Chances are most games will work perfectly fine just skipping this - but the user-experience will feel a bit rougher without patching this. The subset of games impacted here is relatively small - but still, worth noting.

I came back just to say that...I really wonder what's the policy of this forum on paid astroturfers spewing hilariously irrational dumb shit like "it can't be BC because of tracking", or "it doesn't need BC because I don't need it" to "it shouldn't have BC". If that is authorized any form of flaming, trolling, and wrongthink should be authorized...fuck that.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
if you are right whats the point of the argument? we already establish psvr games are already backward compatible, and now you are saying the controls shouldn't be a problem for psvr2.
Well there's degrees of 'not a problem'. We're not talking about 'free' BC (nothing ever is), and I am very much curious if Sony will opt to support legacy controllers or not (which isn't necessary for software to work - but I would personally appreciate still having the use of Aim for instance).

But for compatibility itself - so far the only argument against it has been 'tracking method changed' - but it's not like this is a transition that we haven't seen in last 6 years.
PSVR is mechanically the same as the first 4 Rifts, and PSVR2 is adopting the approach that Rift S/Quest 2 and plethora of other inside-out trackers use, while still running original Rift software just fine.

Remastered games seems obvious, you get increase graphical fidelity.

No mention of BC doesn't mean it isn't backwards compatible.

I thought you meant a leak that explicitly say 'no backwards compatibility'.

Yes especially since the new headset has a much higher resolution. PSVR1 games might look bad on it without a resolution update.

Loxus

Well there's degrees of 'not a problem'. We're not talking about 'free' BC (nothing ever is), and I am very much curious if Sony will opt to support legacy controllers or not (which isn't necessary for software to work - but I would personally appreciate still having the use of Aim for instance).

But for compatibility itself - so far the only argument against it has been 'tracking method changed' - but it's not like this is a transition that we haven't seen in last 6 years.
PSVR is mechanically the same as the first 4 Rifts, and PSVR2 is adopting the approach that Rift S/Quest 2 and plethora of other inside-out trackers use, while still running original Rift software just fine.
I know right.

Or just use the PS5 HD Camera for BC.
It features dual wide-angle lenses with the potential to be used for depth perception.
cOgnamG.jpg

This is how Sony says the PSVR 2 Sense Controllers are tracked.

Headset-based Controller Tracking: With inside-out tracking, PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.

Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

The Sense controllers are tracked via cameras with the tracking ring on the controller.
What's stopping the HD camera from tracking the Sense controller the same way as the headset cameras and in turn track motion the same way as PSVR 1?

Last edited:

dtremblay

If it is not negative to me then it is already not to EVERYONE lol
There is no spin in gamers not giving a shit to BC.

You buy a device to play new games.
The act to buy a $400 device to play OLD games is already a negative in my book.... that device was born to fail.

PS4 didn't have BC. Was that negative?
Switch didn't have BC. Was that negative?
PS3 had BC. Was that positive?
PS5 has BC. Was that positive?
vr already has a content issue. why exacerbate that?

Lognor

Banned
You said that dumb claim lol.
And your reply is a joke? Quest doesn’t work on PS5… c’mon.

You don’t have to choose between Quest 2 and PSVR2… if you are into PS5 ecosystem you will buy PSVR2… Quest 2 is not even an option.

BC is useless for the success of PSVR2 because people wants new games not play old games.

Most people buys new devices for new games… these that buys for BC are very very niche.
But the great thing about the Quest 2 is that you don't have to be in any ecosystem! You don't need a PS5, you don't need a PS4, you don't even need a PC!

BC is not useless. Sony has proven that since they decided to include it in the PS5 after not having it in the PS4. You claiming that BC is useless is laughable when two of the major console manufacturers say otherwise. But you know more, right? /s

ethomaz

Banned
But the great thing about the Quest 2 is that you don't have to be in any ecosystem! You don't need a PS5, you don't need a PS4, you don't even need a PC!

BC is not useless. Sony has proven that since they decided to include it in the PS5 after not having it in the PS4. You claiming that BC is useless is laughable when two of the major console manufacturers say otherwise. But you know more, right? /s
I think you mistook what Quest 2 is… it can play mobile VR games without PC but if you want really to play VR games you need a PC… the games that really show what VR is doesn’t work on Quest 2 without PC running them.

And BC is indeed something good to have but not a selling point… it is very niche feature.

People buy devices to play new games.

And Quest 2 doesn’t work on PS5 so you can’t have it in any ecosystem…. PSVR2 exists for these that are in the PS5 ecosystem… it is not a matter of option, choice or competition like I already explained to you before.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I think you mistook what Quest 2 is… it can play mobile VR games without PC but if you want really to play VR games you need a PC.

And BC is indeed something good to have but not a selling point… it is very much feature.

People buy devices to play new games.

And Quest 2 doesn’t work on PS5 so you can’t have it in any ecosystem…. so PSVR2 exists for these that are in the PS5 ecosystem.
But again, you don't need to be in any ecosystem to use a Quest 2. It works on its own, unlike the PSVR2. And the Quest 2 is over 10m units sold (based on that thread I just saw) so there is a huge community and there will continue to be more and more games developed for it, and many of those will not require a PC. Huge investment to get up and running with a PSVR2. Very small investment on the Quest 2, and even less so if you have older VR games since it is BC with those Oculus games. BC is huge. Don't misunderstand.

ethomaz

Banned
But again, you don't need to be in any ecosystem to use a Quest 2. It works on its own, unlike the PSVR2. And the Quest 2 is over 10m units sold (based on that thread I just saw) so there is a huge community and there will continue to be more and more games developed for it, and many of those will not require a PC. Huge investment to get up and running with a PSVR2. Very small investment on the Quest 2, and even less so if you have older VR games since it is BC with those Oculus games. BC is huge. Don't misunderstand.
BC is niche.

High profile VR games doesn’t work on Quest 2 without PC.

PSVR2 doesn’t have a processing unit on the device, it is not a mobile standalone device.

PSVR2 will have more money investment from Sony than the community of Quest 2… that is what happened with PSVR already.

What your point exactly?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
"mobile VR"

That is the definition of mobile games… play games from very old generation consoles.

RE8/RE7 can be played directly Quest 2?
Alyx can be played directly Quest 2?
Can Asseto Corsa be played directly on Quest 2?

It is pretty clear why you need a PC to play high profile games on Quest 2.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Medal of Honor isn't a port from old consoles.
At first I thought you were joking but I realize you were probably trolling/being serious.

It is a mobile port of a VR game on PC.

To people understand why Quest 2 needs a PC to play high profile VR games your example is perfect:

After all the APU is not in the top profile even for mobile with it Adreno 650.

Last edited:

Romulus

That is the definition of mobile games… play games from very old generation consoles.

RE8/RE7 can be played directly Quest 2?
Alyx can be played directly Quest 2?
Can Asseto Corsa be played directly on Quest 2?

It is pretty clear why you need a PC to play high profile games on Quest 2.

It doesn't get many "high end' games visually. But its still very good standing on its own. The library is solid. Walking dead is exceptional on quest 2 and a full length campaign for example. I had it on psvr and quest 2 and the quest version is superior outside of textures.
I think the quest already sells itself because alot of people have old gaming rigs that can run VR.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't know why anyone thinks the "tracking method" changing would cause a BC issues.

Why would an API a dev use suddenly be sending different kinds of data?

That's not how an API would work, it's sending directional coordinates, acceleration, etc.

It's like suggesting you wouldn't know how to read a radar gun, if you've only ever looked at a car's speedometer.

Consumer

I have a backlog of 100+ PSVR games, so I'd love BC as much as anyone, but I don't see it happening - at least nowhere near the scope of PS5's BC.

Knowing Sony, they'll probably just try to port the most popular PSVR games into native PSVR2 apps that can take advantage of the new API (and have separate trophy lists)

Alandring

To be honest, I didn't consider Oculus Quest 2... until your post.

I have PlayStation VR since launch, but I haven't used it since years because I hate all its wires, so I don't want to reinstall it again.

I know PlayStation VR 2 will have only one wire... but if it hasn't BC, I will probably choose a wireless VR headset.

I don't know what people do, but PlayStation 5 was the first console I bought without a game, and I still haven't bought any game for it*. My backlog is enough.

* : except Beat Saber last month, because I wanted to play it on PlayStation VR 2 and was afraid the songs that I wanted would disappear before.

I dont think there's any chance it will be BC.

And I dont think most people would care if it wasnt
I literally have bought Beat Saber because last month because I want to play it on PlayStation VR 2 😭.

Last edited:
Top Bottom