• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Positions Next PlayStation for Hard-Core Gamers.

This isn't just an SSD, you're talking about generic shit which is like 1,800 mb/s and the drives in these systems will likely be 5,000 mb/s+.
I know, still... it wouldn't make sense to use this, and make it a central platform feature, if they were to reduce the total storage capacity (games certainly won't be smaller).

So I'm not sure how they plan to fit all this in a 4/500$ console, unless theysell them at a loss (an 8 core R7 3x00 CPU + decent GPU + PCIe 4.0 NvME drive... isn't exactly cheap, even if the CPU isn't clocked very high and the GPU isn't the very top of the line).

8/16 Zen 2 CPU, r7 3700x CPU: 329$
The Navi 5700: 399$
Samsung 970pro 500GB NvME drive: 147.99$

No other parts taken into account gives you roughly 900$ at retail! All I know about the PICE 4 prices is the price for the 1TB corsair part which comes at around 250$! so 1000$ in total!

I think the console version of the CPU will be clocked lower, maybe as low as 3ghz, but still... I don't know how Sony will manage all this in a reasonable budget, without putting a lot of emphasis on the fact that you can keep your old console until you can afford the new one, because the last thing they want to do is to send clients to competing platforms (well the xbox is the only platform that plays in the same space).

lock2k

Banned
Most of the gaming audience is hardcore gamers. Very few casuals are going shell out $500 for a game console.

Look at what happened to Microsoft with the launch of the Xbox One. They switch the focus from games to TV and alienated the core audience. So what they've been doing since then is trying to win back the gamers with stuff like Gamepass.

Hmmmm.... no. The majority of people who own a PS4 here in Brazil are Fifa, PES and COD, Battlefield and GTA players, but I know at least 3 guys who only buy Fifa for the entire console lifespan. They're hardcore Fifa players, not hardcore gamers. You have to cater to everyone.

lock2k

Banned
Violence against female characters is probably going to get toned down at some point, if Kabals fatality is an indication

And NRS did that themselves on every version. Mind you, this is a current social climate issue, and it is not exclusive to Sony, unlike what some rabid Xbox fanboys would have you believe.

So this Kabal thing is confirmed? He really does that face when killing women?

I still haven't bought MK and I don't intend to. I supported this fucking series throughout the entire lifespan of it, even buying the hate 3d games (which I loved) but the "dream of talibanization" that polluted it made me fucking sick.

petran79

Banned
I know, still... it wouldn't make sense to use this, and make it a central platform feature, if they were to reduce the total storage capacity (games certainly won't be smaller).

So I'm not sure how they plan to fit all this in a 4/500$ console, unless theysell them at a loss (an 8 core R7 3x00 CPU + decent GPU + PCIe 4.0 NvME drive... isn't exactly cheap, even if the CPU isn't clocked very high and the GPU isn't the very top of the line).

No other parts taken into account gives you roughly 900$ at retail! All I know about the PICE 4 prices is the price for the 1TB corsair part which comes at around 250$! so 1000$ in total!

I think the console version of the CPU will be clocked lower, maybe as low as 3ghz, but still... I don't know how Sony will manage all this in a reasonable budget, without putting a lot of emphasis on the fact that you can keep your old console until you can afford the new one, because the last thing they want to do is to send clients to competing platforms (well the xbox is the only platform that plays in the same space).

Console hardware will be cheaper because they do not need to put testing and research on running multiple applications, security and countless scientific instructions and calculations, like their computer equivalents. They are just locked in a single OS and a few games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd take more games like Bloodstained where you have quality game design over a bunch of cinematic linear AAA experiences. I have a bunch of arcade archives, a bundled collection of classic games, and a handful of games I play more often than not. Maybe this is what they're striving for? I wonder how MK11 will even be handled by the time the next console is out. You have a fighting game that should have at least 3-5 years and it will more than likely have 2 kombat passes. I have to wonder if they'll do BC on the digital PS4 titles. A bunch of AAA games this gen would more than likely get remasters or something. I honestly think they could get ported over via BC with enhancement patches (if anything).

AAA gaming is great, but I'd be much happier with good game design rather than good high dollar graphics. Fit all that into a console and I don't mind spending an extra $100. I don't really want to pay $600+ again. I did that with PS3 and I was out $800 for basically Resistance Fall of Man, Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Virtua Fighter 5. Thinking about that now. I can those games and a PS3 for under $100.

Geki-D

Banned
Edit after looking it seems you are well aware, and a bit hypocritical
lol And when, pray tell, was the last time I actually posted in an Xbox thread? And anywhere near the frequency some of the MS faithful are posting in this thread?

I wanna see those receipts, as you just checked yourself.

This isn't just an SSD, you're talking about generic shit which is like 1,800 mb/s and the drives in these systems will likely be 5,000 mb/s+.

The cheapest 8core r7 3700x CPU: 329$

No other parts taken into account gives you roughly 900$ at retail! All I know about the PICE 4 prices is the price for the 1TB corsair part which comes at around 250$! so 1000$ in total!... I'm unsure how it will all fit in reasonable console budget once you add RAM, MB, etc.

Barakov

If they're focusing exclusively on big AAA games, I can see PS5 having a rough start. Part of the reason the PS4 kept on trucking even during a drought in big releases was because so many smaller(eg. niche) games released on PS4. Their hubris in believing they'll be there no matter what could definitely cause a rough patch for them. They may not want to admit it but the Switch is definitely a competitor in that regard. There's been cases where smaller games like Dead Cells sold more on Switch than any other platform. I think to reach the mass market you have to cater to everyone and when you cater to just the "go big or go home AAA philosophy" then I think that type of thinking is a problem when your announcing a new console.

If they're focusing exclusively on big AAA games, I can see PS5 having a rough start. Part of the reason the PS4 kept on trucking even during a drought in big releases was because so many smaller(eg. niche) games released on PS4. Their hubris in believing they'll be there no matter what could definitely cause a rough patch for them. They may not want to admit it but the Switch is definitely a competitor in that regard. There's been cases where smaller games like Dead Cells sold more on Switch than any other platform. I think to reach the mass market you have to cater to everyone and when you cater to just the "go big or go home AAA philosophy" then I think that type of thinking is a problem when your announcing a new console.

True, though they might have mentioned focusing more on hardcore AAA gamers/games, having support from all forms and types of studios(AAA, Indie etc) and games would also be Sony's top priority. Get as many games on their platform as possible from the get go.

DavidGzz

If these mufakin consoles are only $400 I'mma get a PC. Weak ass

Edit: I just don't see it. Sony and MS going for $500 and here is why I believe it. They don't have to have a mass migration this generation. They can continue selling the Pro and X since all games will be compatible. The PS5 and Scarlett are just another incremental upgrade similar to the X but bigger because of the new CPU's. They're going big.

Last edited:

mejin

the games will come to playstation. That's their belief.

Sony had more space for indies earlier this gen cause the big games were not ready since several first party released games for ps3 in 2013, ps4 launch year.

HeresJohnny

If these mufakin consoles are only $400 I'mma get a PC. Weak ass

Edit: I just don't see it. Sony and MS going for $500 and here is why I believe it. They don't have to have a mass migration this generation. They can continue selling the Pro and X since all games will be compatible. The PS5 and Scarlett are just another incremental upgrade similar to the X but bigger because of the new CPU's. They're going big.
So you're suggesting these companies spend millions in production, advertising, R&D and the like and then not aggressively pursue an installed base that buys one? Or that they price the new machines so high that no one buys one and holds on to their last generation machines? Sounds like a brilliant strategy, dude.

EDIT: the whole idea of releasing something is with the intent of people buying it, of it accomplishing some goal. If new consoles are simply goalposts that no one is supposed to hit, then what's the point? I mean, I'm trying to get you here, but it sounds like you're advocating releasing next gen machines and at the same time advocating that people don't buy one. A system whose base is being encouraged to keep one foot in the outgoing generation is doomed imo. Defined generational cycles are one of the defining characteristics of consoles. Without them, we are nothing but PCs and again I have to ask: at that point, why bother? You yourself already said you are already contemplating buying a PC, and it sounds like that would suit you better imo.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So you're suggesting these companies spend millions in production, advertising, R&D and the like and then not aggressively pursue an installed base that buys one? Or that they price the new machines so high that no one buys one and holds on to their last generation machines? Sounds like a brilliant strategy, dude.

EDIT: the whole idea of releasing something is with the intent of people buying it, of it accomplishing some goal. If new consoles are simply goalposts that no one is supposed to hit, then what's the point? I mean, I'm trying to get you here, but it sounds like you're advocating releasing next gen machines and at the same time advocating that people don't buy one. A system whose base is being encouraged to keep one foot in the outgoing generation is doomed imo. Defined generational cycles are one of the defining characteristics of consoles. Without them, we are nothing but PCs and again I have to ask: at that point, why bother? You yourself already said you are already contemplating buying a PC, and it sounds like that would suit you better imo.

Lmao, dude is all warmed up ready to pounce on the $500 Bros. I'm gonna cry. Fine man, $400 systems are a go. Sad.

But let's be honest, all games will be cross platform for at least 2 years. By the time there are exclusives these $499 consoles will be cheaper to make and maybe cost $350.

Last edited:

Daymos

What is a hardcore gamer?

"The stereotypical hardcore gamer is out of shape, and has poor hygene. They spend a lot of their disposable income on video games, consoles, or PC upgrades, and a large percentage of their free time either playing video games or discussing them, online and off. They wear either black clothing, or T-shirts with geeky pop-culture references, often to video games. Their social skills may be sub-par, and they may be less likely than others their age to have many friends, a jobs and a girlfriend/boyfriend. Some of these stereotypes are negative, and they certainly don't apply to all hardcore gamers, but there's a fair amount of truth to them. "

DavidGzz

I consider myself one but also a hardcore lifter. No problem with social situations. I wear Gymshark stringers and videogame shirts. I'm a hybrid.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Hardcore gamers that like censored games.

At the current rate, it's still pretty rare. They just allowed the new Leisure Suit Larry game on their platform. Some anime games have had some censoring but those are outliers compared to how many games are coming out.

Between the three big console brands out there, Sony and Nintendo are at least pumping out first party games instead of just buying studios to run into the ground. And the games have been terrific mostly.

Nintendo used to censor stuff too and look at them now. Sony will fix this crap. But again, at least we're getting good games from their studios.

Justin9mm

They will strike deals with suppliers as they are mass producing making 1000's of them so it won't cost them retail prices. But I imagine they would be selling at a slight loss and if all specs are true, then it just goes to show how much value you are getting for the price, even if it retailed for say $599 USD.

Consoles needed this leap to stay relevant and competitive in a fast growing technological industry.

Last edited:

Visualift

No other parts taken into account gives you roughly 900$ at retail! All I know about the PICE 4 prices is the price for the 1TB corsair part which comes at around 250$! so 1000$ in total!... I'm unsure how it will all fit in reasonable console budget once you add RAM, MB, etc.

It's all about wholesale. Depending how may hundreds or thousands you purchase the price per unite goes down. You can't use consumer prices to estimate the base of materials (BOM). For example, the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Octa-Core 3.7 GHz retails for around $329 where it only costs between $85-100 retail.

They will strike deals with suppliers as they are mass producing making 1000's of them so it won't cost them retail prices. But I imagine they would be selling at a slight loss and if all specs are true, then it just goes to show how much value you are getting for the price, even if it retailed for say $599 USD.

Consoles needed this leap to stay relevant and competitive in a fast growing technological industry.
It's all about wholesale. Depending how may hundreds or thousands you purchase the price per unite goes down. You can't use consumer prices to estimate the base of materials (BOM). For example, the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Octa-Core 3.7 GHz retails for around $329 where it only costs between $85-100 retail.
I know all this, but if your neighbour sell something for 10$ and you are selling a similar thing, chances are that if you are to undercut him it will be by 1 or 2$, not by 8$.

So what will they do? I don't think they are releasing a loss leader console anymore, but I could be wrong.

Visualift

I know all this, but if your neighbour sell something for 10$ and you are selling a similar thing, chances are that if you are to undercut him it will be by 1 or 2$, not by 8$.

So what will they do? I don't think they are releasing a loss leader console anymore, but I could be wrong.

As long as they aren't selling systems at a loss I feel it all comes down to hitting top spec then following through with strong marketing and content starting at launch. I'm with ya that it's difficult to stay ahead even with these wholesale prices. My thought was more about the ability they have to put a strong console out without asking gamers to break the bank.

it doesn't work like that, first off they wont sell at a loss, this is a company that sells millions of units, there are other factors like cutting middle men, and other charges, my point is even if a CPU cost 329$ it only cost them 50 - 70$ MAX .

Top Bottom