• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PlayStation Has Canceled its Attendance at PAX East Citing Coronavirus Concerns | Update: Boston Mayor Asks Sony To Reconsider

That is a possibility. I work in a big company which had to cancel one of their biggest events due to the virus. This is why I believe Sony did it due to the same situation. I also expect more companies to place on hold or cancel more events during the year if things get worse.

Which is fair, I mean this is a serious outbreak and people shouldn't diminish it. However, I think a lot of the "negativity" about it comes from how tight lipped Sony has been and how that could point at them being behind schedule. It's okay to cancel events for whatever reason. They don't HAVE to be at E3, at PAX or anywhere in fact. Just give people something or frustration is going to build, it's console launch year and stuff has been glacial. Microsoft isn't a paragon of competence by any means, but they seem to have more of a social media presence.

Jtibh

Banned
  • Italy reports 1st virus death, 15 additional cases, 10 cities on lockdown
  • 34 cases in USA.
  • China pledges to build 19 new hospitals in Wuhan
  • Hawaii hasn't tested any suspected cases in the state
  • 253 more passengers depart the diamond princess as 11 of 13 American evacuees in Nebraska test positive
  • Local authorities in China warn people will be punished for not returning to work if ordered
  • WHO's Tedros: Window for confronting virus rapidly closing
  • CDC says virus tremendous health threat, warns more human to human transmission of the virus in the US likely
  • First case declared in Lebanon
  • Iran confirms 9 more cases as virus reaches Tehran
  • South Korea reported massive jump in cases on Friday as total climbed to 204
  • Global Times insinuates that US might be covering up coronavirus cases
  • Health officials in Hubei 'apologize' for changing case confirmation 'criteria'

The next 3 weeks will dictate what will happen with events , the olympics etc around the world.

New consoles this year? Forget it.
Can they switch to online presentation? Yes zero reason why they couldnt.

At this rate i give E3 cancellation 50 percent.
I would advise people to book ahead tickets hotels etc. with a good refund policy so in case events get cancelled they get all their money back.

DCDW

iu

Whateva Sony.

Mista

Banned
Boston’s mayor Marty Walsh addressed a formal letter to Sony’s president and chief executive officer Kenichiro Yoshida formally requesting the company to reconsider its stance.

In the letter, Welsh mentioned that the risk of contracting the new virus in Boston is extremely low and that the city’s officials have no reason to believe that anyone should cancel plans to visit the city.

Welsh also mentioned that fears over the Coronavirus outbreak have been causing the reinforcements of harmful stereotypes.
These fears reinforce harmful stereotypes that generations of Asians have worked hard to dismantle.

They trigger our worst impulses: to view entire groups of people with suspicion, to close ourselves off, and to miss out on the opportunities and connections our global city provides. Boston is united in our efforts to dispel these harmful and misguided fears.

He also added that Sony has the opportunity to set a positive example by actually attending the show.
As a large, international company, you have an opportunity to set a good example.

As a leader in technology, you can show that you are motivated by facts, not fear. As a leader in gaming and culture, you can show that you believe in connection, not isolation.

CyberPanda

Banned
Boston’s mayor Marty Walsh addressed a formal letter to Sony’s president and chief executive officer Kenichiro Yoshida formally requesting the company to reconsider its stance.

In the letter, Welsh mentioned that the risk of contracting the new virus in Boston is extremely low and that the city’s officials have no reason to believe that anyone should cancel plans to visit the city.

Welsh also mentioned that fears over the Coronavirus outbreak have been causing the reinforcements of harmful stereotypes.

He also added that Sony has the opportunity to set a positive example by actually attending the show.

Sony won't attend, sadly.

mortal

Gold Member
Soooo should we be expecting more State of Play broadcasts now?

With E3 2020 officially off the table, this is obviously going to affect the marketing for both TLOU part 2 and GOT, and to an extent for PS5.
Assuming this trend continues well into summer, as more Coronavirus cases pop up over the world.

spartan30gr

• Italy reports 1st virus death, 15 additional cases, 10 cities on lockdown
  • 34 cases in USA.
  • China pledges to build 19 new hospitals in Wuhan
  • Hawaii hasn't tested any suspected cases in the state
  • 253 more passengers depart the diamond princess as 11 of 13 American evacuees in Nebraska test positive
  • Local authorities in China warn people will be punished for not returning to work if ordered
  • WHO's Tedros: Window for confronting virus rapidly closing
  • CDC says virus tremendous health threat, warns more human to human transmission of the virus in the US likely
  • First case declared in Lebanon
  • Iran confirms 9 more cases as virus reaches Tehran
  • South Korea reported massive jump in cases on Friday as total climbed to 204
  • Global Times insinuates that US might be covering up coronavirus cases
  • Health officials in Hubei 'apologize' for changing case confirmation 'criteria'

The next 3 weeks will dictate what will happen with events , the olympics etc around the world.

New consoles this year? Forget it.
Can they switch to online presentation? Yes zero reason why they couldnt.

At this rate i give E3 cancellation 50 percent.
I would advise people to book ahead tickets hotels etc. with a good refund policy so in case events get cancelled they get all their money back.

There is and good news bytheway

According to the WHO, more than 80 percent of patients infected with the virus have mild disease and recover, while 14 percent have severe diseases such as pneumonia. Around five percent of cases are considered critical."

Jtibh

Banned

According to the WHO, more than 80 percent of patients infected with the virus have mild disease and recover, while 14 percent have severe diseases such as pneumonia. Around five percent of cases are considered critical."
I dont trust the WHO never did never will.
A bunch of lying lobbyist know nothing at all.
They are the ones who downplayed it and now they say the window to contain the virus is narrowing.

They are paid by the ccp to shut their mouth and spread lies.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Im starting to think Sony has nothing to show and are latching on to this crisis to escape criticism.

If you have nothing, fine just admit it and market the upcoming Ps4 games still coming this year.

I mean after all you teased a reveal and just showed a logo instead. And now the virus has been their excuse to avoid scrutiny.

Jtibh

Banned

The only good news out of this is that china cut its pollution by 50 percent.
Thats all.
All the gretas in the world are high for weeks from euphoria over this news.

magnumpy

:lollipop_astonished:

reports are that the most at risk from this are the very old or very young. very young as in babies.

not typical attendees of a show like E3 or PAX or whatever :messenger_medmask::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_crying:

Jtibh Jtibh

I appreciate how involved you are in spreading information about the Virus. However:

1) Do you have any proof that China is lying about the virus, other than 'it's China'
2) What does the virus have to do with Sony cancelling this event, outside of Sony cancelling the event?

Shouldn't your information be put in another thread for more people to see? I'm not trying to backseat mod, if you have good information it should be in an OT thread for all of Gaf to see. You may have life-saving information that's worth spreading, or not? 🤷‍♂️

decisions

I actually appreciate the efforts to halt unnecessary international travel for a bit, doing so would be very rational. Good job on Sony and I hope they don't backpedal on their absence.

Let's stop recreational international travel for a few months, get rid of this nasty virus, and then go back to normal. Sadly the virus will probably proliferate much more than it really needs to due to a lack of rational collaboration...

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Jtibh Jtibh

I appreciate how involved you are in spreading information about the Virus. However:

1) Do you have any proof that China is lying about the virus, other than 'it's China'
2) What does the virus have to do with Sony cancelling this event, outside of Sony cancelling the event?

Shouldn't your information be put in another thread for more people to see? I'm not trying to backseat mod, if you have good information it should be in an OT thread for all of Gaf to see. You may have life-saving information that's worth spreading, or not? 🤷‍♂️
😭😭😭😭😭 i just wrote a bunch of stuff and got deleted by accident.
Writing on phone.....

So i give you the short version and can detail it more later.

Yes i would be interested in making an OT.
Not sure where exact?
Would like to have some input how to do it as information gets updated every day and not sure do i delete and replace the old info or how?
It was never my intention to use this thread for spreading virus info.
But again would like to have some guidence and would be more than happy to keep people updated.
I think its very important and maybe some would use it as template to plan their next move.

Yes i have some explanation why china is lying about numbers.
Would elaborate in OT.

For sony?
So for E3 i think they wanted to skip it and throw a big event in their home land during the olympics.
Would have been perfect. Would have saved a lot of money and the audience is already present.
But as i learned all prep events for the olympics have been cancelled and it is very likely the olympics will be moved or cancelled for good.

For gdc i believe its just precaution.
Given the increase in travel bans in and out of asia and soon south korea and iran , i think they are just worried whos next.
We keep forgetting about the quarantine part.
So far it was 14 days but sorces suggest officials are requesting up to 27 days.
Imagine you come from japan and uppon entry someone gets flagged, now all passengers on the plain would most likely enter quarantine.
No time for that right?

I am a 100 percent sure sony wont launch this year .
Factor one is manufacturing delay given the current situation.
And even if they can deliver in small number, they wont do that cuz they sell at a loss and if they have to wait for the next shipment they will loose money to the banks in interest etc. They need to turn profit asap and that is through software and services.
Limited amount of consoles results in limited amount of ROI.

So do they have nothing to show? Probably.
Do they use the virus as decoy? Yes why not.
I think its a combination of all.
I think they had something big planned and it got all ruined.
Cant fight nature.

I am also suspicious about xbox. They been quite for a long time now as well.
One would think they would capitalize on sony's dilema.

Anyways any help for me making an OT is appreciated

Last edited:
Writing on phone.....

Not sure where exact?
Would like to have some input how to do it as information gets updated every day and not sure do i delete and replace the old info or how?
But again would like to have some guidence and would be more than happy to keep people updated.
I think its very important and maybe some would use it as template to plan their next move.

Would elaborate in OT.

For sony?
So for E3 i think they wanted to skip it and throw a big event in their home land during the olympics.
Would have been perfect. Would have saved a lot of money and the audience is already present.
But as i learned all prep events for the olympics have been cancelled and it is very likely the olympics will be moved or cancelled for good.

Given the increase in travel bans in and out of asia and soon south korea and iran , i think they are just worried whos next.
So far it was 14 days but sorces suggest officials are requesting up to 27 days.
Imagine you come from japan and uppon entry someone gets flagged, now all passengers on the plain would most likely enter quarantine.
No time for that right?

And even if they can deliver in small number, they wont do that cuz they sell at a loss and if they have to wait for the next shipment they will loose money to the banks in interest etc. They need to turn profit asap and that is through software and services.

Cant fight nature.

I've made a thread for you.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Back in 1999, when Sony was first bringing the PS2 to light, they made an event in Japan that got reported all over the world. Their announcements tentacled their way into the Internet, and it was hugely successful.

They don't need to have a large audience at an event like this. Whatever they present is going to permeate the whole Internet anyway.

Unless they're bringing something that has to be played like the Wii, there is no need for these kind of events, if the PS5 is all you're thinking of..

Last edited:

magnumpy

this could be a big opportunity for microsoft? as in xbox?

unless both sony and microsoft cancel their shows for this year in sync... I mean that is very unlikely right??

mitchman

Gold Member
Fun fact . Youtube demonetizes every video related to the corona virus.
Gotta control the content somehow right?
Might be due to the state financed disinformation campains going on, sponsored by Russia allegedly.
It is a flu virus. A normal healthy person wont die from it.
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Both of these statements are wrong.
I've never seen so many people scared if the flu before.

World full of soyboy panzies confirmed
It's not a flu virus.

Racer!

Writing on phone.....

Not sure where exact?

Would elaborate in OT.

For sony?

No time for that right?

Cant fight nature.

You should trade on the stock market as you apparently have the ability to predict the future. Too many unkowns to claim something like that. A vaccine could be developed next week for all you know, although most likely it will take several months.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
🤷‍♂️ i'm not an ill-ologist or whatevers.

all I know is, weak and old people die from it. This is just nature thinning out the herd so we as a species can be stronger for when the true tests come.
Then I suggest you do some more research as this statement is also incorrect. Young and healthy people also die from this virus.

The study also showed that older adults have been hit hardest by COVID-19. Among those ages 80 and older, the death rate was 14.8%, compared with 8.0% for those ages 70 to 79; 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for those ages 50 to 59; 0.4% for those ages 40 to 49, and 0.2% for those ages 10 to 39. No deaths have been reported among children from birth to age 9.

Jtibh

Banned
You should trade on the stock market as you apparently have the ability to predict the future. Too many unkowns to claim something like that. A vaccine could be developed next week for all you know, although most likely it will take several months.
Best case 6 months worst is 18 months.
That is if there is no mutation happening.

Not predicting anything.
Just looking at available data and keeping up to date with new developments.

Also being a business owner and dealing with a bunch of suppliers i get the idea about shortages first hand.
So far no issues though on my end.

I am speechless, reading certain comments without thinking and reflecting carefully on certain news is of extreme gravity and very immature, but moreover perhaps this is also the community.
Many people think only of their own lives and their own profits, but perhaps they do not realize what it means to try to prevent a pandemic infection worldwide, so if you don't know what the safety protocols are, maybe it would be better to keep silent than to write bestiality.
Maybe reading a bit of numbers and understanding how to prevent certain situations would be useful, I like video games but if I have to give up on them for health security reasons ... well I give up willingly, so I agree with the choice of Sony and all the companies seeking to limit travel to prevent potential dangers.

Some numbers World Healt Organization

EMP88

Neophyte
Maybe they don’t have anything to show?
Sony had the largest booth space at PAX East and where planning to have the first public demo of The Last of Us 2. Their biggest exclusive of the generation.

Microsoft aren’t at PAX East because they have quite literally packed up until next gen.

The Mayor of Boston is ignorant. It’s as simple as that.

Cases South Korea doubled in the last 24hrs. Overtaking Japan as the country with the most cases outside Japan. Italy has new cases and areas of the country on lockdown. Cases are cropping up in the Middle East. But most worryingly of all, there are now cases, without any clear link back to China.

It’s also worth remembering. If there is a case, those in contact need to go into quarantine for at least 2 weeks. In reality that likely puts someone out of action for a month as companies won’t take undue risks.

At this point I’d put it at 50/50 whether events like the Olympics and E3 will be cancelled. New cases may start diminishing. But it’s just as likely we’ll see new outbreaks in Europe and the US.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I am speechless, reading certain comments without thinking and reflecting carefully on certain news is of extreme gravity and very immature, but moreover perhaps this is also the community.
Many people think only of their own lives and their own profits, but perhaps they do not realize what it means to try to prevent a pandemic infection worldwide, so if you don't know what the safety protocols are, maybe it would be better to keep silent than to write bestiality.
Maybe reading a bit of numbers and understanding how to prevent certain situations would be useful, I like video games but if I have to give up on them for health security reasons ... well I give up willingly, so I agree with the choice of Sony and all the companies seeking to limit travel to prevent potential dangers.

You cant realy be surprised about that though.
Consider the massive age gap on gaf from 14 to has to wear a diaper cuz shitter is too far.
Most youth are just not versed in this topic.
Who can blame them given the total media fallout or just plain missinformation on the subject.
All you can do is sprinkle some knowledge and hope it wakes them up a bit.

Covid-19 is a glorified flu yet that's not stopping the sensationalist press fill their boots with this drama.

Did you know, most people who catch it develop mild symptoms only and make a full recovery? Guess this is getting lost in the 'modern plague' hyperbole.

Jtibh

Banned
Covid-19 is a glorified flu yet that's not stopping the sensationalist press fill their boots with this drama.

Did you know, most people who catch it develop mild symptoms only and make a full recovery? Guess this is getting lost in the 'modern plague' hyperbole.

uOYVRyP.png

GHG

You cant realy be surprised about that though.
Consider the massive age gap on gaf from 14 to has to wear a diaper cuz shitter is too far.
Most youth are just not versed in this topic.
Who can blame them given the total media fallout or just plain missinformation on the subject.
All you can do is sprinkle some knowledge and hope it wakes them up a bit.

Unfortunately some of these idiotic comments are coming from adults who are delusional in thinking their country is safe from the dangers of something like this.

Most people posting here aren't in the demographic this threatens most but we've all got loved ones who are either very young or very old who would be susceptible. It's short sighted to say you're not concerned about it.

The biggest issue is the fact that this shit spreads long before people start showing symptoms. Because of that extra precautions need to be taken.

We really are our own worst enemies.

Last edited:
Jtibh Jtibh

Please just stop spreading rumors regarding the cornavirus. You just sound like a CNN/Illuminati gospel. Im currently located in Vietnam which is I am pretty sure closer than you'll ever get to China. So far only 1 quarantined case here. There is no food shortage, people take precautions sure but everybody is out, bars and clubs working full force, tourism hasn't slowed down, all street food stalls operating as normals with customers just as always. There are bans for SOME airlines to China, there is no air travel ban in Asia. The virus is real but I really cant take you seriously with this bullshit.

You mentioned 600 deaths? Even if true, you are talking about a country of ONE POINT THRE BILLION people. 600 people die there a month just from hunger and poverty. Your only facts are CNN and some youtube conspiracy freaks. You want to know how a country that is close to China looks like now? People in hospitality wear face masks (only restaurants, bars no), there are alcohol wipes and liquid everywhere for people to clean their hands and flight attendants wear gloves not to get in direct contact with passengers.

THATS IT. No mass hysteria, no air travel bans, no people hiding in homes. You are just full of shit, sorry.

Last edited:

Or we see this for the sensationalist bullshit that it is.

Swine flu Bird flu, cjd and foot and mouth existed before the Internet was q big thing and they were just as inconsequential and over hyped

Ebola, the doomsday disease fizzled out like a fart in the wind. This is more sensationalism and throwing numbers and figures around means very little without a full background wrie up of each individual.

The condescending language used against those who refuse to stop their lives, cower in fear and do everything to halt the spread of a boogeyman disease is sad at best and indoctrination at worst.

But hey, as long as your arguments are " china are lying because fuck China" you can't be reasoned with. You may as well join the flat earth crew with this logic.

Has kony been stopped yet?
How are the riots in Hong Kong?

The remaining 20% can easily overwhelm even the best healthcare systems in the world, making the final death tally higher among them.

Either way a sickness that spreads extremely fast and gives a pneumonia that requires hospitalized treatments to 20% of those affected is a pretty bad prospect, imagine if the flu was anywhere close to this.

GHG

Or we see this for the sensationalist bullshit that it is.

Swine flu Bird flu, cjd and foot and mouth existed before the Internet was q big thing and they were just as inconsequential and over hyped

Ebola, the doomsday disease fizzled out like a fart in the wind. This is more sensationalism and throwing numbers and figures around means very little without a full background wrie up of each individual.

The condescending language used against those who refuse to stop their lives, cower in fear and do everything to halt the spread of a boogeyman disease is sad at best and indoctrination at worst.

But hey, as long as your arguments are " china are lying because fuck China" you can't be reasoned with. You may as well join the flat earth crew with this logic.

Has kony been stopped yet?
How are the riots in Hong Kong?

It's not sensationalism when the general advice for people in certain areas is to take precaution and postpone any non-essential travel and mass gathering events. Nobody is saying stop everything you are doing and get to a bunker, it's just about exercising common sense.

This thing tore through a cruise ship in the matter of a week for goodness sake. Japan happens to be an affected area, largely because of the cruise ship, hence this Boston mayor is actually being negligent with his comments. Yes it's fine and dandy now but the level of risk increases the moment more and more people from areas like Japan embark on Boston. It's his own city that would suffer if an outbreak were to occur.

This would simply pass and "fizzle out" if people from affected areas/regions actually took the advice for a few weeks instead of running around downplaying it as "just the flu", which is quite frankly moronic.

Techies

🤷‍♂️ i'm not an ill-ologist or whatevers.

all I know is, weak and old people die from it. This is just nature thinning out the herd so we as a species can be stronger for when the true tests come.
The problem is if your already in poor health, the chance that a virus like this will turn out to be deadly increases dramatically. With flu they can give you antibiotics, with this they can't.

So it hugely depends on your immune system and the state of your health prior to being hit with the virus.

It's not sensationalism when the general advice for people in certain areas is to take precaution and postpone any non-essential travel and mass gathering events. Nobody is saying stop everything you are doing and get to a bunker, it's just about exercising common sense.

This thing tore through a cruise ship in the matter of a week for goodness sake. Japan happens to be an affected area, largely because of the cruise ship, hence this Boston mayor is actually being negligent with his comments. Yes it's fine and dandy now but the level of risk increases the moment more and more people from areas like Japan embark on Boston. It's his own city that would suffer if an outbreak were to occur.

This would simply pass and "fizzle out" if people from affected areas/regions actually took the advice for a few weeks instead of running around downplaying it as "just the flu", which is quite frankly moronic.
Imagine that, a disease or virus spreading in an isolated area where all of the people on the ship have daily contact with oneanother. They share plates, cutlery, cups, drinks, bedsheets, entertainment areas...

Have you never heard how fast the shits goes around a cruise ship? Or if one person has a cold, how many people get it? Think about what you're saying and how you present it. That's my main gripe with all of this.

Giving stats, figures and your own POV is fine. Other posters have condescended to, shrugged off or scoffed at others who question the narrative. A narrative that is being questioned because time and time again the same old shite follows the same old patterns, which ultimately leads nowhere.

I remember headlines in the major rags in the UK proclaiming that bird flu - and then swine flu, years later - would "kill 98% of the population if it ever escaped from China/Japan". Nobody died, a few people were sick.

The same goes for SARS! a deadly respiratory disease that was going to be the modern day plague.

On topic: All Sony have done, in the context of the this thread, is buy themselves time for whatever issues they are having behind the scenes. Be it; negotiating prices with AMD - I believe this is why they are stalling the release - trouble making the hardware, a high-price point and they are stalling for MS to announce first or something else. Sony are jumping on the sensationalism and hiding behind "we care" as a cowardly get-out instead of facing their consumers.

Jtibh

Banned
Jtibh Jtibh

Please just stop spreading rumors regarding the cornavirus. You just sound like a CNN/Illuminati gospel. Im currently located in Vietnam which is I am pretty sure closer than you'll ever get to China. So far only 1 quarantined case here. There is no food shortage, people take precautions sure but everybody is out, bars and clubs working full force, tourism hasn't slowed down, all street food stalls operating as normals with customers just as always. There are bans for SOME airlines to China, there is no air travel ban in Asia. The virus is real but I really cant take you seriously with this bullshit.

You mentioned 600 deaths? Even if true, you are talking about a country of ONE POINT THRE BILLION people. 600 people die there a month just from hunger and poverty. Your only facts are CNN and some youtube conspiracy freaks. You want to know how a country that is close to China looks like now? People in hospitality wear face masks (only restaurants, bars no), there are alcohol wipes and liquid everywhere for people to clean their hands and flight attendants wear gloves not to get in direct contact with passengers.

THATS IT. No mass hysteria, no air travel bans, no people hiding in homes. You are just full of shit, sorry.
Everything you wrote is bullshit.

You believe what you want doesnt matter to me just dont try to lecture me about this subject.

Jtibh

Banned
I
Imagine that, a disease or virus spreading in an isolated area where all of the people on the ship have daily contact with oneanother. They share plates, cutlery, cups, drinks, bedsheets, entertainment areas...

Have you never heard how fast the shits goes around a cruise ship? Or if one person has a cold, how many people get it? Think about what you're saying and how you present it. That's my main gripe with all of this.

Giving stats, figures and your own POV is fine. Other posters have condescended to, shrugged off or scoffed at others who question the narrative. A narrative that is being questioned because time and time again the same old shite follows the same old patterns, which ultimately leads nowhere.

I remember headlines in the major rags in the UK proclaiming that bird flu - and then swine flu, years later - would "kill 98% of the population if it ever escaped from China/Japan". Nobody died, a few people were sick.

The same goes for SARS! a deadly respiratory disease that was going to be the modern day plague.

On topic: All Sony have done, in the context of the this thread, is buy themselves time for whatever issues they are having behind the scenes. Be it; negotiating prices with AMD - I believe this is why they are stalling the release - trouble making the hardware, a high-price point and they are stalling for MS to announce first or something else. Sony are jumping on the sensationalism and hiding behind "we care" as a cowardly get-out instead of facing their consumers.
We been her before like 6 weeks ago.
Everyone said the same.
6 weeks later things just got worse.

Lets wait another 3 weeks and come back to this .
See what changed see if it all was just a phase and the world went back to normal.

Top Bottom