• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 5 price increase has not yet impacted consumer demand

Is this something we're supposed to be happy about? "Customers don't care about price increases". Seems like a very bad thing for the future of gaming that prices are just going to keep going up because nobody's stopping

Pelta88

I remember the price hike thread and the comments, either about PlayStation being doomed, or how people would go elsewhere.

What surprised me about that thread is that those detractors never seemed to realize that a gaming console is about actual good games. It'd be a different argument entirely if PlayStation wasn't keeping its audience "Well fed." But PS finds itself in a situation where gamers are actively debating whether or not PS5's launch surpasses that of the PS2.

And gamers want in on that experience.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
edit: i also thought the launch PS3 was ugly as fuck but it had games i wanted so i bought that ASAP.
You preferred the PS3 launch lineup over the PS5 launch lineup??

Suspicious Family Matters GIF

I remember the price hike thread and the comments, either about PlayStation being doomed, or how people would go elsewhere.

What surprised me about that thread is that those detractors never seemed to realize that a gaming console is about actual good games. It'd be a different argument entirely if PlayStation wasn't keeping its audience "Well fed." But PS finds itself in a situation where gamers are actively debating whether or not PS5's launch surpasses that of the PS2.

And gamers want in on that experience.

Yeah, its this pretty much. No one is ‘bragging’ or ‘laughing’ its more of a I told you so. People on the internet in these spaces get so caught up in whats directly in front of their nose, they think if they lash out and kick their feet then a major corporation is just going to go, “you know what nevermind this thing we’ve had the best financial analyst in the world spend so much time figuring out, the internet is mad”.

Its a reality check. Sony has a very in demand product, despite whatever “next gen” software you think its lacking in, people want it. These little intangible “negative” PR articles that are posted on here every week don’t even reach anyone that cares. It’s mostly people who already bought it or can’t afford to buy it at the moment making the most noise about it.

In the real world if someone goes christmas shopping, the hot item is still gonna be the ps5 whether its 500 dollars or 550 dollars

Drewpee

Banned
"This cost hike hasn't deterred gamers, though, and Sony indicates that consumers are still very eager to buy PS5 hardware. In fact, Sony highlighted that the PS5 sold 100,000 units in just 17.5 hours in the US, but this region wasn't affected by the price hike."

[/URL]

100.000 Units in 17.5 hours?

200w.gif
That's what happens when you dominate a market the way Sony has.
They tested the market and found that people don't care. If they are smart Sony will continue raising prices. Their supporters will back them no matter what they do, might as well use that to their advantage.

That's what happens when you dominate a market the way Sony has.
They tested the market and found that people don't care. If they are smart Sony will continue raising prices. Their supporters will back them no matter what they do, might as well use that to their advantage.

Sony has the competition which currently has the price advantage. They probably won't increase their prices further due to that. Inflation is a very real factor so that might end up forcing the competition to increase their prices to not take an even bigger loss. Sony would probably respond to inflation with a price increase to maintain their profit margins.

Sony has the competition which currently has the price advantage. They probably won't increase their prices further due to that. Inflation is a very real factor so that might end up forcing the competition to increase their prices to not take an even bigger loss. Sony would probably respond to inflation with a price increase to maintain their profit margins.

Sony've already adjusted their prices for inflation. MS and Nintendo are the ones who haven't, but so far they haven't needed to. Nintendo has dumb good profit margins on Switch hardware sales anyway; Microsoft makes enough profit through Windows, Office, and Azure that they can eat any losses from Series hardware so far plus they have likely scaled back in total system volume production as another means of saving on costs if they needed to (or may plan to do that).

They could even shift some hardware production away from Series S and increase Series X supply instead, bringing total systems shipped down but lowering losses per system sold by going with the higher-priced model and cutting down the lesser in-demand system of the two by say 30% or even 40%, but increasing Series X production amounts by 25% or something like that.

Robb

Gold Member
Not all that surprising, it’s still difficult to get and people have been paying way more from scalpers for a while. Getting it, even at a 10% higher price, is still a bargain compared to scalper prices.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Phil Spencer already dropped the hint they will. And the other day they increased prices in India, their test bed. Ironically.

Gamerguy84

That price inncrease was nothing we have people on these boards who paid 1,000.

I wasnt paying a dime over retail. Got two within a month for me and 5 others for friends.

"This cost hike hasn't deterred gamers, though, and Sony indicates that consumers are still very eager to buy PS5 hardware. In fact, Sony highlighted that the PS5 sold 100,000 units in just 17.5 hours in the US, but this region wasn't affected by the price hike."

100.000 Units in 17.5 hours?

200w.gif
100k in the region the price didn't go up, wow what a great example.

Drewpee

Banned
Sonys competition is itself at this point. The support they have is unrivaled and them being able to brag about demand after a price increase shows they think the same.

Doesn't matter what Nintendo or Xbox might do at this point, Sony knows they can do pretty much what they want. They have total control over the market and an army of supporters that will defend whatever they might do.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Here you go again with the same type of posts shitting on the PS5. How it's ugly, there's nothing to play and you don't understand why people want it.

How many times you're going to repeat yourself? Yesterday you were crying because the mods warned you but you can't control yourself. You have to let us know you don't want a PS5 every chance you get. We get it.

Enough already.
this 100000%

hes going to get ban or another warning sooner or later lol

I rather see an actual console warring post than a "stealth" one.
COWARD!!!

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yeah, I really wanted them to release a more powerful $599 console because i knew that people would buy it anyway. times have changed since 2006. People are willing to spend hundreds if not a thousand dollars on phones every two years. Kids spend more on fortnite skins than we did on games back in the day. Adults sub to have random women send them nudes. They spend $400 on iwatch. $200 on ear buds. $30 on breakfast that looks like this.

pgnqZ1s.jpg

they wouldve spent $599 for a $15-20 tflops console.
As a curiosity, today I went to a Russian restaurant, I ordered 4 canapés of red caviar, a ukha soup, a plate of Pelmeni and Medovik, 2 canned cokes... all for 30 dollars...

That breakfast in the photo is a scam or in Spanish..." Una mentada de madre" xD

Sorry Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage :messenger_fearful::messenger_crying:

i still don't understand why people are desperate for a PS5. anyway here the price rise is an extra £30. if you have £450 to spend on a gaming console in the current financial climate then what's an extra £30? i don't think sony should've raised prices and i'm by no means defending them but a £30 hike is not going to stop people who seem to be absolutely choking to get hold of a PS5.

i'm not buying a PS5 until we get a PS5 Slim, there are games that interest me, and while i'd like a price drop it doesn't seem like that's happening any time soon. i can afford to pay £480 for a PS5 but i'd get better use of my money by setting it on fire than buying a PS5 right now. i want games to play and a console that isn't a fucking eye sore to look at.

edit: and before i get branded an xbox fanboy. i am also waiting for a slim Series X, more games, and a price drop.

the looks are secondary. if PS5 had games i wanted to play then i'd buy it. i'd deal with how it looks. i'd stick it behind my TV or something. almost 2 years in to this generation i think it's fair to hold off and hope we get a slimmed down version. i'm in no rush to get either console so if i'm waiting another year i'll happily wait that long.

edit: i also thought the launch PS3 was ugly as fuck but it had games i wanted so i bought that ASAP.
I didn’t spend money on a ps5 to stare at it. It’s all about the games. People won’t stop buying a console if it has the games they want to play even if it’s ugly.

Next gen will definitely be $599 US dollars. But no one will be laughing.
At this point next gen is looking like it may start in 2029 or at least nearly a decade after this one so 600$ won’t be as bad as now.

That said…imagine being Sony in 2006 and announcing a 600$ console. It’s been 16 years and i still can’t think how they thought it eould go well for them lol.

Even at the increased price it’s still pretty good value for the lifetime of a console, so not really surprised. Been great to see increased supply too (eat shit scalpers).

Been tempted recently but still going to hold out for mid gen refresh. I just can’t abide the enormous monstrosity of it’s current form.

Sonys competition is itself at this point. The support they have is unrivaled and them being able to brag about demand after a price increase shows they think the same.

Doesn't matter what Nintendo or Xbox might do at this point, Sony knows they can do pretty much what they want. They have total control over the market and an army of supporters that will defend whatever they might do.

That's not true. Sony isn't a monopoly and they don't own the market. The competition is allowed to compete with them if they choose. It's why you don't see Sony behaving like a monopoly in this market. They always have the competition to keep them in check.

Drewpee

Banned
That's not true. Sony isn't a monopoly and they don't own the market. The competition is allowed to compete with them if they choose. It's why you don't see Sony behaving like a monopoly in this market. They always have the competition to keep them in check.
I didn't say Sony is a Monopoly but their only competitor is Xbox and we all know thats not much of a competition. The competition is trying to compete by offering a cheaper alternative in the subscription service model and not raising their price of consoles. Doesn't matter when Sony has become such a juggernaut.

Sony controls the direction of the industry. When they come out and say a price increase to both games and consoles was good for them it tells you everything you need to know. They are the market so it doesn't matter how greedy they might appear to non Playstation fans. They know the devoted fanbase has their back no matter what, it's been proven time after time. I don't blame Sony in the slightest, they are taking advantage of years of great service.

I didn't say Sony is a Monopoly but their only competitor is Xbox and we all know thats not much of a competition. The competition is trying to compete by offering a cheaper alternative in the subscription service model and not raising their price of consoles. Doesn't matter when Sony has become such a juggernaut.

Sony controls the direction of the industry. When they come out and say a price increase to both games and consoles was good for them it tells you everything you need to know. They are the market so it doesn't matter how greedy they might appear to non Playstation fans. They know the devoted fanbase has their back no matter what, it's been proven time after time. I don't blame Sony in the slightest, they are taking advantage of years of great service.

Isn't that the purpose of a competitive market? Not everyone is going to have equal market share. However the competitors with less market share have an opportunity to make the right decisions and improve their position in the market. Which Microsoft has done btw. Microsoft is affecting the direction of the industry with the choices that they made. It's not something that's exclusive to the market leader unless we are talking about a monopoly. Which Sony isn't.

I Master l

Banned
I know someone who work in a game shop in Saudi Arabia and he said that so many have walked away after forced bundle price has been said. There are a high demand for PS5 in my country but the prices are just insane, I'd rather build gaming PC over paying 800$ for PS5

Drewpee

Banned
Isn't that the purpose of a competitive market? Not everyone is going to have equal market share. However the competitors with less market share have an opportunity to make the right decisions and improve their position in the market. Which Microsoft has done btw. Microsoft is affecting the direction of the industry with the choices that they made. It's not something that's exclusive to the market leader unless we are talking about a monopoly. Which Sony isn't.
Sony dictates how far Microsoft can go in their version of competing. It became clear years ago Xbox would never compete with Sony in terms of console sales so they changed lanes and went the Gamepass route. Sony still disrupts that lane however by adding clauses to their agreements with publishers that actively ban them from adding games to Gamepass. They are fighting as we speak to stop Microsoft from buying a publisher that would allow them to grow Gamepass significantly. Whatever your opinion might be, that type of action speaks to the power Sony has in the industry.

That wasnt the point of my post, didn't mean to make you feel like you need to defend Sony. My point is Sony is so strong in the industry that they can do whatever they want with minimal to no backlash. As a company it would be in their interest (in my uneducated opinion) to keep testing their limits. Keep pushing profits until the market tells them to stop.

noise36

Giant ugly console, jacking the price after launch, forcing expensive bundles and yet no one cares, still selling very well.

Swift_Star

Banned
It hasn’t and it won’t. When you have a product that it’s THAT good, people will buy it it’s at a price they agree with, which seems to be the case here.
Just like people are happy to pay what they pay for iPhones.
Price is one of the less relevant points in a product.

Sony dictates how far Microsoft can go in their version of competing. It became clear years ago Xbox would never compete with Sony in terms of console sales so they changed lanes and went the Gamepass route. Sony still disrupts that lane however by adding clauses to their agreements with publishers that actively ban them from adding games to Gamepass. They are fighting as we speak to stop Microsoft from buying a publisher that would allow them to grow Gamepass significantly. Whatever your opinion might be, that type of action speaks to the power Sony has in the industry.

That wasnt the point of my post, didn't mean to make you feel like you need to defend Sony. My point is Sony is so strong in the industry that they can do whatever they want with minimal to no backlash. As a company it would be in their interest (in my uneducated opinion) to keep testing their limits. Keep pushing profits until the market tells them to stop.

Sony is far from that strong. Sony is actually making changes depending on what the competition is doing.

I know your assuming Microsoft is too weak to compete but that really isn't the case in this industry. They have been improving their situation regardless of what Sony does. There's plenty of evidence that Sony isn't dominating the market like a monopoly would.

If you can't accept that the market has healthy competition that's on you I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom