• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment/PlayStation Has Now Completed $3.7 Billion Bungie Acquisition!

tenor.gif

PanzerCute

For $3.7 billion they couldve made 18 Horizon FW and TLOU2 caliber games, and still have a $100 million left for hookers and cocaine.

But hey I am sure Bungie making Destiny 2 DLC for every console is a good investment for Playstation.
Marathon might be huge and Destiny is still a strong IP that prints quite a bit of money.

But I totally agree with you on whores and cocaine tho.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why was the Microsoft acquisition of Activision such a big deal but the Bungie deal is not? I legitimately don't know
Because Bungie only makes one game I guess?

twinspectre

For $3.7 billion they couldve made 18 Horizon FW and TLOU2 caliber games, and still have a $100 million left for hookers and cocaine.

But hey I am sure Bungie making Destiny 2 DLC for every console is a good investment for Playstation.
Or better yet, they could have bought team from Square Enix and its Ips like Fear Effect, Legacy of Kain, Tomb Raider, Gex, and or from other publisher they could have bought IPs like TimeSplitters, but NOPE they wanted to waste the money on a team like Bungie.

A.Romero

yep. we all know the experts at embracer know exactly what they were doing when they acquired all the studios under the sun and ended up closing half of them.
Haven't seen their results. Care to share? Or are you measuring based on closed studios only?

Also do you think Sony and Embracer's analysts are the same?

Codes 208

Why was the Microsoft acquisition of Activision such a big deal but the Bungie deal is not? I legitimately don't know
A developer vs an entire publisher

Look at it this way: with bungie, sony now owns
-destiny
-marathon

MS now owns
-call of duty
-crash bandicoot
-spyro
-overwatch
-wow
-diablo
-hearthstone
-tenchu
-starcraft

And thats not even half the list. Call of duty alone is already a major win for ms

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
At 500 million last year that amounts to 7.1 million copies of a full priced game. Would you be asking how much was the budget for that game?
Definitely not the one where xboxdynasty made up a rumor about it costing 500 million and the Franchise Director S Stinkles denied it immediately.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If the deal actually finally closed now (and not in 2022), looks like Sony didn't have a backout clause because they surely would had negated. If I was them, I'd pull the chute and bail. Paying $3.6B for a company spiraling down missing forecasts by 45%, delaying games and already laying off people they clearly overpaid. Bungie probably isn't even worth $1B.

At some point, dont be surprised if the accountants take a charge to reduce the value of the acquisition (via Goodwill on balance sheet).

Last edited:
A developer vs an entire publisher

Look at it this way: with bungie, sony now owns
-destiny
-marathon

MS now owns
-call of duty
-crash bandicoot
-spyro
-overwatch
-wow
-diablo
-hearthstone
-tenchu
-starcraft

And thats not even half the list. Call of duty alone is already a major win for ms

Why would they own Tenchu? They just published some titles in the West.

Afair the ownership is split between From and Acquire.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This makes me sick. Yes, this was over long ago, but it would have made so much more financial sense to get all those studios and IPs Embracer bought for a fraction of the price. MS and Sony should both be kicking themselves for that screw up.

Bungie is a shell of it's former self.

Last edited:

skit_data

Well, short term it no doubt seems to be an absolute catastophy of a purchase for that amount of money. Hopefully at least something worthwile will come out of it in the long term.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Annual revenue for Bungie last year was almost $500m.

This year its like half of that. Sony basically saved bungie. I would eat a big crow if it will ever be worth it for sony. I expect bungie to be independent before 2030.

yurinka

I'm sure that in 3-4 years from now this acquisition will be seen as a better deal than the one they did acquiring Insomniac.

Destiny 2 is already giving Sony a lot of money, Marathon broke records in Youtube and I'm sure will continue Bungie's tradition of being a super successful game and I'm pretty sure that their knowledge, tech and experience will be very helpful for many non-Bungie Sony games that will be released in the next years.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I'm sure that in 3-4 years from now this acquisition will be seen as a better deal than the one they did acquiring Insomniac.

Destiny 2 is already giving Sony a lot of money, Marathon broke records in Youtube and I'm sure will continue Bungie's tradition of being a super successful game and I'm pretty sure that their knowledge, tech and experience will be very helpful for many non-Bungie Sony games that will be released in the next years.

We had reports that bungie got alot of them delayed or cancelled. I doubt naughty dog needed assistance from bungie when the last time they had a 90 plus game was like 15 years ago.

Errr... Yes! It clearly IS!

Which is more profitable and provides significantly less risk for Sony:
  • 18x AAA games each requiring a $200+m investment with something like a 10 to 30% ROI when all is said and done, where many will fail to break even and will likely lose more money
    Or...
  • A bunch of shitty weapons skins in D2 that cost $5k of dev time to make and sell forever across a potentially ever-expanding userbase of perpetual live service game with something like a 1000000000% ROI

Last edited:

blue velvet

Worst acquisition they've done so far. This was more like a panic buying more than anything. Yikes. This is what zero COD does to a mf.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Sony First Party Studios have proven that they cannot deliver a hit FPS, one of the biggest genres in gaming.

With Microsoft aggressively taking Activision off the board, Sony needs to be able to compete with the fabled Cod-killer. If any studio has the pedigree to create a sensational FPS, it's Bungie. It's going to get interesting at mid-gen refresh.

Barakov

Sony kinda needs a strong first party multiplayer fps. Hopefully, Bungie can deliver. That Marathon extraction shooter ain't going to cut it.

blue velvet

Sony First Party Studios have proven that they cannot deliver a hit FPS, one of the biggest genres in gaming.

With Microsoft aggressively taking Activision off the board, Sony needs to be able to compete with the fabled Cod-killer. If any studio has the pedigree to create a sensational FPS, it's Bungie. It's going to get interesting at mid-gen refresh.
3b for one or two IP at max with no guarantee that it will be a huge hit? Bungie is not even worth 1b at this point. They could easily revive Killzone, Resistance, or even military based TPS game like SOCOM and Syphon Filter and develop them to have a robust multiplayer. Jim Ryan made a doodoo with this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom