• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has canceled a Twisted Metal live-service game that was in development at UK-based studio Firesprite

Perrott

Gold Member
This seems to be a recurring issue in the industry. Leads changing the direction of a game to the point where its unrecognizable from the original vision and bogging the game down in development hell.
Agree. The writing was on the wall for Twisted Metal:

Klq92SU.png

b61WMGz.png

Last edited:

SHA

How it's going to work ? I don't get It, Sweet Tooth living in a city like the joker movie, that's not going to work, the plot is too crusty without substances.

Nintendo has great studio management.

For this gen only, I'd definitely put MS 2nd place at this point. Then Sony in distant 3rd. Seems like they have no clue what they're doing, canceling projects constantly, exploding budgets and putting out less than everyone. Doesn't even seem close. MS has multiple games this year, and they will announce more at their E3 event. They have a more efficient pipeline at this point than Sony, and I don't know how that can even be debated. I think everyone owes Booty an apology. And this is with already putting everything on PC day 1, and starting ports to Switch and PS5, and running multiple service games.

Hulst seems like he should have been fired along with Booth. I don't know how you guys put up with it. Every game cancellation is potentially years lost. And they also just shut down a whole studio. They're a joke.
Releasing half-assed games from publishers you just bought and put them day one on your streaming service isn't a great strategy from Microsoft. That's literally why they are now going to be a 3rd party publisher altogether and why their console is failing in every metric possible.

Sony realizing one strategy isn't working while their games are in pre-production / early in development isn't a bad thing. If anything it shows they can correct and change course if necessary. That's also why they are paying close attention at Bungie right now.

This honestly seems like they will be doubling down on their AAA projects which i'm good for.

Admitting a strategy doesn't work and going for something that was working for you isn't bad in any way.

Fbh

This was one of the few Sony live service games I was looking forward to.
Though to be honest I do think it had a very high chance of bombing, most people just don't seem to care about car combat games anymore (but we haven't had a good one in a long time, so who knows)

As much as I love Twisted Metal, making it a "Live Service" game was not what I wanted from a new TM game. Hopefully the TV Show being pretty popular will make them look at a traditional TM game in the future.

Why not though?
Live service in the context of TM would just mean periodically getting new maps and cars/characters for free supported by cosmetic microtransactions and battle passes.

People acting like games still in early development getting cancelled is some new thing. We all knew there would be a lot of culling of their GaaS lineup long before today. It's probably the right move.

It was a serious question lol. It's honestly looking like Booty might be better at this than Hulst at this point. Anyway, nevermind.
I'm sorry this is a CRAZY take imo. Xbox has yet again had the weakest first party games compared to Sony and Nintendo this gen. This is while buying multiple publishers and studios and basically doing nothing the last couple of years of the Xbone gen.

In their defense though, I feel like first party has been real weak for everyone the last 5 years or so. Obviously some really good games but nothing like previous generations in terms of output

Sony you can fuck off you #¥€¥¢¥ing M$+_-$_+ing B€^=€

In the ass. Without any cream.

Been fucking wanted some of the PlayStation classics like Twisted Metal and Wipeout for so long. Fuck you for real.

And for what? To make more fucking budget for the last of the fucking retards and horizon forbidden fat bitch .

€°¥°¢^¢ fuck man I am irritated

So you would of been perfectly happy getting a shitty GAAS TM? Nobody wants that shit, especially not to a TM game. Wipeout, they havent mentioned that game since 2014...give it up, they never said they are bringing back any classics.

Ozriel

M$FT
At what point do we say that MS studio management has been more efficient this gen? I just want to be ready for that when the time comes and hell freezes over.

Let’s not go there.
Xbox management is an utter clownshow. Stopped giving them any slack after them managing to utterly screw up Turn 10 and Forza Motorsport.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Let’s not go there.
Xbox management is an utter clownshow. Stopped giving them any slack after them managing to utterly screw up Turn 10 and Forza Motorsport.
Well I went there. I didnt say that until today when we see the MS pipeline matured and lined up for this year and next, while Sony's is getting worse every year. Honestly its not even close.

Though to be honest I do think it had a very high chance of bombing, most people just don't seem to care about car combat games anymore (but we haven't had a good one in a long time, so who knows)

Why not though?
Live service in the context of TM would just mean periodically getting new maps and cars/characters for free supported by cosmetic microtransactions and battle passes.

Not quite car combat, but Rocket League is extremely popular.

I'm not convinced that a well made Twisted Metal game couldn't be successful in today's market.

It's funny to see Bungie get so much shit, but the real bad buy I think was Firesprite. I think Jim Ryan and SCEE didn't want to close down Studio Liverpool and when they got the chance they brought it back, but Firesprite has left a lot to be desired starting with Horizon Call of the Mountain. I gave them a pass largely because they almost certainly had to rush the game to make the deadline of the PSVR2 launch, but you could tell they had some issues when we haven't seen Twisted Metal despite the game being floated a while ago.

Guilty_AI

As much as I love Twisted Metal, making it a "Live Service" game was not what I wanted from a new TM game. Hopefully the TV Show being pretty popular will make them look at a traditional TM game in the future.
Racing games are the easiest to turn into live service. Just sell a bunch of car packs and cosmetics DLCs, its what most companies developing racing games do.

willothedog

Wonder how the market will react to all this bad news as PlayStation is the cornerstone of Sony. Several of the promised live service games cancelled, layoffs, studio closures, Madame Web.... 😲

StereoVsn

This seems to be a recurring issue in the industry. Leads changing the direction of a game to the point where its unrecognizable from the original vision and bogging the game down in development hell.
One would then hope the “leads” would be first in line in the layoffs since they wasted money and time. But that’s not how things work unfortunately.

It wouldn't have been good anyway. Go back to the drawing board, make something good! Stop "doubling down" on GaaS. God it's so gross.

Sony can't seem to run their UK studios for shit and given how important we've historically been for them and how many senior figures have come through from the UK, it really is fucking baffling to me.

Sony London have really been used for tech demo's and research since they canned Eight Days and The Getaway 3. (Both huge mistakes tbh, the studio needed help, they canned it because it was the easy option.) Sony mismanaged Cambridge Studio, they let Psygnosis become Studio Liverpool and then basically have free reign to do whatever - and when the teacher came into the classroom wondering why nothing was being done, it must REALLY have felt like this GIF:

pizza-delivery-community.gif

Fuck knows what happened with Manchester Studio.

BigBig were closed.

Evolution Studios were harshly punished in my opinion, for a project I think Sony forced to be out of a deadline and then suffered the consequences of that, having already been badly hurt by the postponement of MotorStorm Apocalypse after the Japan Earthquake.

Media Molecule have been riding the coattails of a BAFTA and LittleBigPlanet from 2008. It feels like they've been given way too wide a berth. They haven't really been as productive as a lot of PlayStation Studios and it feels like they try to recreate the wheel or doing something weird and wacky with each game.

That said, I love Twisted Metal and I'm really sad to hear this has happened. Once again Sony diss one of my favourite franchises and another UK studio.

Last edited:
Ironically this sounds like an example of great Studio management if Jason's article is correct that it wasn't green lit because of being stuck in development hell

Why not though?
To be honest, I'm just not a fan of GaaS / Live Service games in general. Constantly wanting me to engage with the game daily with challenges or spend extra money on seasons or the latest battle pass to try and keep up with all the kids that just play 24/7, etc.

I'm older now, so I don't have time for that crap these days, I'm more of a fan of single player games with a traditional multiplayer mode. I might not play for days or a week sometimes when I'm busy and I have a ton of games to play already, without having to sink hours and hours into a single online game.

Twisted Metal worked great as a traditional single player / multiplayer game, it was just an easy pick up and play type of game, whenever I wanted a quick blast and that's what I would want from a new TM game if they ever make another now.

Also a big problem now is there are already a lot of GaaS games fighting for people's attention and Sony are clearly having second thoughts about this stuff now, as we see plenty of these Live Service games fail.

Racing games are the easiest to turn into live service. Just sell a bunch of car packs and cosmetics DLCs, its what most companies developing racing games do.

I guess but as someone who loves Twisted Metal but hates all that kind of cosmetic stuff and Live Services games in general, I'm kinda glad Twisted Metal is not going to join the ranks of "another disappointing failed GaaS game"

nikos

Great, one of the few games I've been wanting to see a sequel to forever and live service would've been great for it. I would have bought it day one on PC, even on PS5 if that was the only option

Last edited:

drganon

For this gen only, I'd definitely put MS 2nd place at this point. Then Sony in distant 3rd. Seems like they have no clue what they're doing, canceling projects constantly, exploding budgets and putting out less than everyone. Doesn't even seem close. MS has multiple games this year, and they will announce more at their E3 event. They have a more efficient pipeline at this point than Sony, and I don't know how that can even be debated. I think everyone owes Booty an apology. And this is with already putting everything on PC day 1, and starting ports to Switch and PS5, and running multiple service games.

Hulst seems like he should have been fired along with Booth. I don't know how you guys put up with it. Every game cancellation is potentially years lost. And they also just shut down a whole studio. They're a joke.
4867e9fe7dd01479fb59a1853399114ad4822cd5e642f946f0a356470941193f_1.jpg

Reminder: PlayStation literally bought both studios after being impressed with those games.

What has been London Studios most financially impressive game in their 20+ year history?
I mean, they bought Bungie and partnered with former CoD developers through Deviation Games.

i would said that this drama is "yuge" but i believe is going to be for the best. and sony wil stay winning.

Dang- well hopefully we see some Twisted Metal soon. Miss the genre

Twisted Metal
Socom
Jet Moto

Im ready to get new entries. As a service or not.

It was always weird to have a European studio with no connection to Twisted Metal working on Twisted Metal.

I think we have the same problems with SOCOM.

There is no real obvious choice for a studio to work on these games. No one who works there now is connected to these games.

Reminder: PlayStation literally bought both studios after being impressed with those games.

What has been London Studios most financially impressive game in their 20+ year history?

I think that is why Bend is still alive. Syphon Filter was successful for the time, they made some really solid PSP games that had they been built on PS2, might have been really successful. Day's Gone sold a lot of copies.

Media Molecule should probably be shut down, but Dreams reviewed really well. LBP sold really well for the time as well.

London Studios has never been successful. That they were still around was mind-boggling given the cost of the area. They should have been shut down before Japan Studios.

Sony was always overbought on the UK. They're probably overbought in California and maybe in Washington.

Would like to see more talent from Japan, Korea, Poland, Canada, e.t.c.

I wonder if Marathon will get shitcanned
I don't think so. It is the only thing left for Bungie to redeem themselves BUT the road to release is going to be a clusterfuck thats for sure.

i think bungie right now is like this:
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

all of this shit is like Sony saying: We bought you to help us and you have been a fucking burden to us

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think that is why Bend is still alive. Syphon Filter was successful for the time, they made some really solid PSP games that had they been built on PS2, might have been really successful. Day's Gone sold a lot of copies.

Media Molecule should probably be shut down, but Dreams reviewed really well. LBP sold really well for the time as well.

London Studios has never been successful. That they were still around was mind-boggling given the cost of the area. They should have been shut down before Japan Studios.

Sony was always overbought on the UK. They're probably overbought in California and maybe in Washington.

Would like to see more talent from Japan, Korea, Poland, Canada, e.t.c.

It was always the horrible, horrible middle management. Staggeringly terrible and mostly a bunch of total cunts.

And they'd seemingly always fail upwards... Cronyism run rampant.

xrnzaaas

Weird decision to cancel the game when that they have a tv show now and could capitalize on both mediums coexisting... maybe it really wasn't working as a gaas title.

Woopah

I'd definitely still put Sony in clear 2nd place. Its only recently that MS has pulled things together, while Sony has had multiple well received games this gen. To be clear I'm also including studios that these publishers partner with but don't own.

Last edited:

Bond007

It was always weird to have a European studio with no connection to Twisted Metal working on Twisted Metal.

I think we have the same problems with SOCOM.

There is no real obvious choice for a studio to work on these games. No one who works there now is connected to these games.

Agree, we just gotta hope they pass these IP's to passionate groups, maybe some ex employees from former teams, and just a feel for what made the originals special. Thats alot to ask.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'd definitely still put Sony in clear 2nd place. Its only recently that MS has pulled things together, while Sony has had multiple well received games this gen. To be clear I'm also including studios that these publishers partner with but don't own.
"Well received" largely by overspending on graphics to the point that it's hurt the company. I wont deny they have higher rated games. But their output is literally a trainwreck at this point, and they just cancelled more projects. MS is not as bad as that this gen. They're putting out way more, on more platforms, and supporting service games, and doing it with better margins.

What most people suggest Sony do is go for more AA stuff. Well their ratings and scores could go down from that to the 80s, and that's what MS is already doing. A game like Spider Man 2 doesn't do anything worth a 90+ rating without that extra money spent on graphics. Just compare Spider Man 2 to Hi-Fi Rush which is a far better game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom