• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has canceled a Twisted Metal live-service game that was in development at UK-based studio Firesprite

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Jack Daniels Whiskey GIF by ALLBLK

//DEVIL//

Sony you can fuck off you #¥€¥¢¥ing M$+_-$_+ing B€^=€

In the ass. Without any cream.

Been fucking wanting some of the PlayStation classics like Twisted Metal and Wipeout for so long. Fuck you for real.

And for what? To make more fucking budget for the last of the fucking retards and horizon forbidden fat bitch .

€°¥°¢^¢ fuck man I am irritated

Last edited:
This is good news. Please cancel every live service game that isn't already more or less completed and go back to drawing board for late stage PS5/PS6 single player exclusives with potential tact on multiplayer.

There was nothing wrong with games like Killzone 2/3, Resistance, SOCOM, MAG, Uncharted 2 with it's additional and simple multiplayer. We just want fun games again.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Been fucking wanted some of the PlayStation classics like Twisted Metal and Wipeout for so long. Fuck you for real.

And for what? To make more fucking budget for the last of the fucking retards and horizon forbidden fat bitch .

A new twisted metal yeah! Gaas ? Fuck no!

And the other games you brilliantly put it .. I agree.. fuck those.

jumpship

Shame, was looking forward to the reveal of this. Especially with Season 2 of the TV show already announced.

Edit: So the project was actually some ways off. Hope the affected staff find work soon.

Last edited:

SNG32

This is good news. Please cancel every live service game that isn't already more or less completed and go back to drawing board for late stage PS5/PS6 single player exclusives with potential tact on multiplayer.

There was nothing wrong with games like Killzone 2/3, Resistance, SOCOM, MAG, Uncharted 2 with it's additional and simple multiplayer. We just want fun games again.
They should have been going this route. God of War, Spider-Man 2 and Horizon should have had a multiplayer element to it.

Roxkis_ii

Been fucking wanted some of the PlayStation classics like Twisted Metal and Wipeout for so long. Fuck you for real.

If your looking for a wipe out fix, Redout and Redout 2 hits those same notes (sifi future racing on crazy tracks with a banger sound track).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nintendo's the one that hasn't fired anybody and actually released games.
Nintendo has great studio management.

For this gen only, I'd definitely put MS 2nd place at this point. Then Sony in distant 3rd. Seems like they have no clue what they're doing, canceling projects constantly, exploding budgets and putting out less than everyone. Doesn't even seem close. MS has multiple games this year, and they will announce more at their E3 event. They have a more efficient pipeline at this point than Sony, and I don't know how that can even be debated. I think everyone owes Booty an apology. And this is with already putting everything on PC day 1, and starting ports to Switch and PS5, and running multiple service games.

Hulst seems like he should have been fired along with Booth. I don't know how you guys put up with it. Every game cancellation is potentially years lost. And they also just shut down a whole studio. They're a joke.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
At what point will that have happened? They definitely are putting out more games, more new IP, more service games, and canceled less projects so far.

This is why I'm asking when.

Did you hit your head?

A console launch with no new exclusives. A whole year later they released two new games in long running franchises and one of them fell on its face. They had a completely lackluster 2022. In 2023, their three big games all failed to meet expectations. One of which was an absolute disaster. We have a 2024 in which we know of one actual release date for a game announced 5 years ago. Where is Everwild? Perfect Dark? Fable? State of Decay 3?

PlayStation released plenty of games so far this gen. Yeah. I'd sure say their management took a hit recently. But sorry to tell you, it would take years for someone to say with a straight face that Microsoft did it better. Honestly, you'd have to be retarded to say it now.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Before anyone jumps the gun on this...seems like the title was barely in development:

So probably not much money was spent on this.

Huh. That's interesting. Could've sworn "credible sources" said otherwise last year.

In any case, at least PlayStation's course correcting and being aggressive in doing so. A lot of others wouldn't.

Killjoy-NL

Socom and MAG were multiplayer-focused games and would most definitely be GaaS.

Perrott

Gold Member
According to Jason, the game had not been given the greenlight after a long while in development and ex-Firesprite employees talked last year about how one of the team's titles was trapped in development hell, with a lack of direction from leads who'd alter the design constantly.

Knowing that Twisted Metal was nothing but a glorified prototype, I have nothing to lament from the cancelation.

Unknown?

For this gen only, I'd definitely put MS 2nd place at this point. Then Sony in distant 3rd. Seems like they have no clue what they're doing, canceling projects constantly, exploding budgets and putting out less than everyone. Doesn't even seem close. MS has multiple games this year, and they will announce more at their E3 event. They have a more efficient pipeline at this point than Sony, and I don't know how that can even be debated. I think everyone owes Booty an apology. And this is with already putting everything on PC day 1, and starting ports to Switch and PS5, and running multiple service games.

Hulst seems like he should have been fired along with Booth. I don't know how you guys put up with it. Every game cancellation is potentially years lost. And they also just shut down a whole studio. They're a joke.
But it's not any different than before. They've cancelled projects since PS1. Microsoft only puts out more because of the massive buyouts. Nothing from their legacy studios.

fart town usa

Gold Member

I find no issue with this. Sony's saving grace at this point is their market lead and getting exclusives from 3rd parties. 1st party isn't all trash but it's underwhelming as F.

Varteras

Gold Member
According to Jason, the game had not been given the greenlight after a long while in development and ex-Firesprite employees talked last year about how one of the team's titles was trapped in development hell, with a lack of direction from leads who'd alter the design constantly.

Knowing that Twisted Metal was nothing but a glorified prototype, I have nothing to lament from the cancelation.

This seems to be a recurring issue in the industry. Leads changing the direction of a game to the point where its unrecognizable from the original vision and bogging the game down in development hell.

Top Bottom