• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has canceled a Twisted Metal live-service game that was in development at UK-based studio Firesprite

As much as I would have loved to see another Twisted Metal, this cancelation is probably for the best.

At least we still have Season 2 of the show to look forward to.

Mr Hyde

This one was surprising. I thought the game was ready to go. It was supposed to coincide with the new show, but got delayed. And now it's canceled and wasn't even greenlit? What the fuck is going on with Sony?

Woopah

"Well received" largely by overspending on graphics to the point that it's hurt the company. I wont deny they have higher rated games. But their output is literally a trainwreck at this point, and they just cancelled more projects. MS is not as bad as that this gen. They're putting out way more, on more platforms, and supporting service games, and doing it with better margins.

What most people suggest Sony do is go for more AA stuff. Well their ratings and scores could go down from that to the 80s, and that's what MS is already doing. A game like Spider Man 2 doesn't do anything worth a 90+ rating without that extra money spent on graphics. Just compare Spider Man 2 to Hi-Fi Rush which is a far better game.
Graphics contribute, but they are not the main reason their games are so successful commercially or critically.

They had a very very good 2022, but they do seem to lack major hitters for 2023 and 2024.

In terms of AA, they just had a massive AA success with Helldivers 2. And they have 2 more AA titles coming very soon with Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Graphics contribute, but they are not the main reason their games are so successful commercially or critically.

They had a very very good 2022, but they do seem to lack major hitters for 2023 and 2024.

In terms of AA, they just had a massive AA success with Helldivers 2. And they have 2 more AA titles coming very soon with Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin.
All 3 of those look interesting to me, and all 3 aren't developed at Sony. They can't lay off anyone from any of those development studios. I'm talking about Sony 1st party games made with Sony staff. Their 1st party development pipeline and strategy, under Hulst.

twilo99

At what point do we say that MS studio management has been more efficient this gen? I just want to be ready for that when the time comes and hell freezes over.

Well but that wouldn’t be true. What is actually happening is that the whole industry is in shambles, so everyone involved is affected to a certain extent, where obviously the more exposed you are, the bigger the impact on the business, but the big difference is the following..

If Xbox is struggling, it’s strictly by their sheer incompetence, noting to do with external factors.

If Sony is struggling, well that’s mainly the industry of course, nothing to do with Sony…

It exposes all the little fan boys that pretend to be something else.. it’s really amusing.

They will go as far as telling you that you need to be paying $150 per game just so they can justify Sony’s “strategy” of blockbuster single player Marvel games…

Last edited:

JaksGhost

All 3 of those look interesting to me, and all 3 aren't developed at Sony. They can't lay off anyone from any of those development studios. I'm talking about Sony 1st party games made with Sony staff. Their 1st party development pipeline and strategy, under Hulst.
Now THIS is moving the goalpost. Should we also remove all Insomniac titles before acquisition as first party titles? What about Housemarque pre 2021 and all of those AA games they were churching out solely for PlayStation? Sony’s history has always been a mix of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party developers creating exclusives for them.

Last edited:
Agree, we just gotta hope they pass these IP's to passionate groups, maybe some ex employees from former teams, and just a feel for what made the originals special. Thats alot to ask.

That's where I think teams like Ballistic make a lot of sense. You have staff from the original studio who are still interested in the IP.

Firesprite could have and should be focused on original IP or Liverpool IP.

I could not fathom why Sony had lucid make destruction all stars rather than have a studio make a new destruction derby game.

I think Sony has a lot of valuable IP but without connection to most of it, these IP are generally dead.

I've speculated that maybe PHYSINT from Kojima is actually Syphon Filter. I feel like he could take over Syphon Filter as there were a lot of similarities with Metal Gear Solid. There was this kind of trio of franchises in Metal Gear, Splinter Cell, and Syphon Filter. I think Kojima could revive the franchise in his own way, that makes sense for the franchise and for Kojima as if the franchise was always his.

Like if you made a MGS6 but instead of Snake it is Gabe Logan. It's a pretty easy substitution. Snake and Gabe Logan have a lot of similarities, especially early on. Pretty easy to avoid copyright while utilizing a known brand.

Sony has created more new successful IP than Nintendo in the last 5-10 years...

Obviously, today isn't great news for Sony, but I wish we could have fact-based discussions on things.

Sony is having growing pains. I've criticized Sony and I've praised them. People need to try to be objective and keep their biases, agendas, and politics out of reasoned analysis.

Through first and second-party development

Ghost of Tsushima
Helldivers
Horizon
Death Stranding

and to a lesser extent
Day's Gone
Returnal
Until Dawn
Bloodborne

They've also revitalized or rebooted

God of War
Gran Turismo

And found tremendous success with Spider-Man

All of this in the last 10 years...

Woopah

Having games developed by partner studios is very usual. Nintendo also have years where not much is developed internally, but that doesn't mean they have bad studio management.

Sony's major studios put out a lot in 2020 to 2022, so obviously it will take them for their next games to be ready. Their GAAS approach can definitely be criticised, but they are still doing better than MS.

Guilty_AI

Are these games that successful though? They don't strike me as scoring particularly high in either player retention or social adequacy.
They made plenty of money for what they costed, thats what matters. Beamng in particular is probably the most popular and highest rated driving game on steam, videos of it are also very popular in social media, as in 50-100M views

Last edited:

NEbeast

Sony you can fuck off you #¥€¥¢¥ing M$+_-$_+ing B€^=€

In the ass. Without any cream.

Been fucking wanting some of the PlayStation classics like Twisted Metal and Wipeout for so long. Fuck you for real.

And for what? To make more fucking budget for the last of the fucking retards and horizon forbidden fat bitch .

€°¥°¢^¢ fuck man I am irritated
Season 5 Episode 10 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Been fucking wanting some of the PlayStation classics like Twisted Metal and Wipeout for so long. Fuck you for real.

And for what? To make more fucking budget for the last of the fucking retards and horizon forbidden fat bitch .

I'm with you. I want a proper Twisted Metal like part 2. Doesn't seem like we'll ever get it, Sadly.

MarkMe2525

After being mightily disappointed with Twisted Metal 3 and Black, I never played a Twisted Metal game again. This is until a few weeks ago, this is when I discovered that Twisted Metal PS3 is surprisingly competent. I haven't put much time into it yet, but I was impressed enough to make a backup of it on my HDD and put it on my to-do list. My point is, my idea that Twisted Metal could never be good again was wrong, and this news disappoints.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Sucks i loved the TM series as a kid :(
Ditto. I was so addicted to the original Twisted Metal, and then 2 when it dropped. Twisted Metal Black took everything to new heights. I really wish the last game was better than it was, but I was hoping we'd get a new game that was even better, or was at least something in the vein of Black. I feel it'll happen at some point, but this was pretty upsetting to see.

Lunarorbit

This, horizon online, and factions were the 3 gaas I was interested in checking out. After they shit out destruction Allstars I thought this would be a great series to relaunch especially after the tv show

poodaddy

Would've been so DOA. Absolutely nobody wanted this enough to warrant its existence.

How many of their dozen are axed now?
Lmfao
That 70S Show Lol GIF by Laff

yurinka

Getting people fired and games cancelled always suck, but I assume this makes more likely what I always wanted from Firesprite: a new Wipeout (or after that, Motorstorm) game.

Maybe the Twisted Metal, Wipeout or Motostorm themselves don't have enough popularity to justify a new game.

But how about an arcade combat racing crossover new IP that would merge/reboot their universes merging them with other Sony IPs that would match somewhat futuristic or racing ones?

I mean they could mix:
  • Wipeout
  • Rollcage
  • Jet Moto
  • Twisted Metal
  • Motorstorm
  • Killzone
  • Horizon
  • Destiny
  • Concord
  • Marathon
  • Helldivers
Making it in terms of (light) lore a prequel for most of them showing early stages of some of their factions, companies or vehicle types or a more futuristic sequel/take for other ones. No need for any character from these IPs, the main pilot would be made with a character editor, and the vehicle customizable via upgrades.

The gameplay would mix Wipeout, Motorstorm, CRT and Mario Kart. Post launch content with new circuits, music tracks, vehicle types, parts and teams/paintings/decals for the vehicle. No pay to win, meaty single player campaign with a bit of narrative for each team/brand, casual non too frustrating multiplayer content, competitive eSports friendly MP content.

Honestly never was able to conceptualize how a car combat game made sense in the new era of multiplayer we see booming.
Mario Kart 8 sold 60M units so far, plus GaaS post launch paid stuff. On a not so big scale, recent Sonic and Crash combat racing games performed well too, and I'd bet the Gameloft Disney game too (they are very successful with Asphalt).

Opening it to non combat arcade racing games NFS sell very well, reached 150M copies ages ago, may be closer o 200M being one of the best selling gaming series ever. Forza Horizon performed well, pretty likely outside Minecraft, Bethesda and ABK they are the best performing MS series in recent times.

Sony has the racing "sims" market covered with Gran Turismo, but lacks a big seller arcade racing series, more family/casual friendly for the mainstream, probably in combat racing category. Has some good names regarding brands with nostalgia for some fans, with potential for movie/tv show/anime adaptations so it would be nice to bring them back with a new game, but never achieved massive sales so it's hard to justify them. That's why I thought it could be a good idea to merge them in a crossover.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Broski, Rocket League is way more soccer than car combat. I would never equate the two in a million years.

Twisted Metal feels more like the (lame) deathmatch mode in Overwatch. I don't see the hook today.

That's the new twist. It can be done, if you are creative. People aren't playing Rocket League and expecting to play actual virtual soccer game. The car combat is part of the joy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Mario Kart 8 sold 60M units so far, plus GaaS post launch paid stuff. On a not so big scale, recent Sonic and Crash combat racing games performed well too, and I'd bet the Gameloft Disney game too (they are very successful with Asphalt).

Opening it to non combat arcade racing games NFS sell very well, reached 150M copies ages ago, may be closer o 200M being one of the best selling gaming series ever. Forza Horizon performed well, pretty likely outside Minecraft, Bethesda and ABK they are the best performing MS series in recent times.

Sony has the racing "sims" market covered with Gran Turismo, but lacks a big seller arcade racing series, more family/casual friendly for the mainstream, probably in combat racing category. Has some good names regarding brands with nostalgia for some fans, with potential for movie/tv show/anime adaptations so it would be nice to bring them back with a new game, but never achieved massive sales so it's hard to justify them. That's why I thought it could be a good idea to merge them in a crossover.
So you'd turn it into a combat racer? I mean, I guess? I feel like those never really pop off unless you're Nintendo. The theme feels too violent and combat focused to do a genre switch like that but maybe?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's the new twist. It can be done, if you are creative. People aren't playing Rocket League and expecting to play actual virtual soccer game. The car combat is part of the joy.

I would argue the soccer aspect of Rocket League accounts for 99.73% of that games success.

"Car guy" and "sports guy" are rarely the same person. Rocket League is a sports game through in through.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Nintendo's the one that hasn't fired anybody and actually released games.
I think everyone should be looking to nintendo right now ...even if their approach personally is not for me ... but there's a middle ground between completely outdated shit graphics/perfomance and always chasing state of the art graphics ... graphics has reached a point where great games can be created without breaking the graphics bank. Thats just mho.

yurinka

So you'd turn it into a combat racer? I mean, I guess? I feel like those never really pop off unless you're Nintendo. The theme feels too violent and combat focused to do a genre switch like that but maybe?
Read the post again, it has non-Nintendo successful examples. Games obviously don't need to sell 60M to be successful.

Other than that, as I remember since the first Mario Kart many games of that series had in addition to (combat) racing game modes, an arena combat focused game mode: the one of the baloons. So Sony could do the same: a racing focused mode and combat focused mode.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Read the post again, it has non-Nintendo successful examples.

Other than that, as I remember since the first Mario Kart many games of that series had in addition to (combat) racing game modes, an arena combat focused game mode: the one of the baloons.

The games you listed were Mario Kart, Need for Speed, Forza Horizon, and Gran Turismo.

We're talking about Twisted Metal becoming a non combat racer now? That doesn't make any sense.

yurinka

The games you listed were Mario Kart, Need for Speed, Forza Horizon, and Gran Turismo.

We're talking about Twisted Metal becoming a non combat racer now? That doesn't make any sense.
I also mentioned Crash Team Racing, Sonic racing games, Wipeout etc.

My idea wasn't to make a Twisted Metal game.

It was to to make a new crossover arcade combat racing Sony IP that in terms of gameplay would merge Mario Kart (or CTR, Sonic Racing, Disney Speedstorm) + Wipeout, adding Motorstorm stuff like the nitro/healthbar, destructible environments, differerent vehicle types and secondary goals. It would also have a non-racing combat focused game mode like MK, Wipeout or Twisted Metal.

Regarding vehicles, teams, tracks, universe etc would include stuff from many Sony IPs that would fit because of being arcade (sometimes combat) racing or futuristic. No licensed cars from GT or Driveclub, only Sony owned stuff.

To make it more cohesive in terms of artstyle and lore, in many cases these vehicles etc would be redesigned to make them more futuristic as if it was a sequel in the future (Motorstorm, Twisted Metal etc.) or a less futuristic take as if it was a prequel (Wipeout, Horizon, Marathon, Destiny...)

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I also mentioned Crash and Sonic racing games.
I didn't catch those. You could be right but I think Mario Kart, Crash, and Sonic are targeting a much different demo than Twisted Metal.

I don't think people want to play as characters anymore. They want to be the character.

yurinka

I didn't catch those. You could be right but I think Mario Kart, Crash, and Sonic are targeting a much different demo than Twisted Metal.

I don't think people want to play as characters anymore. They want to be the character.
Again, I wasn't talking about Twisted Metal game. I'd keep Twisted Metal buried.

I meant that now that Sony killed Twisted Metal, I think it would be way better to make instead a Sony somewhat futuristic racing crossover game with this studio, which has a lot of former Wipeout, Evolution and Bizarre Creations staff.

Which would have stuff from many popular or classic Sony IPs mostly for vehicles/vehicle parts/vehicle teams/vehicle skins. And one of them could be Twisted Metal. Meaning, one of the vehicle types could be a futuristic take on that horribly designed ugly clown's van.

Last edited:
Top Bottom