• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony gearing up for new cloud gaming push (Verge)

feynoob

Banned
I don’t like that Sony is being reactive to GamePass.

I know people love GP because of “free” games, but I still believe it won’t succeed in the long run.

Hopefully Sony do something clever and innovating in a way that benefits everyone.
Whether you like it or not, that is the future that we are heading.
Consoles would be obselete. Subscripton services and cloud gaming will take off, since they are cheap to set for consumers.
Look at current gen console numbers. They will take years to hit 100m. Few more years and you will have to repeat those cycles again.

Consoles would be obselete. Subscripton services and cloud gaming will take off, since they are cheap to set for consumers.
Look at current gen console numbers. They will take years to hit 100m. Few more years and you will have to repeat those cycles again.
just like phones.

Banned
Consoles would be obselete. Subscripton services and cloud gaming will take off

I stand by what I said in other threads, Cloud gaming will become completely obsolete in the future, because the hardware power will outgrow the manpower required to fully saturate it.
and with hardware becoming cheaper and more powerful, cloud gaming will become a useless complication instead of simply playing locally.

Godot25

Banned
Why not?
I mean. Currently I want to play those coveted PS exclusive games, but I have no use for second console. So currently I'm paying 0$ per month to Sony.
But give me PS5 cloud support, android app for cloud gaming and you got customer paying 15$ (or whatever PS Plus Premium monthly cost is) per month.

feynoob

Banned
I stand by what I said in other threads, Cloud gaming will become completely obsolete in the future, because the hardware power will outgrow the manpower required to fully saturate it.
and with hardware becoming cheaper and more powerful, cloud gaming will become a useless complication instead of simply playing locally.
Mate, cloud will become the future and hardware will become obsolete.

Look at smart tv. They over taken normal TV's and DVDs players. Cloud will do the same.

MS and Sony currently are spending enormous amount of money just to make these hardwares. Cloud will save them alot of money, due to the service being a software and not a device which they need to sell on stores.

TrebleShot

Bring it on, installed content is quite a barrier.
Buying, downloading and installing a game can be quick on fast connections but lets be honest its beginning to feel quite old.

Instant access is amazing and on any device is the future.
Less plastic boxes, less power consumption, less expensive giant graphics cards or consoles.

I think its ready to begin the push.

trikster40

I think they meant this kind of cloud gaming:

giphy.gif

Cyborg

Just give me PSP2 where Cloud is part of the deal! I want to be able to play physical games and download games. Heck even digital-only would be good enough.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well I guess since Playstation is running on Azure, they probably get that offered by MS, to keep their mouth shut.

Goalus

Playing locally will always be more cumbersome because it will require local storage and updates must be downloaded. VR and AR will require cloud streaming at some point when the headset becomes smaller and smaller.

Every week-end when I open the Play Store on my phone, I see 40 app updates waiting to be downloaded which is a huge turn-off. I'd prefer all local apps to be progressive web apps so that I don't have to download updates on a regular basis.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Bring it on, installed content is quite a barrier.
Buying, downloading and installing a game can be quick on fast connections but lets be honest its beginning to feel quite old.

Instant access is amazing and on any device is the future.
Less plastic boxes, less power consumption, less expensive giant graphics cards or consoles.

I think its ready to begin the push.

So far all these cloud gaming services have been failures with regards to the number of people using them and the number of games available. Google killed Stadia, yet MS and Sony still offer cloud gaming services but the vast majority of their customers aren't interested. There's no indication at all that cloud gaming is gaining traction. And even if gamers would start to flock to cloud gaming services, I've not seen any evidence that cloud gaming is actually profitable. I've got the impression that MS and Sony are in it because of FOMO and don't want to be left behind if cloud gaming suddenly takes off.

Spyxos

Gold Member
ya, its good but just not as good as local. i used it to play destiny from my macbook for a couple months. was fine.
It's was so good that I didn't really notice that I wasn't playing locally. However, I also used 3080/4080 tier. It is probably still not good enough for multiplayer games, but single player games are more than decent.

feynoob

Banned
So far all these cloud gaming services have been failures with regards to the number of people using them and the number of games available. Google killed Stadia, yet MS and Sony still offer cloud gaming services but the vast majority of their customers aren't interested. There's no indication at all that cloud gaming is gaining traction. And even if gamers would start to flock to cloud gaming services, I've not seen any evidence that cloud gaming is actually profitable. I've got the impression that MS and Sony are in it because of FOMO and don't want to be left behind if cloud gaming suddenly takes off.
Because cloud gaming is in a subscription form right now.
If they adopt stadia model, cloud gaming will skyrocket in an overnight.
Just wait for them to adapt that B2P model

Last edited:

nkarafo

Come on, guys. We all know cloud is the future, every company has to start moving towards it. If you try GeForce Now you would be surprised how well it works. Casuals won’t even be able to tell the difference.

The future of gaming seems bleaker and bleaker.

yurinka

As we have seen with Xcloud the process of setting up the amount of PS5s in the sky needed to supply the needs of streamers is long. MS is still diverting wafers for Xcloud and this is making supply issues for the XSX.
We are talking years before Sony would have a working system.
The process of Xcloud is the same exactly process of PS4 and PS3, and very likely will be the same for PS5 when Sony considers it's he time to stream PS5 games, a process that Sony has patented.

Pretty likely if Sony still haven't included PS5 in the cloud was because they prefered to prioritize to sell its games over having them in game subs and cloud gaming, and because Sony only puts some of their games in their game sub, and way after the game release (maybe it's still too soon). Sony maybe also wanted to put all available PS5 hardware being sold to consumers in console until they matched the huge, unsatisfied demand they had out there blocked by chips shortages.

Before XSX was announced, Sony already mentioned that their next gen plans for PS Now included to stream PS5 games, and to bring their cloud gaming to mobile and smart tvs, plus other changes that we already saw (bring it to more countries, change its pricing and make its offering more appealing, improve streaming quality, etc).

I don’t like that Sony is being reactive to GamePass.
Sony isn't reactive to GP. Sony is simply implementing their long term plans for cloud gaming they announced 10 years ago, way before GP and Xcloud existed. Sony's cloud gaming and game subs were also released way before GP.

Last edited:
$100 with oled screen or no buy.

It's gonna be like $300 and DOA tho, maybe the 1 guy with a logitech cloud will buy it
Honestly, if there isn't much hardware in the damn thing I could see it going for a fairly low price, at least I am hoping so lol $100 might be a bit farfetched, but $150-$200 for a device might actually be possible. I just hope they don't make the damn thing gigantic. I think Switch Lite is a pretty good size, maybe even slightly smaller would be cool.

With that being said, it's not really a product for me but I could see a lot of ppl really liking it. I've given "portable" gaming a try on numerous occasions, it just wasn't for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I understand they already did this is, my point is that even if they announce that they are going to do this today, it's going to be years down the track before it can even turn on.
I don't see Sony diverting millions of PS5 wafers to put in server blades when they have only just managed to get ahead of their own supply issues.
MS still has supply issues because of it and they have been doing Xcloud for years.
They are not going to announce anything "today" for years down the line. You will get a showcase or a blog post with "PS5 Games Now Added to Streaming." As they did with the PS4. I can bet they already have the blades tapped out with the lower fab spec and ready to go as we speak.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sigh, with all the PC, subscription, GaaS focus, this is just another layer of stupidity that didnt pan out for MS. I dont know why they think they can succeed where MS failed.

Everyone thought mobile was the next frontier. Look at how that turned out.

Focus on making games for the few users who are willing to pay $500 for your console. Not the people who wont even buy one.

Isn't this specifically designed for people that already have the $500 console?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

That’s according to CEO Jim Ryan, who claimed during a business call on Tuesday that the PlayStation firm would reveal its plans “over the course of the coming months”, without elaborating further.

“We observe mobility in gaming habits to be an increasingly important trend, and the cloud will be fundamental to allowing us, or indeed anybody else, to exploit that trend,” he said.

“Unfortunately, today is not the place for me to disclose these plans, but we do have some fairly interesting and quite aggressive plans to accelerate our initiatives in the space of the cloud that will unfold over the course of the coming months.”

X-Wing

Good on them to start preparing for an inevitable shift.
I have a pretty good experience streaming games from their cloud service at the moment, and the tech can only improve. With 5G becoming more and more available it would be a mistake to not take advantage of it for gaming portability.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Good on them to start preparing for an inevitable shift.
I have a pretty good experience streaming games from their cloud service at the moment, and the tech can only improve. With 5G becoming more and more available it would be a mistake to not take advantage of it for gaming portability.
Not inevitable and their wonts be a shift this is like thinking theryl be a shift to VR or the metaverse just cuz its new

cloud gaming is crud and always will be internet speeds will never be fast enough worldwide

SeraphJan

Q as a local streaming device could come into handy (if they price it correctly)

However if they are using this device to push cloud gaming, count me out, I won't be using that feature

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I don’t get why so many people on this forum are so allergic to cloud gaming.

A lot of the issues that were prevelant a year , two years or even 6 months ago are being addressed and it’s actually very viable way of playing.

I will give you an example.

Forza Horizon 5 - I have game pass and it’s installed on my PC so I have three options to access that game.

1. Native, boot up my pc, go to desktop, open game pass , click game, wait for updates if there are any and play in crisp 4k60/120.

2. Local Streaming, boot up my pc, grab my phone with a backbone or Logitech g cloud or steam deck open moonlight, connect to pc, launch game from launcher and adjust fps and res.

3. xcloud, open xcloud on any device, press play.

You see how that is a different experience and far more sleek and streamlined to accessing games what’s more is you can do it for the monthly fee without any hardware to run the game locally so it’s like £7.99 a month or 2/3k on a gaming PC.

Sure there are downsides like you’re only paying for access but that’s always going to be the case unless you buy games physically which is going way of the dodo anyway because of ease of access and availability.

The tides are shifting , it won’t take over wholesale soon but it will grow and grow and grow it will be huge soon enough.

Please of your worried about lag and quality try the premium GeForce now sub for a month.

Or better yet try Moonlight with your local PC for a taster.

With AI the improvements to lag and quality will vanish within a year or two.

Don’t forget xcloud is still in beta and sony will likely build on the lessons MS learnt from it as it will use the same baseline tech.

Flutta

Banned
Stadia showed us that you can sell games through a cloud service.
That is the future of gaming, whether you like it or not.
These companies aren't going to waste billions of dollars selling consoles, when there is a free software app which people can use it on their TV and computers. That option is cheaper and cost less than consoles.
Stadia also crashed and burned.

I personally hopes this Cloud garbage never takes off and everyone of them has the same fate as OnLive, and Stadia.

I don't care if the option is cheaper or not, that's not my problem. You show me a compelling product and i'll listen otherwise take your renting garbage and fuck off!

BootsLoader

Banned
If it is 200$ or below with cloud gaming, I could buy this just to play games anywhere. But more than that, I don't think so.
Obviously, they can make money from subscriptions on this thing so they can price it low.

I personally hopes this Cloud garbage never takes off and everyone of them has the same fate as OnLive, and Stadia.
OnLive was bought by Sony, like Gaika, and both kinda merged and became the foundation of PS Now- at least they sucked some patent stuff out of it. Only Stadia stopped without anyone doing something with it.

I don't understand why anyone would hope that anything doesn't take off. It's an option you don't have to use, but if others see any benefit in it, why do you care?

The natural next step is to offer PS5 games via stream. Which of course would also be marketed a bit as a new feature of the Premium tier. But since PS4 visuals already take quite a hit- the crsip FHD is basically gone and we are almost at PS3 levels-, I wonder how high the required data rate needs to be, to not make it barely different than a PS4 game. If it is looking the same and even is a cross platform game wasting energy for a version that doesn't even look different would be weird. Getting rid of PS3 server blades would also be necessary some day in the soon future. The existing ones won't last forever. So at least with PS6 they should have BC, unless they can order new Cells once in a while for a few very expensive units every few years.

X-Wing

OnLive was bought by Sony, like Gaika, and both kinda merged and became the foundation of PS Now- at least they sucked some patent stuff out of it. Only Stadia stopped without anyone doing something with it.

I don't understand why anyone would hope that anything doesn't take off. It's an option you don't have to use, but if others see any benefit in it, why do you care?

The natural next step is to offer PS5 games via stream. Which of course would also be marketed a bit as a new feature of the Premium tier. But since PS4 visuals already take quite a hit- the crsip FHD is basically gone and we are almost at PS3 levels-, I wonder how high the required data rate needs to be, to not make it barely different than a PS4 game. If it is looking the same and even is a cross platform game wasting energy for a version that doesn't even look different would be weird. Getting rid of PS3 server blades would also be necessary some day in the soon future. The existing ones won't last forever. So at least with PS6 they should have BC, unless they can order new Cells once in a while for a few very expensive units every few years.

This really depends on your location and internet connection. In terms of visuals I have an almost as good as native experience when streaming to the PS5.

feynoob

Banned
Stadia also crashed and burned.

I don't care if the option is cheaper or not, that's not my problem. You show me a compelling product and i'll listen otherwise take your renting garbage and fuck off!
Stadia was a compelling product. The owner of the product wasn't so much.

This tech allows you to play your games without having to download anything. You can easily switch your games without any problem. And don't have to waste your money buying a new console every gen. That money could be used to buy new games.

This really depends on your location and internet connection. In terms of visuals I have an almost as good as native experience when streaming to the PS5.
It's good enough for me too, but I'd expect 4k compressed loses what makes 4k 4k, even more so than compressing FHD. At least imho PS3 games look closer to native than PS4 games do. Might also be due to PS3s probably have spearate streaming devices on top of the PS3s while PS4 have to handle it themselves.

Depends possibly also on the game. I think racing games are hurt more for some reason, while eg Avengers or Batman Origin look alright.
Maybe I am imagining something that is not even in there but streaming on PC with that HW accelerated whatever included looks better than streaming PS4 on PS4.
I guess PS5 games would need to run on a more advanced compression. But since remote play already exists, the tech is already defined and I might have chosen a bad example, just started it once, but it did not look nice and that was without location and long internet connection lines.

Top Bottom