• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Are Fools To Bypass E3 2019, Says Michael Pachter.

Helios

If they have nothing new to show, why attend? They're wasting both our time and their money.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo droped E3 presentation long time ago. They just have play camps there and make livestream (Nintendo Direct) in the same time as E3 with imo work so well for then.
I remember when Nintendo had E3 presentation just like Sony and Microsoft.
Fair enough. You have the right to believe that, but it''s technically incorrect.

If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo won E3 2017. And they had no press conference. Now, how can a company win an event they're not a part of?

The most important part of E3 is the showfloor. Ever since the beginning, with Super Mario 64, the showfloor is the real deal. The conferences are PRE-show. And Nintendo always has a pre-show event in the form of a video. It's the same damn thing. They participated in all E3s.

Last edited:

pr0cs

He's not wrong. The cost is a pittance compared to the publicity. But then this is arrogant Sony who is handily in the lead and don't feel any need to put resources in a transition year marketing.

The same guy who said that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo were quitting the video game business last gen.

Don't believe anything Pachter says.

Last edited:

Akuza89

Well let's be honest here, if they don't have anything to show why bother coming? to show off DLC for games? to show us the last of us 2, again? most stuff can be done through releasing individual videos, new game announcements are what E3 is all about and I don't think sony has anything they want to show at E3.

However, this could also be their way of trying to say they don't want to show their new stuff at E3 this time around? either that or they legitimately don't have anything new to show.

MilesTeg

Banned
I'm convinced that Sony skipping E3 next year is a ruse against Microsoft.

Sony wants to keep Microsoft guessing (and probably Nintendo too at this point as Nintendo is rapidly gaining market share).

No E3, holiday "PS5 tease". Right now it's anyone's guess what their plans are.

I'm confident this is a one time deal, not because they don't have games, but because the next generation is coming and they want to keep their competitors guessing.

Fake

Fair enough. You have the right to believe that, but it''s technically incorrect.

If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo won E3 2017. And they had no press conference. Now, how can a company win an event they're not a part of?

The most important part of E3 is the showfloor. Ever since the beginning, with Super Mario 64, the showfloor is the real deal. The conferences are PRE-show. And Nintendo always has a pre-show event in the form of a video. It's the same damn thing. They participated in all E3s.

Yes and no. Nintendo 'droped E3' for good, but they're still there for gameplay e etc...
When Nintendo announced they gonna stop making E3 showcase many sites posted the same sittuation as Sony now. 'Nintendo its out of E3', 'Nintendo will stop going to E3', 'E3 Nintendo no more', etc...

Pachter goes into more detail in Pachter Factor #126.

He talks about how MS, EA, Activision and so forth are also stupid or at least shortsighted because of what they are allowing to happen to the ESA.

Ten_Fold

Sony don’t have any games to really show, this gen is pretty much over for them, they might do a psx next year to announce the ps5 maybe or wait till E3 of 2020. This is good for Microsoft though, they can start talking more about what kinda things they are going to do and also announce the rumored $99 Xbox one.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sony don’t have any games to really show, this gen is pretty much over for them, they might do a psx next year to announce the ps5 maybe or wait till E3 of 2020. This is good for Microsoft though, they can start talking more about what kinda things they are going to do and also announce the rumored $99 Xbox one.

I see a shit load of games coming from Sony that shows this gen is in no way over for them.

But you are right Microsoft can keep TALKING about what the THINGS they are GOING to do while I keep playing killer games from Sony.

And this is from someone who loves his Xbox One X, I am just tired of all of Microsofts talk.

Jeff D

Neo Member
Quite a bad idea for Sony to miss E3 as it gives MS the chance to show off all the multi-plats that would have been split with Sony.

is this also a sign that the licence agreements Sony have with most all multi-plats for extra content have come to an end?

Ten_Fold

I see a shit load of games coming from Sony that shows this gen is in no way over for them.

But you are right Microsoft can keep TALKING about what the THINGS they are GOING to do while I keep playing killer games from Sony.

And this is from someone who loves his Xbox One X, I am just tired of all of Microsofts talk.
Outside of the ones being shown already I’m not sure about anything else, I just want good games from Microsoft and Sony I don’t pick sides so I’m more interested in what Microsoft can talk about an what they have planned for the future.

Jeff D

Neo Member
If E3 2019 is going to be more like E3 2018 then the entire event should be cancelled as 2018 was IMO one of the worst years.

Let's see how everybody did:

2. MS - was a decent show, but still had little in the way of first party content. The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer had everyone happy.

what you on about. Ms easily had the best show, while Sony's was lacklustre at best.

Fake

what you on about. Ms easily had the best show, while Sony's was lacklustre at best.
Presentation performance? Microsoft. Sony had a horrible presentation for sure.
Games? Still Sony.

Last edited:

mad597

Banned
I do not think this kind of language is conductive to any sort of rational conversation. Console discussions? Fine. Calling a group of users names and/or treating them like idiots just stimulates shitty console warring tabloid style... please stop!
For a change he is right. Sony think they are above the industry and it revolves around them. And of course brain dead Sony fans stan for Sony no matter what they do. Sony could shit in a bag and sell it and Sony fans would call it the second coming.

Their was a game industry before Sony and their will be one after Sony.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For a change he is right. Sony think they are above the industry and it revolves around them. And of course brain dead Sony fans stan for Sony no matter what they do. Sony could shit in a bag and sell it and Sony fans would call it the second coming.

Their was a game industry before Sony and their will be one after Sony.
A great 2019 resolution for you would be to try just once in your life to make meaningful posts that promotes discussion instead of your usual fanboy/hater trolling.

Your posts are nothing but whining about Sony and their fanboys.

mad597

Banned
If E3 2019 is going to be more like E3 2018 then the entire event should be cancelled as 2018 was IMO one of the worst years.

Let's see how everybody did:
1. EA - show was pretty much crap as I expected it to be. EA is clearly a company run by suits with no understanding of gamers. Anthem is looking less and less like a good game.
2. MS - was a decent show, but still had little in the way of first party content. The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer had everyone happy.
3. Bethesda - Oh my god this show was terrible with Rage 2 being the only thing great. Fallout 76 being such a disaster had made this show much much worse in hindsight. Bethesda really should have done Fallout 3 Anniversary as I would have played that many times over.
4. Sony - The Last of Us 2 looked fun, but that's about all there was to say.
5. Ubisoft - No Splinter Cell tanked this show for me and I know a lot were disappointed that it didn't make an appearance.

Short sighted people like you think E3 is just the press conferences.

Last edited:

mad597

Banned
Drive by attacks and other snarky one liners (STFU, for example) are something we can avoid. General warning ladies and gents ;)!
A great 2019 resolution for you would be to try just once in your life to make meaningful posts that promotes discussion instead of your usual fanboy/hater trolling.

Your posts are nothing but whining about Sony and their fanboys.

STFU

Texas Pride

Banned
With social media and the advancements in networking globally I just don't think a physical E3 presence is as important as it used to be. I think Sony is realizing that you don't need to dump money and production value into E3 in order to show your fans what you're cooking up. The future is ultimately everyone doing their own thing separate from everyone else imo. That is to say E3 as we know it today is living on borrowed time.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

I dunno what to make of this.

I'm of 2 sides. Like I get it from Sony's side. If they were going to show off Horizon 2 as the next big game at E3 for instance, they would have to essentially reveal the PS5. Probably 1 or 2 other first party games. Sony isn't ready to do that. They have 3 big first party games left. They showed them off already. They won't release before E3 2019, and I don't think they want to be accused of showing "the same games" over again.

On the other hand, E3 is huge, and I think it exposes a lot of people who only have 1 system or maybe no systems at all to check out games they didn't know about. For me for instance, I don't buy Nintendo products. But I always check out their E3 to see what they bring. Unfortunately they have leaned really hard into showing only 1 game off, so I tune out pretty fast.

In the end, I think they are making the right decision.

PS4 had a pretty poor launch line up for quite a while. I don't think Sony want to make that mistake again. They want to come out of the gate absolutely swinging. So they are saving ALL the announcements that were going to be there for PSX and E3, and making one big mega show that will show off some PS4 games, but more importantly, reveal the PS5 and some games.

MayauMiao

Sony will do just fine and don't need to do E3 when they can simply stream big press events via youtube, twitch, or PlayStation Experience for maximum coverage from the press.

DonF

If sony thinks that they dont have enough material for a big show, I would be happy with a ¨Direct¨ style video. I dont think its a bad choice, they know better and more than pachter.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm sure they'll announce the Last of Us II release date after E3 week and people will over look the fact that they missed out on E3.

WaterAstro

Pachter is pretty on point here imo.
Sony as a company rarely admit to shortcomings. I agree that they largely just decided to take their ball and go home.

They'll be back once they've got games to show though.
No, it's E3 that dropped the ball in recent years. Shawn Layden openly criticized the ESA's poor handling of the last E3 with how they handled non-industry ticket entries which bogged up E3 to the point where they could not function efficiently for media outlets, so it's not even worth attending if they will keep up the same shtick.

I find him annoying, especially considering he is so well versed in the financials of the industry. Just because they aren't doing E3, who says they wont do something on their own. You dont need E3 to raise hype. All they need to do is post a teaser 30 seconds video of a silhouette of a part of the PS5 and say absolutely nothing and they will get millions of people talking about it and speculating for months. E3 is a dying breed especially considering thanks to the internet, we get most leaks days before they get announced. They can literally just announce a logo of Uncharted 5 on a wednesday afternoon and everyone will go nuts. We already know what the big 3 games are for this year, obviously they will promote them getting closer to a release date, they dont need E3 to announce a trailer or date.

Also by doing this, they got the competition second guessing, everybody is now expecting a PS5 announcement so they might want to do theirs before to steal the thunder but thats how they will reveal their cards while SONy will just watch and change if need be to be on top. Remember the xbox One reveal? It was so bad that obviously nobody at SONY knew how it was gonna go but they used all their mistakes to make their presentation even stronger. You know they didnt have that game sharing video planned. MS messed up and they overnight made the video for sure just to put salt on the wound. MS did a great job with 360 and it launched a year earlier as a better console which is crazy. You know they dont want to be second in line again which will make them reveal their cards early again and SONY is just going to adjust to that.

Considering how crap, useless and a waste of everybody's time e3 was in 2018, I don't see how Sony are fools to skip such a dead event. Quite the opposite.

IMO Pachter threads should be bannable. I mean, the guy has absolutely ZERO credibility, he's worse than VGChartz, Fudzilla and sorts combined, a random average Joe asked on the street has way broader knowledge about video games industry for god's sake.
He's less of an average Joe than even gaming journalists. What are their credentials? A writing degree to tell us all things about the industry? How does that prove to us that they know anything about the industry? Look at phillip miucin. So all I have to do is be like phillip, get hired at ign, vote for a game of the year for goeff's show and presto, I know about games because I write. If pachter is consistently wrong he's out of a job. If ign is wrong, then nothing.

Thats just economics at its core. There are no guarantees. So obviously credibility is minimal because their work is based on things that haven't happened yet by using predictions from past trends mixed with business acumen. Dont assume anyone is credible. Take everything with a grain of salt because even the most intelligent industry veterans will have a gap in knowledge somewhere and will be making educated guesses, just like pachter.

If they have nothing new to show, why attend? They're wasting both our time and their money.
Because like pachter said, it's still 15 million in advertising, socializing, making friends and making deals. If you're the king you gotta show up and have people kiss the ring.

Mikey Jr.

Because like pachter said, it's still 15 million in advertising, socializing, making friends and making deals. If you're the king you gotta show up and have people kiss the ring.

Sony isn't stupid. They know how important e3. They brought an orchestra for fuck sakes, lol. They are the only ones that really try to put on a show every year, regardless of the games.

Skipping e3 probably wasn't an easy decision. I'm sure it wasn't a coin flip. They understand the poor optics it has skipping e3 and how that looks.
But I'm sure there is a purpose behind it.

If they were in last place this Gen and really struggling, then I'd be worried about them skipping e3. Them trying to save money to stay afloat or whatever.

But this is the ps4. Close to 100 Mil sold, fp games selling amazingly and winning gotys, making money hand over fist.
They are on top right now.

Skipping e3 came as a shock to me, but honestly, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Let's see what they do with 2019.

Mikey Jr.

I’ve said this in the other thread about Sony skipping E3 but I’m going to repeat it here.

It’s silly of Sony to skip E3 all together.

Even if they decided to not have a press conference, they should have maintained a booth for ppl and press to play games at their booth.

I can get with it, if they didn’t want to do a presser, no booth though, that is terrible.

Maybe Sony legit hates e3 and wants to reduce its significance, even if it costs them a bit.
Shawn layden doesn't seem like he has too much love for it.

Sony leaving e3 is going to hurt for sure. They had the biggest booth there and a lot of the multiplats.

Mikey Jr.

This would be exproportionally stupid. It’s a one time thing.

The multiplats will still be there, and the space Sony used to take is already sold to other partners.

Its the biggest video game press briefing of the year. Just the interviews they do are a giant chunk of some sites stories for the rest of the year.

There’s going to be so much buzz and Sony getting none of it.

They have the data, we don't.

/shrug

They've been doing it for 22 years. I'm guessing they know something we don't.

FranXico

When asked about why he thought Sony had skipped PlayStation Experience in 2018 as well, Pachter said that it was a combination of not having new things to show, and gearing up for the next generation. “Again- no games,” he said. “So I think it’s all related to gearing up for the next generation console.

I had no idea this guy was a console warrior, just someone who gets more predictions wrong than right.

FranXico

Since you are so good, you should run out and get your MBA and get hired by themjust to show him up,

That’ll learn him for being a predictor!.

Plus it will put a bunch of money in your pocket, for doing nothing but analyzing stocks.
His main job probably has nothing to do with these predictions, so that's why he does alright. I guess remembering his track record makes me petty though.

You sure told me, big guy!

Last edited:

odhiex

I still believe that there are many smart peoples @ Sony, and I don't think their plan to skip E3 this year was miscalculated. They might be wrong tho, but I would never imagine that it is a dumb move.

I would suspect that Sony might reveal their 2019 plans soon, maybe February. We might see a return of somewhat "bigger PSX" and new format presentations (direct style). Since they are the market leader, Sony can afford of trying new things. They may succeed or failed but it is not going to dent sales since they potentially have heavy hitters across 2019-2020.

I also think the full PS5 reveal event would be held in early 2020 tho we may see hints about the project around this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom