• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Are Fools To Bypass E3 2019, Says Michael Pachter.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/sony-are-fools-to-bypass-e3-2019-says-michael-pachter

According to Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, though, 2019 is a one-off occurrence, and doesn’t mean that Sony are going to be absent from E3 beyond 2019 as well.

While speaking with GamingBolt, Pachter said that Sony missing E3 2019 is a bad decision on their part, but that they will be back at E3 sooner rather than later. “I think it’s a one-off,” he said. “I think they made a bad decision. I think they somehow internally determined that the money’s not well spent- and they’re wrong. I don’t know what they spend on E3, but even if it’s $15 million, they get $15 million of publicity out of it. So I think they’re fools to bypass the show. And they’ll be back.”

Pachter was also critical of Sony’s E3 2018 conference – which was roundly criticized for its bizarre and misguided experimentation, in spite of great showings for games like Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part 2, and announcements for titles like Resident Evil 2 and Nioh 2.

“They had that stupid walk-through that nobody understood, and it just wasn’t fun. And I think they probably spent a ton on that,” he said. “And they’re very much guys who don’t acknowledge that they did anything wrong, so they just take their ball and go home, because it didn’t work well.”

When asked about why he thought Sony had skipped PlayStation Experience in 2018 as well, Pachter said that it was a combination of not having new things to show, and gearing up for the next generation. “Again- no games,” he said. “So I think it’s all related to gearing up for the next generation console. They’ll probably announce the next-gen console in Spring of 2020, and have their own event- maybe they’ll call it PSX. Maybe there’s a PSX in December of 2019, and they announce their next-gen console then.”

Foxbat

Banned
Pachter is pretty on point here imo.
Sony as a company rarely admit to shortcomings. I agree that they largely just decided to take their ball and go home.

They'll be back once they've got games to show though.

Dargor

First post delivered this thread can be closed now.

Now seriously, I would say it was a bad call too, they'll really need to show some good stuff when they do show it.

hecatomb

Banned
Dont know why it matters, nintendo doesn't care about E3 also. Im guessing Sony is going to have their own show now, like nintendo does

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its not an unreasonable take made in absence of any information about what Sony's marketing plans are for 2019.
I think it'd be wiser to withhold judgement until after the fact though, because obviously its value as a showcase is massively dependent upon what happens both before and after.

My feeling is that what Sony have planned is a short but intense ramp up to PS5 launch, probably with a big reveal showcase shortly after E3 2019 with a launch date preceding E3 2020. I'm pretty much convinced at this point they are intending to beat MS to market regarding next-gen platforms, the trick for them is building this without tanking PS4 sales in holiday 2019.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
He sayed the same think when Nintendo drop E3 too?

I dunno what you're talking about. Nintendo hasn't dropped E3..

And I agree with Michael Pachter this one time. E3 is very important.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I like Pachter and I think he is dead on here. Dumb move to skip E3 and have nothing to replace it.

Mattyp

Gold Member
They'll be showing the same games they have for the last 3 years and have been savaged their last two shows. So I can see their reasoning, but gives up massive news cycle and mindshare to Microsoft and Nintendo.

Dante83

Banned
I was disappointed in sony's past few E3s. They had the games, but their presentation and pacing is weak. I was secretly hoping that they pull out because it was so bad last year. PSX 2017 was also pretty boring and weak. I am not worried about them showing their next gen console or their games, but they really need to step up the hype and presentation aspect of their shows. They can have their reveals and all, but the lack of pacing, having a charismatic talker and hype could kill the excitement.

Grinchy

Banned
That last Sony E3 really was odd. I was extremely confused while watching it. What they did actually show looked awesome, so there was at least that, but the format was nonsensical. I kinda don't mind them skipping E3 and doing their own thing. They could boil what they want to show down into a simple video more like a Nintendo Direct for all I care. Watching someone play a 1000 year old flute for 5 minutes isn't what I'm tuning in for.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pachter's a lot more tolerable now. His show is honestly almost always charming and informative. He seems like he toned down most of the snark and is much nicer in his videos.

Petrae

It’s only partially a cost-saving move. It’s also a face-saving move after E3 2018 was such an embarrassing display. After a debacle like that, it’s good to take a year off and regroup.

Live press events/keynotes are well past their prime, anyway. It’s fucking annoying to sit through the screaming crowds, awkward stage transitions, technical blunders, staged “demos” with cringeworthy gamer speak, and execs spewing meaningless words. Nintendo got it right with Directs; edited for time, cutting the fluff and pointless pomp, and letting the games speak for themselves. I still painfully recall that shitty Bethseda event from last year, with the cringey forced dialogue and the musical performance that seemingly went an hour too long.

Maybe Sony comes back for E3 2020 to roll out the PS5, which would make sense. Otherwise, given that the PS4 is sunsetting and that we’ve pretty much seen the trump cards that Sony will play in the platform’s closing days, I get why Sony execs said “Not this year.”

Hopefully, Sony execs also had a nice long chat/shouting session at the people who orchestrated its E3 2018 show... because that shit was abysmal.

ruvikx

Banned
Pachter's a lot more tolerable now. His show is honestly almost always charming and informative. He seems like he toned down most of the snark and is much nicer in his videos.

I always found the console flamewars caused by his comments highly entertaining, so I guess I'm on the Pachter train irrespective of whatever he says because really, it's just videogames - not a United Nations summit. Pachter is at his best when he pokes the fanboy bear & makes the internet explode with rage. As for Sony, I assume the real pissed off party involved is the E3 expo itself because without the PlayStation brand, it's just another Microsoft conference with a sprinkling of Nintendo. E3 needs Sony more than Sony needs E3, even though I still don't get what Sony "gains" by actually skipping it.

Killer751

Banned
I've only ever seen Pachter comment on Nintendo's increasing irrelevancy in the market. I find his analysis to be correct, but for the wrong reasons.

I have no idea about what he thinks of Playstation in general though.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I like Pachter, sue me. Guy isn’t always right but it’s great to hear more about the business side of things rather than all of the bullshit, misguided social justice championing, and politics we get from game journalists.

As far as the topic at hand, sure — it’s pretty obvious Sony doesn’t have anything they can show right now. They’re probably stuck in a weird limbo between not being able to reveal their new hardware and their upcoming current gen games still not having any solid release dates, soo... what are they gonna do? Pat themselves on the back for a generation well won? Nah, they’re gearing up for the next fight, plotting, and they’re gonna come out swinging, I’m sure.

Last edited:

Fake

I dunno what you're talking about. Nintendo hasn't dropped E3..
Nintendo droped E3 presentation long time ago. They just have play camps there and make livestream (Nintendo Direct) in the same time as E3 with imo work so well for then.
I remember when Nintendo had E3 presentation just like Sony and Microsoft.

Last edited:

Moses85

This guy is the most famous person in the videogame sector. Because he is the biggest moron. Respect pal

Boss Mog

The only fool is Pachter who has been proven wrong time and time again. I can only wonder how he's still employed.

ZywyPL

Banned
IMO Pachter threads should be bannable. I mean, the guy has absolutely ZERO credibility, he's worse than VGChartz, Fudzilla and sorts combined, a random average Joe asked on the street has way broader knowledge about video games industry for god's sake.

Mozza

Well he will certainly know about being a fool,but on serious note does anybody take anything he says with any credibility anymore?

Ovek

7Member7
Sony want to completely control any press narrative when they announce the PS5 hence why they will announce it at its own show. Why that is remains to be seen... are they worried about the performance of the next Xbox or have quite a few launch titles been delayed beyond the launch window? We will all find out soon enough.

Well he will certainly know about being a fool,but on serious note does anybody take anything he says with any credibility anymore?

People in the industry do and that’s all that matters.

Last edited:

GMan72

Neo Member
Since everything this guy says happens in reverse... I'm going to go ahead and say that when it's all said and done, it'll turn out to be a brilliant move by Sony.

thelastword

Banned
So confirmed that it was a good idea that Sony bypassed E3 2019?
Ha, this is now a meme......

Microsoft can finally move back to the Monday morning slot :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Ha, succint!

The crazy thing is, if Nintendo and MS skips E3 next year, then some of the people who believe Sony skipping E3 is a cardinal sin will probably be on here saying that E3 was a waste of time and money anyway.....:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Not if all the money promotions for and the setting up of E3 is now dedicated to promoting quarter one releases of exclusives such as Dreams and Days Gone.

mejin

he knows shit about sony plans for this year. that's why he continues to be a joke. but hey, he gets money to talk shit, this I respect.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo droped E3 presentation long time ago. They just have play camps there and make livestream (Nintendo Direct) in the same time as E3 with imo work so well for then.
I remember when Nintendo had E3 presentation just like Sony and Microsoft.
The showfloor is more important to Nintendo than the pre-show conferences. And it has always been.

They still do a pre-event, which like you said, is just a direct, but it's still tied to E3. They never left E3 in any capacity. The pre-show is online, but it's still a pre-show, and it's E3.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If E3 2019 is going to be more like E3 2018 then the entire event should be cancelled as 2018 was IMO one of the worst years.

Let's see how everybody did:
1. EA - show was pretty much crap as I expected it to be. EA is clearly a company run by suits with no understanding of gamers. Anthem is looking less and less like a good game.
2. MS - was a decent show, but still had little in the way of first party content. The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer had everyone happy.
3. Bethesda - Oh my god this show was terrible with Rage 2 being the only thing great. Fallout 76 being such a disaster had made this show much much worse in hindsight. Bethesda really should have done Fallout 3 Anniversary as I would have played that many times over.
4. Sony - The Last of Us 2 looked fun, but that's about all there was to say.
5. Ubisoft - No Splinter Cell tanked this show for me and I know a lot were disappointed that it didn't make an appearance.

VAL0R

Banned
MS may try to make an even bigger splash to take full advantage of Sony's absence. I could see it being a marketing error on Sony's part, but who knows.

I think Sony would be dumb if they were skipping out on E3 entirely, but they are more than likely going to do something like Nintendo. For E3 enthusiasts it does suck though.

Top Bottom