• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces 2008 / Early 2009 PS3/PSP Line-up

Jammy said:
But yeah, none of that stuff will light any charts on fire or excite people all that much. Killzone continues to be the Red Steel of the PlayStations, Motorstorm really only sold well because it was bundled everywhere, and Resistance 2, while most likely AAA, will just be bought by the same people that enjoyed the first.

This dammitmattt is what I was talking about when I talked about the new breed of "gamer".

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Not an impressive lineup at all. MGS4 and Resistance 2 are the only things to get really excited about, where the hell are the RPGs?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is Sony Japan having an event this year like they did last year around this time?
And wasn't Square Enix supposed to have an event this month?

evilone

EA Employee
Kagari said:
Is Sony Japan having an event this year like they did last year around this time?
And wasn't Square Enix supposed to have an event this month?

Yes SCEI will have an event this year at their own time.

SolidSnakex said:
This dammitmattt is what I was talking about when I talked about the new breed of "gamer".

Could you be more ignorant?

I've been playing games for 20 years and I've had just about every major system during that span at launch. I've owned 6 PS3 games, about 10 Wii games, and who knows how many DS/PSP/360 games. I actually play games, as evidenced by my gamercard:

dammitmattt.png

In addition to playing a shitload of games, I'm also interested in game sales. What's wrong with that again?

Mifune

Mehmber
dammitmattt said:

I've been playing games for 20 years and I've had just about every major system during that span at launch. I've owned 6 PS3 games, about 10 Wii games, and who knows how many DS/PSP/360 games. I actually play games, as evidenced by my gamercard:

dammitmattt.png

In addition to playing a shitload of games, I'm also interested in game sales. What's wrong with that again?

I don't think he was insulting you.

Bigmac573

Banned
Coin Return said:
Not an impressive lineup at all. MGS4 and Resistance 2 are the only things to get really excited about, where the hell are the RPGs?
I'm guessing you've never heard of Valkryia Chronicles. Also, LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout and SOCOM aren't anything to get excited about? Talk about jaded...

dammitmattt said:

That above comment had nothing at all to do with you. I was just referring to the people who seem to get much more enjoyment out of sales than they do games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bigmac573 said:
I'm guessing you've never heard of Valkryia Chronicles. Also, LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout and SOCOM aren't anything to get excited about? Talk about jaded...

Valkyria is amazing. If you're looking for a RPG on the PS3 this year, Valkyria is for YOU

KGKK

Banned
Where the fuck is The Agency and Infamous. I was really interested in those titles. And why is Home not listed? Come Sucker Punch, you were never slow before.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KGKK said:
Where the fuck is The Agency and Infamous. I was really interested in those titles. And why is Home not listed? Come Sucker Punch, you were never slow before.

Not everything is being shown today.

batbeg

KGKK said:

Wasn't Infamous officially delayed to 2009 a while back, or am I just thinking of Prototype?

SolidSnakex said:
That above comment had nothing at all to do with you. I was just referring to the people who seem to get much more enjoyment out of sales than they do games.

You called me out specifically. Obviously, with the amount of games I play I get more enjoyment out of sales.

batbeg

dammitmattt said:
You called me out specifically. Obviously, with the amount of games I play I get more enjoyment out of sales.

He didn't call you out on anything. He was saying "this, dammitmattt, is an example of blah blah blah" referring to the quote he quoted.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
batbeg said:
Wasn't Infamous officially delayed to 2009 a while back, or am I just thinking of Prototype?

Prototype was pushed to 2009. Nothing has been said of Infamous since E3 last year. I'm thinking this year they'll have it playable.

Mifune

Mehmber
dammitmattt said:

He was pointing out to you that the guy he quoted was one of the new breed. Not that you were.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
antiloop said:
I am disappointed. WKC?

I hope Square Enix announces FFXIII for Japan soon at least. Beginning of 09. :p

White Knight is probably going to be shown at the SCEJ event. I don't think SCEA would show something Japan is working on before they've even shown more of it in Japan.

KGKK

Banned
antiloop said:
I am disappointed. WKC?

I hope Square Enix announces FFXIII for Japan soon at least. Beginning of 09. :p

You should be used to it if you bought a PS and PS2. For the PS2 I remember the RPGs didn't start coming in till like 2 years after it's release.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KGKK said:
You should be used to it if you bought a PS and PS2. For the PS2 I remember the RPGs didn't start coming in till like 2 years after it's release.

Yep. But then they all started coming in, especially after FFX, or FFVII for the PS1.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jammy said:
I don't think the list is that disappointing, minus the PSP support. Yeah, SCEJ needs to produce for their floundering system, but there's other stuff in there. I just wish there were more adventures or RPGs in there.

But yeah, none of that stuff will light any charts on fire or excite people all that much. Killzone continues to be the Red Steel of the PlayStations, Motorstorm really only sold well because it was bundled everywhere, and Resistance 2, while most likely AAA, will just be bought by the same people that enjoyed the first.

lol get out of this thread.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dammitmattt said:
I approached it from two angles. As a gamer, I'm looking forward to a number of these games. However, looking at it from the health of the PS3 ecosystem, this lineup isn't lighting anyone on fire (Resistance excluded). Neither is Microsoft's, for that matter (Gears and Fable excluded).
Generally speaking, the games that "light anyone on fire" are the exception rather than the rule in any complete lineup over a reasonable period of time. Saleswise, there's always a large disparity between the bestselling few and vast majority. Not sure what you think you're accomplishing by "excluding" the candidates from these lists that have that potential. Yes, surprise, they don't dominate the lists. They rarely do.

Mifune said:
He was pointing out to you that the guy he quoted was one of the new breed. Not that you were.

Ummm.....

SolidSnakex said:

Add commas:

SolidSnakex said:
This, dammitmattt, is what I was talking about when I talked about the new breed of "gamer".

I hope you can see how I was confused with the lack of commas. Sorry, SSX :D And I agree completely that it's sad that some people can't separate the sales side from the gaming sad. Criminally sad...

batbeg

Bigmac573 said:
:lol :lol Good heavens... And is MGS4 the Elebits of the PS3? Maybe Motorstorm the Excite Truck? /sarcasm

Sales-age aside, this one isn't that odd. Hell, someone made a LTTP thread a couple weeks back directly comparing the two :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
SolidSnakex said:

you mean he doesn't?

mabuza said:
hopefully this new ww president will whip the studios in shape and get them to release games on time.

Best way for him to show it is for him to get them to release Home!

Can't wait to read and see more about LBP.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kagari said:
White Knight is probably going to be shown at the SCEJ event. I don't think SCEA would show something Japan is working on before they've even shown more of it in Japan.

When is the SCEJ's event?

dammitmattt said:
What is Nintendo's lineup for the rest of the year and early 2009?
Sorry, I should have put a "/sarcasm" at the bottom of my last post.

But hopefully all the douchebags who have been saying "360 can't compete in 08" can finally shut the fuck up.

JEHUTYj

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Yeah, this definitely kicks the living shit out of Microsoft and Nintendo's lineups.

I dunno. Nintendo doesn't have a 2008 line up yet and Gears of War 2 is bigger than anything on that list.

If MS didn't have Gears 2 then Sony's line up would definitely be the least bad of the 3.

womfalcs3

Banned
FtsH said:
don't tell me that's it :/

These are Sony-published titles, not 3rd parties. You don't think that's a good amount for, with the exception of K2, the remaining ~7 months of 2008?

J-Rzez

dammitmattt said:
Here's my line of thinking:

SOCOM - It should sell okay, but the fans know it's not the true sequel

Trust me, the true fans of SOCOM will buy this game, along with anyone with a PS3 that's interested in this genre of game. Regardless of "sales data", as much as we all know that affects game experience (lawl), it will be spectacular. After reading up on all the recent news of the game, despite the lack of maps, it will move the bar for online shooters. Not only in gameplay itself, but also in the community features.

Green Shinobi said:
Sorry, I should have put a "/sarcasm" at the bottom of my last post.

But hopefully all the douchebags who have saying "360 can't compete in 08" can finally shut the fuck up.

Ah! Well, in that case, I agree with you that the 360 and PS3 lineups are comparable.

dammitmattt said:
Ah! Well, in that case, I agree with you that the 360 and PS3 lineups are comparable.
Exactly. It's what I've been saying for months. Microsoft's 08 = Sony's 08. But there would always be some douchebag who would reply with ":lol " or "umm. . . no" or something equally idiotic.

Btw, shouldn't you be banned right now, based on NPD sales and your tag?

J-Rzez said:
Trust me, the true fans of SOCOM will buy this game, along with anyone with a PS3 that's interested in this genre of game. Regardless of "sales data", as much as we all know that affects game experience (lawl), it will be spectacular. After reading up on all the recent news of the game, despite the lack of maps, it will move the bar for online shooters. Not only in gameplay itself, but also in the community features.

I do agree that it looks great, and I'm much more excited about it after the 1up/EGM coverage. I'm just not convinced that the entire community will jump on it like they will SOCOM 3.

And this is the one type of game where sales data does matter. You need a lot of people to purchase online-only shooters to build the community and keep it strong. Hopefully it delivers on the promise and makes this happen, and it's different enough from R2 and COD4 that it should stand on its own and carve out its own niche.

Green Shinobi said:
Exactly. It's what I've been saying for months. Microsoft's 08 = Sony's 08. But there would always be some douchebag who would reply with ":lol " or "umm. . . no" or something equally idiotic.

Btw, shouldn't you be banned right now, based on NPD sales and your tag?

It was a bish joke. I didn't make any ban bets.

Top Bottom