• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And PlayStation Productions Developing ‘Ghost of Tsushima’ Movie With ‘John Wick’s Chad Stahelski Directing

Astorian

Sony Pictures and PlayStation Productions are developing a film adaptation of the hugely successful action adventure game Ghost of Tsushima, with Chad Stahelski attached to direct. The game recently crossed a massive milestone of selling over 6.5 million copies since its July 2020 debut.
Stahelski, Alex Young and Jason Spitz are producing through their company 87Eleven Entertainment. Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan will produce on behalf of PlayStation Productions. Sucker Punch Productions will serve as Executive Producers. Peter Kang is overseeing the project on behalf of the studio.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
HBO TLOU Show is the only game -> live action I have any faith in being good.

Seems like Sony is just greenloghting anything for a movie these days

longdi

Banned
jimbo please stop.
yes your first party games sold well last gen, but let's not beat things to the ground

It's like Playstation just now realized that Sony is a big 5 movie studio and is trying to make up for the last 20 years of not leveraging that synergy in the span of a single year.

That said, Chad Stahelski as director means it has my attention, and I haven't even played the game.

mansoor1980

72a0c5096a0dc1dfae5fcc9eb2d3e8aa.jpg

This one has a good director at least!

Honestly, I could see any of these adaptations being big flops or big successes. So far I'm not impressed with Uncharted due to the ridiculous casting choices, but TLOU or this one could hit if done properly

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Chances are it'll be good. Not too often an HBO series gets bad reviews. It might cancel due to low ratings, but reviews for HBO or Showtime kinds of shows are almost always good.

jaysius

Banned
John Wick 1 was great 2 and 3 dropped all the style, were far too long, and the world building was far too "anime mentality" dumb shit to be a great movie.

If they continue tying games and movies this closely together, who's to say Jim might not one day refuse to greenlight games that he doesn't think can be made into a feature film later on?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they continue tying games and movies this closely together, who's to say Jim might not one day refuse to greenlight games that he doesn't think can be made into a feature film later on?
Nothing stop him. Movies and merchandise go hand in had for eons.

Watch the Netflix show The Toys That Made Us, and they bring up how those two mediums rely on each other for business and approvals (tv shows, movies, toys).

Last edited:

Aenima

I would be more interested in the rumored Demon's Souls movie, just to see how they would adapt the game world and creatures to a movie.
This one has a good director, but thers already a good amount of samurai movies.

fermcr

Chad Stahelski is directing John Wick 4 and 5 at this moment. Ghost of Tsushima movie will take some time to be released...

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

As much as I dislike game to movies etc, I can see all the movies TV TV comments.

But Sony movie department is not connected to Playstation. So its not the same as going on E3 and talking about TV like MS did Lol.
Reaching...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As much as I dislike game to movies etc, I can see all the movies TV TV comments.

But Sony movie department is not connected to Playstation. So its not the same as going on E3 and talking about TV like MS did Lol.
Reaching...
So Sony talking about Powers tv show way back, Sony music, PS Vue, and buying those anime streaming companies and having these available on PS at one time or another isnt bundling gaming and tv/movie media?

PS Vue was tv channel streaming service where Sony acted like a cable company and people paid Sony $40-50/mth. Vue even offered discounts on stuff if you were a PS+ member so they were all about acting like a cable company bundling services.

Last edited:

yazenov

Its about time Sony pictures leverages their gaming division's IPs and strengthens their brand across different mediums. Very smart moves.

It won't be long until they do more adaptations from games to Anime, and vise versa as well. Sony owns Funimation and crunchyroll, it would be a missed opportunity not to do so.

Sony ia about to become media giants if their plan works.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm fine with movie and tv shows of video games. I've bought nearly all of the halo movies and have barely even played halo 1. Movies and tv shows is what I've been wanting these video game companies to move into for awhile. Well technically I wanted anime series like devil may cry, street fighter, and bayonetta movie. Unfortunately they let that Uwe guy make several of them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Sony Pictures banking on PlayStation IP's if it works well it will drive sales for PS5/games as well, also will show them that spending all there time on Spider-man and fighting with Marvel is useless.

Its about time Sony pictures leverages their gaming division's IPs and strengthens their brand across different mediums. Very smart moves.

It won't be long until they do more adaptations from games to Anime, and vise versa as well. Sony owns Funimation and crunchyroll, it would be a missed opportunity not to do so.

Sony ia about to become media giants if their plan works.

Well said! I would love God of War movie, series, and anime! They already made official comic books.

718618._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

3001518p2.jpg

3001521p2.jpg

Last edited:

Meesh

I'm going on record here to say this will be one of the rare few videogame or anime to live-action movie conversions that will actually be good. I usually throw anime in the same arena cuz that's pretty hit or miss. Lol.
Seriously, for a project like this that's a solid director imo. Yup.
Edit:
What's the budget, anyone know?

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I want Shadow of the Colossus although i have no clue how this could work as a movie.
Also why no Astrobot movie? They are a Minions ripoff anyways and Minions already worked.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

assume sony can manage to do this properly, both movie and videogame can help promote each other side by side.

not suprise if later MS also follow same foot.

also the director and the studio handle it has reputation so let see how it goes.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
For those saying TV Tv TV, hold on to your hats.

Sony makes movies. Microsoft doesn't.

Strange concept that ain't it?

Sure am glad Microsoft aren't going TV tv TV by offering media streaming services with gamepass...

You fan boys are dumb as fuck

Zeroing

Banned
We all knew for a long long time, most movies were based on books or real life stories because there's no creativity in Hollywood anymore, so yeah I am not amazed they will turn it into a movie. The game developers did all the hard job, story, characters etc. I hope the movie turns good. I miss the samurai genre.

Arkam

Yes please! Gimme gimme gimme! And so glad it’s going to be a movie and not a show. It might have a chance to be good. The director does some dope action/fight scenes. The fights in Wick 3 were pretty insane.

Top Bottom