• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima has sold 6.5M copies since its launch

Ellery

Damn. Congratulations. Playstation 4 exclusive games last gen were absolutely phenomenal. Most of the greatest games we have seen the last 7 years came from first party Playstation studios and maybe some of them will hit PC this year too.
The future for PS5 is looking great. Looking forward to what those studios are up to

Nintendo sells more per its major release but they are few and far between. And they keep their prices stable. Sony produces more but sells less so you get to the same place with different route. Works for both.

Microsoft is phasing out this old-school model of actually buying games and thinks they will change the rules of the game with subscription model. But games are not movies. It’s the thinking that people will play whatever you offer them instead of what they actually like. Most people only play CoD, FIFA and other mass appeal games yearly anyway.

Congrats to the team on the success. And to the people who were saying it outsold TLOU2 just know that TLOU2 was over 7 million back before the holidays so it's easily probably 8-9+ million by now.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Glad for them, love it when Sony Studios achieve critical and financial success. I need to get this game to show my support.

I've said it before, I didn't really enjoy Sly Cooper or Infamous but I always recognized the talent of Sucker Punch. GOT might be the game that finally brings me on board.

One of the last generation greatest games. Part 2 on PS5 is going to be MIND BLOWING.

giphy.gif

Certinty

Very well deserved.

Game has its flaws (some relatively big) but overall it was great.

Loved getting the platinum too. Honestly can’t believe they found a better mix between the old and new Assassin’s Creed games than Ubisoft themselves.

Gamerguy84

Fantastic game. Always been a SP fan because their games play excellent. They hit another level with Ghosts, I'm sure being part of SWWS and information sharing helped a bit as well as budget.

It's wild they're going to make a movie from this game.

Romulus

That should be enough for a sequel. Just imagining these devs developing a sequel to take advantage of the PS5 from the ground up makes me drool. The first game doesn't look like it should run at all on the PS4, that console is trash technically and the game looks stunning.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Fantastic game. I haven't finished it yet because I got a bit distracted with other games, that and the game became a bit too easy to hold my interest. Figure I'll pick it back up when I get a PS5.

Mikey Jr.

That should be enough for a sequel. Just imagining these devs developing a sequel to take advantage of the PS5 from the ground up makes me drool. The first game doesn't look like it should run at all on the PS4, that console is trash technically and the game looks stunning.

I personally don't think it matched the gameplay reveal.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Finished the story months back and loved it! Still need to platinum it though.....will re-download it on PS5 eventually to do that.

Arkam

Love this game! Every time I see it mentioned it brings a smile to my face. 6.5m is very solid for a new IP. Sony First Party put out some real gems this gen, but GoT was my favorite. The wait for a sequel is going to be agonizing. Wouldn't mind a DLC mini campaign to satiate my lust.

Ixion

One of the most refreshing open worlds I've played in a long time in terms of visuals and feel. It's definitely a bit too repetitive, but in a way it kind of works because repetition fits well with the zen vibe.

Glad to see this game succeed.

Last edited:
Nintendo sells more per its major release but they are few and far between. And they keep their prices stable. Sony produces more but sells less so you get to the same place with different route. Works for both.

Microsoft is phasing out this old-school model of actually buying games and thinks they will change the rules of the game with subscription model. But games are not movies. It’s the thinking that people will play whatever you offer them instead of what they actually like. Most people only play CoD, FIFA and other mass appeal games yearly anyway.
Yeh exactly, like most guys, i only buy games im interested in, ms are going to struggle to get enough good games on game pass, thats why i think they are going get rid of xbox live, and just going to add online gaming to gamepass, its the only way they are going to get enough subsribers on gamepass to make it to profitable. I dont expect many AAA games on gamepass, i think mostly AA games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I still prefer an infamous sequel but happy for suckerpunch nevertheless.

Hopefully they are gonna fix the big flaws in the sequel.

Agreed. I love the game, but lots can be fixed and corrected. I think they did as great as a job as one can do with a new IP. Not all new IPs will receive this level of sales, praise etc. That being said, it has many things that can be corrected. I'd like to see more quality of life stuff like the ability to camp or randomly sleep at an inn, fish to eat or sell, more animals to hunt.

The AI can be done way better too, going from The Last Of Us 2 to Ghost Of Tsushima shows sooooooo many flaws and makes the game look like a PS3 game in terms of design. The game is literally named after the element in the game about stealth, yet that is ironically its weakest area. The enemies move like robots, they look 1 direction and don't have lots of variety, so when you are ready to kill them, they are always killed in the most predictable way, the dogs also don't smell around and hunt for you.

Less filler, we didn't really need that many farms to save as it felt very copy and paste. Though I like it more then let say Assassins Creed, that doesn't mean its free from AC criticisms. I'm hopeful all those things will be addressed as I'm sure they are looking at stuff like how the Last Of Us 2 handles AI and movement, because its a new IP, they have room to grow and add on to the series over time.

Top Bottom