• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s PlayStation 5 Exclusives VS Microsoft’s Concerning Future of Exclusive Games

Gamernyc78

Banned
That's delusional right there LOL!!

Guerrilla Games just hired 150 or 200 more employees and Horizon Zero Dawn (a new IP) sold more than Halo 5 and sold way higher too, Halo Infinite is Microsoft's biggest game so they should pack everything in it, but seeing how 2 directors from 343 industries does spell red flags for Halo Infinite.

They should come up with something

"343i is big team of +600 employees (Sucker punch,Bend studios and Guerrilla combined"

That's a lie right there.

You bothered responding to that bait? We all know games like Horizon, Tlou, etc have better gameplay, more ambition, better graphics, etc in their thumb than washed up Halo in its entirety. Halo been on a Downhill slant for a minute. I played the last multiplayer and was like "wtf is this generic bs ppl mentionrd in the past. ". 343 🤦‍♂️some ppl are upset 343 took over. They are not in the big leagues like devs like Naughty, Guerilla, etc

LED Guy?

Banned
You bothered responding to that bait? We all know games like Horizon, Tlou, etc have better gameplay, more ambition, better graphics, etc in their thumb than washed up Halo in its entirety. Halo been on a Downhill slant for a minute. I played the last multiplayer and was like "wtf is this generic bs ppl mentionrd in the past. ". 343 🤦‍♂️some ppl are upset 343 took over. They are not in the big leagues like devs like Naughty, Guerilla, etc
FACTS! I agree with what you said a 100%

Halo isn't what it used to be sadly, and I would really be happy if Halo Infinite proved me wrong.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who's buying Xbox Series X day one, im not concerned at all. They will have AAA and AA titles. From what I know/believe -

343 Industries - Halo Infinite (AAA)
The Coalition - Gears 6 (AAA)
Playground Games - Fable/Forza Horizon 5 (AAA)
Turn 10 - Forza Motorsport 8 (AAA)
The Initiative - Perfect Dark (AAA)
Obsidian - Skyrim type action RPG/new IP (AAA)
InXile - New RPG IP (AAA)
Rare - Everwild (AAA)
Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2 (AAA)
Undead Labs - State of Decay 3 (AA)
Double Fine - Psychonauts 2 (AA)
Compulsion - New IP (AA)
Splash Damage (contracted) - Gears Tactics (AA)

Basically, a whopping 10 AAA titles and 4 smaller AA titles. Don't really see what there's to be concerned about. And outside of Splash Damage, this doesn't include timed exclusive deals for games from third parties, full exclusives from third parties or exclusives from future studio acquisitions.

Can't speak for anyone else but im super hyped!!! And to think, two months from now, we would have already seen a good amount of the titles listed above. Let's go, let's go!!! November can't get here fast enough.

For comparison, below is for PlayStation 5 -

Naughty Dog - New IP/TLOUP3 (AAA)
Santa Monica - God of War 2/New IP (AAA)
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima 2 (AAA)
Bend Studio - Days Gone 2 (AAA)
Insomniac - Spider Man 2 (AAA), Ratchet & Clank 2 (AA)
Guerrilla Games - Horizon 2/Killzone 5 or new FPS IP (AAA)
Polphony Digital - Gran Turismo 7 (AAA)
Japan Studio - Bloodborne 2 (AAA, my own personal opinion)
PixelOpus - New IP (AA)
Media Molecule - Dreams PS5 Port (AA)
San Diego Studio - MLB The Show (AA), Uncharted 5/Lost Legacy 2 (second team, AAA)
London Studio - PSVR 2 related (AA)

Overall, 12 AAA titles and 5 AA titles. Doesn't include timed/full exclusives from third parties or future acquisitions. Both overall are looking great. More sequels from Sony while Xbox gets a few sequels and reboots. Both will have new IP's (AAA and AA).

Last edited by a moderator:

FMX

I will say what I have been saying for years. I don't think that the Playstation gamer and Xbox gamer are fundamentally the same. I have been down with Xbox from the beginning. I did own a Ps3. I don't buy anything if it doesn't have multiplayer. I am not interested in story driven 3rd person games that don't have multiplayer. I have been playing Halo 5 for 5 years now, same with Gears. Once you beat God of War what do you have then? Most of Sony exclusives can be beaten in a week or a good weekend. Not saying that they are bad games but Xbox exclusives keep you coming back. That is why Game Pass exist. You couldn't do that with Sony's exclusives. I think that fundamentally the gamers have different tastes. Diverse lineup is always a good thing and that is something that Sony lacks. Their big exclusives are generally the same game. Again I am not saying that they don't make good games. people always crack jokes about Halo, Gears, and Forza but Sony for all of their great studios has failed to show that they make games in those genres that are better just like Microsoft has not show they can't make 3rd person story driven games better than Sony. Even if they did I can't say that they would interest me.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I will say what I have been saying for years. I don't think that the Playstation gamer and Xbox gamer are fundamentally the same. I have been down with Xbox from the beginning. I did own a Ps3. I don't buy anything if it doesn't have multiplayer. I am not interested in story driven 3rd person games that don't have multiplayer. I have been playing Halo 5 for 5 years now, same with Gears. Once you beat God of War what do you have then? Most of Sony exclusives can be beaten in a week or a good weekend. Not saying that they are bad games but Xbox exclusives keep you coming back. That is why Game Pass exist. You couldn't do that with Sony's exclusives. I think that fundamentally the gamers have different tastes. Diverse lineup is always a good thing and that is something that Sony lacks. Their big exclusives are fundamentally the same game. Again I am not saying that they don't make good games. people always crack jokes about Halo, Gears, and Forza but Sony for all of their great studios has failed to show that they make games in those genres that are better just like Microsoft has not show they can't make 3rd person story driven games better than Sony. Even if they did I can't say that they would interest me.

You can have your opinion lol but alluding to the fact tht Sony doesn't have good multiplayer games is disgenuous lol I'll take the dynamic and fun Uncharted 4 mp over the really static Gears. Uncharted for years now has dethrone Gears so idk what your talking about lol Halo at this point is generic and not doing anything new. Killzone 2 was as good or better than any Halo game last Gen and that you can see in the metas. Tlou remastered mp is just sooo good. MLB the show mp I play alot. Gran Turismo isn't a one race and your done game either. For every mp game you just mentioned Sony has their own version. This isn't ps3/360 days either none of those mp's you mentioned are lighting up the charts. Killzone Shadow fall although a fall from grace in its sp also had a great mp. Add games like Dreams with its dynamically and ever evolving shared gaming and nahhhh Sony isn't only about sp games, it's an amalgamation of many things, it's just that it's sp games or portions of games are just soooo good. Goty winner and contender good.

The mp games now lighting up the charts aren't any exclusives BTW its Fortnite, Warzone, etc.... I don't even hear ppl get hyped for those ganes tht had mp's tht use to be the talk of the town.

Last edited:

Flintty

I read the OP in Trump’s voice and it was superb. It just fit so well.

I’m not concerned with Xbox exclusives for XSX. The games I want to play will be there and if Fable and Halo delivers, I’ll be happy. The rest, I’ll mostly be playing 3rd party and I’m good with that. Anything else is a bonus.

PS. Sea of Thieves is fucking awesome. If you don’t ‘get it’ that’s fine. But it’s far from ‘gamepass fodder’. The fuck is that all about?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
As someone who's buying Xbox Series X day one, im not concerned at all. They will have AAA and AA titles. From what I know/believe -

343 Industries - Halo Infinite (AAA)
The Coalition - Gears 6 (AAA)
Playground Games - Fable/Forza Horizon 5 (AAA)
Turn 10 - Forza Motorsport 8 (AAA)
The Initiative - Perfect Dark (AAA)
Obsidian - Skyrim type action RPG/new IP (AAA)
InXile - New RPG IP (AAA)
Rare - Everwild (AAA)
Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2 (AAA)
Undead Labs - State of Decay 3 (AA)
Double Fine - Psychonauts 2 (AA)
Compulsion - New IP (AA)
Splash Damage (contracted) - Gears Tactics (AA)

Basically, a whopping 10 AAA titles and 4 smaller AA titles. Don't really see what there's to be concerned about. And outside of Splash Damage, this doesn't include timed exclusive deals for games from third parties, full exclusives from third parties or exclusives from future studio acquisitions.

Can't speak for anyone else but im super hyped!!! And to think, two months from now, we would have already seen a good amount of the titles listed above. Let's go, let's go!!! November can't get here fast enough.

For comparison, below is for PlayStation 5 -

Naughty Dog - New IP/TLOUP3 (AAA)
Santa Monica - God of War 2/New IP (AAA)
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima 2 (AAA)
Bend Studio - Days Gone 2 (AAA)
Insomniac - Spider Man 2 (AAA), Ratchet & Clank 2 (AA)
Guerrilla Games - Horizon 2/Killzone 5 or new FPS IP (AAA)
Polphony Digital - Gran Turismo 7 (AAA)
Japan Studio - Bloodborne 2 (AAA, my own personal opinion)
PixelOpus - New IP (AA)
Media Molecule - Dreams PS5 Port (AA)
San Diego Studio - MLB The Show (AA), Uncharted 5/Lost Legacy 2 (second team, AAA)
London Studio - PSVR 2 related (AA)

Overall, 12 AAA titles and 5 AA titles. Doesn't include timed/full exclusives from third parties or future acquisitions. Both overall are looking great. More sequels from Sony while Xbox gets a few sequels and reboots. Both will have new IP's (AAA and AA).
Next generation is looking good though I do hope MS comes with more AAA action adventure games

Batiman

Banned
Nah I’m only excited for GOW and ghosts right now coming from what’s announced with Sony. I’ve just plowed through most of Sony’s PS4 hits this last year and I’m sorta bummed out in style of games. Hoping they make more ps1- ps2 style games this gen. I’m too hyped for Halo right and will almost guarantee it’ll give me more fun and playtime then 3-4 Sony IPs.

Seems disingenuous to try and frame your post as honest question by just adding “but what do you guys think” when the majority of the rest of your post is all about Sony DESTROYING MS. You’re clearly aware they’ve bought a stack of studios, you’re aware they’ve got multiple AAA in the works as @peter420 has framed well, and you’re intentionally taking comments out of context to push the terrible “only AA games” argument. Maybe make this post again at the end of August if we don’t see any new AAAs from MS between now and then (pro tip: we will).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Microsoft's biggest task will be managing the studios and their projects

You can buy all of the talent you want but if they aren't managed well then it's all for nothing

Case in point: When Microsoft hired Casey Hudson of Bioware creator of Mass Effect to work on some Hololens and mixed reality stuff instead of hardcore games

Last edited:

FMX

You can have your opinion lol but alluding to the fact tht Sony doesn't have good multiplayer games is disgenuous lol I'll take the dynamic and fun Uncharted 4 mp over the really static Gears. Uncharted for years now has dethrone Gears so idk what your talking about lol Halo at this point is generic and not doing anything new. Killzone 2 was better than any Halo game last Gen and that you can see in the metas. Tlou remastered mp is just sooo good. MLB the show mp I play alot. Gran Turismo isn't a one race and your done game either. For every mp game you just mentioned Sony has their own version. This isn't ps3/360 days either none of those mp's you mentioned are lighting up the charts. Killzone Shadow fall although a fall from grace in its sp also had a great mp. Add games like Dreams with its dynamically and ever evolving shared gaming and nahhhh Sony isn't only about sp games, it's an amalgamation of many things, it's just that it's sp games or portions of games are just soooo good. Goty winner and contender good.

The mp games now lighting up the charts aren't any exclusives BTW its Fortnite, Warzone, etc.... I don't even hear ppl get hyped for those ganes tht had mp's tht use to be the talk of the town.

Man you sound like a spokes person for Sony.

93xfan

Banned
They have bought a bunch of studios in the run up to XSX, I think their line up will be fine. Will I like it? Probably not, but neither do I like the majority of Sony's first party offerings.

I used to get really into Sony exclusives like Ratchet and Clank, God of War (PS2), ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet and of course Socom 2.

I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man and just couldn’t get into either. Gave each multiple tries. Maybe it’s playing them after playing BotW.
For me though, the last Sony exclusive that really wowed me was Uncharted 4 and there weren’t many other exclusives on X1 and PS4 that did much for me in the single player department.

93xfan

Banned
You can have your opinion lol but alluding to the fact tht Sony doesn't have good multiplayer games is disgenuous lol I'll take the dynamic and fun Uncharted 4 mp over the really static Gears. Uncharted for years now has dethrone Gears so idk what your talking about lol Halo at this point is generic and not doing anything new. Killzone 2 was better than any Halo game last Gen and that you can see in the metas. Tlou remastered mp is just sooo good. MLB the show mp I play alot. Gran Turismo isn't a one race and your done game either. For every mp game you just mentioned Sony has their own version. This isn't ps3/360 days either none of those mp's you mentioned are lighting up the charts. Killzone Shadow fall although a fall from grace in its sp also had a great mp. Add games like Dreams with its dynamically and ever evolving shared gaming and nahhhh Sony isn't only about sp games, it's an amalgamation of many things, it's just that it's sp games or portions of games are just soooo good. Goty winner and contender good.

Killzone 2 was great, but better than Halo 3, ODST and Reach? You must be out of your mind.

While not as good, the MP in Killzone 2 was still a very worthwhile experience. Unfortunatley, having a good MP doesn’t sell the next big thing, so Sony shuts down the servers. I can still go back and find Halo 3 games in the 360 version.

I used to get really into Sony exclusives like Ratchet and Clank, God of War (PS2), ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet and of course Socom 2.

I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man and just couldn’t get into either. Gave each multiple tries. Maybe it’s playing them after playing BotW.
For me though, the last Sony exclusive that really wowed me was Uncharted 4 and there weren’t many other exclusives on X1 and PS4 that did much for me in the single player department.

Idk if it was laziness with their huge lead over Xbox or if they've decided every game needs to follow a similar style and take four-six years to make, but their game output has been way down this gen. No one ever really discusses it, but it's reality. Look at their best studios. ND went from two fantastic new IP's to zero new IP's and they'll barely get two full games out this gen. Sucker Punch will also barely get two games out. SSM made GoW and it was good (what I played anyway, not done yet) but was it as good as GoW3? Not imho and you also had Ascension. Polyphony put out two fully featured GT titles and this gen they put out one bare bones GT shell. Evolution gave us three good to great racers last gen and they got one shot this gen before Sony killed them off. There's been nothing like Resistance in terms of new IP that succeeded and saw continued support.

SOCOM II was GOAT material. You'd think given the success of Rainbow Six, Sony would see an easy avenue for easy money but after they forced Zipper to kill SOCOM with SOCOM 4 and then also killed Zipper themselves, I doubt they'll ever go back to it. They don't seem to care for those type of risks anymore. Same with Killzone 2.. it wasn't a shooter made for the masses. I don't see Sony releasing a game like that anymore.

The fact just is that Sony has been delivering on the exclusives for 4 straight gens. That's why the specs really don't matter and Sony is killing it when it comes to mindshare for next gen. I have no doubt that they will continue to deliver.

MS also seems to be focusing on quantity to help push GamerPass and xCloud, so most of their new studios will be focusing on smaller games. That doesn't mean they will bad by any means, but quality AAA is what gets the gaming community really pumped.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Killzone 2 was great, but better than Halo 3, ODST and Reach? You must be out of your mind.

While not as good, the MP in Killzone 2 was still a very worthwhile experience. Unfortunatley, having a good MP doesn’t sell the next big thing, so Sony shuts down the servers. I can still go back and find Halo 3 games in the 360 version.
Killzone 2 had a better meta than odst, same as Reach and three points lower than Halo 3 when it was in its prime. So the person I was responding to saying that Sony never had a shooter or doesn't have shooter mp's to that level is out of their mind :)

I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Neo_game

I will say what I have been saying for years. I don't think that the Playstation gamer and Xbox gamer are fundamentally the same. I have been down with Xbox from the beginning. I did own a Ps3. I don't buy anything if it doesn't have multiplayer. I am not interested in story driven 3rd person games that don't have multiplayer. I have been playing Halo 5 for 5 years now, same with Gears. Once you beat God of War what do you have then? Most of Sony exclusives can be beaten in a week or a good weekend. Not saying that they are bad games but Xbox exclusives keep you coming back. That is why Game Pass exist. You couldn't do that with Sony's exclusives. I think that fundamentally the gamers have different tastes. Diverse lineup is always a good thing and that is something that Sony lacks. Their big exclusives are generally the same game. Again I am not saying that they don't make good games. people always crack jokes about Halo, Gears, and Forza but Sony for all of their great studios has failed to show that they make games in those genres that are better just like Microsoft has not show they can't make 3rd person story driven games better than Sony. Even if they did I can't say that they would interest me.

The problem is if they want to expand their fanbase they need to make exclusives and be more diverse as well. Doing more of the same can only keep some percentage of core gamers happy.

Stuart360

Although i agree that Sony will probably have more impressive AAA first party games than XSX overall, that Matt Booty quote was taken out of context. In the full interview, he was talking about 2 of the smaller studios they bought, and how they are not equipped to make AAA level games but Microsoft are going to give them all the resources needed to get them as close to AAA as possible. So if anything he's actually confirming the push for AAA, even from their smaller studios.

Shakka43

I mean Microsoft can only go up from this gen, right? For me right now they only have one must buy franchise (Ori) but I'm intrigued by what their new and recently acquired studios (which have recruited a lot of Sony talent btw) are working on.

Kagey K

Banned
I hope MS stays behind, it benefits me as a consumer to have them fighting in that spot.

Hopefully the competition spurs them more and they will continue on the track they are on.

In the end I win. (As a consumer)

Last edited:
I don't think Sony will destroy this gen Xbox in exclusive games but if any of you live enough time you should know the money doesn't
bring you great exclusives, just ask Nintendo they do with a fraction a better games and sells even more than many AAA.

Also if the business people think the 100% of the new studios will make the new Uncharted or Spiderman (in quality and sales field)
they are going to see a different reality, that not always things go as you expect. And then how they respond for this kind of situation
can be more important than other thing.

-If they respond is too soft or conformist then is possible its games will be forgettable (Halo 5 almost did this for the IP).
-In the opposite if they pull too much on the leash, its investor can start to close studios because everything should be perfect or bring
mountains of money (like EA in the second)

In that field I have more confident in companies like Nintendo and Sony, they can fail but is not strange they every couple of years bring
an almost perfect game (God of War, Breath of Wild).

Sony has another advantage here similar as Nintendo in the beginning of Switch/Wii life, its games can use to 100% the new features since day 1 in
other hand Xbox need to be sure not dream too much the first two years because the game should be able to run in an old HDD and Jaguar CPU.

93xfan

Banned
Killzone 2 had a better meta than odst, same as Reach and three points lower than Halo 3 when it was in its prime. So the person I was responding to saying that Sony never had a shooter or doesn't have shooter mp's to that level is out of their mind :)

I know what I'm talking about.

A metacritic score? So in your universe do people regularly bring up the 2000s and playing Killzone 2 with friends?

Do you believe the sales are similar, or the online population when both games were in their peak?

John254

Banned
That's delusional right there LOL!!

Guerrilla Games just hired 150 or 200 more employees and Horizon Zero Dawn (a new IP) sold more than Halo 5 and scored way higher too, Halo Infinite is Microsoft's biggest game so they should pack everything in it, but seeing how 2 directors leaving from 343 industries does spell red flags for Halo Infinite.

They should come up with something

"343i is big team of +600 employees (Sucker punch,Bend studios and Guerrilla combined"

That's a lie right there.
So 2 directors leaving 343 is a big red flag (one being producer). I can't imagine how you reacted, when 14 out of 20 designers left Naughty Dog after Uncharted: Lost Legacy considering you have Ellie as your avatar :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: (was it bigger red flag?)

So 2 directors leaving 343 is a big red flag (one being producer). I can't imagine how you reacted, when 14 out of 20 designers left Naughty Dog after Uncharted: Lost Legacy considering you have Ellie as your avatar :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: (was it bigger red flag?)
Senior key figures left 343 while junior level designers left Naughty Dog.

Both companies have terrible management issues though.

The Initiative (supposedly their biggest and most promising team) saying that they’re “going agile and building smaller-type games” and Matt Booty saying that they’re not targeting for AAA gaming in the future with XSX, instead, they’ll be making “unique AA games” and that’s concerning me.

How is this concerning to you. To me it looks like one of the best things I have heard.

As long as it's not gamepass filler and quality AA games, it sounds really promising. Stuff like gears tactics.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

Anyone catch this?

EVtAYggVcAMEY2m

Bloomberg Intelligence's cost estimates.

recma12

As a European none of that shit (TFs, exclusives etc.) will matter, PlayStation will win. They do every time.

Assuming EU was a contested market, I'd still put my money on Sony.

The "brand value" of Uncharted, GoW and likely TLOU has increased during the PS4 era, while they added a cool new franchise with HZD.
Xbox's big ticket games aren't turning heads like used to anymore and they haven't added anything to their line up.
Even lost the moneyhat deals with FIFA and CoD.

I think that X1X is much a better console than PS4Pro and I'm farily sure XSX will be better than PS5.
But I doubt it will really matter.

It's hard to get people to switch from one walled garden to another unless you have a compelling argument.
More TFs and Gamepass aren't one of those.

Kokoloko85

Sony is mostly certainly gonna be Amazing unless they drop the ball and just focus on big games and make less of them. And abandon what’s made them great. I say if they expand on what they’ve built, do more. Fix your previous mistakes.

They’ve lost a few key developers that have brought out great exclusives like Ueda Since PS2.
Death Stranding was a special game for me (top 5 this gen) but flopped.
Will Miyazaki make another japan studio exclusive?

Will there be more wasted Potentials and flops like The Order, Knack & 2 and to some Days gone, Infamous second son, Killzone Shadow Fall? Or will these studios level up and do greater like Naughty Dog, Santa MOnica, Insomniac etc.

I think Xbox has the potential to do as good as OG Xbox and early 360 days. But at the same time, its xbox and there direct and quality i cant trust. I can wait for there Games till the end of the generation or just play them on pc. It will likely be halo, gears, forza, some jrpgs, obsidein and fable leading the way. But I doubt they can do close to Studios like Santa Monica, Naughtydog, Insomniac, Guerilla, Japan Studios at there best.

John254

Banned
Sony's SSD is more advanced, but at the same time has almost a quarter less capacity, so that might even the prices.
Also surprised that memory cost is same. I know that Microsoft has faster/slower setup but i expected it would cost more than Sony's setup

ZywyPL

Banned
Also surprised that memory cost is same. I know that Microsoft has faster/slower setup but i expected it would cost more than Sony's setup

The faster dies are more expensive, but the slower ones are cheaper, so again, that kind of evens the odds.

It's hard to get people to switch from one walled garden to another unless you have a compelling argument.

100$ was way more than enough for people to jump from PS2 to X360, and then from X360 to PS4. Exclusives matter to some, no doubt, some people buy a console just for the next Forza, some for GT, some for Gears, some for GoW, some for Halo, and so on, but most people from those ~150MLN couldn't care less, because they also but consoles for specific titles - next GTA, next Fifa, next CoD, Assasin's Creed, BF, Destiny, and so on, and since they are available on multiple platforms price if the sole and defining factor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom