• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup runs Google TV and fully embraces HDMI 2.1

BuffNTuff

Banned
I have had a couple of Vizios and they both failed on me within a few years but maybe the newer ones are better quality.

Still yet after having a 65" 1080p and a 4K that failed it makes me never wanting to try them again.

Look forward though to seeing the new lineup of all TVs as I do wish my TV was much brighter as my room has a ton of natural light
All TVs these days have shit failure rates now that Japanese engineering has been pushed out of the market. They aren’t built like they used to be. Hell even Japanese TVs these days aren’t actually Japanese tv and are either Chinese or Korean rebrands. Sony’s are Chinese panels on their LCDs and Korean on their oleds with Chinese parts for both.
That being said, I’ve got a Vizio P from 2016 still going strong in one of the guest bedrooms along with some shit 25 inch Vizio from 10+ years ago.

kyliethicc

I think consumers have to ensure that all HDMI in ports are the full 48gbps
Sony literally said its only HDMI ports 3 and 4 are 2.1 and 48 Gb/s. They were already asked directly about that and answered.

Sony 2021 TVs have same port config as the X900H.
Ports 1 & 2 - HDMI 2.0
Ports 3 & 4 - HDMI 2.1 48 Gb/s

The ports themsleves even look different, see? The 2 HDMI ports that are 2.1 48 Gb/s are shinier.

EvXlVQF.jpg

Last edited:

Jigga117

I think consumers have to ensure that all HDMI in ports are the full 48gbps
The only thing that benefits 48Gbps is GPUs that are 48Gbps. Xbox Series S/X are 40Gbps and PS5s are only 32Gbps. Unless that changes having 48Gbps is mostly beneficial for 4k@120hz 12bit 444 for a 12bit display.
everything else is achievable for HDMI 2.1 40Gbps on 10bit panels.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have had a couple of Vizios and they both failed on me within a few years but maybe the newer ones are better quality.

Still yet after having a 65" 1080p and a 4K that failed it makes me never wanting to try them again.

Look forward though to seeing the new lineup of all TVs as I do wish my TV was much brighter as my room has a ton of natural light

Now I understand your brightness complain. My current one is only 500 nits and burns my eyes sometimes in HDR in some few occasions. My room gets some light but very controlled with thick curtains so I think even OLED brightness will be more than enough to me. But more is always better and makes HDR stand out more naturally and gives the 3D feel.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Now I understand your brightness complain. My current one is only 500 nits and burns my eyes sometimes in HDR in some few occasions. My room gets some light but very controlled with thick curtains so I think even OLED brightness will be more than enough to me. But more is always better and makes HDR stand out more naturally and gives the 3D feel.

This is the one wall of my home office that is totally sliding glass doors, so yeah a lot of light comes in.

AF9cbKR.jpg

kyliethicc

Bias lighting can help make bright screens (especially in HDR) easier on our eyes in darker rooms. Might be worth trying. It helped me.

It can even make the blacks on a LCD TV look darker too. Its cool how we can trick our eyes.

kyliethicc

Do we know how much will the new models cost?
Best guess is the OLEDs and 8K models will be similar prices as last years, or slightly increased.

For the 4K LCDs, hard to know. Sony might want to raise the price of the X95J and X90J (due to new XR chip).

For example, the 2020 55 inch X900H (XH90) was $1000. I suspect the 2021 55" X90J will cost between $1000 and $1200. While the X85J should be like $200 less for the same 55" size.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bias lighting can help make bright screens (especially in HDR) easier on our eyes in darker rooms. Might be worth trying. It helped me.

It can even make the blacks on a LCD TV look darker too. Its cool how we can trick our eyes.

My current tv is edge lit = zero dimming zones and pretty happy with the final image and zero loss in details. OLED's just cant go low enough due to LED limitation so they tend to crush blacks, and dimming zones as well make a worse result in most tv's. If I sniff even a little that some details are being lost I'll turn off all the dimming zones, at least when video/photo editing. But I'm really considering the new Sony OLED's with the cooling system now, as I'm upgrading later to 8K anyway in like 3-4 years.

Best guess is the OLEDs and 8K models will be similar prices as last years, or slightly increased.

For the 4K LCDs, hard to know. Sony might want to raise the price of the X95J and X90J (due to new XR chip).

For example, the 2020 55 inch X900H (XH90) was $1000. I suspect the 2021 55" X90J will cost between $1000 and $1200. While the X85J should be like $200 less for the same 55" size.

Actually X90H was $1200 as I remember then got a price cut quickly. It was even in the main website. If the upgrade is good, which I think it will, then it's understandable.

Last edited:

dolabla

Damn, I heard about what they did to X900H with VRR. That's got to sting for anybody who bought one and were expecting that feature. That's just some shady ass shit. That's got me a little worried about this year's model's since the feature is said not to be there day 1. Surely they're not dumb enough to do this again?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Damn, I heard about what they did to X900H with VRR. That's got to sting for anybody who bought one and were expecting that feature. That's just some shady ass shit. That's got me a little worried about this year's model's since the feature is said not to be there day 1. Surely they're not dumb enough to do this again?

I think they've dropped all their current processors to fully support HDMI 2.1 this time around, but it's better to buy a tv later in the year when you get it in a discount so by then you see if it met its promises or not ;) I should get one by late 2021 or early 2022, especially if it's a 65" OLED as they tend to be expensive, but X95J 65" is my realistic goal for now.

dolabla

I think they've dropped all their current processors to fully support HDMI 2.1 this time around, but it's better to buy a tv later in the year when you get it in a discount so by then you see if it met its promises or not ;) I should get one by late 2021 or early 2022, especially if it's a 65" OLED as they tend to be expensive, but X95J 65" is my realistic goal for now.
You're probably right. They've had a year of people complaining about their sets not being HDMI 2.1. Hopefully they are better prepared. I'm dying to get a new tv so I'll more than likely pick up the X90J a few weeks after release. There's games I've been holding out on playing due to wanting to experience them on a new tv with nice HDR.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You're probably right. They've had a year of people complaining about their sets not being HDMI 2.1. Hopefully they are better prepared. I'm dying to get a new tv so I'll more than likely pick the X90J a few weeks after release. There's games I've been holding out on playing due to wanting to experience them on a new tv with nice HDR.

Man, my current tv is 4K HDR, low budget Sony X70D from 2016. And it's an 8-bit panel, I think, also edge lit, no local dimming. I can't stress how gorgeous Spiderman MM looks in fidelity mode nor AC Valhalla in some parts. I've seen X90H (X900H, gladly they unified their names in 2021 to avoid confusion) in person and what a wonderful looking it is! X90J should be a big jump in processing as it was using X1, the oldest processor in 2020 lineup, but X90J is sharing the same processor as the top tier 8K Z9J and A90J OLED. I would choose X95J as it should have better local dimming and higher peak brightness.

One day, one day I'm gonna get this...

dolabla

Man, my current tv is 4K HDR, low budget Sony X70D from 2016. And it's an 8-bit panel, I think, also edge lit, no local dimming. I can't stress how gorgeous Spiderman MM looks in fidelity mode nor AC Valhalla in some parts. I've seen X90H (X900H, gladly they unified their names in 2021 to avoid confusion) in person and what a wonderful looking it is! X90J should be a big jump in processing as it was using X1, the oldest processor in 2020 lineup, but X90J is sharing the same processor as the top tier 8K Z9J and A90J OLED. I would choose X95J as it should have better local dimming and higher peak brightness.

One day, one day I'm gonna get this...

Just imagine how much that thing is going to be :messenger_grinning_smiling:.

I can't wait for Micro-LED. Perfect blacks, high contrast, great viewing angles, etc. Maybe one day we can get that amazing clarity of motion like on a CRT :messenger_beaming:. Would be nice.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just imagine how much that thing is going to be :messenger_grinning_smiling:.

I can't wait for Micro-LED. Perfect blacks, high contrast, great viewing angles, etc. Maybe one day we can get that amazing clarity of motion like on a CRT :messenger_beaming:. Would be nice.

I think it's around $5 million dollars or so, you can buy it if you're Elon Musk. Currently, it's a wonderful tech for movie making, big movie makers of course not on a tight budget.

This is just something that I am noticing casually when I go to best buy, frys electronics, and that is Samsung's QLED chroma/color really seems to pop and is really intense.

Reds are really Red
Greens are really Green
Blues are really blues

That Asian guy is so hot lol

Excited for the new UHD 2021 line up from Sony, LG, Samsung!

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
I'm so sick and tired of all the smoke and mirrors. I know, that CES is SHOW first, but damn...It's been a few hours already and I'm yet see a single spreadsheet from any company that will show clearly available diagonals and tech inside each unit.

dolabla

This is just something that I am noticing casually when I go to best buy, frys electronics, and that is Samsung's QLED chroma/color really seems to pop and is really intense.

Reds are really Red
Greens are really Green
Blues are really blues

Yes, from what I've gathered Samsung goes for more color pop than color accuracy. Sony is more color accuracy as they (along with Panasonic) work with the film industry.

The only thing that benefits 48Gbps is GPUs that are 48Gbps. Xbox Series S/X are 40Gbps and PS5s are only 32Gbps. Unless that changes having 48Gbps is mostly beneficial for 4k@120hz 12bit 444 for a 12bit display.
everything else is achievable for HDMI 2.1 40Gbps on 10bit panels.

Samsung seems to have achieved 12 bit free sync gaming?!

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Reds are really Red
Greens are really Green
Blues are really blues

Actually Samsung is one of the most inaccurate sets out there. Most of these tvs had problems, including LG until like 1 week they've been having problem with VRR. But Samsung is the worst one between the big 3, yet the most successful sales wise. TCL has shit final results with its vidrian, I think it's named, miniLED algorithm crushing details all over the place with bad final image, and Vizios can't do 4K@120Hz still.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I can't...What were Samsung thinking when they went with AMD instead of Nvidia. I just can't.

12-bit gaming is a reality in PS5, even at 120Hz with that current gimped 32Gbps. So yes, 12-bit is the future.

Also Samsung has no Dolby Vision support for movies and so, but HDR10+ which seems a non-open source version of HDR10 to match wider color gamut?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For 2021 is panasonic vs sony for my new oled tv.

I never had a sony oled before, i'm kinda curious.
Most gear I've historically bought is Panasonic, except for my latest Sony 900E TV. Even my microwaves are Panasonic.

My Panny gear has always worked great. Looking back, my Panny plasma was phenomenal. Only 1080p, but I don't think my 900E looks any better unless it's a dedicated 4k media format.

Only problem with Panasonic gear is it'll always hit your wallet an extra couple hundred bucks.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Most gear I've historically bought is Panasonic, except for my latest Sony 900E TV. Even my microwaves are Panasonic.

My Panny gear has always worked great. Looking back, my Panny plasma was phenomenal. Only 1080p, but I don't think my 900E looks any better unless it's a dedicated 4k media format.

Only problem with Panasonic gear is it'll always hit your wallet an extra couple hundred bucks.

Would love to get Panasonic TV's here. Although I'm not a fan of their weak ass split unit AC performance, I trust their quality, especially in TV's due to their experience and having reference monitors like Sony. Actually would love Canon to get into the scene as well, but that's doesn't seem to be happening as Canon keeps its shit 100% Japanese AFAIK.

GymWolf

I always wait for incredible occasions with oled tv.
I payed 1462 euros for my fz800 in 2018, real price? 2100-2200 euros.

Same for my previous lg oled.

I never buy at normal price.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I always wait for incredible occasions with oled tv.
I payed 1462 euros for my fz800 in 2018, real price? 2100-2200 euros.

Same for my previous lg oled.

I never buy at normal price.

I think only rich people and extreme enthusiasts buy TV's day one. Never done that myself.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Would love to get Panasonic TV's here. Although I'm not a fan of their weak ass split unit AC performance, I trust their quality, especially in TV's due to their experience and having reference monitors like Sony. Actually would love Canon to get into the scene as well, but that's doesn't seem to be happening as Canon keeps its shit 100% Japanese AFAIK.
I think Panny tvs are a dying breed(?).

They used to be everywhere in Canada (except Walmart). Now, Panasonic tvs seem to only be carried by specialty tv/electronics stores. Costco doesn't anymore (thats where I got my plasma), Best Buy online literally says 2 models only.

BlackM1st

Banned
12-bit gaming is a reality in PS5
I'm more bothered by my Nvidia cards having no decent screen to work with xD

I couldn't care less about PS5 compatibility bc no matter what my PC will always look better than my PS5.

But yeah, Samsung is far from perfect.

I would rather buy LG than Samsung (I'm using Samsung phones), and I would definitely prefer Sony to any other TV brand.

Panasonic is quality just like Toyota. But for me it will be always second best to Pioneer.

Unfortunately Pioneer is dead because quality doesn't mean success.

Just look at VAIO notebooks from Sony. Shit was so far ahead of its time it's not even funny. Fully carbon, portable size, fully functional ports and best in class keyboard AND a discrete videocard. And? And now people think that Apple makes good laptops and VAIO is Japan only xD

Sony_VAIO_Z_2010_01.jpg

GymWolf

I think only rich people and extreme enthusiasts buy TV's day one. Never done that myself.
Sometimes you are lucky and you don't have to wait too much, i buyed my panasonic a couple of months after launch from an illegal\grey area site (an extremely famous one in europe) that got closed by police a couple of months later :lollipop_squinting:

And before that i got the lg oled with a gigantic discount combining 3-4 different discount coupon in a single site:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm kinda lucky with buying TVs and pc hardware on the internet🕺

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sometimes you are lucky and you don't have to wait too much, i buyed my panasonic a couple of months after launch from an illegal\grey area site (an extremely famous one in europe) that got closed by police a couple of months later :lollipop_squinting:

And before that i got the lg oled with a gigantic discount combining 3-4 different discount coupon in a single site:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm kinda lucky with buying TVs and pc hardware on the internet🕺
Sounds like my coworkers years back. One of my former coworkers got word from his friend he had LG tvs for cheap. So he asked a handful of us if were interested.

It was literally a guy driving to our company parking lot and dumping off a tv from his van. lol

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm more bothered by my Nvidia cards having no decent screen to work with xD

I couldn't care less about PS5 compatibility bc no matter what my PC will always look better than my PS5.

But yeah, Samsung is far from perfect.

I would rather buy LG than Samsung (I'm using Samsung phones), and I would definitely prefer Sony to any other TV brand.

Panasonic is quality just like Toyota. But for me it will be always second best to Pioneer.

Unfortunately Pioneer is dead because quality doesn't mean success.

Just look at VAIO notebooks from Sony. Shit was so far ahead of its time it's not even funny. Fully carbon, portable size, fully functional ports and best in class keyboard AND a discrete videocard. And? And now people think that Apple makes good laptops and VAIO is Japan only xD

Sony_VAIO_Z_2010_01.jpg

Sony still owns around 30% of Vaio, that's now ~70% owned buy a Japanese company that's more like a governmental umbrella to save Japanese brands. That's why Cerny was using one! You can buy some now if you want from their website. I'm a desktop guy though.

TLZ

Banned
After Sony, I trust Panasonic in color accuracy and picture quality. Both companies have reference monitors and are big players in cameras and pro camcorders.
Yes. There's a huge reason I still have my Panasonic Plasma in my bedroom. And why I bought a few of them back in the day over other TVs. Picture and colors looked much better on them.

dolabla

That's great news X900H owners. That would be shameful if they didn't bring it. Hopefully they can get the blurring issue fixed too.

kyliethicc

Well, that sucks. The X85J is using that same chip set too, I think.

That's good. I can't wait to get my X90J!
Yeah but for most people this is not even an issue. It affects people who want to use it as a PC monitor for 120 Hz gaming the most. I bet plenty of people would have had no idea this flaw even exists if they had not been told.

The X85J should be a good budget option for people who want a HDMI 2.1 TV.

Plenty of console gamers would rather pay less for a good 4K120 TV that has some blurry text than pay more for a similar TV without that small issue. Most people who care about 120 Hz gaming on console will be playing fast multiplayer games, so I don't think it would affect most people trying to play Dirt 5 or CoD at 120 Hz.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah but for most people this is not even an issue. It affects people who want to use it as a PC monitor for 120 Hz gaming the most. I bet plenty of people would have had no idea this flaw even exists if they had not been told.

The X85J should be a good budget option for people who want a HDMI 2.1 TV.

Plenty of console gamers would rather pay less for a good 4K120 TV that has some blurry text than pay more for a similar TV without that small issue. Most people who care about 120 Hz gaming on console will be playing fast multiplayer games, so I don't think it would affect most people trying to play Dirt 5 or CoD at 120 Hz.

Actually it's important to me because I want to use 120Hz mode for my PC, wanna see my upcoming Sony a7S III videos in 4K@120fps 10-bit at their full glory! Although I will use that to have slowmotions in 60-30fps final video. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Actually it's important to me because I want to use 120Hz mode for my PC
I haven't tried it on my pc yet, cause I need to get a higher bandwidth cable, but also my pc isn't beefy enough to play anything at UHD120, so the image would have some blur anyway from being in 1080p.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I haven't tried it on my pc yet, cause I need to get a higher bandwidth cable, but also my pc isn't beefy enough to play anything at UHD120, so the image would have some blur anyway from being in 1080p.

I just remembered that my Radeon VII is HDMI 2.0. So I need to buy 3090 first (downgrading to 10GB VRAM is not an option coming from an HBM2 16GB, 1TB/s bandwidth). :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:
I just remembered that my Radeon VII is HDMI 2.0. So I need to buy 3090 first (downgrading to 10GB VRAM is not an option coming from a HBM2 16GB, 1TB/s bandwidth). :lollipop_downcast_sweat:
Well if you don't mind dropping to 4:2:0 chroma 8 bit, you can do UHD120 with hdmi 2.0, since that would only require ~17.82Gbps.
Ingame you'd prolly only still get 60-80fps with the VII on with current games though, so dunno if that would be worth it.

Top Bottom