• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup runs Google TV and fully embraces HDMI 2.1

I'm considering 65", so A90J is pretty scary with that price as I will be planning to buy new camera lenses so might settle down to A80J, X95J, X90J. I'll see how they'll be priced by the end of this year.

If stutter is still as bad as C9 and CX, I think I'll skip OLED.

That’s a fair point on the stutter.

I saw that Value Electronics will be putting the Sony A90J up for sale today and shipping soon.

I think that I’m going OLED and getting the BB burn in protection.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I saw that Value Electronics will be putting the Sony A90J up for sale today and shipping soon.

I might go for X95J, can't see myself pouring too much money on a tv now, but A90J is just crazy and reliable because it can hit 1300-nits!

I might go for X95J, can't see myself pouring too much money on a tv now, but A90J is just crazy and reliable because it can hit 1300-nits!

I was debating between these two, but I figured the QC will be there with the Master series and I’m willing to pay for it since I haven’t bought a new tv in 10 years. I think the biggest thing for me is that I want the tv to last me at least 5 good years. I’m afraid that I’ll want to upgrade the X95J before that since it’s not miniLED. I also worry about Sony cutting corners on their 4K LCDs versus the 8K.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was debating between these two, but I figured the QC will be there with the Master series and I’m willing to pay for it since I haven’t bought a new tv in 10 years. I think the biggest thing for me is that I want the tv to last me at least 5 good years. I’m afraid that I’ll want to upgrade the X95J before that since it’s not miniLED. I also worry about Sony cutting corners on their 4K LCDs versus the 8K.

Sony's local dimming algorithm is always superior though, so I'll be curious to see it against the new flock of miniLED's.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is there even anything in 8k to watch?

Some youtube videos are in 8K, and some channels in some countries like Japan been broadcasting in 8K since 3 years or so. Still, it's slightly a bit short to justify 8K purchase unless the price is great and upscaling is solid as that will make even 4K content look better due to the pixel density.

Kuranghi

Is there even anything in 8k to watch?

Not anything of worth no, just demos really, BC in Japan as Bo says.

The main attraction is gaming for me, you can play anything you want in 8K right now if you have the HW to do it. Even just downsampling 6K or 8K to my 65" 4K set looks absolutely amazing, like the realisation of promotional bullshots in terms of IQ.

Hopefully once emulators like Dolphin are more optimised for 8K output you can do that as well, I played SMG 1&2 in 4K but with 4x super sampling anti-aliasing last year which I think means effective 8K res and the difference between that and native 4K was really noticeable to me. Everything was so perfectly rendered (Well, not everything but I am a big aliasing pedant haha) on a 4K display I can't imagine how good it would've looked on native 8K. I could've just put some high sample count FXAA on it to cover up the remaining aliasing but it scrubbed some super fine detail so I left it off.

If I was setting the emulator up for a normal peep I would definitely turn FXAA on because it made it look like CGI animation, due to being so sharp/clean but with a filmic softness from the FXAA.

edit - this is from a techradar article where they are trying to run it at 8K on a Titan, they left the disgusting, IQ-ruining chromatic aberration effect on so the sharpness is fucked but just zoom in on it and look at the detail, you'd want temporal AA + sharpening on to remove some of the trickier pieces of aliasing like the car boot or transparencies but even without its stunning:

sbYCGrQiYX58eJbNSghnsE.jpg

In the article they say it runs at 24ish fps most of the time, yeah that means the cutscenes will be about 12-18 fps haha, not really playable. 6K would've been more realistic for 30fps lock but I think even cutscenes would drop, especially if DoF is on, that slaughters framerate in tricky scenes like close ups of Carlos's hair or just multiple main character faces at once.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

BTW this Samsung miniLED 4K having 792 zones in the 65" size, I'm betting that those zones won't be independently controlled. It just seems like a stretch when Sony put out an 85" 8K (2019 ZG9) that has 720 zones but they are controlled in clusters. The RRP for that TV was just made up really, they charged £14,000 at launch (Well, 16K really, but that was only for 2 months) and it was down to 8K by last half of 2020, but now its 10K again in 2021.

I know one is 8K and the other is 4K but even if you take out the increased panel cost I think if 10K+ TVs don't have it in 2019, then 2021 sets will not have that level of backlight control for the price they have announced the Samsungs are. I'd like to know how many zones are in the 8K flagship, LG are saying thousands in the flagship but that will be some crazy 80-something inch 8K that most won't be able to buy.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Hopefully once emulators like Dolphin are more optimised for 8K output you can do that as well, I played SMG 1&2 in 4K but with 4x super sampling anti-aliasing last year which I think means effective 8K res and the difference between that and native 4K was really noticeable to me. Everything was so perfectly rendered (Well, not everything but I am a big aliasing pedant haha) on a 4K display I can't imagine how good it would've looked on native 8K. I could've just put some high sample count FXAA on it to cover up the remaining aliasing but it scrubbed some super fine detail so I left it off.
I believe (but I could very likely be wrong), that a 400% render resolution in game at 4K would be 16 k, unless you were using nvidia dsr 4, in which case it would be 8k.

Thanks for the info.

Kuranghi

I believe (but I could very likely be wrong), that a 400% render resolution in game at 4K would be 16 k, unless you were using nvidia dsr 4, in which case it would be 8k.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah its calculated the same way as DSR I think, you're right. Its a pixel count increase rather than the multiplication of the axis, so 4x as many pixels, which is 8K if you start with 4K.

I tried to do 8xSSAA with 4K but its like 15fps.

Pretty much a future proof tv, the a90J is. I love the A8h but I should have waited lol, huge upgrade. I have the 5 year BB as well, hopefully in 4.5 years there will be a huge upgrade waiting for me xD

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Cost. Price. The money you have to hand over to the person on the other end in exchange for the tv....and so forth.

I know, but each one of those have different prices, with the Z9J being outrageously expensive. So far, no official prices but some rumored/leaked prices are floating around.

"According to the information, Sony’s new 83-inch high-brightness 4K OLED TV, the BRAVIA XR XR83A90J, will ring in at a cool $7,999 unilateral pricing policy (UPP). If the new 8K Ultra HD resolution has caught your eye, Sony’s 85-inch Master Series XR85Z9J 8K Ultra HD Full-Array LED LCD TV runs $9,999, and the 75-inch Master Series XR75Z9J runs $6,999."

Thanati

I know, but each one of those have different prices, with the Z9J being outrageously expensive. So far, no official prices but some rumored/leaked prices are floating around.

"According to the information, Sony’s new 83-inch high-brightness 4K OLED TV, the BRAVIA XR XR83A90J, will ring in at a cool $7,999 unilateral pricing policy (UPP). If the new 8K Ultra HD resolution has caught your eye, Sony’s 85-inch Master Series XR85Z9J 8K Ultra HD Full-Array LED LCD TV runs $9,999, and the 75-inch Master Series XR75Z9J runs $6,999."

Ouch! I kinda wish you hadn’t told me, lol :)

Melchiah

Looks like the 55" X90J is the sweet spot, which is good as that's what I've been keeping my eye on.

75-inch XR75X90J ($2,499)
65-inch XR65X90J ($1,799)
55-inch XR55X90J ($1,399)
50-inch XR50X90J ($1,299)

Kuranghi

So the 75" has roughly the same RRP as the 75" ZD9 was in 2016, I hope that means its got the Backlight Master Drive (or a proper successor to it) FALD and an appropriate number of independently controlled zones to compete with the ZD9, ie ~858 or slightly less if the dimming algorithm is improved.

X90J sounds like it will be similar to X90H, going by price. Really intrigued to see what the XR processor entails. I'm excited but cautious because of how they downgraded the X1 chip and removed the X1E chip from the lineup. I still don't know why they didnt give the 2020 X90H at least the image processing capabilities of the 2017-2019 X1E chip models. I get that 2017 XE93 was much more expensive than these sets at launch have been but XF90/XG90 had it in 2018/2019 and that was only £/$100 more than the X90H at launch. Having X-Motion Clarity BFI in the X90H was great but they lowered general gradient handling ability and removed Smooth Gradation option for sources with really bad gradients (ie a lot of streaming content/Netflix/Prime) and the upscaling and presentation isn't as good either according to Vincent Teoh and others.

Hopefully we'll hear more soon about the XR processor and I can stop ass-temating.

HTK

Banned
Seems like you were eyeing for the A9J. :messenger_winking_tongue: I considered it but the price has humbled me to X95J or X90J.

I just got a X900H 65" for $1200 with a plan to turn it back in for X90J 55" $1399.

But it's sssoooo good that X90J better be drastically better for the price and smaller screen for more money.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I just got a X900H 65" for $1200 with a plan to turn it back in for X90J 55" $1399.

But it's sssoooo good that X90J better be drastically better for the price and smaller screen for more money.

I might upgrade for that if I can't go to X95J as I'm willing to take my current 2016 4K HDR X70D to my photo/video studio which is pretty good without FLAD to show every little detail and get a mini PC connected to it for photo editing (video editing at home as it needs much more juice).

Last edited:
Reactions: HTK

Kuranghi

Is there a technology show coming up where we are likely to get to see more about the XR image processor? I just want to see it compared to X1 Ultimate.

dolabla

Some new pics up (and finally the dimension of the 50", will fit just right for me and my smaller space :messenger_sunglasses:) of the X90J on B&H and it's listing pre-orders for later in the month: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1617360-REG/sony_xr50x90j_x90j_50_class_hdr.html

65": Preorder starts at 12am ET, Mon Mar 22
55": Preorder starts at 12am ET, Mon Mar 22
50": Preorder starts at 12am ET, Mon Mar 29

Also noticed the legs aren't as wide on the 50" and all ports are on the side for all sizes.

sony_xr50x90j_x90j_50_class_hdr_1617360.jpg

1613649695_IMG_1490843.jpg

1613649695_IMG_1490847.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Some new pics up (and finally the dimension of the 50", will fit just right for me and my smaller space :messenger_sunglasses:) of the X90J on B&H and it's listing pre-orders for later in the month: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1617360-REG/sony_xr50x90j_x90j_50_class_hdr.html

65": Preorder starts at 12am ET, Mon Mar 22
55": Preorder starts at 12am ET, Mon Mar 22
50": Preorder starts at 12am ET, Mon Mar 29

Also noticed the legs aren't as wide on the 50" and all ports are on the side for all sizes. From the B&H website:

sony_xr50x90j_x90j_50_class_hdr_1617360.jpg

1613649695_IMG_1490843.jpg

1613649695_IMG_1490847.jpg

I think I might settle for X90J instead of X95J from a budget perspective.:lollipop_crying:

dolabla

I think I might settle for X90J instead of X95J from a budget perspective.:lollipop_crying:
I feel ya. If the pre-order dates are accurate on the B&H website, looks like X95J will be much later (June-August timeframe) than the X90J. I'm sure the X90J will still be a great set to get. I just bought a new Panasonic 4K player I'm so ready use with it. I'm ready to use this thing at its full potential (Dolby Vision). My X800D isn't the greatest at HDR, so I'm just using the built in HDR to SDR conversion for the time being.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I feel ya. If the pre-order dates are accurate on the B&H website, looks like X95J will be much later (June-August timeframe) than the X90J. I'm sure the X90J will still be a great set to get. I just bought a new Panasonic 4K player I'm so ready use with it. I'm ready to use this thing at its full potential (Dolby Vision). My X800D isn't the greatest at HDR, so I'm just using the built in HDR to SDR conversion for the time being.

My current panel is 8-bit, although 4K HDR (2016). So it's not just for gaming but for photo/video editing as I'm using my current one for that. Newer sets are all 10-bit, with some 12-bit coming soon, good for editing raw photos and videos. But should upgrade in a few years to 8K anyway, but only when a newer HDMI comes out with 8K@120Hz.

Last edited:
BTW this Samsung miniLED 4K having 792 zones in the 65" size, I'm betting that those zones won't be independently controlled. It just seems like a stretch when Sony put out an 85" 8K (2019 ZG9) that has 720 zones but they are controlled in clusters. The RRP for that TV was just made up really, they charged £14,000 at launch (Well, 16K really, but that was only for 2 months) and it was down to 8K by last half of 2020, but now its 10K again in 2021.

I know one is 8K and the other is 4K but even if you take out the increased panel cost I think if 10K+ TVs don't have it in 2019, then 2021 sets will not have that level of backlight control for the price they have announced the Samsungs are. I'd like to know how many zones are in the 8K flagship, LG are saying thousands in the flagship but that will be some crazy 80-something inch 8K that most won't be able to buy.
Yeah i'm really curious about the dimming quality on Samsung's Q90A. And if the 55 inch has less than the quoted 792 zones, since the Q90R 55 inch only had 240 zones compared to 480 on the 65.

Also, what do you mean the Z9G controlled the zones in clusters? I tried to find that in reviews but couldn't find anything. Seems like they're individually dimmable like in VT's review with the white box test pattern, but i'm curious.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My current panel is 8-bit, although 4K HDR (2016). So it's not just for gaming but for photo/video editing as I'm using my current one for that. Newer sets are all 10-bit, with some 12-bit coming soon, good for editing raw photos and videos. But should upgrade in a few years to 8K anyway, but only when a newer HDMI comes out with 8K@120Hz.
You won't miss out on a thing. If even the X90J is the tiniest of improvements over the H, you will be impressed. The 10-bit makes a major difference over the 8-bit, which I also went from an 8-bit 4K Sony to the 10-bit 90H. It was literally like I received a graphics update to all my games.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yeah i'm really curious about the dimming quality on Samsung's Q90A. And if the 55 inch has less than the quoted 792 zones, since the Q90R 55 inch only had 240 zones compared to 480 on the 65.

Also, what do you mean the Z9G controlled the zones in clusters? I tried to find that in reviews but couldn't find anything. Seems like they're individually dimmable like in VT's review with the white box test pattern, but i'm curious.

I was going by VTs review also, but I've had a brain failure, thanks for correcting me. I must've gotten confused with another model, in that case hopefully they will be on par with ZD9s in terms of dimming. The 55" will be really amazing looking I think as long as it has enough zones.

Probably less zones in 55" yes, 792 was for 65" so maybe ~512? Will be an awesome upgrade as long as its over 320 anyway.

Last edited:
I was going by VTs review also, but I've had a brain failure, thanks for correcting me. I must've gotten confused with another model, in that case hopefully they will be on par with ZD9s in terms of dimming. The 55" will be really amazing looking I think as long as it has enough zones.

Probably less zones in 55" yes, 792 was for 65" so maybe ~512? Will be an awesome upgrade as long as its over 320 anyway.
If anything the Samsung might get blacker than Z9D because as you know Samsung likes to control blooming over keeping the picture faithful (which I don't see as a positive), but we'll see maybe they change their algorithm to favor shadow detail this time.

I definitely don't expect the overall dimming to be as effective as the Z9D as let's face it, Sony is just a tier above Samsung in processing lol. And... it's the Z9D.

I hate to say it but i'm really just excited to see how Q90A does so I know what to expect from a Sony mini led set xD

DJTaurus

They are on a different league. X900h is closer to series 8 line of Sony TVs and x90j is the successor of the premium 900e/900f line..... more dimming zones, top tier cpu, better HDR etc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You won't miss out on a thing. If even the X90J is the tiniest of improvements over the H, you will be impressed. The 10-bit makes a major difference over the 8-bit, which I also went from an 8-bit 4K Sony to the 10-bit 90H. It was literally like I received a graphics update to all my games.

I would highly need that! Especially using the Graphics mode and shutting down all the gimmicks and might even turn off local dimming to see every little detail while editing. Tomorrow probably buying the first lens, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DN Art for my a7S III for only $959, which is strange because that's cheaper than the US ($1099). Overall, this shop here tends to sell noticeably cheaper than MSRP more often. It'll only get more expensive from there.:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

dolabla

Top Bottom