• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

BHZ Mayor

But it definitely reminds me of something.

sonic2595du93.jpg
sonic259vari0fy0.jpg

Yep. It reminds me of something too.

Blaze, pls. You should've said something. D:

Dark Schala: SchalaAsha (NA 3DS/WiiU) , SchalaAshaJP (JP 3DS)
TheOGB: TheOGB
OMGAero: Omega_Aero
Seven Force: SeventhForce (NA 3DS) , Blaze627 (JP 3DS)
PhantomOfTheKnight: POTK_Ken
BlackJace: BlackJace
Beef: ProfessorBeef
Refyref: Refyref
Lightning Lord: Rebel40000
Coldman: ColdmanHot
Shadow Hog: ShadowHog
Sega1991/Blaze: BlazeHedgehog

If you want me to edit in Miiverse links, post them, etc. Also if you want me to specify if you have a Wii U as well, let me know that too.

Mine is AzureDreams, somebody already had AzureDream, and it wouldn't let me make a punctuation variant of it. I only have a 3DS so far.

Psxphile

Man, you guys, I'm not gonna lie. Sonic Lost World is the most underwhelming/disappointing platformer I've played all year. And I'd already set my expectations low for it. :/

The game I expected to be kinda 'eh' on was Mario and that one blew my expectations away.

So what you're saying is Sega should outsource the next Sonic game to Nintendo's EAD Tokyo. Does Miyamoto have it in him to save Sonic? Would he even want to?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's not what I saaaaaid :V (But also, noooooo. I like Super Mario 3D World a lot. Played as Toad often and had fun with it, especially since it seems built around speedrunning, but I think Sonic should still stay as a Sega thing, because we've seen that Sega can do good with the IP.)

Part of my criticisms of Sonic Lost World is that it had no idea what it wanted to be. Does it want to take bits from Mario? Does it want to take bits from Donkey Kong? Does it want to take bits from other platformers? Does it want to be a stealth game in some bits? Some of that just didn't seem to fit the mould of what Sonic games usually are because they do mess with the pacing and other aspects of its level design and mapping of general Sonic game design.

And I've disliked it when games do that sort of "take everything + throw in the kitchen sink" thing. I didn't like it when FF13-2 did it. I don't like it when Lightning Returns seems to do it. I didn't like it when Dirge of Cerberus did it. This sort of thing makes the game lack some semblance of its own identity and coherence, and it feels like a bunch of concepts strung together "just because". They aren't blended well together to make something that I can stand and look at as a complete picture or as a collaborative and cohesive effort. That's why I say the games that I've felt were the most cohesively-designed in the last few years were Tales of Graces f, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta, etc. They ended up doing a lot of their own things while expanding on some other mechanics their counterparts had, but did it in such a nicely-blended manner that it's hard to ignore how well they did it.

PS: did the patch fix this

are they going to patch regular controls in for the 3ds version so i can actually finish it

Tizoc

PS Vita ID: Todoh789
Steam ID: tizoc789

Can we now make new NNIDs? I have a 3DS so assuming my brother didn't make one already, I'll get to making it during the weekend...after I charge up my 3DS.

TheOGB

Banned
I wish Project M's Green Hill Zone wasn't so damn small, because I don't think I'll be playing on any other stage now that I've changed most of the music

Blaze, pls. You should've said something. D:

Dark Schala: SchalaAsha (NA 3DS/WiiU) , SchalaAshaJP (JP 3DS)
TheOGB: TheOGB (NA 3DS)
OMGAero: Omega_Aero
Seven Force: SeventhForce (NA 3DS) , Blaze627 (JP 3DS)
PhantomOfTheKnight: POTK_Ken
BlackJace: BlackJace
Beef: ProfessorBeef
Refyref: Refyref
Lightning Lord: Rebel40000
Coldman: ColdmanHot
Shadow Hog: ShadowHog
Sega1991/Blaze: BlazeHedgehog

If you want me to edit in Miiverse links, post them, etc. Also if you want me to specify if you have a Wii U as well, let me know that too.
Updated mine

Oh god
OH GOD
YES

Oh, we doing SteamIDs now? TheOGB (ID: the_ogb13)

Sciz

We now return to your regularly scheduled hedgehogs.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #76
Remix Spotlight!

Song: Faster Than a Speeding Ballad (Radical Train ~ The Chase)
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Album: Blue Skies, Green Hills
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani
Arrangement: Falk

I didn't need much of an excuse to break this one out.

I wasn't too fond of most of this album (sorry Pietepiet), but Falk knocked this track straight into orbit 'cause that's just what he does. It's a fairly straight arrangement on the whole, save for a couple key differences: One, it's mixed to have a much cleaner sound than the grungy original, and two, HORNS. Brass licks all over the place and a saxophone replacing one of the original's guitars conspire to make it an even livelier piece than it already was.

'06's style is perfect for a train stage, by the way. Every track in this game starts off slow and builds to a head anyway, and nothing suits that better than ten thousand tons of metal getting up to speed.

Tizoc

Umm am I missing something? I've not read the synopsis yet, but what's the deal with #259?

Also my brother who has the 3ds charger won't be back for another 2 or so weeks, and my 3DS is down to one charge. I swear If it dies out before I buy the stuff I want from the eShop...

We now return to your regularly scheduled hedgehogs.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #76
Remix Spotlight!

Song: Faster Than a Speeding Ballad (Radical Train ~ The Chase)
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Album: Blue Skies, Green Hills
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani
Arrangement: Falk

That was pretty enjoyable to listen to. The horns make it in this piece.

'06's style is perfect for a train stage, by the way. Every track in this game starts off slow and builds to a head anyway, and nothing suits that better than ten thousand tons of metal getting up to speed.

Sonic 06's style is also perfect for that train stage, because it wrecks itself so spectacularly. :)

TheOGB

Banned
Welp

I was just about to get 3D Sonic 1, but if frickin Taxman Sonic 2 comes out tomorrow and I just got a phone that'll actually run it?
222a[]02092011fuhgeddaboudit.jpg

qq more

I'm playing the Sonic 1 3DS port in anticipation for Sonic 2 Android.

yes I know I can just play Sonic 1 on Android instead but I 100%ed each and every save file

OMG Aero

I don't know guys... you think Unleashed is worth a second playthrough?
Assuming you are going to use a completed file and just play through each level and boss, sure. If you are actually going to start the game from the beginning with level 1 werehog and have to hunt medals at some point, no.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm playing the Sonic 1 3DS port in anticipation for Sonic 2 Android.

yes I know I can just play Sonic 1 on Android instead but I 100%ed each and every save file
you know you can pop sonic 1 into your genesis/retron3 at any time and play it like that right

ps: i'm out of it and don't feel like adhering to proper grammar, ok

I don't know guys... you think Unleashed is worth a second playthrough?
if you have a clear file, sure

as biased as i am towards unleashed, playing it from a file completely started over might not be in your best interest because the unbalanced the werehog's stats fairly poorly.

i replayed it and the wii version last year and had a blast

qq more

you know you can pop sonic 1 into your genesis/retron3 at any time and play it like that right

ps: i'm out of it and don't feel like adhering to proper grammar, ok

dont feel like hooking my genesis and retron 3

plus its nice seeing this game in 3d

shame the audio emulation is noticeably off

qq more

I don't like how the Spindashing into a caterkiller hurts you (least the caterkiller dies too). This doesn't happen in the Taxman version lol

also there's some weird split second tile chunks flickering every now and then

Tizoc

Do the 3DS M2 games have demos? I'd like to try Space Harrier before dropping 5 Pounds in it. Apparently the gameplay is pretty simple, but the 3D is good.

qq more

They don't have demos unfortunately.

Just finished the Sonic 1 3DS port... it's good but flawed in some spots, but nothing game breaking. Spindash really needs work though because you can't harm enemies while you're charging up.

Do the 3DS M2 games have demos? I'd like to try Space Harrier before dropping 5 Pounds in it. Apparently the gameplay is pretty simple, but the 3D is good.

It's worth £5, put it that way. Stick on cabinet view and cabinet movement, put 3D on full blast, put the difficulty all the way up and the game is a fucking thrill.

3D Space Harrier is pretty much on the same level of Taxman's ports, right down to the whole "adding content that wasn't in either game's original release" thing.

I seriously want to strangle somebody over this Hidden Palace zone stuff because why would you do all these cool things on a platform where on-screen touch controls are THE WORST?

Razzer

Hidden Palace being back is some cool shit. At this point I want them to just make a new game on the retro engine with Christian as lead programmer. He can help with some design too.

Hidden Palace being back is some cool shit. At this point I want them to just make a new game on the retro engine with Christian as lead programmer. He can help with some design too.

I think it's good he's remaking the original games to start with. He's going to know so much about the ins and outs of every little detail of every 16-bit Sonic stage (assuming they allow him to do S3&K), even more than when he first started with Sonic CD. He had to rebuild them, he had to retweak them, he had to test over and over. When they finally trust him with a new 2D Sonic game, and they should, he's going to know how to echo the original structure in a new product.

And then they're going to make him put homing attacks and Silver the Hedgehog in.

Razzer

I think it's good he's remaking the original games to start with. He's going to know so much about the ins and outs of every little detail of every 16-bit Sonic stage (assuming they allow him to do S3&K), even more than when he first started with Sonic CD. He had to rebuild them, he had to retweak them, he had to test over and over. When they finally trust him with a new 2D Sonic game, and they should, he's going to know how to echo the original structure in a new product.

And then they're going to make him put homing attacks and Silver the Hedgehog in.

The worst thing is that is exactly what would happen (well not silver but the gameplay would be altered.)

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #77
(yes this is early, shush)

Song: Drowning
Game: Various
Composer: Yukifumi Makino

I've got the last of my senior finals today. This sums up my feelings pretty well.

AniHawk

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #77
(yes this is early, shush)

Song: Drowning
Game: Various
Composer: Yukifumi Makino

I've got the last of my senior finals today. This sums up my feelings pretty well.

this always freaked me out when i was a kid. well, finals too. what are the subjects?

i've been playing a lot of non-sonic games recently as a procrastinate from returning to tearaway.

super mario 3d world - just fantastic.

gta v - a really weird game in that... i think they achieved the best possible balance rockstar could find, but i still find myself wondering if the game would be better if it did x... and that would come at the detriment of other element y. i do like, but a bunch of things feel like a missed opportunity.

metal gear rising: revengeance - watching the credits on this bad boy right now. this feels like a ps2 era game in 2013. i mean that in the best way possible, flaws and all.

tearaway's good too. i just don't know why i keep putting it off. i got pretty far and it's the one thing keeping me from starting zelda.

Top Bottom