• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sega Saturn

Neo Member
I'd rather it not?

While I'm all for them focusing on one gameplay style and having variant characters and leaving alternate styles to spin off games. There is a lot of stuff in classic sonic that I don't want to touch modern sonic and vice versa, both thematically and in terms of gameplay. I want them to be uniquie different and justify each others existence.

Like what? I would much rather have physics and momentum based gameplay than all the random approaches Sonic Team takes with the 3d games. We haven't gotten a single solid attempt at something even remotely similar to the classics. Or hell, barely even an attempt to flesh out a certain gameplay style before either ditching it or shoving in more additional characters.

OMG Aero

Like what? I would much rather have physics and momentum based gameplay than all the random approaches Sonic Team takes with the 3d games. We haven't gotten a single solid attempt at something even remotely similar to the classics. Or hell, barely even an attempt to flesh out a certain gameplay style before either ditching it or shoving in more additional characters.
With Unleashed/Colours/Generations they have a good style of gameplay for 3D Sonic, they just need to stick with it like they are doing with Forces and improve it rather than trying to reinvent the wheel every time like with Lost World.

Village

With Unleashed/Colours/Generations they have a good style of gameplay for 3D Sonic, they just need to stick with it like they are doing with Forces and improve it rather than trying to reinvent the wheel every time like with Lost World.

Some previews suggest , they have somehow... uh made it worse. Hope those are wrong.

Sega Saturn

Neo Member

There don't seem to be any improvements to the boost gameplay in Forces whatsoever. Only thing I noticed was that the homing attack is faster to end so it doesn't kill the pace of the game as horribly, but that's about it. Not to mention they're shoving in more gameplay styles. Same thing as the other boost games, same problems as all the other 3d Sonics.

Tizoc

Sonic Mania preload is up on PSN btw, both EU and US.

Pretty bummed about the PC delay but aaaaaaaaaaah
Gonna spend all night playing it since the day after I got an afternoon shift X3

OMG Aero

There don't seem to be any improvements to the boost gameplay in Forces whatsoever. Only thing I noticed was that the homing attack is faster to end so it doesn't kill the pace of the game as horribly, but that's about it. Not to mention they're shoving in more gameplay styles. Same thing as the other boost games, same problems as all the other 3d Sonics.
I'm pretty happy with where they got with Generations so if Modern Sonic controls just like he did in Generations I'm happy with that. Off the top of my head I can't think of anying immediately I would fix about it unlike Unleashed which had obvious flaws like the drift not working and air boost and homing attack being on the same button.
And what I've seen of the create a character gameplay (which is admittedly not a lot) doesn't look like that different from Modern Sonic. I'd say it's more similar to playing as Knuckles in Sonic 3&K or Amy in Sonic Adventure, basic gameplay is the same but you just have a few different abilities. It definitely doesn't look like a completely different gameplay style like the werehog.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm kind of sad there's no classic Sonic games available on the PS4 or Switch to play while I wait for Mania, I have an itch---

Guess I could swing by home tomorrow and pick up my GCN and the Sonic Mega Collection/Gems.

Fuck YouTube suggested videos

For some reason YouTube's started to send me messages (I don't even have an account!) of reccomended videos now directly to my phone like a text message, like the other day I had a bunch of Sonic OST's recommended and today I had some video called like "This Harem Anime Protagonist Isn't A Wimp".

Is it weird that I'm excited for Mania just because of the killer music and beautiful sprites? Like I'm not even a Sonic fan but I still wanna play the game?

As a kid, I was heavily into the online sprite-making community, especially Sonic sprites. I tried my hand at making an OC and editing sprites to make him look cool, but ultimately I fell out of it once high school hit. I frequented sites such as Sonic Stadium, Mario Fan Games Galaxy, The Spriter's Resource, etc., all because I loved the art of making sprites and appreciated them a ton.

Sprites from the classic Sonic games, in particular, impressed the shit out of me because of the high level of detail and massive amount of frames. Say what you want when comparing classic Sonic to classic Mario, but the pure amount of love and detail that went into every frame of animation of the former was unrivaled between the two.

Generations, to me, was a celebration of the fandom as a whole. As much as I hate to admit it, I've been in this shit through thick and thin. I beat Shadow the Hedgehog with every ending, I played through at least half of Sonic '06 and I tackled some of the weirder Game Gear games. I've been through some shit, man! Generations took the best moments of the best (And worst) games and made it all seem pretty good!

Mania, however, will be a reflection not only of the games themselves, but the community I was apart of for so long. I look forward to appreciating every little detail the visual designers managed to cram into this thing! :)

Sorry, I know it can be hard to get a nice OP together, but that's kind of ugly. Overused Gaslight font (at least mix it up, and take 5 seconds to clip the damn logo out), and the self-trolls like all the Archie crap... This game deserved better, yeah?

I wish we'd gotten together sooner and put together something nice-looking. The game has a very clear aesthetic, after all, even before the intro leaked out. I see all these nice GAF OPs, but the Sonic ones tend to look rough and rushed. I tried my best with the Sonic 4 Episode 2 OP, even though I'm no graphic designer.

Edit: You need to put more of an outline or backing behind the section headers; on mobile the scaling makes them harder to see.

Regiruler

Lost World's gameplay was great though. For once a 3D game had an enjoyable learning curve.

I think Sonic Team failed to see that it was a success, as the game got panned, but I believe that it was panned for a mixture of legitimate reasons (the game had some considerable polish problems and some of the game design was questionable) that Sonic Team missed, and some reviewers simply being poor at the game.

A legitimate Colors 2 with Lost World's gameplay would be incredible.

The fewer images and banners, the better.

Nothing gets me to scroll past an entire OP on first glance than that sort of padding.

That's nice. But you soaked up every second of this one, huh?

Sonic Forces plot twist:

It's secretly the third storybook game, but this time it's someone's fanfic.

It's all coming together!

6d8d32fb6583dbe375c37e71d84e6c0b.gif

Ayy, I was literally in the middle of reproducing your headers when you changed it. I appreciate the improvement. I really don't think you need the "Dark Theme Recommended" text either, personally.

Edit: Ah, thanks Guess Who, then.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Azure, I think you're taking the OT design a bit too seriously.

I get where he's coming from, because lord knows that there's a ton of OT habits on GAF that irritate me to no end.

But I put bloat and text-as-images on the top of my list. I've seen way too many posts that are wrecked once the user's image hosting account is taken offline when there's no reason for that to even be a possible issue in the first place.

Azure, I think you're taking the OT design a bit too seriously.

Maybe I'm just tired of people phoning it in for Sonic OTs. Mania is a pretty, colorful, richly-designed game, I was hoping to see that reflected. It doesn't detract from other OTs if done well.

I get where he's coming from, because lord knows that there's a ton of OT habits on GAF that irritate me to no end.

But I put bloat and text-as-images on the top of my list. I've seen way too many posts that are wrecked once the user's image hosting account is taken offline when there's no reason for that to even be a possible issue in the first place.

Oh no, some of the images in a 5 year old OT don't work.

And I'm kind of pissed you keep writing off my OT as "bloat". I put in release dates, prices, official story summary, features, and the only thing I'd call bloated is the Moves/Abilities section, due to all the padding. (I also regret putting the joke gif in there, but didn't say I was perfect.) But you're ignoring all that to whine about the header sizes.

Whatever. I just was disappointed with what I saw, and the actual readability problems. I won't talk about it any longer.

I have a busier life now than when I asked to make the thread. Apologies if I didn't live up to expectations. Just not that good anymore I guess.

Oh come on, I didn't say that. But if you needed help, you should've asked.

Well no but I did it the same way I did the SA2 thread. So I definitely am slipping.

I try to write and be funny to make up for my lack of graphical prowess but I think my heart wasn't in it this time. Mania is too exciting to be appropriately laissez-faire about.

If it helps, I appreciated the quirky tone to make up for the lack of visual prowess, partly because if I were making an OT I'd be going for the same angle.

Sciz

It's bad form to use elements that are only properly legible in one theme or the other (no matter how much better dark is), but otherwise it's in line with the style and tone of my own handful of OTs, so I ain't complaining.

Village

So what's gonna score better? Mania or Forc.....pfff hahahahahahaha

Mania is legit y'all

Yeah,

If forces was good it would score better. There are a bunch of people attached to their version of sonic. As much as I'm the first one to complain about how new sonic 3d games look not great, i'm also not going to pretend there isn't a bit of " i don't like these 3d games/furries/thisfanbase/these crazy people/ whatever thefuck" bias that exists. It won't exists in sales figures though, both games will probably do well. Unless forces does really bad, I doubt that though.

BlackJace

Honestly, I know the internet has a bias against the franchise, but I haven't felt this way towards the tone of a new entry since Shadow the Hedgehog. Like I can somewhat see where the teasing comes from with Forces. It looks to embrace some of the cringe worthy edge that past games have, not to mention going full on with original and supporting characters.

It's such an easy target.

Also, fucking Infinite's theme y'all.

"I am the darkest of nights, I am the sharpest of blades"

B r u h

Village

I don't blame fans, well besides when they are being assholes that's self accountability, but I don't blame fans.

I blame sega for making products that produce such a response

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was actually disappointed when Mania was revealed before Forces last year---not that Mania doesn't look fun, but I like to see companies succeed with bringing their characters into the modern age and taking the "easy way out", so to speak, and just going old-school rubbed me the wrong way. Of course now it seems Mania is far more than an easy retro throwback like Megaman 9 and 10 were, good games but nothing really memorable.

Forces though looks bad. I'm willing to give 3D Sonic a chance now, Generations was far better than I thought it'd be (the Modern segments the funnest surprisingly) and I thought Lost World had good ideas which needed to be refined with a sequel instead of abandoning the gameplay completely, but Forces has just failed to capture my interest whatsoever. Thing is the idea of custom animal characters I think is cool, if that makes me a furry so be it but I generally don't have an issue with the animal designs in Sonic bar a few exceptions, but the implementation looks weak and the actual gameplay bland. The promise of Sonic's old foes uniting is another idea that's cool on paper but it just doesn't draw me in.

I'll probably buy it and give it a shot, I gave Lost World a shot and had decent fun with it, but right now I don't know what we're getting with Forces.

Village

sonic forces will be a fun game that i will enjoy playing while laughing at infinite's edginess

It could also be a miserable creatively bankrupt experience that adds nothing and worsens the things it borrows from and infiintes edginess compounds on that.

That is a time line " Oh god its worse than I thought " is a time line.

My hopes is that the story is actually surprising well done and the gameplays just kinda eh. That's about where my hope is. Oh and they don't like... go back on shadows whole character for a cheap cash in , but that's more of a specific hope. But yeah those things, I hope those things. I expect... less

Mega Man 9 is far and away the best game that that franchise ever received.

I need to replay it, but when it first came out I thought it could be a little too punishing of experiencing something for the first time. Still thought it was great.

Legends, MM2 and X1 are still my favorites respectively.

Mega Man 9 is far and away the best game that that franchise ever received.

Possibly for the Classic titles at least, but I think by the time it hit ZX/ZXA the franchise had really carved out a strong evolution of that original formula, while each subseries still had elements that made them uniquely worthwhile and engaging. Then you toss in Battle Network and Legends and I'd say it's kinda hard to nail down a concrete best, though 9 would likely be a candidate at the end of the day (even if I personally prefer numerous other Classic titles to it).

The Mega Man tangent also relates back to Forces in a way. In some of the E3 footage Aaron mentioned that you can't change Wispons during stages ala Mega Man weapons, and I thought that sounded like a missed opportunity for actual Colors-style level pathing. Though, considering that there's not a lot of tangible, lengthy footage or even details on...well, the game in general, it's hard to get a feel for how that impacts things. I also want to know how they plan to split this damn game up between 3 characters effectively, so hopefully now that Mania's finally coming out we can get some more concrete info.

My hopes is that the story is actually surprising well done

Out of all the things to hope for, Pontac and Graff's inclusion have more or less killed this one for me. I mean I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, but judging by their previous work and the cutscene direction shown so far it seems like a given this won't end up as good as it could.

Though I do think he ride will be somewhat fun, whether intentionally or not, which is more than I can for LW's story.

RK128

So what's gonna score better? Mania or Forc.....pfff hahahahahahaha

Mania is legit y'all

It's going to be quite fun to see how critics react to Forces in comparison to Mania. Mania seems so focused on doing ONE thing right, while Forces clearly has troubled production issues.

It looks unfocused, it's tone could fall flat and I just have this bad feeling the game will be horrible despite the Modern Template implying otherwise. Just hope that when it releases, it will be 'okay' at the very least.

Mania proves that Sonic titles NOT DEVELOPED by Sonic Team can be great experiences. If Forces is horrible, that just puts the noose around Sonic Team's neck. They have one shot at things with Forces. They better do it right.

Village

Out of all the things to hope for, Pontac and Graff's inclusion have more or less killed this one for me. I mean I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, but judging by their previous work and the cutscene direction shown so far it seems like a given this won't end up as good as it could.

Though I do think he ride will be somewhat fun, whether intentionally or not, which is more than I can for LW's story.

Apparently , while they could muck up translation the story is by one of the guys who did shadow and silvers story in sonic 06. And while I wont say silvers story is anything to care about shadow's story was pretty cool so, it might be ok. Or the rest of the games story might be garbage and like 06 shadow's story might just be ok. Or maybe the reverse

So you know, timelines

TheOGB

Banned
Apparently , while they could muck up translation the story is by one of the guys who did shadow and silvers story in sonic 06. And while I wont say silvers story is anything to care about shadow's story was pretty cool so, it might be ok. Or the rest of the games story might be garbage and like 06 shadow's story might just be ok. Or maybe the reverse

So you know, timelines
And the timeline we're on is "the darkest of nights," "the sharpest of blades."

Top Bottom