• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Review Thread [Embargo Ends: Oct. 18th, 4:00 AM EDT]

Just watched some gameplay videos of the 3DS version and it looks and sounds incredibly half-baked. I guess with how the 3DS Sonic games have been selling well despite being hack jobs, Sega just doesn't care about quality. Dimps should have made Rush 3 instead.

The WiiU version seems decent, though.

Het_Nkik

Any review complaining about a lack of speed or Sonic moving too slow... I'm ignoring so hard. I fucking hate how fast Sonic has become. Gimme that Sonic 1 speed.

Anth0ny

Another bad Sonic game?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mediocre: Sonic Lost World lacks speed, precision and fluidity making it a big step back for the Blue Blur. After the success of Sonic 4, Colors, and Generations, this is a big disappointment for Sega’s speeding blue bullet. Sonic Lost Worlds clumsily tears all the wrong pages out of the Super Mario Galaxy playbook, and in so doing, loses the breathless speed and fluidity that makes a Sonic game a Sonic game. Graphically it may talk the talk, but the controls and level design just can’t walk the walk, much less run it.

rickgrimes7krgs.gif

NotLiquid

Wow, that stage is a mess. What's with the random boost pads into trees? And that popup, good grief.

I'll still play it whenever I get around to buying a Wii U, but man.

So you can parkour up the trees...?

Another bad Sonic game?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

rickgrimes7krgs.gif

IGN's review is crap and I'm saying that confidently as someone who is acknowledging the flaws this game has. There are better negative reviews to read than one that is mostly complaining how it isn't like they expected.

From the Joystiq review

The original Sega Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog is great fun up until the Labyrinth Zone, which dunks Sonic underwater for an agonizingly slow series of drowning deaths.
That's silly. The Labyrinth Zone was a great change of pace.

mf luder

The videos I've seen of reviews the players don't seem to be using all the controls or not using them very well, does the game teach you all the controls? Or do you have to experiment to find out some for yourself?

kunonabi

Any review complaining about a lack of speed or Sonic moving too slow... I'm ignoring so hard. I fucking hate how fast Sonic has become. Gimme that Sonic 1 speed.

i feel similar to the complaints about the difficulty and lives. people have bitched endlessly about that in the mario games and now they complain when Sega actually makes them matter again.

RagnarokX

Sonic has definitely needed more platforming, but unfortunately it doesn't appear that's what this game has done. The levels look very poorly designed and are bogged down in a haphazard assortment of adventure style tedious things to do. It's like the copied they bad parts of 3D Mario and married it with bad level design.

The level design kinda reminds me of like a 3D representation of Sonic CD's level design philosophy.

Sonic Team is a team of extremes.

They make Sonic games where the platforming is just pressing the homing attack button at the right time.

"We want more precision platforming!"

And then they make a game where Sonic slowly bounces on small square clouds over a bottomless pit with a Windows desktop in the background. Yeah, that's what people wanted.

Sonic Generations was already at a happy medium, maybe they could have had a bit more platforming, worked on the physics, but Lost World just looks like a lot of tedium. Some of the level design looks good, but then you have stuff like the bouncing on clouds, kill all enemies, collect butterflies, lure fruit to juicers... The wisps look worse than they were in Colors. Still springs and speed boosters everywhere.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I may have to cancel my preorder if its worse then colors or generations.....

Don't be silly, the game is fine and is a real joy to play sure it's has it flaws but nowhere the reviewers are making it out to be.

Reviewers are always wrong when it comes to reviewing Sonic games, especially IGN how they did the review for Sonic Unleashed HD.

Which is why I have learnt to ignore them long ago.

Sponge

Banned
I'm shocked at all the bad reviews. Although I never listen to these. Unleashed had a handful of bad reviews and it's one of my favorite Sonic games.

Lijik

Reviews are all over the place, but based on the stream I watched the game is too so I guess thats kinda fitting haha

I cant believe people are complaining about the music in this stage? Its not the best but I was expecting crazy bus levels of bad the way some of ya'll were talking about it. You guys do know its not like a game without having to shit over every aspect to prove it, right? That shits childish

Just watched some gameplay videos of the 3DS version and it looks and sounds incredibly half-baked. I guess with how the 3DS Sonic games have been selling well despite being hack jobs, Sega just doesn't care about quality. Dimps should have made Rush 3 instead.

The WiiU version seems decent, though.

They did, its called Sonic Colors DS

Endo Punk

Quite surprised by the reviews. The game looks to have a good balance between speed and platforming. Critics really put Sonic on some high pedestal.

I agree with that, though I loved the game at the time, replaying it recently made me realize the 1st level was great, the rest not so much.

Sonic 1 was the first video game I ever played, so I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but honestly after the first level its a pretty mixed bag. Sonic 2 fulfills a lot of the promise in the first game, but I think it gets worse as it goes along, with the last 1/3rd being pretty frustrating. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is about as close to perfection they got with the formula, top to to bottom a fantastic video game that I still pull out to play once a year on my old Genesis, right up there with DKC2 and Rayman Origins for my favorite 2D platformers. Probably in my top 10 favorite games, honestly.

Sonic 1 had some good ideas at the center of it, but I always felt the later Genesis games were what Sonic 1 was suppose to be.

Effect

The videos I've seen of reviews the players don't seem to be using all the controls or not using them very well, does the game teach you all the controls? Or do you have to experiment to find out some for yourself?

There is also a manual people can read. So I don't see why anyone should have trouble with any controls unless the manual of all things doesn't include any information which is doubtful. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some reviewers outright ignored it. If the game doesn't properly explain things that's a fault with the game however that's not an excuse to not properly learn the controls as there are still ways of learning what button do what no matter what.

Sponge

Banned
Quite surprised by the reviews. The game looks to have a good balance between speed and platforming. Critics really put Sonic on some high pedestal.

It's been like this since 2006. We had one disaster and now Sonic has to jump every hurdle to be good in peoples eyes now, I guess.

'06 crumbled likely mainly due to his departure, and due to the team split where half the team went to do Secret Rings.

I'm pretty sure it was who directed that game, Shun Nakamura. He hasn't directed a Sonic game since, and for good reason.

Sciz

I cant believe people are complaining about the music in this stage? Its not the best but I was expecting crazy bus levels of bad the way some of ya'll were talking about it. You guys do know its not like a game without having to shit over every aspect to prove it, right? That shits childish

That track does skew too close to Mario for my tastes. But others don't.

JonCha

Still interested in this. Mixed bag of reviews matched up with a mixed bag of GAF impressions from my brief skimming of the OT. Looked decent from the demos online, wonder what's gone wrong.

Reviews are fucking all over the place, some love it, some hate it, sounds like a modern sonic game

Just wait for user impressions and make your own judgement call

LTWheels

The reviews are all other the place. It's going to be one those games where you need to play it yourself to see where you stand. I think Destructoid's review see understands why some like the game and other's don't.

I'm interested to play the game as I have been one of those that have advocated that sonic games are suppose to be platformers, not gloried time trials.

Hale-XF11

but for most it will be a distinctly average experience.

*Sigh*

I expected as much for the 3DS version, unfortunately. Everything I've seen of it so far looks horribly generic, repetitive, empty, dull and soulless.

I review the game (Wii U version) for my website (italian only, sorry guys) and gave it an 8. It's a solid, fun and engaging platform, that dares to revolutionize some of the fundamentals of Sonic games (slowing down the gameplay actually was a very good move). It still lacks the brilliance of Nintendo's platformers, but it's a solid foundation for future Sonic games.

A collegue of mine reviewed the 3DS version and gave it a 6.5. He felt it was underbaked and with a chaotic direction.

AniHawk

the 3ds game should have been a 2d affair, if only to avoid complete direct comparisons with the wii u game. like when you get bounced to the next area in the wii u game, you're actually hitting those jump pads/bounce pads or whatever. in the 3ds game, you hit just one and then it's the same image of sonic flying through the air as it loads the next sequence. confusing as to why they did they felt the two games had to be similar but different.

Shaanyboi

Banned
After the success of Sonic 4, Colors, and Generations, this is a big disappointment for Sega’s speeding blue bullet. Sonic Lost Worlds clumsily tears all the wrong pages out of the Super Mario Galaxy playbook, and in so doing, loses the breathless speed and fluidity that makes a Sonic game a Sonic game. Graphically it may talk the talk, but the controls and level design just can’t walk the walk, much less run it.

...what?

Toxi

Banned
I have to disagree with a lot of you. The original Sonic the Hedgehog is fantastic from beginning to end. Really, I love all the zones in that game. Its sequel, on the other hand, has a solid first half but inconsistent second.
I disagree. Metropolis gets a lot of flak for how long and challenging it is, but once you get a feel for how the enemies operate, it can be pretty fun. And I love Oil Ocean.

The worst level is Sky Fortress (Or whatever it was called); too much platforming over bottomless pits.
See "Sonic was never good even in the Genesis days" bullshit narrative that's come about recently.
Holy shit, people really say that?

I want more platforming in Sonic. Slow down.

I want more on-rails and SPEED in Sonic

They just can't win.
All the good reviews like that its more platforming LIKE the ORIGINALS.
All the bad reviews are complaining about speed

Sponge

Banned
After the success of Sonic 4, Colors, and Generations, this is a big disappointment for Sega’s speeding blue bullet. Sonic Lost Worlds clumsily tears all the wrong pages out of the Super Mario Galaxy playbook, and in so doing, loses the breathless speed and fluidity that makes a Sonic game a Sonic game.

I am going to flip if I keep seeing this. Sonic isn't all about speed, he's supposed to have some platforming in there too.

Pretty wide range of scores there. I've never been a Sonic fan, I've tried over the years but the only time I ever actually enjoyed one was the night stages of Unleashed. That said Lost World looks pretty fun, I'll give it a go when I eventually get a Wii U.

I think I'll still at least check it out. I'm more interested in a polarizing Sonic game than one that just gets 6s and 7s across the board.

Azure J

Holy shit, people really say that?

Yep.

I don't know what to say about this all. Lost World looks interesting enough even now that I will get it and play it to make my own opinion. All the same, it kinda sucks that Sonic Team couldn't knock one right out of the park with this one. I also hope they don't abandon some of the mechanics and design they've put into place for this one. Refine it more.

Revven

I can't help but feel like these scores are so harsh because it's a 3D Sonic game and thus because it's mediocre and not like Generations or Colors, it somehow falls to being just as bad as Shadow or Sonic '06. Which to me sounds all kinds of wrong, but that's the impression you get with some of these scores (mostly the lower ones). And we know it's not the kind of technical and broken mess that Sonic '06 is.

I haven't had the time to read the written text of these reviews in particular but I did scan through Jim Sterling's and his sounded to be like the perfect criticism for the game. A mediocre Sonic game that can be used to be improved upon via a new game.

I'm not sure if I have the money to pick it up day 1 but I'll keep my eye out for GAF impressions post-release and make my decision from there.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I want more platforming in Sonic. Slow down.

I want more on-rails and SPEED in Sonic

They just can't win.
All the good reviews like that its more platforming LIKE the ORIGINALS.
All the bad reviews are complaining about speed

That's the thing about Sonic; everyone has a different speed-to-platforming ratio that they feel that the games should be at. The folks who believe that speed is Sonic's defining trait might prefer the Boost Trio to Lost World, the folks who don't really care about speed will probably prefer Lost World, others might think that Generations is too fast and Lost World is too slow.

Wait, people don't like this video? I think it looks great. The level design looks nice and I think the music is absolutely fantastic.

Then again, I've never played a Sonic game before and have always been a Mario fan, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thats the point. It looks and sounds like a fucking mario game.

Top Bottom