• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic artist accuses SEGA of stealing his Amy model

Griffon

What a dumb ass

He just ruined his name for future hiring over the obvious fact that whatever you work on at a company, they own it. It's like that for pretty much everyone.

He should've kept the matter private and offer them a way to solve this discreetly (by putting his name on the credits of the new game).
But drama-queen gotta take everything public immediately. He just fucked up his career over nothing.

kiphalfton

So he made the model for sega in the past and is mad because they didn't give him credit for a new game? if so thats dumb. Its not his .. he made it for them.

Yeah... that's how it works at every other company (i.e. for instance the companies I've worked for have essentially put a clause in my employment agreement saying that any inventions, ideas, etc. that are subject to copyright laws that I come up with while employed with the company belong to the company).

ZoukGalaxy

I'm confused, not telling who's right but.... It's a copyrighted character owned by SEGA, so... they could just reply to the guy, did you have our authorization to create this asset of our character ? If yes, then they can just reply "it's our property anyway", I don't know if artist contract mention the fact that his name must be credited forever.

Anyway, that's probably another copyrights/ethics headache question.

So he made the model for sega in the past and is mad because they didn't give him credit for a new game? if so thats dumb. Its not his .. he made it for them.
This exactly.

Last edited:

LRKD

It sucks not to be credited, for a model you clearly made for them. Yeah he should be fully aware it's quite standard they may only credit you once, and then continue to reuse it forever without even a mention. However I think we should all sympathize a little bit, if they can credit the pizza delivery men in credits why can't they credit the artists? I don't care if it isn't industry standard, the standards should change. But even more of a problem is Sega claiming it was internally made as an original model specifically for this game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It sucks not to be credited, for a model you clearly made for them. Yeah he should be fully aware it's quite standard they may only credit you once, and then continue to reuse it forever without even a mention. However I think we should all sympathize a little bit, if they can credit the pizza delivery men in credits why can't they credit the artists? I don't care if it isn't industry standard, the standards should change. But even more of a problem is Sega claiming it was internally made as an original model specifically for this game.

He was not apart of the project and such information rarely gets kept.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
His model is essentially a Sonic with bangs and eyelashes. Not like this is some wholly original idea he came up with.

IAmRei

as long as i know, amy is sega's property. yeah i know it's still suck, but that's also i think, should be mentioned in the contract as well usually.

Top Bottom