• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld: Modders and Devs show evidence that the game copies Pokémon (Up: evidence faked, confirmed as hoax)

MrA

Banned
A parody is an imitation of something that is exaggerated for comedic effect. Like Space Balls was to Star Wars.

That's 100% what Palworld is, it's this ridiculous exaggerated version of Pokemon that pokes fun at the cognitive dissonance of that game where Pokemon are both friends/pets and where you battle them like Pitbulls. As Palworld progresses the exploitation of the Pals gets more and more ridiculous, along with the violence.

What is this take? How could anything be more obviously a parody?
If you think Palworld constitutes parody, you've got an incredibly low bar for parody, considering all the marketing material is played 100% straight I think the whole poking fun narrative (and that alone isn't parody) is just your head and if they start selling palworld plushies, that's completely out the window.

like I said
given that it is a commercial product the standard for fair use is quite a bit higher, and the question will come down to whether or not Palworld creates consumer confusion, the game itself is 100% in the clear, and gameplay has to be nearly identical and not something generic to violate copyright (Tetris co brought down some tetris clone and atari stopped k c munchkin but fighter's history was ok despite being similar to street fighter 2 and karate champ vs world karate championship was all good despite looking like they could be the same game, but not copyright protected because a martial arts fight is a martial arts fight)
The character designs get murkier, especially if Pocket Pair tries to merchandise the pals they'll be under much more scrutiny and like I said earlier if they cause market confusion will be a big test. Which involves a mess of comparisons of similarity and percentages

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think people are getting mixed up here and putting nintendo fans in the same bracket as rhe lunatic westerners who attack stuff for the weirdest things.

All of my friends are nintendo and specifically pokemon fans, more than nontendo fans and they love the game and just laugh and shout out oh shit that looks like ...whatever the weird pokemons name is.

mcjmetroid

I think people are getting mixed up here and putting nintendo fans in the same bracket as rhe lunatic westerners who attack stuff for the weirdest things.

All of my friends are nintendo and specifically pokemon fans, more than nontendo fans and they love the game and just laugh and shout out oh shit that looks like ...whatever the weird pokemons name is.
I think Pokemon fans are a different subset of Nintendo fan.
I think most Nintendo fans like myself laugh at how crap the Pokemon games are and how the fans eat it up.

They're noticeably the lowest quality Nintendo related game out there by a large margin.

I would put money on even Nintendo developers themselves rolling their eyes at the Pokemon company and their output.

Ribi

Everyone is a lawyer now yet I haven't seen one example of reddit/gaf chair lawyers posting their bar association and uspto exam scores. Also this could pass as a parody or as an added "something else" that transcends just a copy paste job.

You cannot copyright a style/vibe. And thank god for that, all the people (read: jealous Pokemon fans) glamouring for it don't think 0.5 milliseconds ahead. Imagine if all black fizz drinks were banned because Coca Cola did it 'first.' Imagine if all 3D movies where characters had big eyes were banned because Pixar made Toy Story. Etc. Good luck making anything that doesn't infringe on a vibe by some company somewhere. Palworld is only in the same style as Pokemon, and it is 100% allowed under all copyright legislation.

anNsmn1.jpg

Papa_Wisdom

Anyone else getting too old for this shit
You cannot copyright a style/vibe. And thank god for that, all the people (read: jealous Pokemon fans) glamouring for it don't think 0.5 milliseconds ahead. Imagine if all black fizz drinks were banned because Coca Cola did it 'first.' Imagine if all 3D movies where characters had big eyes were banned because Pixar made Toy Story. Etc. Good luck making anything that doesn't infringe on a vibe by some company somewhere. Palworld is only in the same style as Pokemon, and it is 100% allowed under all copyright legislation.

anNsmn1.jpg
all I see are cans of Dr Pepper

/s

Saber

Gold Member
I think the most concerning issue is not whether it's a rip-off or not, but that they simply do not care about making their product look unique at all.

This declining industry is rewarding devs that have ZERO originality

Games like Digimon and Monster Rancher had developers that cared about making the design and art style look unique, for instance.
Palworld just copied Pokemon design guidelines and called it a day. So lame.

81zVfxiXddL._RI_.jpg

latest

It doesn't matter.
All of them were accused of being Pokemon rip-offs, regardless of creativity.
See how difficult for them to be even localized. Lol I remember when Cyber-Sleuth launched it was called nothing but a rip-off, even though Digimon has being stabilished for ages.
Now ask anybody if they call Pokemon a rip-off when they created megas on XY. Or Zigzagoon eyes resemble typical Digimon design.
Pokemon monopolyze the monster genre and they got their fanbase to shoo any creative monster entertaiment by defenfing monopolization of monsters, which was created first by DQ.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If you think Palworld constitutes parody, you've got an incredibly low bar for parody, considering all the marketing material is played 100% straight
"Marketing" is not relevant to that conversation and the fact that you bring that up probably says more about how you are getting your knowledge of the game.

Palworld is clearly parody, but I should stress I don't think that's relevant to the legal issue because I don't think it crosses any lines that require the parody exception to begin with. But fwiw the bar for parody is quite low and Palworld more than clears it.

The main reason I mention that it's a parody is less about the legal argument and more to say that the similarities on art style are a deliberate choice to evoke Pokemon for the purpose of making fun of it than they are about not being able to create something original.
like I said
given that it is a commercial product the standard for fair use is quite a bit higher,
What the fuck does fair use have to do with it? There's no copyrighted material being used, fairly or otherwise.
and the question will come down to whether or not Palworld creates consumer confusion,
Right, which is ultimately going to be litigated more on trademarks than anything else.

You have a phone? Go on the store and type in "Minecraft." Look how many games come up that look and play almost identically to Minecraft. These games are way closer in look and feel to Minecraft than Palworld will ever be to Pokemon. So tell me about the bar for consumer confusion.

Last edited:

Euler007

Don't see the need to try to prove it's satire or a parody. Nothing wrong with ripping off a market leader that gets fat and lazy. You can't copyright idea for a game or methods of playing it. See Asteroids vs. Meteors (1981), PAC-MAN vs. K.C. Munchkin (1982), Karate Champ vs. World Karate Champ (1988).

For an example of when copyright is applicable, see Tetris vs. Mino (2012). Same board size, same seven pieces, same movement.

An example : Pikachu! Can I make a game and call it Pokemon? No. Can I make Palworld and include Pikachu? No. Can I make Palworld and include Sparkit, a small electric rodent? Yes. Can I do 152 times? Yes.

Saber

Gold Member
Didn't people say the same thing of genshin impact which was more of a ripoff than this, that game is still around flourishing and I don't think they got sued.

And Genshin Impact creator clearly stated in a interview that copy and took inspiration with Breath of Wild, while took the libertity of put his touchs in the gameplay aspect.
Funnily enough we had old videos at time of people being absurdly mad with this game, to the point of breaking consoles during demons.

Fbh

Did people forget that when they originally showed their proof of concept that all the models were just pokemon? I still remember the thread here where Nintendo took it down.

They've never been shy about the fact it's supposed to be "pokemon with guns".
But unless it can be proven that they are using copyrighter material I don't see how there's a legal case against it. As far as I know doing a "bootleg" version of something isn't illegal as long as you don't make 1:1 copies and try to mislead people into thinking your product is something that it isn't.

Like remember all the Power Rangers (Super Sentai) clones?

Squadron Sport Rangers
squadron-sport-ranger.jpg

Big Bad Battleborgs
sddefault.jpg

VR Troopers
image-w1280.jpg

And many more.
They were all blatantly uninspired Powe Rangers clones but that doesn't make it illegal.

Alebrije

anNsmn1.jpg
Meanwhile at Take2/ Rockstar

Euler007

And Genshin Impact creator clearly stated in a interview that copy and took inspiration with Breath of Wild, while took the libertity of put his touchs in the gameplay aspect.
The stamina based "climb everywhere and glide!" is mostly Moonstadt / Liyue and the most boring traversal of the game. The traversal got a lot more interesting in the following zones. The combat is not at all inspired by BOTW.

tkscz

They've never been shy about the fact it's supposed to be "pokemon with guns".
But unless it can be proven that they are using copyrighter material I don't see how there's a legal case against it. As far as I know doing a "bootleg" version of something isn't illegal as long as you don't make 1:1 copies and try to mislead people into thinking your product is something that it isn't.

Like remember all the Power Rangers (Super Sentai) clones?

Squadron Sport Rangers
squadron-sport-ranger.jpg

Big Bad Battleborgs
sddefault.jpg

VR Troopers
image-w1280.jpg

And many more.
They were all blatantly uninspired Powe Rangers clones but that doesn't make it illegal.
I agree with you and we need look no further than the lawsuit Nintendo won that allowed them to get as big as they are now
Donkey Kong Nintendo GIF

Universal tried to sue Nintendo claiming this was too close to King Kong. They lost allowing Nintendo to keep the rights to Donkey Kong.

Astray

Gold Member
The only real way Nintendo has any claim over Palworld is if they prove the models were ripped somehow. That would probably constitute stealing assets. I think Nintendo pouncing so quickly on the Pokemon modders is evidence their team is on this already in some way or another, so wouldn't be surprised if they try.

Last edited:

Phase

I think the main reason pokemon fans are so annoyed is because palworld shows a vision of what a visually pleasing pokemon game could look like.

It validates how underwhelming gamefreak are.

Like it legitimately looks 3 generations ahead of the latest pokemon game. And it'll likely still look better than the next pokemon LOL

And now every subsequent pokemon game is gonna get compared to palworld and it's potential sequels.
This might be the kick in the butt Nintendo needs to actually make a next-gen Pokémon game.

Phase

They're not even at launch PS4 game level yet.
Very true. I know from watching vids that I wouldn't enjoy this game, but I want it to continue succeeding to put Nintendo's feet to the fire. They need competition and it's better for all of us that they have it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don’t have a horse in this race, but I do think it would be incredibly entertaining and interesting if Nintendo/Game Freak filed a lawsuit against the Palworld devs. I genuinely have no idea how it would go.

I don’t have a horse in this race, but I do think it would be incredibly entertaining and interesting if Nintendo/Game Freak filed a lawsuit against the Palworld devs. I genuinely have no idea how it would go.
I honestly don't. I like Nintendo, and don't want to see them pissing away millions of dollars in potential game development budget getting slaughtered in court.

GHound

I didn't see this posted here, but apparently this guy from the op was lying!!

TbSItjE.png

Edit: Draugoth Draugoth , you might want to add this to the OP

People like this, the fandrones, and the "anonymous source" on the gaming trash rag that claimed they'd stand in court as an expert that Palworld has plagiarized Porkermans but won't put their name to their opinion to even try and give it merit.

lol
lmao even

Last edited:

Deerock71

I would be shocked if this doesn't make Nintendo feel a tremor in The Force. Ultimately, one would hope The Pokemon Company would stop resting on their laurels (and their BILLIONS) and get off their ass and produce something that competes with this.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I didn't see this posted here, but apparently this guy from the op was lying!!

TbSItjE.png

Edit: Draugoth Draugoth , you might want to add this to the OP

Who would guess a random anonymous twitter dweller would be lying? And theres still people saying this was all proved based on his tweets, as if it was some sort of solid court evidence. Already knew about the models size.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

People like this, the fandrones, and the "anonymous source" on the gaming trash rag that claimed they'd stand in court as an expert that Palworld has plagiarized Porkermans but won't put their name to their opinion to even try and give it merit.

lol
lmao even

Guess they won’t be playing the next gta then as it glorifies murder? 🤔

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
It doesn't matter.
All of them were accused of being Pokemon rip-offs, regardless of creativity.
From the point of view of a developer that cares about what they're doing, yes it matters.
I don't think it's healthy for a developer to embrace the mentality of "it doesn't matter" and proceed to rip off something else in frustration, without remorse or care.

Loud fanboys make a lot of noise, but they are far from being the voice of reason.

If the developer has created something truly unique, they should hold their ground and fight for it.
If they have a perceivable unique creation, people will gradually acknowledge it as different and celebrate it for what it is.

Fanboys will be fanboys regardless, but that's their problem.
Let them scream and whine. Eventually they grow out of it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Nintendo can’t sue anyone unless exact assets were used. Hell, devs could have used Pokémon and modeled them 1 to 1 and as long as they differ by some small percentage of polygons palworld will win in court.

Also fuck Nintendo, Palworld is great!

Saber

Gold Member
From the point of view of a developer that cares about what they're doing, yes it matters.
I don't think it's healthy for a developer to embrace the mentality of "it doesn't matter" and proceed to rip off something else in frustration, without remorse or care.

Wasn't talking about the side of devs. I'm talking about the side of people that can't accept a bird or cartepillar monster because apparently Pokemon create those. I welcome monster catching/training games, but some people can't miss opportunity to call them rip-offs, regardless of the originality and creativity the devs put effort on.

nial

Gold Member
The fanbase, perhaps. As for The Pokémon Company… meh. I suspect Nintendo will eventually take some kind of legal action but I doubt they’re worried.

The reality is they release broke ass games and sell 10 million copies in 3 days, 23 million copies in a year. Palworld is never gonna touch that. People complained about issues with Sword and Shield for years and still ran right out and bought Scarlet and Violet in droves. The moment the next Pokémon game is announced, people will be jizzing their pants.

Nintendo might sue to send a message but there’s no way they’re financially worried about another soon-to-fizzle Pokémon clone. 🤷

Edit: Yes, “soon-to-fizzle”. Once the honeymoon period wears off, which it inevitably will, the player count will settle to a small niche while the mad rush of people who jumped on board the hype train will have moved on and will only remember the game at the end of the year when it comes up in “games of 2024” discussions.
Oka.

LordNerevar76

Neo Member
Again, what is this meme comment?

Pokémon is an iconic franchise with over 1000 recognizable designs, and everything good about the monster collection in PalWorld has mechanically already been done better in Pokémon Legends Arceus and will no doubt be implemented again in future entries.

Clearly it’s trendy to say but sans base-building there’s genuinely nothing about this game that outdoes Pokemon’s best (PLA) and resource management/crafting is the absolute last thing Pokemon as a series needs.
As a pokemon fan I think you're blind if you can't see some improvements that future Pokemon games could make inspired by Palworld. A greater emphasis on exploration, partner skills, universal utility of Pokemon outside of fights, and personally I think the action based system (opposed to turn based) are all just a handful of non-survival elements that could potentially improve a future Pokemon game.

Also, as good as I also think PLA was, there's no guarantee that's where they take the franchise after how much Scarlet/Violet regressed. They don't necessarily seem committed to that innovative vision that PLA proposed.

Addendum: I'd also like to add that despite being an indie early access game, Palworld runs far better than any Pokemon game since the 3ds days (the switch isn't an excuse, there's dozens of quality Nintendo games that run very smoothly on the system).

Last addendum: Don't forget multiplayer/co-op! The fact that we don't have a PLA like co op pokemon game is a travesty.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Imagine how pissed these people would've been if they found out practically every other fighting game was a street fighter 2 clone.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hmm

Inquiries Regarding Other Companies’ Games

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

The Pokémon Company

Moneal

Top Bottom