• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 2 but you can SEE IT ALLL! 🦔

Soodanim

Gold Member
VG Maps are cool. Shows the complexity of old games, and you get to see some patterns and design choices you wouldn’t normally notice.

That’s much better than other efforts I’ve seen, is that a different method to the old stitching things together approach, or is it just done with more effort? Usually things are removed from view when they’re off screen and that’s shown in the video.

Last edited:

Miles708

The level design in Sonic games for Mega Drive is so excellent... so complex and still fast, straightforward and fun.
The mixture of character design, perfect gameplay, masterful level design and outstanding soundtracks explain how these games are legendary.

Very very interesting video, thanks OP.

Jethalal

Banned
Ahhhh, back when Sonic was good.

The whole thing about speed and "gotta go fast" was somewhat of a mismatch because the games were more about using momentum to reach high areas and explore the level. Multiple "routes" through each level, depending on the jumps you made or missed.
Are there any games which use super-speed properly? I liked Infamous: First Light but nothing else comes to mind.

NeoGiffer

Can it see it all and can't see at all.

tenor.gif

UnNamed

Banned
It's an interesting way to play it, even is sometimes you have no idea where Sonic is.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Wait, did I just see Sonic releasing the animals before killing Robotnik?
That confused me too at first, but I think it’s a side effect of disabling the screen limits. The animals are always there, you just can’t normal access them. So when he runs through the boss area Robotnik is triggered but there’s nothing locking Sonic in the boss area. By the time Robotnik’s slow ass shows up, the switch is pressed

Banned
The level design in Sonic games for Mega Drive is so excellent... so complex and still fast, straightforward and fun.
The mixture of character design, perfect gameplay, masterful level design and outstanding soundtracks explain how these games are legendary.

Very very interesting video, thanks OP.

uhm, as a Sonic fan myself, a haaard disagree to that.
SOME levels are great, others are complete and utter dogshit.
and Sonic 1 is terribly designed throughout as it requires you to know the level for it to be not unfair, meaning there are blind jumps (big no no when it comes to platformer Leveldesign) cheap traps and other elements that just kill you if you don't know the level or if you run faster than 2km/h

Miles708

uhm, as a Sonic fan myself, a haaard disagree to that.
SOME levels are great, others are complete and utter dogshit.
and Sonic 1 is terribly designed throughout as it requires you to know the level for it to be not unfair, meaning there are blind jumps (big no no when it comes to platformer Leveldesign) cheap traps and other elements that just kill you if you don't know the level or if you run faster than 2km/h

I'll agree Sonic 1 is the worst of the Mega Drive trio.
Can't agree at all on the other 2, though.

I can agree with this on Sonic CD. That is almost constant bullshit.

Last edited:

tkscz

Wait is that hidden passage towards the end real?

I'll agree Sonic 1 is the worst of the Mega Drive trio.
Can't agree at all on the other 2, though.

I can agree with this on Sonic CD. That is almost constant bullshit.

Holy crap Sonic CD is a terrible game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom