• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something mysterious is killing 11,000 nearby galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Galactus. There, problem solved!

First Response, well done

giphy.gif

Kalentan

lol i was thinking the same. Damn flood

If I recall, I believe the Forerunner books hinted that it's very likely most of the galaxies in the universe have already fallen to the Flood. So it's possible The Milky Way galaxy is literally surrounded by hundreds of galaxies full of flood.

That's a scary thought. Since it means you could never wipe out the Flood.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I see all the bases were covered except for mentioning Hellstar Remina or that really dumb foundation article.

51pNanu08uL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In the early years of the 23rd century, archaeology has expanded to the stars. Teams of linguists, historians, and engineers are excavating ruins on a number of planets in search of clues about the Monument-Makers, whose civilization was leaving its mark on distant worlds when our ancestors were inventing the wheel. Coming from a planet whose population has outgrown its resources, these archaeological teams must race to finish their work before colonists from Earth are sent to occupy these worlds. Priscilla ``Hutch'' Hutchins serves as pilot for one of the teams. Though untrained in archaeology, she's the one who first sees connections between the spectacular monuments left on various worlds and the peculiar, massive false cities made of solid cubes of rock. These cities, composed only of right angles, appear with regularity throughout the galaxy; all show signs of having been subjected to massive destructive forces. Scientific curiosity and grief over the accidental death of their leader take Hutch and the remains of the team to the edge of the galaxy. There they encounter the Monument- Makers and are faced with a mystery whose solution may hold the key to human survival. McDevitt (The Hercules Text, not reviewed) is at his best award-winning style in this intelligent and wide-ranging novel. -- Copyright ©1994, Kirkus Associates, LP. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

labx

Banned
I'm okey going like this, but can it be after april? I want to play Persona 5 so bad. I'm not asking much Thanos, Reapers, etc., etc. Then you can wipe this whole mess.

Thanks!

commedieu

Banned
Ah. So all this matter is sucked up, but not destroyed. So I imagine it's being condensed some how. Or elsewhere stored in a state?

This just verified my theory that the universe is a heart that expands and collapses over and over again.

I think just about every popular video game, anime, and sci-if reference has been made in this thread. Nice job GAF.

I would imagine that this process is far from instantaneous.

It says over the course of 10 million years or so. So not instantaneous, but relatively quickly on a cosmic scale.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Ah. So all this matter is sucked up, but not destroyed. So I imagine it's being condensed some how. Or elsewhere stored in a state?

This just verified my theory that the universe is a heart that expands and collapses over and over again.

From what I understand of the paper, the gas around the small galaxies gets trapped by the gravitational pull of dark matter as they pass through large dark matter 'halos', hence 'stripped' off it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I immediately thought of this video by Kurzgesagt about Vacuum Decay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFm6DxNVyI

The process being described in the OP takes place over 10 million years. It's happening 'quickly' on timescales compared with how insanely slowly stuff usually happens in space.

We'd never see a vacuum decay coming, because it propagates at the speed of light. There'd be no prior indication, and no possible prior indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom