• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It rains solid diamonds on Uranus and Neptune (WaPo)

Piecake

Consider this your daily reminder that the solar system is even more awesomely bonkers than you realized: On Uranus and Neptune, scientists forecast rain storms of solid diamonds.

The gems form in the hydrocarbon-rich oceans of slush that swath the gas giants' solid cores. Scientists have long speculated that the extreme pressures in this region might split those molecules into atoms of hydrogen and carbon, the latter of which then crystallize to form diamonds. These diamonds were thought to sink like rain through the ocean until they hit the solid core.

But no one could prove that this would really work — until now. In a study published this week in the journal Nature Astrophysics, researchers say they were able to produce this "diamond rain" using fancy plastic and high-powered lasers.

The results will be useful not just for understanding the outer gas giants but for improving the process of making diamonds. Most lab-grown stones are produced via a blasting process, but Kraus and Gericke suggest that using lasers may make production cleaner and easier to control. Those stones can then be used for semiconductors, drill bits and solar panels, not to mention instruments that mimic the conditions inside the very gas planets that inspired this research.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...on-uranus-and-neptune/?utm_term=.23e874d32d9f

Omadahl

Banned
You know what's neat? I just told my five year old about this and she wants to know how big the diamonds are. Curiosity is a beautiful thing.

theWB27

Pretty awesome. Bet there's a metal or some substance that absorbs light and dispels energy at a rate that could completely change the way we live.

yunbuns

tenor.gif

Disxo

Thats really neat, Imagine the pressures involved, damn, but...Diamonds are pretty common, news at 11.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Mmmm. DeBeers.

That will get the corporations scrambling for space.

Except that diamonds are a relatively common and worthless stone whose value is completely arbitrary and supported by basically a single corporation. Not to be that guy, but DeBeers is evil and Diamonds are not precious. They are useful in some industrial applications and otherwise an irrational thing that causes tremendous harm.

Epcott

That is amazing, I love science.

I also love the thought of diamonds all over "your anus" jokes that'll no doubt pop up... (womp womp).

I wonder if that would mean more advanced efforts to go, explore, and eventually mine them for the resource (sooner than later)? Oh wait, cartels and cost/time of travel. /sadface

Woorloog

Banned
I thought this was known? Or was this merely speculated before?

Could you imagine going there and sucking up a few hundred of those? You'll make some mad money with that.

Nah, not cost-effective. Even if it were profitable, the profit margin would likely be so small it would not be really worth it.
Artificial diamonds are cheaper, or would be, if not for the cartels that keep diamond prices high.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm very disappointed to read "rains diamonds" in the title and then discover they form in the ocean and then sink lower in the ocean "like rain".

I mean, I guess technically rain can sink in the ocean, but that's super boring!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah the only problem with mining those Neptunian diamonds is the giant diamond kraken's that live in the oceans the size of a small city.

WaterAstro

It's funny making this statement when there are so many diamonds on Earth, but we don't know about it because diamond companies manipulate media to make us think it's precious when there are a lot of them out there.

Forgot our solar system. Do people know there is a star that is determined to actually be one giant diamond?

Koomaster

Seems not like a good business venture to go and get them though. In order to pay for spacecraft/fuel/time/etc you'd have to bring back a shitload of diamonds - and then you what, flood the market with them making them worthless.

Woorloog

Banned
Getting there would just devalue diamonds to the point of being worthless.
Economy ruins everything

The only thing keeping diamond price high are cartels and artificial scarcity. They're not that valuable really.

And them being really worthless (more worthless than they'd be even without artificial scarcity) would be a boon, for that would allow diamond use for all sorts of things they're good for but can't be used as it is.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The only thing keeping diamond price high are cartels and artificial scarcity. They're not that valuable really.

And them being really worthless (more worthless than they'd be even without artificial scarcity) would be a boon, for that would allow diamond use for all sorts of things they're good for but can't be used as it is.
Good point
DeBeers wouldn't be pleases tho

(Fuck DeBeers)

Woorloog

Banned
Remember, once upon a time, aluminum was absurdly expensive too.

Aluminium is still relatively expensive due to power required for its refining. IIRC, aluminium ore gets shipped to places where electricity is cheap, even quite long distances.

Ernest

Banned
Diamonds aren't really that rare/valuable here on Earth - it's just that all the diamond mines are owned by a couple people who got together, forming a monopoly, making diamonds seem valuable to better line their pockets.

Top Bottom