• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something mysterious is killing 11,000 nearby galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
New research published January 17, 2017 by a global team of researchers focused on 11,000 relatively nearby galaxies and asked why their gas — their lifeblood for the formation of new stars — is being violently stripped away on a widespread scale. The answer, according to these scientists, relates to the great halos of dark matter thought to surround galaxies and paints a picture of these galaxies falling through these larger halos, having their star-forming gas removed in a fast-acting process called ram-pressure stripping.

The study – published in the peer-reviewed journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society – was based at the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) in Australia. It shows that the phenomenon is more prevalent than previously thought and that it drives gas from galaxies, sending them to an early death by depriving them of the material to make new stars. Toby Brown, a PhD candidate at ICRAR and Swinburne University of Technology, led the study. He said:

"During their lifetimes, galaxies can inhabit [dark matter] halos of different sizes, ranging from masses typical of our own Milky Way to halos thousands of times more massive.

As galaxies fall through these larger halos, the superheated intergalactic plasma between them removes their gas in a fast-acting process called ram-pressure stripping.

You can think of it like a giant cosmic broom that comes through and physically sweeps the gas from the galaxies."

More at the links:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ram-pressue-stripping-killing-11000-nearby-galaxies-2017-1

http://www.icrar.org/galaxy-murder-mystery/

http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws..../12/11085410/Ram-Pressure-Stripping-Paper.pdf

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
"reapers"

giphy.gif

-------------

How close is nearby?

spekkeh

Banned
How can the galaxy fall through its halo. Wasn't the point of the dark matter halos that it can explain the fast rotation in a gravitational way, so shouldn't it, I dunno, balance out somehow?

I do wonder how close we are to random, cosmic disaster each and every day. BOOM, SPACE BROOM. Everyone dead. Universe goes on.

The article title is amazing - it makes you think there is this dark matter Halo that is COMING FOR US.

Meanwhile it is explained inside that the process, in its fast form, takes tens of millions of years.

superheated intergalactic plasma
This is something for which I have absolutely no frame of reference whatsoever. Some kind of matter / dark matter interaction? And when did dark matter become such a commonplace concept? I thought it was entirely theoretical ...

SaganIsGOAT

Übermatik;229123895 said:
I do wonder how close we are to random, cosmic disaster each and every day. BOOM, SPACE BROOM. Everyone dead. Universe goes on.

It's fun to think about because ultimately we wouldn't even know it happened if it happened fast enough. Not a bad way to go.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The article title is amazing - it makes you think there is this dark matter Halo that is COMING FOR US.

Meanwhile it is explained inside that the process, in its fast form, takes tens of millions of years.
Which is extremely fast for such a large scale process. Anyone thinking this could take much less time doesn't know physics.

Übermatik;229123895 said:
On a personal level the same applies to walking out in front of a bus one day (or etc etc etc). Individually and collectively, the vanity of our lives could bear closer appreciation.

Unicron.

Luckily, everyone here will be long gone before the dark matter comes, and hopefully science will have advanced so far by then that someone can think of a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom