• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone used an ATM to empty my bank account : /

nkarafo

It wasn't much, 420 euros.

But how the fuck did they do it?

This account only has a single ATM card attached. In the e-banking account, every transaction made by this card is documented. This particular transaction isn't documented, last transaction was a month ago (they stole the money a few days ago).

I mean, i know my card is not stolen/lost because i still have it. And since the transaction is not made by this card it's not like someone "borrowed" it to steal from me.

The transaction is visible from the general account page and it says an ATM was used.

I called the bank but it's late night and they told me to call tomorrow. But fuck, i can't sleep with that thought.

So how the hell did they get the money without my card from an ATM?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

This account only has a single ATM card attached. In the e-banking account, every transaction made by this card is documented. This particular transaction isn't documented, last transaction was a month ago (they stole the money a few days ago).

I mean, i know my card is not stolen/lost because i still have it. And since the transaction is not made by this card it's not like someone "borrowed" it to steal from me.

The transaction is visible from the general account page and it says an ATM was used.

I called the bank but it's late night and they told me to call tomorrow. But fuck, i can't sleep with that thought.

They scanned your card and made a dupe of it. At some point you probably left your card with the store, bar, server etc... they came back with your card 10 minutes later and did their work on it already.

I remember bars and clubs asking to hold onto someone's credit card long time ago when we made a tab. Never do that. Who knows what those sketchy servers and bartenders do with it.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

Cloned cards. Do you use it often in ATMs, garages etc?

Kamina

Golden Boy
- Calm down, luckily it‘s only 400 bucks
- Call the Bank tomorrow, maybe they will be able to refund it through some sort of insurance
- have them block the card if not already done and issue a new one
- ATMs usually have cams and the time of the takeout is known, maybe the thieves were stupid enough not to hide their faces and the police can issue a warrant

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There's nothing to worry about except hassles.

I've had my CC stolen and used twice. They'll refund your money, cancel your card, open a new one for you, and reimburse you the lost money. It'll take a week or two to get it up and running. A bank account is similar that they'll reissue you a new card and new account to go with it.

The hassles are if you have the card tied to any online payment systems, you'll have to delete the old account info and input the new info when you get it. And if you have any pre-authorized payments coming due, you got to call that place and tell them what happened so they know to wait for the new info. That'll prevent you being out of funds and getting grilled a penalty fee.

The first time it happened, I was like WTF. The second time it happened I didnt give a shit.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I always use ATMs that are in the bank or outside the bank which have extra cameras and stuff. Also I never give my card to anyone to scan it or w/e, never leaves my hands.

Reactions: Fbh

nkarafo

Your card got cloned. Use any dodgy ATMs lately?

Just the bank's own ATM outside the building. I only ever used that card 3 times, it's a new card that i use to fund for a loan.

They scanned your card and made a dupe of it. At some point you probably left your card with the store, bar, server etc... they came back with your card 10 minutes later and did their work on it already.

I remember bars and clubs asking to hold onto someone's credit card long time ago when we made a tab. Never do that. Who knows what those sketchy servers and bartenders do with it.

I never go to bars, clubs, etc. I only have that card for a couple of months now and i don't remember anyone ever holding it.

Cloned cards. Do you use it often in ATMs, garages etc?

Nope, just the bank's ATM.

There's nothing to worry about except hassles.

I've had my CC stolen and used twice. They'll refund your money, cancel your card, open a new one for you, and reimburse you the lost money. It'll take a week or two to get it up and running. A bank account is similar that they'll reissue you a new card and new account to go with it.

The hassles are if you have the card tied to any online payment systems, you'll have to delete the old account info and input the new info when you get it. And if you have any pre-authorized payments coming due, you got to call that place and tell them what happened so they know to wait for the new info. That'll prevent you being out of funds and getting grilled a penalty fee.

The first time it happened, I was like WTF. The second time it happened I didnt give a shit.

Thankfully i only ever used that card to fund the account for a loan.

I always use ATMs that are in the bank or outside the bank which have extra cameras and stuff. Also I never give my card to anyone to scan it or w/e, never leaves my hands.

Yup, i only used that ATM. 3 times all and all.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Thing is, if it's a cloned card, the transaction would be visible in the card's transaction history.

The theft is NOT visible in the card's transaction history. So the money were not stolen with this particular card, or it's information.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I had a person skim my card once then use it to get 2 $1000 money orders in Vegas. My bank had the money back in about a day. But it was wild.

nkarafo

It's my first time so i'm worried about the bank finding something to blame me for this, as if it's my own fault, and not return the money lol.

I'm paranoid right now. Cause, it may not seem like a lot of money but for my own economic standards it's going to hurt for a couple of months at least.

HoodWinked

only thing i can think of is that it had to be a skimmer since it requires a pin.

but i think it was a long con they may have skimmed the data months ago and are just now cashing in to make it impossible to track.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’ve been told there are devices that can “clone” a card just by walking past you if there isn’t enough stuff around it

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's my first time so i'm worried about the bank finding something to blame me for this, as if it's my own fault, and not return the money lol.

I'm paranoid right now. Cause, it may not seem like a lot of money but for my own economic standards it's going to hurt for a couple of months at least.

It's never your fault if someone steals from you. I am hoping you get your money refunded, this sucks and I am sorry to hear.

nkarafo

WELP

Bank managed to find the thief. ....It was my brother 🤷‍♂️

See, this loan is owed by me, my brother and my father. But all three of us were sure that there is no card attached to the loan account. I mean, nobody ever used one to draw money from it for more than 10 years we pay that loan. I did call my father to confirm and got the same answer, that there is no other card. I couldn't reach my brother but i assumed i would get the same answer (my mistake). I also assumed i could see all cards attached to the account through my e-banking but turns out that's not the case (my mistake again).

So one day, my brother found a mysterious card he didn't know where it's from. And for some reason, it wasn't expired. And the pin was on a small paper next to it because of course it was. He took the card, checked if there was any money in the account and what do you know! 420+ euros! Nice, free money out of nowhere! Don't mind if i do! Let's hope nobody notices this...

So yeah, false alarm, kinda (i still count it as theft tbh).

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It wasn't me. I swear.

Stealing Mike D GIF by Beastie Boys

Cyberpunkd

This, it doesn't happen very often now but a few years back you had a lot of times servers, clerks, etc. asking to take your card and put it at the terminal at the back. I always told them to either bring the terminal to me or I go with them.
My mother's card was cloned this way, they took the card at the back for a few minutes - she has a good bank, so they flagged it ASAP, blocked everything, sent police on their asses then called my mother to chill and joke about idiot thieves.

GymWolf

I'm not sure if i want to laugh for the brother discovery or sad because you only had 400 dollars in your bank account.

So i'm gonna go with this

MajesticGlitteringBoutu-size_restricted.gif

AJUMP23

Gold Member
WELP

See, this loan is owed by me, my brother and my father. But all three of us were sure that there is no card attached to the loan account. I mean, nobody ever used one to draw money from it for more than 10 years we pay that loan. I did call my father to confirm and got the same answer, that there is no other card. I couldn't reach my brother but i assumed i would get the same answer (my mistake). I also assumed i could see all cards attached to the account through my e-banking but turns out that's not the case (my mistake again).

So one day, my brother found a mysterious card he didn't know where it's from. And for some reason, it wasn't expired. And the pin was on a small paper next to it because of course it was. He took the card, checked if there was any money in the account and what do you know! 420+ euros! Nice, free money out of nowhere! Don't mind if i do! Let's hope nobody notices this...

Do we need to go take out your brothers knee caps?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WELP

LOL.

I remember a long time ago (like 30 years ago), my bro and I were near our fam's wall unit of books, decorations and family photos. For whatever reason inside one of the decorative cups (one of those touristy coffee mugs) was a $50 bill. I forget who noticed it first. We laughed and started grabbing it, but ended up splitting it. I dont think we ever told my parents. It's such a weird event because my parents would never randomly leave money out in the open. Even spare change on a table is not the kind of thing you'd ever see at my parents house.

Cyberpunkd

WELP

Just say the word and the Russian Mafia will get your brother:

russian dancing GIF

What in the Gods name is this? It's possible to do this shit now?
Want to hear something even crazier? A guy can walk next to your bag, purse, wallet, swipe with a scanner and clone your card. That's why all the RFID shield wallets are a thing now.

The only benefit being (I feel like I'm posting this all the damn time) this mostly works only in the Land of the Free and the Brave, since they still have PIN-less cards. In Europe everything is with a chip and a PIN, so even when you clone, you cannot use it (plus frequent transaction authorizations for online purchases).

What in the Gods name is this? It's possible to do this shit now?
It has been possible for years!

If you're going to an ATM have a good look at it to see if anything looks suspicious. You can find examples online of what to look out for. Some are really well done and high quality. Some have cameras so make sure to cover your fingers when putting in your code even if nobody is around you.

Don't give your card to anyone. You really shouldn't need to hand your card over to make a transaction. If you do then make sure it's visible at all times. They just need to go "round the back for a second" or even hide it under the counter for a second or two.

Invest in an RFID blocking wallet if you're concerned. This will block scanners. Of course you can't keep your card in your wallet all the time but there are people who will go about in the street "accidentally bumping" into you when really they are running a scanner along your pocket if they see a wallet bulge.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just say the word and the Russian Mafia will get your brother:

russian dancing GIF

Want to hear something even crazier? A guy can walk next to your bag, purse, wallet, swipe with a scanner and clone your card. That's why all the RFID shield wallets are a thing now.

The only benefit being (I feel like I'm posting this all the damn time) this mostly works only in the Land of the Free and the Brave, since they still have PIN-less cards. In Europe everything is with a chip and a PIN, so even when you clone, you cannot use it (plus frequent transaction authorizations for online purchases).
Canada is chip and pin too. The downside is every CC terminal has an optional scan part. So if anyone got your card, they could go on a shopping spree just tapping your card. Only purchases over a certain amount (I forget the amount) do you have to insert your card and enter the PIN.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Canada is chip and pin too. The downside is every CC terminal has an optional scan part. So if anyone got your card, they could go on a shopping spree just tapping your card. Only purchases over a certain amount (I forget the amount) do you have to insert your card and enter the PIN.
Here in UK randomly ask for pin now again, even if your making a small transactions.

Used say I would never get contactless card but conivines won for me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here in UK randomly ask for pin now again, even if your making a small transactions.

Used say I would never get contactless card but conivines won for me.
Canada might have that but I'm not sure. Every once in a while, tapping to pay doesnt work and I have to insert card and type in the PIN to work. And it's not like its big purchases. But I dont know if that's a protection feature or just the store's terminal not working right that day.

Cyberpunkd

Canada might have that but I'm not sure. Every once in a while, tapping to pay doesnt work and I have to insert card and type in the PIN to work. And it's not like its big purchases. But I dont know if that's a protection feature or just the store's terminal not working right that day.
I always assumed failure to pay contactless is due to the fault of the terminal, not any requirement from the bank?

I’m France the limit is 100€ but strangely enough if you use Apple Pay or other phone-based payment there is no limit lol.

chromhound

They bought your infos on (i wont say the name of the website) and cloned your card. Don't buy stuff on the internet. Security is shitty.
You'll get your money back.
Fraud is possible with chip and pin and also NFC

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

They bought your infos on (i wont say the name of the website) and cloned your card. Don't buy stuff on the internet. Security is shitty.
You'll get your money back.
Fraud is possible with chip and pin and also NFC
I am buying incredible amounts on the internet since 20 years ago, didn’t have a single issue.
Nowadays with mobile app authorisations all that scammers have left are phishing websites and SMS scams.

Top Bottom