• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Last day at work after I gave my two weeks on July 3rd.

Blade2.0

Is there a happier day than the day your sentence is up? Time to be a free man again for a little while. I work at a giant bank in the states called PNC. It's garbage.

We've been short-staffed since last year. I got hired with 7 people at the branch and it was running well, then. But since march of 2022, we lost 2 people that were never replaced. It was hard to make the metrics they wanted for us to make for that reason. I'm something they call a Universal Banker which means I'm responsible for the teller side and bank side (loans, credit cards, etc). But since we lost two people there's not enough coverage on the teller side so most of my days are spent doing teller work and not getting to do anything else. So after march and not getting new people, our manager left last September. Then I became interim manager(no pay bump) for three months until we got a new manager at the end of December. She hired one new person and we're finally back to 6 people.

However, then corporate tells me to go help another short-staffed branch 30 minutes away every single day, so i have to come to my permanent branch in the morning, then drive 30 minutes away everyday after my lunch to give lunches to the other branch, and then I must get back to my branch before closing to count down my box over here. so we're basically back to 5 people. Beginning of this April, our new manager quit the bank to work somewhere else and I'm still having to go to the other branch so my branch is theoretically down to 4. We get another interim manager that is possible the worst manager I've ever had and is the worst person I have yet to work for at the bank. She started in mid april, fired someone in may, we're now down to 4 people including this garbage manager. Two others quit because of her, leaving 3 of us left. Me, the other guy that started in Mid January of this year, and the garbage manager. She then quits on us on the busiest day of the 'effin month in June while we're thirty people in the line deep. And it was that day that I vowed to leave this fucking shit hole as soon as I was able. So we've had basically two people actually on the teller line and doing transactions since mid-may.

All while this was happening, I was doing night classes for cybersecurity from last December until mid-June. I have now been out of the course for a month and have not even looked at my certification test questions because I've been so rundown at the branch every day. We're the biggest foot traffic branch in the district and keeping it afloat with two people and now we're finally getting a manager from another branch and his employees to work here (which then leaves them short-staffed).

On top of this, our district is in a hiring freeze for I have no fucking clue why and i haven't gotten a raise since starting last year because these fucks only care about the metrics that I can't actually get because we're so fucking short-staffed.

But today is the last day I need to worry about this horseshit. I am over this dumpster fire.

hell yeah!

farewell-email-template-11.jpg

+

traffic-mr-bean.gif

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I put my one month notice (it's required by law here) last week and I couldn't be happier, just a little longer.

There are few things more liberating than getting that job offer you wanter and handing you resignation like:

Awkward Jim Carrey GIF
Do companies in your country need to give you 1 month notice to fire you?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Might help the future employees. Doubtful but also fuck em.
I’d still keep it between you and your direct supervisor rather than memorializing it in your resignation letter. But if “fuck em” is the mindset then go HAM.

I do take some comfort in knowing a previous company I worked for would rehire me in a heartbeat if I ever wanted to come back, because I learned early on in my career it’s best to exit gracefully.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Best of luck. Hope whatever venture you go on turns out positive.

The most frustrated I've ever been with a job resulted with me quitting with no notice. Typed up my letter of resignation and handed it in. I didn't trash the place or give out grievances. I just said thank you for the opportunity. Bridges were probably burned, but it was something I accepted.

Last edited:

Doczu

Good for you OP! Nothing better than to stick it to the man. Just to feel the rush of leaving a shithole.
Hope you won't have to face such uphill battles in your next job!

There are few things more liberating than getting that job offer you wanter and handing you resignation like:

Awkward Jim Carrey GIF
Yeah i always joked if i won the lotto i would shit on my managers desk, stick a pencil in it with my resignation paper used as a mast and sail.
So when the day of "resignation" (got fucked over) came the only thing my manager told me was "at least you didn't shit on my desk"... Man, the things people would do ifcthey were financially secure...

Rival

Gold Member
I left my old job a few years back and kept it as courteous as possible even though I was ready to end it all due to the horrendous situation I was in. They tried to get me back about a year ago but I leveraged that into a nice pay raise and promotion at my current job. Never been happier. Quitting a shitty job is such a great feeling.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They don't care about your grievances, but in listing them, you may have partially or fully burned that bridge.

I disagree. The letter didn't come off as disgruntled in any way. It listed in a professional manner why they were not given the tools to succeed on thr HR side. Perhaps the bank is unable to make changes but I see that letter as positive and well written.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
hKSgPjl.png

Here's my notice I turned in.
A nice exit letter (or email) is all that needs to be done. Big grievances you can air out in an exit interview with HR and your boss.

Having this in writing is that last thing you to do unless you know for sure you never want to work at a bank again. All it takes is you applying for a job where the person wants to reach out to someone at PNC and if they want to they’ll say you wrote a bad letter on your way out the door. Chances of landing a job in true situation is zero.

I’ve actually never heard of anyone I’ve seen quit a company in frustration actually formally so I’m writing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
inb4 StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige tells you that you should've just worked hard and asked your employer for a raise and if you're worth it you would've got it.
You can always ask. At worst they say no.

When you ask nicely it lead to good times. For example some people at the office have been asking for double monitors. I don’t care. I’m happy using one monitor and my laptop screen acting as my second.

IT got approval from bosses to give another monitor. But instead of only the people who asked, the entire floor got another monitor. So I ended up with another one even though I didn’t even ask for it.

Blade2.0

A nice exit letter (or email) is all that needs to be done. Big grievances you can air out in an exit interview with HR and your boss.

Having this in writing is that last thing you to do unless you know for sure you never want to work at a bank again. All it takes is you applying for a job where the person wants to reach out to someone at PNC and if they want to they’ll say you wrote a bad letter on your way out the door. Chances of landing a job in true situation is zero.

I’ve actually never heard of anyone I’ve seen quit a company in frustration actually formally so I’m writing.
my friend got me the job at PNC, i can just use him as a reference any time i want to.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They don't care about your grievances, but in listing them, you may have partially or fully burned that bridge.
Depends on the company and the bosses. My company listens to people all the time. Those cheesy employee surveys they make you fill out can actually lead to good things. You just got to give management time to look at it and offer something back 6 months later.

During the COVID years when everyone was asked to stay home bosses said take what you need home and expense the rest of what you need. I didn’t expense anything because I don’t need anything else. Many people were in the same boat but some people expensed gear which was fine. Some peoples jobs are not accustomed to expensing things so they were really unsure or nervous what they can or can’t expense even though bosses were green lighting anything from new printers to a new chair etc…. They didn’t really care. They decided to get around people being so unsure about it and feeling guilty about expensing things on company dime they also decided to give for two years in a row a supplemental free $500 pay out just for the heck of it whether you expenses anything or not. Or just treat yourself to something not even business related. It’s weird because you can expense it anyway. I just took it and banked the $1000. Not every company and management are pricks.

Last edited:

Aesius

I disagree. The letter didn't come off as disgruntled in any way. It listed in a professional manner why they were not given the tools to succeed on thr HR side. Perhaps the bank is unable to make changes but I see that letter as positive and well written.
Nah. This letter will have no impact aside from making OP briefly feel good. HR doesn't care about individual workers, lest of all when they're quitting. They exist solely to the protect the company. It's why you shouldn't badmouth the company during your exit interview.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't blame you one bit. The work force has changed and finding able bodied people of any skill is harder than ever even though there's so many jobs out there. People want to work at home or work less for more. There has to be a balance but reading your story reminds me of personal observations I've had myself. My wife is in bank management and I know all about that structure.

The cutbacks and not replacing the work has been severe for the last few years. Where you once had 7 people, companies want the same done with 4-5. And they aren't offering much more even due to inflation which puts truly hard go getters in a lose lose situation seeing some other workers get by doing mediocre levels of work when you basically care and want the best wage since we all believe hard work should pay off.

Not today in this world. Laziness is tolerated and hard work needs a training video and youtube series to be explained.

I'm happy and proud of you and will make sure to say hip hop hooray at some point when I have time.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Nah. This letter will have no impact aside from making OP briefly feel good. HR doesn't care about individual workers, lest of all when they're quitting. They exist solely to the protect the company. It's why you shouldn't badmouth the company during your exit interview.

I agree you shouldn't bad mouth your company on the way out. But this was all factual and not badmouthing just explaining the facts. If also sent higher up there is a chance (small one) that a difference maker might see it.

My sister was a teller at Wells Fargo during the account creation fraud a couple years ago. She quit due to sales pressure and they called her later begging her to come back.

I was also a teller for a while but it sounds like I was in a much better situation than the OP.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
my friend got me the job at PNC, i can just use him as a reference any time i want to.
Are you going to another job?

If not. Whatever you do I swear for sake of you getting employment again, no matter how much a shithole PNC was, DO NOT badmouth the people there. If you want to say the company lacks structure and you were not given the right tools to do the job with inane timelines that’s one way to gently say your employer sucked. But do not say your past coworkers or bosses were crap. You’ll never get a job saying that to the hiring manager because it’ll show you already have your eyes targeted blaming other people.

Looking at your story, one big point which can help your explaining why you wanted to leave is simply you want to focus your time and skills at your job and not act like an Uber Eats driver dividing your energy at different branches. Hey, I wouldnt like a job like that too. It'll likely be an agreeable point with the hiring manager because the chances are 99.9% he or she wouldnt like that either. So that's one decent reason to cover yourself. It'll skew the hiring person that your employer's processes were a trainwreck, not you. But you dont have to all the way saying the bosses were asses for having shorthanded staff.

You don’t have to outright say the people were bad coworkers for the new company to get your drift.

Good luck at your next job though. Hopefully the next one is better than PNC.

Last edited:
Is there a happier day than the day your sentence is up? Time to be a free man again for a little while. I work at a giant bank in the states called PNC. It's garbage.

We've been short-staffed since last year. I got hired with 7 people at the branch and it was running well, then. But since march of 2022, we lost 2 people that were never replaced. It was hard to make the metrics they wanted for us to make for that reason. I'm something they call a Universal Banker which means I'm responsible for the teller side and bank side (loans, credit cards, etc). But since we lost two people there's not enough coverage on the teller side so most of my days are spent doing teller work and not getting to do anything else. So after march and not getting new people, our manager left last September. Then I became interim manager(no pay bump) for three months until we got a new manager at the end of December. She hired one new person and we're finally back to 6 people.

However, then corporate tells me to go help another short-staffed branch 30 minutes away every single day, so i have to come to my permanent branch in the morning, then drive 30 minutes away everyday after my lunch to give lunches to the other branch, and then I must get back to my branch before closing to count down my box over here. so we're basically back to 5 people. Beginning of this April, our new manager quit the bank to work somewhere else and I'm still having to go to the other branch so my branch is theoretically down to 4. We get another interim manager that is possible the worst manager I've ever had and is the worst person I have yet to work for at the bank. She started in mid april, fired someone in may, we're now down to 4 people including this garbage manager. Two others quit because of her, leaving 3 of us left. Me, the other guy that started in Mid January of this year, and the garbage manager. She then quits on us on the busiest day of the 'effin month in June while we're thirty people in the line deep. And it was that day that I vowed to leave this fucking shit hole as soon as I was able. So we've had basically two people actually on the teller line and doing transactions since mid-may.

All while this was happening, I was doing night classes for cybersecurity from last December until mid-June. I have now been out of the course for a month and have not even looked at my certification test questions because I've been so rundown at the branch every day. We're the biggest foot traffic branch in the district and keeping it afloat with two people and now we're finally getting a manager from another branch and his employees to work here (which then leaves them short-staffed).

On top of this, our district is in a hiring freeze for I have no fucking clue why and i haven't gotten a raise since starting last year because these fucks only care about the metrics that I can't actually get because we're so fucking short-staffed.

But today is the last day I need to worry about this horseshit. I am over this dumpster fire.
quit-chappelle.gif
james-mcavoy-chris-pratt.gif
1*XFo4dCb217Gv6UFaW1nnSg.gif

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
No, but I'm wanting to change industries anyway and I have enough saved for a year if need be. So I'm just going to study for my securities + certification exam and put in for cybersecurity jobs.
Good luck! Cybersecurity is very difficult to break into, despite all of the cries of shortage of talent in the industry. If sec+ doesn’t do it for you, I might go for CCNA next, which will at least help you land you a mid-tier Networking job, which is bound to have some Cybersecurity aspects.

Drake

I love hearing stories like this. What was their reaction when you put in your 2 week. Probably surprised pikachu face.

Ron Mexico

Spent nearly a decade at PNC on either side of the 2008 mess as a branch manager. Ran a driver branch (if they still use that terminology), made it to the Circle (if that's still a thing either) and it all amounts to exactly what have you done for me lately.

That said, as much as I have no love lost for the company and have long since left the branch network, they did do things like compliance training well. If you've been through an audit at PNC, their attention to detail was actually useful. It was the sales/retail side that was absolute shit.

Said back during the WF scandals that they were far from the only FI to use those tactics-- they were only the ones to get caught. Even a decade later, I could still write a book on just things I saw in my district.

KrakenIPA

Probably EUgaffer. In Poland we have 2 weekd and then 1/3 months notice depending on how long you work. It can be a blessing and a curse at the same time...
Here in America we are short handed, strained and stressed, and if you give 2 months notice you will be ostracized and ridiculed by your closest allies, including your boss (the guy you did everything for).

Last edited:

pachura

Although from your point of view, your notice is perfectly logical & polite (and you actually want to help the company notice their issues, which is nice of you), it will change nothing, unfortunately. And they will always be able to take some of your words out of the context, i.e. that you couldn't handle the work you were assigned or that you expected payrise after having worked for them for only 1 year. What if your next employer calls the HR unit for references, not your friend?

I would have simply written "I am hereby resigning from work at the company. My last day in the office will be DD/MM/YYYY. Sincerely yours, John Doe".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Although from your point of view, your notice is perfectly logical & polite (and you actually want to help the company notice their issues, which is nice of you), it will change nothing, unfortunately. And they will always be able to take some of your words out of the context, i.e. that you couldn't handle the work you were assigned or that you expected payrise after having worked for them for only 1 year. What if your next employer calls the HR unit for references, not your friend?

I would have simply written "I am hereby resigning from work at the company. My last day in the office will be DD/MM/YYYY. Sincerely yours, John Doe".
In reality, people talk.

But it's a lot more risky and consequential if it's small knit industry and a lot of people are veterans and know each other. I dont think the OP's situation of working at bank branches for short term and going to do cybersecurity isnt the kind of transition that would lead to people knowing each other and trying to figure out the OP.

In my industry where most of us just rotate companies we all contact each other about people. People call me asking if I know a person since we work at the same company and I do it back. I've done my share of giving kudos and telling them I know someone if they have a role to fill, and I've also said dont hire the person, their linkedin resume is a total lie and full of shit. The person would never know I told my buddy doing the hiring you suck. But thats how it works. He's my buddy so I dont want him getting burned with a lazy fuck who didn't even do what they claimed, since I know exactly what they did at my company.

You also want to be honest on the resume. Because even if you say what you did is correct, timing is also important. My buddy will say "Hey, it says he worked at your company until September". I'll say back "Really, thats BS, he got fired in April. What did he say?".... "He said he's been working there the whole time".... "He's full of shit. He got canned early in the year". So watch out for that. Most people have been fired or laid off, so just be honest. I've been laid off too. Getting a new job isnt a big deal as the person interviewing you has probably been let go at some point too. So who really cares. You're getting a call back because your qualifications seem pretty good. No need to lie on employment duration.

A lot of job opps come simply from people knowing each other and referring. At my company, I've gotten lots of old coworkers interviews here just by talking to the hiring manager and got some people hired (hey woo hoo! referral bonus!). The best ammo someone has for employment isnt a resume. It's knowing someone who will vouch for you. And the best way for positive feedback is to play it cool.

So burning bridges isn't a wise decision unless you know cutting the cord will make no difference.

Last edited:
I don't fully understand your situation as I am not in it but it sounds like you really needed this break. So, good on ya for taking initiative. I'm hoping to do the same in a year's time just to be free from the shackles.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I just had to have a convo with an employee about the way he talks to people. He took two days off of work and has called me names on a chat and accused me of a bunch of stuff to my boss. Lots of people need to change jobs.

Top Bottom