• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone has all my bank info I think...what to do??

Edit: Mystery solved. It was just an authorized bill of sorts. It was for my childs school. The amount was different this month because theyre not going full time due to Covid.

So I saw an $80 withdrawal from my bank account that wasn't me. So I called my bank and the only info I've been able to get about this withdrawal is the description from the transaction which is simply "Illinois" and a phone number. I'm in IL so the only thing odd there is that it tells me next to nothing about the transaction. The phone number is a real number and when I called a nice lady answered sounding as baffled about the whole thing as I am. She says she doesn't sell anything and isn't a merchant of any kind so she has no idea why her number would be tied to the withdrawal from my bank.

So does anyone have any idea wtf is going on here and what I should do? Obviously I call the bank and dispute, but this entity made a withdrawal and they'd have to have all of my banking info to do so right, so...what to do?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Unlikely you'll get your money back (not sure of the rules in the US)

What you need to do is call your bank so they can cancel the card. Your bank should have a fraud team that you can speak to.

I would get off GAF and call your bank right away.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
cancel your debit card get a new one. Dispute the transaction you did not make. Change your passwords.

Dispute will need to be in writing most likely.

Unlikely you'll get your money back (not sure of the rules in the US)

What you need to do is call your bank so they can cancel the card. Your bank should have a fraud team that you can speak to.

I would get off GAF and call your bank right away.
Right. Already on the phone with them. It wasn't a card that was used that's part of the problem. It was a withdrawal directly from the bank account. Like if I had some auto withdrawal for a bill...except I dont have anything like that and definitely nothing that is precisely $80. So someone has to have all my banking info like account number/ routing number etc as far as I know.

Last edited:
Mystery solved. It was just an authorized bill of sorts. It was for my childs school. The amount was different this month because theyre not going full time due to Covid. Sigh. At least nobody has all my bank info lol I was considering closing the whole account as I did just recently have a debit card number stolen...

Last edited:
Mystery solved. It was just an authorized bill of sorts. It was for my childs school. The amount was different this month because theyre not going full time due to Covid. Sigh. At least nobody has all my bank info lol I was considering closing the whole account as I did just recently have a debit card number stolen...
glad everything is fine :) now would be the best time to review all your security info and refresh it. set a new password/memorable info/pin numbers etc. while you'll be probably be safe it's good to regularly change that stuff. you don't need to but it's a good practice.

Dural

everything is fine :) now would be the best time to review all your security info and refresh it. set a new password/memorable info/pin numbers etc. while you'll be probably be safe it's good to regularly change that stuff. you don't need to but it's a good

Good to hear. My sister had her identity stolen a week before Christmas; her bank account was taken over (changed addresses, phone numbers, pins), credit cards were maxed, pickup orders at Kohl's for hundreds of dollars worth of shit, orders were placed using Klarna online, and a $30,000 personal loan was applied for. They somehow got all of her personal info including SS# so she had to close all her accounts and had to apply for a new social security card. Fucking thieves piss me off!

Top Bottom