• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone explain to me how RDR2 got nominated for Steam's "Labor of Love" award

SJRB

Gold Member
0k7hmpniyq7c1.png

tumblr_pnu3e4OD8S1wo8hjeo1_540.gif

Seriously, what the fuck is this? This game is DEAD. There's been zero support, singleplayer or multiplayer. Read that category description, look me in the eye and tell my how RDR2 qualifies for that in any way.

This is by far the weirdest nomination of this year's Steam Awards.

HL3.exe

Shows you how protest votes work, and not adhering to the actual spirit of what the category stand for. It's a pathetic cry out to Rockstar misusing a public awards a system.

People are stupid.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I open up the steam awards nominating page
I vote for the very first thing i see in the suggestions without reading the categories because all i want is steam points/badge
The entire nominating process is finished in 10 seconds total
Once that is done i will launch a game for 1 second then alt + f4 (many people have red dead 2 and you have to launch a game that you nominated to get the points)
After that i copy paste a review to one game that was nominated
Done

I dont actually do that, this is just my insight into what i believe an average user does based on spending a few minutes looking at steam commnity forums/reviews (half of the posts and guides on steam are just bait for clown reaction points)

Last edited:
The nominees are nominated by us, the players. That's how the Steam Awards work.

Basically, people voted for RDR2 a lot in this category during the last sale where Valve asked everyone to nominate their favorite games in their specific categories, and RDR2 was one of the top 5 games with most nominations in the 'Labor of Love' category.

Can't blame Valve. They're just compiling everyone's votes and giving us a chance to vote again for a winner, among the nominees we picked. 🤷

DaciaJC

Gold Member
several of the nominees make no sense, I mean Starfield for Most Innovative Gameplay? EA FC for GOTY? to a lesser extent also Darkest Dungeon II for Outstanding Visual Style

The first two are pretty ludicrous, I agree, but what's the issue with DDII's nomination? I don't even own it, I hate the direction they took the campaign progression from the first game by turning it into a rogue-like, but I can't deny that it's gorgeously animated.

graywolf323

The first two are pretty ludicrous, I agree, but what's the issue with DDII's nomination? I don't even own it, I hate the direction they took the campaign progression from the first game by turning it into a rogue-like, but I can't deny that it's gorgeously animated.
yeah that’s why I said to a lesser extent, I think to me it’s just that I’m so used to it from playing a lot of the original on the Switch? so DDII felt like more of the same visually instead of being outstanding to me

it’s not like the other two where I can easily name like half a dozen different games that deserve to be there over it though (but I do think Hogwarts Legacy should have gotten a nod for visuals)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Does anyone take their nominations seriously?
I mean, I might for a couple - but the majority of them I’m just picking something.

wvnative

Red Dead Online i assume.
red dead online is abandoned, has been for two years.

Rockstar's handling of it was disgusting, over 12 months without any updates, and then when they finally admitted it was dead, they downplayed it and didn't provide any explanation as to why it's not getting new content anymore. Despite the overwhelming demand for more.

I love RDO, grindy at the start, but once you get a couple jobs going its super fun living out the cowboy fantasy, and it had imo a fun loop. and it's like an improved version of GTA online.

Of course the only live service game I liked got tossed out like an unwanted child.

RIP RDO

My favorite online game

Guilty_AI

red dead online is abandoned, has been for two years.

Rockstar's handling of it was disgusting, over 12 months without any updates, and then when they finally admitted it was dead, they downplayed it and didn't provide any explanation as to why it's not getting new content anymore. Despite the overwhelming demand for more.

I love RDO, grindy at the start, but once you get a couple jobs going its super fun living out the cowboy fantasy, and it had imo a fun loop. and it's like an improved version of GTA online.

Of course the only live service game I liked got tossed out like an unwanted child.

RIP RDO

My favorite online game
It’s been on maintenance mode for the last two years. I used to play it actively, I quit because they stopped doing updates. Team members were moved to work on GTA6.
didn't it receive a bunch of major updates recently? At least thats what i heard

K2D

Banned
It's our fault it didn't sell 50 more million copies to justify supporting the multi-player, don't blame Rockstar.

I venture a guess that lack of player engagement was more important than lack of gta v number sales for them ommiting online.

geary

The paradox of steam gaming...Doubling down on lowering the Starfield review on steam, while also nominating it for most innovative game.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Steam users have zero taste, it's about the worst list of nominees of all time; makes the garbage from the TGA actually look world class.

Bafta save us.

Top Bottom