• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what's the difference between Pokemon Sword and Shield?

I bought Pokemon Sword, but should I also pick up Shield? Is it basically the exact same game, but just different Pokemon? I'm really confused on what the difference is and why you need both.

Last edited:

Lrnex

Sword has the better box legendary and all the exclusive pokes from shield can be traded over, so you made the objectively superior choice (I picked Shield)

Ivellios

I bought Pokemon Sword, but should I also pick up Shield? Is it basically the exact same game, but just different Pokemon? I'm really confused on what the difference is and why you need both.

The only difference are the exclusive Pokemon from each version. You dont need both, just trade in order to get exclusives from the shield version.

Jeeves

As has been stated. You don't need both. You're not even supposed to want both. It's always been this way.

It's just so that you have a marginally different experience from roughly half the player base to stimulate conversation and trading, since the social aspect is supposed to be a focal point.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I heard you only fight your "rival" twice. Is this true?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just got the game and I’m pretty sure we’ve already fought 3 times. I’m like 4 or 5 hours in and I’ve spent most of that time exploring an open world section.
The girl with the weird haircut?

ethomaz

Banned
Like every Pokémon game you have two versions of the legendary Pokémon and that is the difference between the versions.

images

MagnesG

Banned
You're supposed to trade the exclusives over with the opposite ones to complete the dex - it's real easy to do it now with random encounters gone and less than half pokemon for dex (450~) left.

You could always trade the poke back if you want to keep them.

Last edited:
You're supposed to trade the exclusives over with the opposite ones to complete the dex - it's real easy to do it now with random encounters gone and less than half pokemon for dex (450~) left.

You could always trade the poke back if you want to keep them.

I was under the impression they are now paywalling trading with the GTS being within Pokemon Home?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.webp

To be clear they are trash Pokemon games in comparison to past titles. You're better getting a 3DS and some of the older ones that have become franchise classics!
But can I dress up as a cute girl with more clothes because I care about that way more than the 800 hours I have put into my team and dex!

MagnesG

Banned
I was under the impression they are now paywalling trading with the GTS being within Pokemon Home?
Nope, GTS is a name for past Pokemon games, where Pokemon Home would be later, any normal trades can be done now without hassle for current titles. Think of it as a new generation of Pokemon, you might be only get paywalled for tiny NSO subscription though any ad-hoc trade can still be done as usual.

Fbh

Sword has the cool Farfetch'd and the legendary that looks a bit less like a rejected Digimon.

So you got the better one

Mitsurux

There is also a different gym leader for I think the 3rd or 4th gym depending on what version your playing.

Saber

Gold Member
Now I’m confused lol I thought Hop was your rival, but then I just read your comment and like 5 min later stumbled across this weirdo...
HmWgBdJ.jpg

Is this who you are talking about?

Both are rivals. Its just that hop is your demented friend who talks shit and walks you with hands together. People weren't kidding when they said he is a clone of Hau.

But I don't think he was talking about this one in the picture. He is talking about the punk looking girl which has a bunch of idiots from team Yell to cheer for her.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
Both are rivals. Its just that hop is your demented friend who talks shit and walks you with hands together. Peopke weren't kidding when they said he is a clone of Hau.

But I don't think he was talking about this one in the picture. He is talking about the punk looking girl which a bunch of idiots from team Yell cheering for her.

This game is so weird 😂
I’ve been out of Pokémon during the entire 3DS generation and I come back to this.
I LOVE the open world setup where you can encounter way higher level Pokémon on occasion and there are level gated areas. That’s dope!

Last edited:

Fake

Same shit only Pokemon games are allowed to do: locking creatures in two identical version.

rubhen925

It's the exact same game with a couple differences.

1) the title legendaries are different

2) some regional exclusive pokemon

3) 2 gym leaders are different. In sword your 3rd gym is a fighting gym and the 6th gym is a rock gym. In shield the 3rd gym is a ghost gym and the 6th gym is the ice gym. Both gyms have the same puzzles in both games. I personally feel the shield gyms are harder. But that's me lol.

4) with 2 different gym leaders in both games, the finals will have a different mix up when you go for it. It is entirely comprised of gym leaders.

Top Bottom