• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what it is about Bloober Team that everyone around here seems to hate so much?

Except we're not talking about giant triple-A games like God of War but small indie horror games. The audience for those tends to be a bit more niche and specific. In most other places I've seen, their games seem to be liked well enough, with only Layers of Fear 2 and Blair Witch being more of a mixed bag, so these scores are more or less accurate, and not some imaginary scenario in which 7-8/10 is somehow mediocre.
Except that we are actually dealing with triple-A game that we want remade here to it's fullest potential.

Are you seriously saying that Silent Hill is a small niche indie horror game? Silent Hill is not Layers of Fear or Blair Witch...lol.

Silent Hill is a big horror IP that deserves a far better and superior developer with a higher budget than some "indie niche horror" studio with a not so good track record. The fact they gave it to Blooper is a massive red flag.

I don't care how you spin this. But it's a fact that the fans have every right to be concerned about their beloved high profile IP being handed over to mediocore developer. Konami is stupid for doing so.

What they should of done was given it to a Sony studio or someone else internally at Konami themselves. But go figure, modern Konami is weird.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I want to play Observer, which is in my backlog, and then perhaps I'll like something from them.

Layers of Fear is junk for my taste. It overuses one "game" mechanic, there's little to no "fear" or horror in it, a story that can be summed up in a paragraph and maybe a couple of good set pieces to a game that way overstates its welcome. Honestly, I'd put it quite lower than Remothered, and that indie was also not that good.

The Medium had a somewhat impressive gameplay trailer, mainly due to the gimmick of parallel worlds rendered in real-time side by side. I thought it would make for interesting gameplay. But nope, I got bored out of my mind and could not finish it. The story, the storytelling really, did not help either.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Most of their games have shit or next to no gameplay and this is a gaming forum. I don't think going from layers of fear to silent hill 2 is a natural progression at all. Hopefully they can overcome their lack of know how or good design by aping the original and/or Capcom's remakes very closely 🤞

If this were true, more people would despise Druckmann-led games and GoW Ragnarok.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't care how you spin this. But it's a fact that the fans have every right to be concerned
Which is what I said in my OP and I agree.

Except that we are actually dealing with triple-A game that we want remade here to it's fullest potential.

Are you seriously saying that Silent Hill is a small niche indie horror game? Silent Hill is not Layers of Fear or Blair Witch...lol.
I didn't say anything like that. Stop putting words into my mouth.

We were talking about their past titles and how accurately the review scores reflect on the actual quality, in case you don't remember. Obviously SH2 is going to be their biggest project yet, but what I was saying is that the metacritic and steam review scores for their past games are likely more normalized compared to scores for a newly released, high profile triple-a game.

That was in reference to you talking about how scores that are within the range of 70-80 actually mean that the game is mediocre, although tbh I just think that's some ass-backwards logic that you applied here in order to bend the narrative to fit into your argument. What you're describing generally only applies to those big juggernauts that have these ginormous expectations and hype around them. Not some small indie titles that no one knows about.

And again, this doesn't refer in any way to the remake that their working on right now so please don't reach for that straw again.

Last edited:
Which is what I said in my OP and I agree.

I didn't say anything like that. Stop putting words into my mouth.

We were talking about their past titles and how accurately the review scores reflect on the actual quality, in case you don't remember. Obviously SH2 is going to be their biggest project yet, but what I was saying is that the metacritic and steam review scores for their past games are likely more normalized compared to scores for a newly released, high profile triple-a game.

That was in reference to you talking about how scores that are within the range of 70-80 actually mean that the game is mediocre, although tbh I just think that's some ass-backwards logic that you applied here in order to bend the narrative to fit into your argument. What you're describing generally only applies to those big juggernauts that have these ginormous expectations and hype around them. Not some small indie titles that no one knows about.

And again, this doesn't refer in any way to the remake that their working on right now so please don't reach for that straw again.
So not only you don't have a good way to counter the argument you are also accusing me of straw man.

We are done here my guy. You know exactly what I meant. Don't make controversial threads and then act surprised if people challenge you to your discussion. It seems you do not like it when someone disagrees with you.

If you are having trouble understanding that Silent Hill is a big title with a lot of hype around it because people wanted a remake for over a decade now and it's being given to a mediocre piss poor horror jank studio that's not my fault. Their past does matter, because now they are in charge of one of the biggest horror IPs.

It also seems you are okay with their past titles receiving the scores that they did? So just because they're a "niche" horror game studio it's ok for them to keep getting 7s as averages? And somehow that will be okay for Silent Hill remake as well and be considered a somewhat of a success? Ok.

Last edited:

Shakka43

I liked The Medium. It had some performance issues and the lack of combat is always a minus for me, but I still found the game enjoyable enough and am looking forward to their SH2 Remake with no worries.

Deerock71

They're the McDonald's of video games. You know what you're getting, you know what it's gonna taste like, but it's sure fast, isn't it?

Bloober and The Medium got hate because it was a not so impressive Xbox timed exclusive. Console war stuff, now that they are working on PlayStations silent hill remake, you’ll see some weird shifting opinions.
Blah blah blah. Those games got hate because they weren't very good - not because one of them was a timed exclusive for a short period of time.

Again with the strawman. Who was saying Bloober team is bad when they had the times exclusive with Xbox and is now saying they are great with a PS5 exclusive.

I was super excited to hear about Silent Hill 2. Then, I got very disappointed when I saw the rumors were true and it was Bloober Team.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So not only you don't have a good way to counter the argument you are also accusing me of straw man.

We are done here my guy. You know exactly what I meant. Don't make controversial threads and then act surprised if people challenge you to your discussion. It seems you do not like it when someone disagrees with you.

If you are having trouble understanding that Silent Hill is a big title with a lot of hype around it because people wanted a remake for over a decade now and it's being given to a mediocre piss poor horror jank studio that's not my fault. Their past does matter, because now they are in charge of one of the biggest horror IPs.

It also seems you are okay with their past titles receiving the scores that they did? So just because they're a "niche" horror game studio it's ok for them to keep getting 7s as averages? And somehow that will be okay for Silent Hill remake as well and be considered a somewhat of a success? Ok.

The sheer irony of this statement.

bender

What time is it?
The one positive thing about Blooper Team is that they've improved their presentation as their budgets have grown but it still feels like they are an off-brand version of The Chinese Room who's walking simulator's aren't all that interesting to begin with. I really hate the trend that Dear Esther started.

Fredrik

I never played their game but I hate how Konami just hands their most iconic IP to unknown developers.
Konami did nothing and Silent Hill was dead, people actually asked specifically to let Bloober make a Silent Hill after The Medium, go look at the launch and check the boards. Konami probably listened. And it was so clear where they got their inspiration and they showed that they certainly knew how to scare the crap out of the gamer. It’s not a perfect game but the first time I met the maw I think every single hair on my body were standing. It was so disturbing and not having any weapons just made it worse, just a haunting experience. I wish I could wipe my memory and experience it again but it’s a one playthrough type of game, good thing it was on Gamepass at least. It was slow and clunky but so was the last Silent Hill I played. Besides the absolute horrible water puzzle I still quite enjoyed the game.

Rickyiez

Because people hate or lost their faith with the recent Konami , so now they redirect it to whatever company that Konami outsources to .

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
It seems you do not like it when someone disagrees with you.
No, I just disagree with what you're saying.

You're also jumping to conclusions a lot, which is annoying.

Like, for instance, nowhere did I say that I don't think Silent Hill isn't a big or important IP. That's just a conclusion that you somehow arrived at, all by yourself.

I also never said that I'm confident that a studio that makes 7/10 games will knock this one out of the park. I was very clear in my apprehension about this decision in my OP as well, and nothing that I said during our direct exchange would indicate otherwise. My argument was solely against your claim that:
Nothing they've ever released in recent memory has been recieved well or gotten good ratings.
Which isn't true, as evidenced by the reception that their games have gotten so far, both by audience and critics alike. Meaning that they were received well and have gotten good ratings. Maybe not high enough to make me feel super reassured but that's another discussion.

Except we're not talking about giant triple-A games like God of War but small indie horror games. The audience for those tends to be a bit more niche and specific. In most other places I've seen, their games seem to be liked well enough, with only Layers of Fear 2 and Blair Witch being more of a mixed bag, so these scores are more or less accurate, and not some imaginary scenario in which 7-8/10 is somehow mediocre.
7-8/10 being mediocre is not imaginary, because reviewers don’t dare to give realistic scores anymore most of the worst games still score 7/10. Games from 8/10 are just ok nowadays and over 9/10 is actually good to great.

Nothing imaginary about it, is it right though? No the scaling should be 5 or 6 out of 10 is barely acceptable, 7 pretty ok, 8 really good, 9 great, 10, you won’t see this magnificent game often.

But because of money and spineless reviewers the scaling is corrupted to make the real supposed scaling useless.

Also, Silent Hill needs to be AAA, and I don’t see Bloober living up to it, all their games are mediocre so far at best. I like to be surprised though but it’s almost as if Konami gave Bloober a pass to fail, like a certain Bud Light VP.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
7-8/10 being mediocre is not imaginary, because reviewers don’t dare to give realistic scores anymore most of the worst games still score 7/10. Games from 8/10 are just ok nowadays and over 9/10 is actually good to great.

Nothing imaginary about it, is it right though? No the scaling should be 5 or 6 out of 10 is barely acceptable, 7 pretty ok, 8 really good, 9 great, 10, you won’t see this magnificent game often.
I don't disagree but as I said earlier, I think that only happens around games that have actual buzz around them, because there's a lot riding on that score both for publisher, and for the review outlet who wants to stay in good graces with that publisher. Would any major outlet care if Bloober will be angry with a 7/10 review? Probably not because they don't have that kind of clout in the industry.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
People hate them for 2 reasons:

- They made 2 Xbox timed exclusives
- People expect much more than 70/100 for Silent Hill

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Observer is still one of the best thrillers I've ever played. Haven't touched The Medium cause 30fps, but seems like Silent Hill 2 is a great fit for them.

I love Silent Hill so much that i don't care who is developing this. From what i have played of Bloober's games, i don't think they are that bad. It least its not something like a console version of book of memories. We are very fortunate Konami didn't do something like that. I think if this remake does good, Bloober is going to make an original Homepour esque title. If they haven't already started production on it.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Good video if you're curious to how they became so hated without someone throwing in delusional console war shenanigans

Someone already posted it, and here's what I think:

I did but it still sounds like he's reaching with many of those arguments, and he's being really manipulative with the editing and narration just to put Bloober in the worst possible light. Idolizing P.T. while being completely dismissive of Layers of Fear, or saying that it's okay if an entire genre is born out of everyone copying Resident Evil but when Bloober does the same with P.T. then they're hacks (it's nice to have double standards), or criticizing them for making derivative shovelware games back when they were still a tiny fledgling company that was yet to make their breakout game.

The only valid argument that he has there was the Raiders still, but that might as well be considered an easter egg, considering that they haven't done that anywhere else in the game and the image is not even the main focus in the game itself. I honestly can't even remember seeing it anywhere in the game. Layers of Fear 2 was also one giant homage to cinema history so obviously it will have plenty of references to it, so yeah, I call bullshit on that one. His arguments only grow thinner with each subsequent game (seriously, how dare he dismiss Observer as "just Blade Runner", what a fucking dick).

Also, on top of that, he's really sucking off Kojima's dick with that section about P.T. but he's being such a hypocrite. He fails to acknowledge that even Lisa isn't a wholly original concept either because she's just a tall, creepy, ghostly figure with a shaky head motion that was first done in Jacob's Ladder. It such a generic trope at this point that accussing Layers of Fear of ripping this idea off of P.T., as if P.T. invented horror, is ridiculous. And then he makes a mockery of the fact that characters in Layers of Fear remain unnamed as if that's supposed to be a valid criticism...? Like, honestly, he's grasping at straws so hard because he's coming from a place of bias and he somehow convinced himself that this developer is literally the worst thing ever.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

I did but it still sounds like he's reaching with many of those arguments, and he's being really manipulative with the editing and narration just to put Bloober in the worst possible light. Idolizing P.T. while being completely dismissive of Layers of Fear, or saying that it's okay if an entire genre is born out of everyone copying Resident Evil but when Bloober does the same with P.T. then they're hacks (it's nice to have double standards), or criticizing them for making derivative shovelware games back when they were still a tiny fledgling company that was yet to make their breakout game.

The only valid argument that he has there was the Raiders still, but that might as well be considered an easter egg, considering that they haven't done that anywhere else in the game and the image it's not even the main focus in the game itself. I honestly can't even remember seeing it anywhere in the game. Layers of Fear 2 was also one giant homage to cinema history so obviously it will have plenty of references to it, so yeah, I call bullshit on that one. His arguments only grow thinner with each subsequent game (seriously, how dare he dismiss Observer as "just Blade Runner", what a fucking dick).
Someone already posted it, and here's what I think:

Also, on top of that, he's really sucking off Kojima's dick with that section about P.T. but he's being such a hypocrite. He fails to acknowledge that even Lisa isn't a wholly original concept either because she's just a tall, creepy, ghostly figure with a shaky head motion that was first done in Jacob's Ladder. It such a generic trope at this point that accussing Layers of Fear of ripping this idea off of P.T., as if P.T. invented horror, is ridiculous. And then he makes a mockery of the fact that characters in Layers of Fear remain unnamed as if that's supposed to be a valid criticism...? Like, honestly, he's grasping at straws so hard because he's coming from a place of bias and he somehow convinced himself that this developer is literally the worst thing ever.
Ok I didn't know you were the number one bloober fan in the world before I replied to this thread.

Winter John

Gold Member
I love SH but after the Kojima mess and with it being handed to BT who let's be honest have barely scraped into mid tier, I just don't care anymore. I can't even be bothered to watch the trailers because I know, we all know, it will only end in disappointment. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. Maybe BT will deliver a stunning remake to match Resi Evil 2. I don't believe that. Nobody believes that. At best it will be competent. Not too good. Not too bad. Just sort of there like an Ubisoft game

It's just that they put out mediocre games but always have good graphics though.
They are a mediocre developer just like From Software is before they had an unexpected hit with Demon Souls. Unsurprisingly they only make Demon Souls like games after that hit.
I hope the Silent Hill remake is the Demon Souls from Blooper Team.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's just that they put out mediocre games but always have good graphics though.
They are a mediocre developer just like From Software is before they had an unexpected hit with Demon Souls. Unsurprisingly they only make Demon Souls like games after that hit.
the-rock.gif

They are a mediocre developer just like From Software is
before they had an unexpected hit with Demon Souls. Unsurprisingly they only make Demon Souls like games after that hit.
dwayne-the-rock.gif

I still don't understand how Blooper Team are still around these days. With how much mediocrity they released over the years and the fact they haven't went bankrupt is absurd to me.

If Silent Hill Remake is a commercial and critical failure, this studio will go under.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I still don't understand how Blooper Team are still around these days. With how much mediocrity they released over the years and the fact they haven't went bankrupt is absurd to me.

If Silent Hill Remake is a commercial and critical failure, this studio will go under.
I'm sorry that your wet dream to put an entire studio out of business just because you imagined that their games have been poorly received hasn't been realised yet.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Like they are absolutely right. You can count on one hand which of their games before DS surpassed 70 metascore.
Yeah, that's what I was going for, lol.

I don't even know what games they've made before Souls, aside from Armored Core which was probably their most successful IP in the early days. I never liked it though, those games always felt so clunky.

xrnzaaas

The decision to hire Bloober is a very dangerous one. Their previous games have barely any gameplay and they didn't make a big step forward in Medium - the exploration was still the main focus and there was no combat.

By the way I don't mean to sound like I don't like their games - I enjoy them, but something like Silent Hill is a much tougher project to complete. It needs to be a proper survival horror and obviously the expectations are very high.

killatopak

Yeah, that's what I was going for, lol.

I don't even know what games they've made before Souls, aside from Armored Core which was probably their most successful IP in the early days. I never liked it though, those games always felt so clunky.
Tenchu was pretty good. You can pretty much see the foundation of Souls combat here.
Pretty sure I’ve had those talks but whatever not important enough to waste time on it
I thought as much.

Top Bottom