• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I decided to start Dark Souls 2 - SotfS

SpiceRacz

Best Souls game.

Don't bother, it's not a very good game. Prioritize any other game in the series (on console so you can still play online)

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by Heels

You cant finish the game offline? Are you dumb? What a stupid thing to complain and no it's not a crucial component of the game and if you needed help with bosses well git gud.

rofif

Banned
And people are ok with this? Part of the souls experience is co-op and invasions.
It's a fkn bummer. I wanted to replay the vanilla ds2 on steam since on ps, the only ds2 is sotfs. I know ds2 was not very active but I still would've liked to replay it with

Soodanim

Gold Member
absolutely. People just shit on it because it's not dark souls 1 part 2.
I shit on it because of its busted movement, shitty animations, and unnecessary changes to the core gameplay.
You cant finish the game offline? Are you dumb? What a stupid thing to complain and no it's not a crucial component of the game and if you needed help with bosses well git gud.
That's some weak trolling, you can do better than that

I shit on it because of its busted movement, shitty animations, and unnecessary changes to the core gameplay.

Imagine not enjoying a game because you cant have coop/invasions. YOu can finish the game from start to finish, same experience, offline. The game does not become worse because it lacks the feature.

rofif

Banned

The changes are for the better. ds1 is annoying af if you get back to it now. I find it aging badly (still amazing game).
The movement is realyl weird in ds2 because it snaps to cardinal directions and it's not fully analog... I mean it is but it's weird.
Animations are fine. Even unique backstab and riposte animations for different weapons types.
It got the best UI in the series and it's the ONLY soulsbornekiroring game that does not follow the same math for leveling in order to have you level more and allow for more customization.

But ok ok. I can see why people don't like this game. It grew on me over time

Dark Souls 2 is probably the best Dark Souls game. Dark Souls 1's second half is the weakest out of all Soulsborne. Dark Souls 3 is good, but it lacks its own identity. Every area seems like a remix of other Soulsborne games.

I would still put Elden Ring, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls over Dark Souls 2, but DS2 is an excellent game.

rofif

Banned
Dark Souls 2 is probably the best Dark Souls game. Dark Souls 1's second half is the weakest out of all Soulsborne. Dark Souls 3 is good, but it lacks its own identity. Every area seems like a remix of other Soulsborne games.

I would still put Elden Ring, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls over Dark Souls 2, but DS2 is an excellent game.
Agree. Dark Souls 3 did elevated in my eyes after I finally played Ringed City. It's a fantastic game... just as you said - it's "the best of" dark souls but that is fine. It is exactly what people wanted from the sequel after ds1 and the reason why people disliked ds2.
No sure where I rank Elden Ring. I dont like it as much as ds2 and ds3. It lacks balance, focus and it's a mess to replay since caves rewards suck ass for most part. but I still can't put it down haha

Banned
And apparently the online component is removed, and there is no ETA when it is up again. What kind of bullshit is this? I read it was because of a securiry issue, but it was discovered 6 months ago. You are telling me that they couldnt patch this issue in a halfyears timeframe?

I feel robbed.

don't play a Souls game on PC, that is a general rule of thumb sadly. their anti cheat is basically non-existent and it became so bad that they had to take all of them offline.

Dark Souls 2 is a great game once you come to terms with its shortcomings, the DLC areas in particular are very good. It has a different "feel" to 1 & 2, for sure, but there's a lot of variety in terms of environments and builds.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I just finished DS2 recently. It's a great game and absolutely massive!!! Follow Fighting Cowboys walkthrough on YouTube if you get stuck or hit a wall.

Following DS2 and previously DS1, I just wrapped up Bloodborne on the weekend and got the platinum! Onto Sekiro now which is so hard, I remember why I stopped playing this at launch lol.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Imagine not enjoying a game because you cant have coop/invasions. YOu can finish the game from start to finish, same experience, offline. The game does not become worse because it lacks the feature.
See, you can do better if you just try. Keep it up and you’ll be winding people up left right and centre.
The changes are for the better. ds1 is annoying af if you get back to it now. I find it aging badly (still amazing game).
The movement is realyl weird in ds2 because it snaps to cardinal directions and it's not fully analog... I mean it is but it's weird.
Animations are fine. Even unique backstab and riposte animations for different weapons types.
It got the best UI in the series and it's the ONLY soulsbornekiroring game that does not follow the same math for leveling in order to have you level more and allow for more customization.

But ok ok. I can see why people don't like this game. It grew on me over time
Personally, I’ve been back to DS1 many times, including after 2 and after 3. It plays just fine for me, but I’ve tried 2 a few times since and I can never like it. 1 knows what it wants to be, but 2 made changes to try and subvert what 1 did like ridiculous levels of tracking or trying a core mechanic to a stat. Its identity is anti-1.

DS2 has a lot that I’m disappointed didn’t return, so they really threw the baby out with the bath water there. But the best thing 3 did was return the core things I mentioned (animations, movement, etc) back to normal.

I agree about 1 and 3. 3 tries too hard to be not only 1’s sequel, but also can’t get its mind off Bloodborne. Enemies all speed up, but we have the same old roll. 3 is a fun but ultimately confused game.

I would love to play a version of 2 where it’s all of the content, warts and all, but thrown into any other game’s movement and core gameplay. There’s lots of good, but it’s wasted for me because they ruined the basics and made the game feel odd to play.

angelgs90

I liked it. Some environments are great. I didn't like the smaller life bar everytime you died, but otherwise it's a very solid game.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I'm probably one of the few people on this planet who actually liked the adaptability stat. I feel like it added to the RPG aspect of the game, if that makes any sense. It made me more cautious about creating my build instead of just mindlessly pouring all my souls into health and strength.

SkylineRKR

DS2 is great and has awesome builds. But its also the most fun Souls play online, if thats gone then well, its a bummer.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
DS2 is a good game and rightfully deserves its place in the canon. It's flawed, for sure, but it's also interesting and was clearly a conscious departure from the its two predecessors. I feel like platform constraints and ambition ultimately hobbled them. Still, I love how many unique ticks it has and the clear intention that underpins it. At the same time it has some utterly batshit decisions (like the lift from Earthen Peak up to up the Iron Fortress), that I would dearly love to understand.

lyan

I'm probably one of the few people on this planet who actually liked the adaptability stat. I feel like it added to the RPG aspect of the game, if that makes any sense. It made me more cautious about creating my build instead of just mindlessly pouring all my souls into health and strength.
I just pretend it as an extra weight-like stat and forget it exists once I raised it enough, way too overblown imo.

Gandih42

See, you can do better if you just try. Keep it up and you’ll be winding people up left right and centre.

Personally, I’ve been back to DS1 many times, including after 2 and after 3. It plays just fine for me, but I’ve tried 2 a few times since and I can never like it. 1 knows what it wants to be, but 2 made changes to try and subvert what 1 did like ridiculous levels of tracking or trying a core mechanic to a stat. Its identity is anti-1.

DS2 has a lot that I’m disappointed didn’t return, so they really threw the baby out with the bath water there. But the best thing 3 did was return the core things I mentioned (animations, movement, etc) back to normal.

I agree about 1 and 3. 3 tries too hard to be not only 1’s sequel, but also can’t get its mind off Bloodborne. Enemies all speed up, but we have the same old roll. 3 is a fun but ultimately confused game.

I would love to play a version of 2 where it’s all of the content, warts and all, but thrown into any other game’s movement and core gameplay. There’s lots of good, but it’s wasted for me because they ruined the basics and made the game feel odd to play.

DS2 definitely isn't my favorite of the bunch but I think it's the one I've gone back to the most. I can't fault you for disliking the change to the overall feel of the game - I'm assuming this was due to it being a different team developing it - I really feel like it gave the game a lot of its unique identity. Which I really like. It just feels so different to the others, which made it very fresh to me. Combined with what I think is the most build and weapon variety of all the games.

I'd say its the most flawed but also the most unique of the bunch.

A shame about the servers though, I hope they get back up soon. I'd be fine playing it offline, but its absolutely more fun with the online active.

Top Bottom